Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl LI (51) NFL Championship Game Thread

LucasOilStadium

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Actually thats typical Falcons.......if you talk to a Saints fan all year long like I do and read Saints fans forums they have been screaming for a while that the Falcons really just ripped off the Saints playbook and copied it. And run the Saints 2.0 offense. I seen Saints fans literally call out Falcons plays before it happens. Only difference when the Saints were good they were more of a second half team and the Falcons are a total first half team.

Also, what Atlanta does alllll year long is get a big early lead and just try to sit on that lead. They did lose 5 games so you have to look at how they lost those. Both the Chargers and KC I believe came back and beat them.

Yeah, that's ugly.  It was reminiscent of the Packers and Seahawks game from a couple of years ago where the Pack had a 16 (?) point lead and sat on it instead of continuing to play aggressively.  After the first couple of drives in the second half, I thought to myself that the Falcons were taking their foot off the gas too early.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Wait! That can't be true, because they looked like they had never played a game with a lead. Lol

Pats looked pretty bad for the first half but they cracked down in the second and became the D again we saw all regular season long.

I think the Falcons are used to the NFC South where the teams cave easier against them. 

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yeah, that's ugly.  It was reminiscent of the Packers and Seahawks game from a couple of years ago where the Pack had a 16 (?) point lead and sat on it instead of continuing to play aggressively.  After the first couple of drives in the second half, I thought to myself that the Falcons were taking their foot off the gas too early.

I have come to learn not to trust the Packers anymore either. lmao Sad but true. The only way I think the Packers get back to the SB these days with the defenses they have had is to get homefield advantage. They can't do too many road games in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

I still think the Warriors choke job was worse, as that one lasted 3 games. This one is probably worst in NFL history

I called the Cavs to come back and beat the Warriors. lmao That one didn't truly shock me as bad, since when you have Lebron James on your team is it a shocker when his team wins?

Biggest choke job to me in history EASILY is the 2004 Yankees, period. That was......bad.

Have a good night all, don't worry the Colts will be back on top again soon and Brady maybe will retire in a year or two. 

Jules what's going on with that cat?

The Falcons just made Rodgers look like a statpadder. While I've been critical of him, statpadder he is not and I've never called him 1. And they made McCarthy look like Lombardi. I mean it was a 16 point lead that was covered in 2 possessions, not 3. That technically means they found the enzone 4 times lol! I mean just how lol!!!

48 minutes ago, IinD said:

Atlanta was lucky to even be in that position honestly. Brady throwing the pick six and Blount fumbling were gifts from heaven that never happen to NE.

ATL's bad defense showed it's face in the end 

Better team won as much as it sucks.

In no way is NE the better team they got * smacked in the first half 

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In no way is NE the better team they got * smacked in the first half 

They won man. 

Had a bad game by their standards and still won. No way does NE usually give up 2 bad turnovers like they did today. Let alone a pick 6.

Atlanta is old school Colts, score a lot and hope your D holds.

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

They won man. 

Had a bad game by their standards and still won. No way does NE usually give up 2 bad turnovers like they did today. Let alone a pick 6.

Atlanta is old school Colts, score a lot and hope your D holds.

No they actually have a good D they put Brady's * in the dirt over and over the Falcons coaches screwed the entire team.

1 hour ago, corgi said:

Seriously though, let's all be happy we're not Falcons fans tonight. Can you even imagine? That SuperBowl loss to he Saints has nothing on this.

Ohh yeah I would be EXTREAMLY upset if I was a Falcons fan.  Bone headed mistakes, penalties, terrible situational awareness, bad play calling ect lost them that one.  They had that one in the bag.  It took a really big effort to blow that game. 

It was like watching two different games last night.

The first half I think we were all like   WOW  This Falcons team is legit.   5 sacks on Brady, plus an interception, Ryan at the half, I believe, had a near perfect passer rating, etc.....

But this is why they play the game 60 minutes.   The Pats were no longer to be humiliated and denied another championship.   The second half, particularly the 4th quarter was nothing short of amazing.     It has to be the sweetest win ever for the Pats.    

I was so disappointed in,  and for,   the Falcons.   It's like they just gave up. 

Definitely one for the record books, and  It is what it is.    As much as it makes me want to :puke:   I'll just take the high road and Congratulate the Pats.    

I hope we can get our crap together and be contenders again.

8 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

You know what sucks? The Peyton-Brady debate is essentially over now. I still think Peyton is the greater, more dominant player (while Brady is amazing, he still got the greatest coach of all time too), but with this win, I don't see how anyone other than Colts fan/ People who hate the Pats will disagree with the notion that Brady isn't the goat.

The debate will rage on probably forever.  

Brady is the greatest "Playoffs / Super Bowl" QB ever, that I can concede, though Montana's flawless 4-0 SB record can be argued as even MORE money than Brady in SBs.  (If not for Atlanta's colossal meltdown & Seatlle's play calling brain fart, Brady's SB record would be 3-4 instead of 5-2.)

The argument for best QB generally, though, I would still take Manning & Marino ahead of Brady.   The only thing Brady has on them other than playoff success, is the "goat" coach and actually decent defences.   Until the end of time I will argue that if you switch out Brady for Manning or Marino on all of those Pats teams, then NE has even greater success.

The eye test of what I have seen in my 50 years of watching the NFL is that no QB, ever, had the command of a game like Manning did, and no QB ever was a better passer than Marino was.   

For me, the 4 best QBs I have seen are Manning, Marino, Brady, and Bert Jones. (Aaron Rodgers might still make the list, depending upon the next few years.)  

The two best "money" QBs I have seen are Joe Montana & Tom Brady.

This is kind of sad but that is the most depressed I've been after a super bowl ever and that includes the one the colts lost which was real rough. Just having to hear about the 5 Rings that team now has for the rest of my life makes me sick to my stomach I had to take a personal day today lmao. 

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No they actually have a good D they put Brady's * in the dirt over and over the Falcons coaches screwed the entire team.

That was the first half, the second half Brady had a clean pocket. The difference is the Falcons NEVER brought extra pressure and Brady carved them up.

also the Pats D gave up only 21 points (should have been 20 but that bogus call on the blocked extra point happened.) I don't think I could have asked the D play much better. (One drive had like 2 amazing catches that led to a TD.) 

35 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The debate will rage on probably forever.  

Brady is the greatest "Playoffs / Super Bowl" QB ever, that I can concede, though Montana's flawless 4-0 SB record can be argued as even MORE money than Brady in SBs.  (If not for Atlanta's colossal meltdown & Seatlle's play calling brain fart, Brady's SB record would be 3-4 instead of 5-2.)

The argument for best QB generally, though, I would still take Manning & Marino ahead of Brady.   The only thing Brady has on them other than playoff success, is the "goat" coach and actually decent defences.   Until the end of time I will argue that if you switch out Brady for Manning or Marino on all of those Pats teams, then NE has even greater success.

The eye test of what I have seen in my 50 years of watching the NFL is that no QB, ever, had the command of a game like Manning did, and no QB ever was a better passer than Marino was.   

For me, the 4 best QBs I have seen are Manning, Marino, Brady, and Bert Jones. (Aaron Rodgers might still make the list, depending upon the next few years.)  

The two best "money" QBs I have seen are Joe Montana & Tom Brady.

Marino would suck in the Pats O. We had a Marino light here before Brady called Bledsoe (I said light so not as good.)  I also think marino held his team back from winning more because he was more about HIS stats than winning. 

As for Manning, that is very possible the man studied as much as Brady and had more natural talent to begin with. God only knows how great he have been with BB.

57 minutes ago, Gramz said:

It was like watching two different games last night.

The first half I think we were all like   WOW  This Falcons team is legit.   5 sacks on Brady, plus an interception, Ryan at the half, I believe, had a near perfect passer rating, etc.....

But this is why they play the game 60 minutes.   The Pats were no longer to be humiliated and denied another championship.   The second half, particularly the 4th quarter was nothing short of amazing.     It has to be the sweetest win ever for the Pats.    

I was so disappointed in,  and for,   the Falcons.   It's like they just gave up. 

Definitely one for the record books, and  It is what it is.    As much as it makes me want to :puke:   I'll just take the high road and Congratulate the Pats.    

I hope we can get our crap together and be contenders again.

It was so disappointing. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but clock management was terrible in the second half. Why were the Falcons snapping the ball with like 10 seconds on the clock? Why were they not running more to eat up clock? I can't stop thinking about that dumb sack in the 4th quarter which I believe was the biggest play of the game. I think that is when I thought Atlanta would lose. :(

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It was so disappointing. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but clock management was terrible in the second half. Why were the Falcons snapping the ball with like 10 seconds on the clock? Why were they not running more to eat up clock? I can't stop thinking about that dumb sack in the 4th quarter which I believe was the biggest play of the game. I think that is when I thought Atlanta would lose. :(

Oh definitely.   I remember thinking right before that, they were in FG range, which would have made it a two score lead.  Such  boneheaded play calling and clock management.

That had to be one of the most disappointing superbowls I've ever watched.  I thought for sure I was winning my $20 back.  I can't believe ATL gave up a 25 point lead.  I called it from Edelman insane catch though.  I said NE would score easily then easily get the 2 point conversion then ATL would not even come close to field goal range, the game would go to O.T. NE would get the ball and they would score in less than 2 minutes.  I was hoping I'd be wrong.  The only thing I'd like to see happen is Brady retire after winning his fifth and being considered the best ever but I don't think that will quite happen.  I think he'll play another year or two. 

I'm just starting to find it a little odd that every single year whatever hype story the media makes up ALWAYS comes true. Ray Lewis SB year he retired Giants beating the Pats AGAIN Peyton winning on his way out now the Patriots "overcoming the stacked odds" it's lame it's like whatever story give the NFL the mout attention always comes true 

Nothing like walking into work hearing about how Patriots fans were all surprised and shocked that they came back. I mean, seriously, I called this game from the start. They've done this over and over again. Why do they get surprised? Haven't they seen the Patriots pull out enough games to never count them out? Why does this pathetic little Bills fan have more faith in the Patriots than the majority of their fans do?

20 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Jules what's going on with that cat?

It's a David Bowie cat. lmao 

hqdefault.jpg

19 hours ago, presto123 said:

Gaga killed that halftime show. Yes, she borrows heavily from Madonna, but I have to give her props. She commands a stage like few do.

Gaga was GREAT.  I wonder if it inspired the Pats. lmao  You have to think Bill B. was saying to the Pats at halftime, "Okay come on guys listen to Gaga........tap your feet. ENERGY GIVE ME ENERGY!!!!!!! WAKE UP!!!!!!!"

I like some Madonna songs but Gaga is a better singer all around to me.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

I agree, Jules. Not only is she an awesome performer, Gaga is a true singer.  She can sing any genre of music, and sing them all to perfection.   I thought she did an incredible job last night.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

hqdefault.jpg

Gaga was GREAT.  I wonder if it inspired the Pats. lmao  You have to think Bill B. was saying to the Pats at halftime, "Okay come on guys listen to Gaga........tap your feet. ENERGY GIVE ME ENERGY!!!!!!! WAKE UP!!!!!!!"

Even Lady Gaga is too Satanic for Bill Belichick.  She's one weird girl.

5 hours ago, Jules said:

hqdefault.jpg

I agree with BOTH of you guys that Gaga is the better singer and musician, but Madonna is the queen of pop. She is a better dancer than Gaga and when I'm comparing the catalogue, it's no question.  Madonna's songs are flat out better. Madonna is still making great songs to this day. When Gaga is still cranking songs out after 35 years, we can call it a draw. Until then, Madonna reigns:)

Apparently viewership was down for the SB this year.  according the Nielsen data, it was the smallest audience in the past 4 years.

117.7 million viewers

Peak viewership of Super Bowl LI, just as the game was going into overtime. That’s slightly higher than another good moment in the broadcast, Lady Gaga’s halftime show, which pulled in 117.5 million. Overall, the game drew its smallest audience in four years — 111.3 million viewers, according to Nielsen data. [Reuters]

On 2/5/2017 at 5:46 PM, buccolts said:

I'm just not entertained by any dance number.

Gaga is a talented singer, but I don't particularly care for her music, so nothing there for my entertainment.

Ha, not surprised from a guy with Waits as your avatar!!! & I totally agree. However, there's this Russian fingerstyle guitarist named Igor Presnyakov who does instrumental cover versions of random songs & they're pretty great, & I actually love several of his versions of "pop" songs, kind of cool hearing the songs stripped down to their essence...

Anyways thought you may appreciate his stuff... He has a YouTube channel with lots of good tunes...

3 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, not surprised from a guy with Waits as your avatar!!! & I totally agree. However, there's this Russian fingerstyle guitarist named Igor Presnyakov who does instrumental cover versions of random songs & they're pretty great, & I actually love several of his versions of "pop" songs, kind of cool hearing the songs stripped down to their essence...

Anyways thought you may appreciate his stuff... He has a YouTube channel with lots of good tunes...

Thanks for the referral, very nice stuff.

Yes, I do appreciate stuff like that. Covers of good rock songs, and it does give you a good listen of a pop song you may not have cared for, but sounds soo much better accoustically.

Back in the '70s, and '80s there was a series of albums (albums) called 'The Secret Policeman's Ball'.

It was live accoustic recordings of rock bands paying their own stuff. Really good stuff.

I also like Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt'.

But, I've now strayed waaaay off topic.

Thanks again, though.

C4AgUFnWIAIcNFZ.jpg

That tells it all. Seahawks and Falcons couldn't keep pressuring Brady enoug, though maybe for little different reasons; 'Hawks lost Avril, Falcons lacked depth ang were completely gassed at the end.

New England ran 93 plays, more than double the Falcons’ total. The last time a team ran 93 plays in a game was in 2013; before then, nobody had done so since 2002. According to Pro-Football-Reference, this is the first time in NFL history that a team ran 90 or more plays against an opponent that ran fewer than 50.

https://theringer.com/nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-atlanta-falcons-new-england-patriots-comeback-win-48bdb5aae93d#.6comxujsv

On 2/6/2017 at 8:57 AM, Gramz said:

Oh definitely.   I remember thinking right before that, they were in FG range, which would have made it a two score lead.  Such  boneheaded play calling and clock management.

They were probably thinking FG are not going to win the game only TD will. I thought the pass play on 3rd and 1 was even worse call. But I'll take it! Lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, corgi said:

Joe Montana was eventually dethroned. So to shall Brady.

Let's see.  Joe won his fourth SB in 1990.  Brady his fifth in 2017.  It took 27 years to dethrone Joe.  That sounds about right.  See you in 2044.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:28 PM, NannyMcafee said:

And so, the entire NFL hatred for the patriots continues. 

Yes, thank you.  Please keep it up.  Don't start liking us now that we pulled this off.  Hate us.  The Hate fuels us and drives us.  Bring it on!  

51 minutes ago, NYCfan said:

Let's see.  Joe won his fourth SB in 1990.  Brady his fifth in 2017.  It took 27 years to dethrone Joe.  That sounds about right.  See you in 2044.

Thanks for your opinion. Feel free to not quote me ever again.