Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Sanjay Lal as WR coach

Everyone

Irsay has put a lot of thought into this. He clearly believes the issues were at the top with Ryan and with talent. He made a conscience decision to fire Ryan and keep Chuck. He thinks the staff has the ability to be good (as evident the first few years) but an infusion of talent is necessary. That said when the new GM comes in they will have a year to feel out this roster and then determine the best way to shape this organization into a championship caliber team. Obviously if one of these GMs could bring in a coach of considerable caliber (Gruden etc) then I think Irsay would allow wholesale change....but I don't think any GM is going to do much better than Chuck with who is available. I think the GM will be able to evaluate the staff that we have and make all the changes he wants as he goes along...but having a decent coach in place that the players respect and play hard for and a staff with some very good assistants isn't going to turn one of these guys away. Lal was out...he accepted a great gig to work with TY and Moncrief and Dorsett and Luck....its a great opportunity to go from a barren wasteland of talent in Buffalo to some nice pieces and a dang good QB to get the ball to his guys. WIN!! I'm excited for our guys. I think we needed a new wr coach....watching our guys get off jams and get into their routes was painful for me. Anything to improve them and make Andrews job easier and get these guys open would be great.

1 hour ago, mahagga73 said:

Doesn't mean it's not * backwards.  And you have no idea what they are thinking about Pagano. I bet it's one of if not the first thing they bring up. Irsay basically stripped them of the power to get their own guy in there before they even get in there. What happens if next year is 10-6 , we make the playoffs , but the new GM still wants his own guy and Irsay disagrees . It sets itself up as a potential problem all I'm saying. But it is what it is . 

Get over your Pagano hate it's blinding being the colts GM is a very attractive position even with Pagano attached . A top O in the league a rebuild to the D and this team is ready to play with the big boys . What GM would want to switch to a new coach new system a complete roster rebuild after a successful season ? I'll tell you GMs that are no longer GMs

Just now, B~Town said:

Get over your Pagano hate it's blinding being the colts GM is a very attractive position even with Pagano attached . A top O in the league a rebuild to the D and this team is ready to play with the big boys . What GM would want to switch to a new coach new system a complete roster rebuild after a successful season ? I'll tell you GMs that are no longer GMs

Successful season ? 8-8. That defense needs a complete overhaul. It's old and bad . I don't hate Pagano , I think he's OK as a coach, but the Colts can do better if they ever want to see another SB. 

Everyone here is way overthinking things.

A. He is a WR COACH, not an assistant HC, not a OC, not a DC. I am not disrespecting the position or its importance just saying that the WR coach is most likely decided by the HC who IS going to be our coach next year, guaranteed. I can guarantee you the new GM is not going to care that Sanjay was brought in as the WR coach. 

B. See above. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Once upon a time, Jim Irsay was the GM of the Colts, back when his father owned the team.  There is no reason he can't do it again for a little while until he finds somebody he likes.  There's no rush really.

You've convinced me. Raye will be fine.

5 hours ago, azcolt said:

So much for the alleged asst coach hiring freeze and any chance for a new HC. Welcome, GM Jimmy Raye. Have fun counting paper clips while Chuck and Irsay make the decisions.

Where does this nonsense come from?      

This makes zero sense and you have to know this....       :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Superman said:

This list is a veritable Who's Who of GM candidates. These are THE GUYS you want to interview if you have an opening. They all heard Irsay say that Pagano is the coach in 2017, and they all signed on to interview anyways.

If the Pagano situation was a full stop, this list wouldn't be nearly impressive.

I think what it boils down to is that NFL personnel people don't hate the idea of working with Pagano nearly as much as you think they do/should. Especially since Irsay made it clear that Pagano is on notice.

Thanks You!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can everyone just please calm down and keep your powder dry?!?

Read Superman's post.    Think about it.     Then read it AGAIN!!

Seriously.     Don't over think this.     The reaction to the position opening has been very, very good.

This means they aren't freaked out about having Pagano as the HC in 2017, or having to deal with Irsay or anyone else.    

It's all good.      We'll end this process with a good GM who has a good resume'.

Thanks again,    S!                 :colts:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where does this nonsense come from?      

This makes zero sense and you have to know this....       :facepalm:

Fortunately lots of people can discuss Colts issues without insulting other posters. I'm surprised anyone who has posted 17,000 times wouldn't be tired of this behavior by now... or be taken down by the moderators. You don't have to agree with me but unless you are a Colts coach or administrator, you are just spouting opinions, too.  Believe me, I'm anxious to learn from you if you are actually so frickin knowledgeable.

8 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Fortunately lots of people can discuss Colts issues without insulting other posters. I'm surprised anyone who has posted 17,000 times wouldn't be tired of this behavior by now... or be taken down by the moderators. You don't have to agree with me but unless you are a Colts coach or administrator, you are just spouting opinions, too.  Believe me, I'm anxious to learn from you if you are actually so frickin knowledgeable.

Did you see Superman's post in this thread....?     Just scroll up a few posts, and you'll see that I've quoted it.

I think his post sums up correctly where we are and where we're going.      Today is a good day,  not a day to be taking shots out of frustration.  

And since you're weren't specific,  I don't know which behavior I'm supposed to be tired of?    Irsay has fired Grigson.      Most here are happy about that.      He's launched a GM search and almost all the top names you want in a search have responded that they are interested and are interviewing.

The search will likely be over in roughly a week or two.      You can wait that long....

This is all to the good.....

6 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Perhaps it isn't but I just don't see how this guy is going to get better all of a sudden at in-game coaching, team preparation , etc.  But we shall see.

A new GM doesn't get rid of slow starts and bad game planning. He'll be gone next year, if not this year. 

20 hours ago, Superman said:

This list is a veritable Who's Who of GM candidates. These are THE GUYS you want to interview if you have an opening. They all heard Irsay say that Pagano is the coach in 2017, and they all signed on to interview anyways.

If the Pagano situation was a full stop, this list wouldn't be nearly impressive.

I think what it boils down to is that NFL personnel people don't hate the idea of working with Pagano nearly as much as you think they do/should. Especially since Irsay made it clear that Pagano is on notice.

Or maybe they would like a crack at being a GM and the increased salary that comes with the job.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Or maybe they would like a crack at being a GM and the increased salary that comes with the job.

I don't see how that conflicts with my post, the point being that GMs aren't deterred from the Colts job on account of Pagano.

On 1/25/2017 at 3:11 PM, mahagga73 said:

I get that. But why tie down the next GM with this coach.  Could hurt our chances with some and they may be wondering what the hell is going on that Irsay won't can this guy. This doesn't work , it always ends up badly when you have people that the GM doesn't want forced on them. 

Any new GM will look at the pool of available coaches and quickly realize that none stand out as slam-dunk replacements to Pagano. Besides, talent is what's really missing from this team, especially on the defensive side. Pagano, like most coaches in the NFL, will only go as far as his talent allows.

Am i the only one who heard Irsay pretty clearly say something like "Pagano is our guy going into 2017, but once we hire a new gm we'll reevaluate everything from last season"

Idk to me that seems like he means that he won't hesitate to fire Pags if the new GM has a better guy in mind or if it's preventing us from getting a great GM 

How is this an improvement? Bills wrs aren't anything to brag about

They have no qb.

Theyre the buffalo bills. The second most cursed team in the NFL. Might as well get another guy from the browns while we are at it..

Sent from my SM-G935T *

3 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Am i the only one who heard Irsay pretty clearly say something like "Pagano is our guy going into 2017, but once we hire a new gm we'll reevaluate everything from last season"

Idk to me that seems like he means that he won't hesitate to fire Pags if the new GM has a better guy in mind or if it's preventing us from getting a great GM 

Not what he said. He said chuck is the coach for 2017. Stop. 

4 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Yes.    You're (practically)  the only guy.     That is NOT what Irsay said.

Now,  he may end up firing Pagano.   As the owner, Irsay can do what he wants.

But that's not what he said.     

What he said is that Pagano is the coach for 2017 and that the new GM will come in and evaluate everything and  then make his call.      The implications is that the evaluation is going to take basically a full season to make.

So, the new GM's views on the franchise won't be fully know until we see what he does -- if anything -- to the team after the 2017 season.     I'm talking what he does with Pagano,  the assistant coaches,  and the players.

From what I've seen of our WR's and other WR's around the league, our (besides TY) don't know how to use there hands to get open. 

All of the best receivers know know how to give db's a little nudge to create separation while running routes and making catches. Go watch tape of Antonio Brown. He's the master at it. Sometimes subtle. Sometimes blatant. Also go watch the Patriot receivers. They attack the db's as they are about to be contacted. If you allow the db to just put his hands on you, he redirects you and takes your momentum which allows him to stay with you and not allow you to get free. But if you attack his hands, it puts him on his heels and puts him in chase mode. 

Now go watch tape of Dorsett. He's still trying to get open and create separation with his legs and moves and not his hands. If this new WR coach can teach our young guys that, then I'm fine with the hire. I still think I would have rather had Reggie as the WR coach. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Of course, but I think he'd be a good WR coach.

I might agree but who knows if he even wants to. Why give up a cushy gig on the NFL network for that? I mean I guess Jerry Rice would make a good one too. Not saying Reggie wouldn't do it but he has more than enough money to not need a low level position coach... and I'm not sure he wants the job. It isn't like it's a glamorous job.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Not what he said. He said chuck is the coach for 2017. Stop. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.    You're (practically)  the only guy.     That is NOT what Irsay said.

Now,  he may end up firing Pagano.   As the owner, Irsay can do what he wants.

But that's not what he said.     

What he said is that Pagano is the coach for 2017 and that the new GM will come in and evaluate everything and  then make his call.      The implications is that the evaluation is going to take basically a full season to make.

So, the new GM's views on the franchise won't be fully know until we see what he does -- if anything -- to the team after the 2017 season.     I'm talking what he does with Pagano,  the assistant coaches,  and the players.

Calm yourselves now 

All's that happened was that I took "and that the new GM will come in and evaluate everything and  then make his call" to mean he could end up being fired.  Believe me,  I'm very very resigned to the fact that Pags is our coach going forward.  I'm not just saying things to will them to happen lol.  I just didn't take the same implication out of it as you guys did,  so again,  chill out.  

7 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Calm yourselves now 

All's that happened was that I took "and that the new GM will come in and evaluate everything and  then make his call" to mean he could end up being fired.  Believe me,  I'm very very resigned to the fact that Pags is our coach going forward.  I'm not just saying things to will them to happen lol.  I just didn't take the same implication out of it as you guys did,  so again,  chill out.  

I don't think my post could have been more calm/chill. Just getting old seeing that, when Irsay clearly said he'll be here next year. 

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I might agree but who knows if he even wants to. Why give up a cushy gig on the NFL network for that? I mean I guess Jerry Rice would make a good one too. Not saying Reggie wouldn't do it but he has more than enough money to not need a low level position coach... and I'm not sure he wants the job. It isn't like it's a glamorous job.

He had some comments on Twitter a few weeks ago that made me think he might be interested. It's not something I'm overly concerned with, but I do believe he'd be good at it if he wanted to do it. 

On 1/27/2017 at 0:02 AM, dgambill said:

Man, speaking of Jerry Rice, I remember going to the first Circle City Classic with my dad and him saying "Watch this Rice guy at WR, he's gonna be pretty good".  I don't think even he realized just how correct that statement would become.

On January 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Superman said:

I don't expect him to. I think Pagano is as good as he's going to be, and that's not good enough. But if he were to do a much better job moving forward, he wouldn't be the first guy to improve at his job. 

It's also possible that a new front office exposes Pagano to better information, which helps him gameplan and make adjustments more effectively. I'm not counting on it, but it's not impossible for Pagano to get better.

The key to any successful person, no matter their profession, is to always be learning and improving.  So I would hope that Pagano is a better coach in 2017 than he was in 2016.  If he is not, then shame on him.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:13 PM, Superman said:

He had some comments on Twitter a few weeks ago that made me think he might be interested. It's not something I'm overly concerned with, but I do believe he'd be good at it if he wanted to do it. 

I didn't hear that. I guess I just figured he like the limelight and was enjoying the gig on tv. I too am not concerned I guess I just  heard this so much I just didn't see any evidence he even wanted to coach.