Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor central -- Pagano and Grigson reports, 1/16 (merge)

gnet550

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, it wasn't handled well I agree with you on that no matter what happens.  

I think it is wrong to keep Grigson waiting. But if Irsay plans in keeping Grigson and firing Pagano. Pagano might have restated if he is fired he is done so there is no rush really for Irsay. We all complain(including me) but Irsay is at least trying to do the best he can. He is going big. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

One thing I know about Mike Shanahan is we would run the football consistently like I like. I will say that.

You could say that. Now I thinking more in the line of Kyle Shanahan as HC, but with his father Mike hired as an HC assistant/mentor to council his son (if he wish) the first couple of years. Whatever setup those two would like. Might not be that crazy. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

You could say that. Now I thinking more in the line of Kyle Shanahan as HC, but with his father Mike hired as an HC assistant/mentor to council his son (if he wish) the first couple of years. Whatever setup those two would like. Might not be that crazy. 

It's not out of the question.  Based on the silence coming out of headquarters, someone is probably still brewing.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Quarterback killer??? He won 2 Super Bowls with Elway who has the same skill set as Luck to a T, basically Luck is an Elway clone...His offensive blocking schemes always produce good running numbers and balance to the offense.He has taken many running backs late in the draft and made them pro bowlers like Terrell Davis and Alfred Morris. .He went to the playoffs with the likes of Jay Cutler, Jake Plummer, and RG 111...I wouldn't call him a QB killer at all..The situation in Washington was terrible he had a meddling owner forcing RG111 on him and he knew he wasn't gonna work he wanted Cousins...I think he would be a good fit for Luck and we would have a running game as well...He has been a coach in some form on 2 national championship college teams, 10 NFL conference Championships, and 6 Super Bowls so I think the dude can coach and has taught his son Kyle well...He is from the Bill Walsh coaching tree and runs the west coast offense which is what Luck ran in college...I would be fine with him or his son and a good DC like Gus Bradley..

I have to tell you the more I think about it the more I am beginning to like the Mike Shanahan suggestion as head coach.  He certainly fits the successful experienced HC description.  His son would be a candidate too but I am leaning toward the experienced father instead.  I am still nervous about going the 1st. time HC route, but that's just me.  Maybe his son can do it but I really like the idea of a proven commodity for us and our situation. I think he really wants the experienced and successful coach and Mike fits the bill.  I think he would be great choice. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to tell you the more I think about it the more I am beginning to like the Mike Shanahan suggestion as head coach.  He certainly fits the successful experienced HC description.  His son would be a candidate too but I am leaning toward the experienced father instead.  I am still nervous about going the 1st. time HC route, but that's just me.  Maybe his son can do it but I really like the idea of a proven commodity for us and our situation. I think he really wants the experienced and successful coach and Mike fits the bill.  I think he would be great choice. 

Yeah...He might not be the popular choice, but he may be the right choice for our situation...Might be a blessing in disguise Gruden turned us down...

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

He is a good man. A great human being with an amazing personal comeback story. And I actually think a decent football mind if put in the right role. 

He should have been let go after the season ended. It would have been much more respectful and professional, and then the vacancy would have been there all along. 

I don't know what to think about Grigson anymore. It's honestly exhausting. "He's done 'this' but he's also done 'that'." Which makes him good? Or bad? Or both? 

Free agency and the draft loom enormously over this team like Pike's Peak over Colorado Springs. The implications on what this team does will be harsh for better or for worse.  

What makes Chuck a great human being?  Just curious.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Not sure Luck is an Elway clone.  They are a little different between the ears...at least for now.  But I get the comparisons.  The Denver days were quite some time ago and has been blotted in mind by the stench of his Washington days which I was exposed to second hand since the Redskins are a big deal where I'm from.  You make some interesting points though...if we end up hiring him as I fear may happen then I definitely hope you are closer to right than I am.  We would need to find our own version of Terrell Davis though.  Shanahan doesn't win jack with Elway without that kind of running game behind him.

How are they different between the ears?

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

Your point does still stand though. Reaching 3 SBs is nothing to sneeze at. But had Terrell never come along, Elway would've been like Jim Kelly in that he reached at least 3 SBs but lost them all

If Bradshaw didn't have......

If Brady didn't have.....

If Montana didn't have....

If Aikman didn't have....

God forbid Elway was finally allowed to play with big time talent.

6 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Actually I did state a fact. I said had Terrell not come along, Elway would've been like Jim Kelly in that he reached at least 3 SBs and lost them all. Elway had reached 3 SBs before Terrell came along

That's a reasonable assumption, but not a fact.

No way to tell, for certain.

7 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Actually I did state a fact. I said had Terrell not come along, Elway would've been like Jim Kelly in that he reached at least 3 SBs and lost them all. Elway had reached 3 SBs before Terrell came along

Well, that last sentence is a fact.

I think Mike Shanahan would be a terrible choice.  I think too many of you are stuck on Shanahan for winning back to back Super Bowls.  But what has he done since then?  He had the most talented teams.  And then  in Washington, it made our soap opera look like nothing.  To me, Shanahan is like hiring Jeff Fisher by the Rams.  Well though of coach but as a whole hadn't accomplished anything in a long time.  I think that is a terrible move.  I would be more interested in his son as a HC.  Also, Kyle can't move laterally if his contract is still in place with Falcons, so I don't see him being an OC.

1 minute ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think Mike Shanahan would be a terrible choice.  I think too many of you are stuck on Shanahan for winning back to back Super Bowls.  But what has he done since then?  He had the most talented teams.  And then  in Washington, it made our soap opera look like nothing.  To me, Shanahan is like hiring Jeff Fisher by the Rams.  Well though of coach but as a whole hadn't accomplished anything in a long time.  I think that is a terrible move.  I would be more interested in his son as a HC.  Also, Kyle can't move laterally if his contract is still in place with Falcons, so I don't see him being an OC.

I blame the Redskins franchise/owner more than MS.

2 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

Your point does still stand though. Reaching 3 SBs is nothing to sneeze at. But had Terrell never come along, Elway would've been like Jim Kelly in that he reached at least 3 SBs but lost them all

By the time Elway got his rings Davis and the Oline was the real reason they won those SBs .

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Luck at this stage in his career does not have the football acumen Elway showed. There are few who do. 

Based on what? How do you measure "football acumen," especially for two people who started their careers 30 years apart?

At this point in their careers, Luck is blowing Elway out of the water in every quantifiable category, except SB appearances. He even has twice as many rushing TDs as Elway did. 

13 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Luck at this stage in his career does not have the football acumen Elway showed. There are few who do. 

Not sure what that means, but their situations and frustrating play (at times) is quite similar imo.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Based on what? How do you measure "football acumen," especially for two people who started their careers 30 years apart?

At this point in their careers, Luck is blowing Elway out of the water in every quantifiable category, except SB appearances. He even has twice as many rushing TDs as Elway did. 

It's my opinion based on having seen both play. Elway has more of a presence and awareness than Luck does...at least at this point.  I'm not saying Luck is bad but he is no Elway to me.  I still see Luck making some decisions and questionable throws that I would expect him not to be making five years in given his talent and pedigree.  Luck is good but needs more consistency.  I think Elway understood the game better than Luck does at this point. My opinion. I understand Luck is not a finished product and look forward to his continued growth and improvement. 

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

To be fair to Elway, it was a different game then,  especially early in his career..They didn't have all the rules protecting offensive players to promote higher scoring. ..One of the reasons I don't think Marino gets more respect for the numbers he put up..If Marino played in this era he would throw for 60 TDs, and for 6,000 yards regularly...Running was emphasized much more then as well,  and there were not many spread ,no huddle , or hurry up offenses except for the Kelly led Bills..Lots of Fullbacks and 2 TE sets and I-formations...