Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard press conference 1/30

ColtsPacersfan

Just watched the presser.  Never seen him or heard him before this.  I gotta say, he reminds me a little of a younger Jon Gruden.  Not in his accent, which seems to have a little twang to it, but in his demeanor, his attitude, his facial expressions, his confidence, and his ability to command the presser.  I like it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Cliche?  Me?  This is a team forum.  I'm just trying to improve in all phases of my posts.  I'm not here to cry over spilled milk.  I'm just gonna work hard and get better.

And you're going to take it one day at a time!

And when the going gets tough,  the tough will get going!

And you're at your best when your back is against the wall!

:thmup:                     :colts:

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I ran out of likes TWF. Here are 4 thumbs up instead my man. :thmup::thmup::thmup::thmup: 

Touche. Those are phenomenal songs BTW.

To be completely candid with you, the reason why I always think of Glen's 'Phoenix' number is because of actor Al Pacino in "Heat." A great scene & director Michael Mann can do no wrong in my book. His 'Blackhat' picture, a regrettable disappointment to me, is better than most A list directors working today, but I digress. 

Yeah, I'm a big fan of that Mr. Campbell.  I wasn't implying that Glen wasn't tough, that's why I said toughER.   

Michael Mann directed one of my all time favorite movies, The Jericho Mile early in his career.  The final scene is my favorite scene of all time.

Best thing I like from what I learned about his presser is his emphasis on "Team".  Not about one guy, but about the entire roster.  Coming together for the benefit of the horse shoe.  Seems to really grasp the concept of having a complete team and being a team player which I like quite a bit.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think he's ever said anything like that about anyone, not right up front. It's easy to dismiss it as fluff for the fans, and that's probably what it amounts to, but it's still attention grabbing. And coming from Irsay, who has worked with a lot of people in the NFL, seen a lot of things, talked to a lot of guys, and hired and signed a lot of HOFers, it's probably something to keep tucked in the back of your mind.

The bar is definitely set high. 

Agreed 100.

Fantastic first impression and I think he will do very well under Irsay who will understand how to help guide him when it comes to tough decisions. As I understand it, Irsay will probably take council from Polian from time to time, so the whole mentor thing is actually set perfectly up for Ballard to succeed.

It is also interesting to note that Ballard stresses some of the same things that Pagano do. Like team first, work hard, it starts in the trenches, having a solid defense, being accountable etc. Even if Ballard is not totally sold on Pagano, they will work great together I think. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Fantastic first impression and I think he will do very well under Irsay who will understand how to help guide him when it comes to tough decisions. As I understand it, Irsay will probably take council from Polian from time to time, so the whole mentor thing is actually set perfectly up for Ballard to succeed.

It is also interesting to note that Ballard stresses some of the same things that Pagano do. Like team first, work hard, it starts in the trenches, having a solid defense, being accountable etc. Even if Ballard is not totally sold on Pagano, they will work great together I think. 

Yeah I agree.  I think he is coming in with an open mind and no preconceived conclusions. Chuck can definitely earn his trust and confidence. This pair has the makings of a great and successful combination IMO. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Getting-to-Know-Colts-GM-Chris-Ballard/38f2a7e6-4dff-4b08-8db6-e61e666a008d?sf53616096=1

So in watching the Colts interview with Ballard, I found where he said that he isn't going to dictate schemes or other things to the coaches. This appears to be a change from what we saw with Grigson who was rumored to be meddling in coaching decisions at different points.

8 minutes ago, Restored said:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Getting-to-Know-Colts-GM-Chris-Ballard/38f2a7e6-4dff-4b08-8db6-e61e666a008d?sf53616096=1

So in watching the Colts interview with Ballard I found where he said that he isn't going to dictate schemes or other things to the coaches. This appears to be a change from what we saw with Grigson who was rumored to be meddling in coaching decisions at different points.

Yep, was very happy to hear this too.

7 minutes ago, corgi said:

Curious if there will be any coaching staff changes soon.

I think it's safe to say there won't be.

One of Ballard's strengths was his apparent ability to put a good staff around him though, I remember reading that a few days back. I hope he gets his chance if he doesn't feel this staff is good enough.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

One of Ballard's strengths was his apparent ability to put a good staff around him though, I remember reading that a few days back. I hope he gets his chance if he doesn't feel this staff is good enough.

I'd like to think his plan is to meet with coaches this week and then speak with Pagano and make decisions.

1 minute ago, corgi said:

I'd like to think his plan is to meet with coaches this week and then speak with Pagano and make decisions.

One can only hope.

He could make a small change here or there, to a position coach or scouts or something, but I'd be pretty shocked if it was anything bigger than that.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

One can only hope.

He could make a small change here or there, to a position coach or scouts or something, but I'd be pretty shocked if it was anything bigger than that.

I think the defensive staff would face more changes than offense. Special teams may see some new faces as well. Like you I can't imagine it will be anything major.

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Honestly, it doesn't even need to be a top defense. If Luck just had a top 15 defense most years we would be hard to beat.

That would be satisfactory as well. As long as it isn't the % that Grigson "built" because we've had one of the worst defenses in history the past couple of seasons now.

10 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

As possible as it might be, I still doubt it. If Grigson and Pagano had such a bad relationship, why didn't Grigs fire Pagano? The answer is that I don't think he had a choice. No difference with Ballard. Maybe he calls the shots in the future, but for now it seems to be Irsay's call?

He didn't fire both cause he didn't wanna eat all the cash from both extensions plus he would look really foolish % canning both after those big extensions

44 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

One of Ballard's strengths was his apparent ability to put a good staff around him though, I remember reading that a few days back. I hope he gets his chance if he doesn't feel this staff is good enough.

I also wonder if by "staff", it was meant for his scouting and front office people and not coaching staff.

14 minutes ago, Restored said:

I also wonder if by "staff", it was meant for his scouting and front office people and not coaching staff.

Yup, that's what I meant too. Mentioned scouting changes in the next post. 

It would make sense if those are the first moves, if any, he makes. Especially with his scouting background.

4 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Very impressed with him!!  Humble and intelligent.  Heck, if he and his wife can raise 5 kids, then he should have no trouble running an NFL team :D

Not necessarily because Grigson has six.  Maybe five is the cutoff.

On a serious note, Jim needed to find a leader who is capable of representing the organization like Polian used to.  I am more than impressed with Ballard's first press conference as a GM.  I can't wait.

My favorite line:  Every decision we make will be the best interests of the shoe.  

At the very least, this hopefully means you won't half destroy a season or two beating your head against the wall with a Richardson or Werner, but I hope he takes it even further, to Belichickian levels.

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He didn't fire both cause he didn't wanna eat all the cash from both extensions plus he would look really foolish % canning both after those big extensions

I don't think firing them that early into their extensions was that big of a deal. Honestly I felt the extensions were more of a political statement than anything like saying, "We need to get better, but I'm placing my confidence in you guys to right the ship." I don't feel many would have been shocked if either or both were fired after this season if we didn't improve. I also think it really shouldn't be shocking to anyone that Grigson would be fired before Pagano. The results sort of speak for themselves. Pagano has not had a season under 8-8 all doing it with no help from Grigson in creating the hard-nosed, tough-in-the-trenches roster Chuck envisioned. What does Grigson have to show for his time here? Multiple years of virtually no acquisition left. 1 mediocre year of defensive drafting and an arguably average year in improving the o-line. This guy has failed to build a youthful core and has added little to no pieces to help the team become the kind of team it was envisioned to be in this era. Chuck has some pretty earned knocks against him for his play-calling and clock management, but I don't blame Irsay for giving him another chance with a GM who may actually given him some of the pieces this team needs rather than wasting picks on under-performing pass rushers, luxury wide receiver picks, and guys who never even see the field. 

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I don't think it had anything to do with the money or worrying he would look foolish. I think it was more about the importance he puts on continuity,  and wanting to give Pagano a chance to show what he can do without Grigson. 

I finally got to watch the video of the presser with Ballard, and I must say, I'm impressed !!  He seems very well spoken and knows what he needs to do in order to make the Colts strong again.

I'm anxious for things to get started again and see what happens !!!