I guess we know how Peyton feels about Irsay

Hi-Tek

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, corgi said:

Some still believe that Earth is flat. 

So are you saying... it is stupid to believe Peyton Manning (one of the world's most respected sports personalities) does not want to work with Irsay?

Irsay who has a well know history of problems and strange behaviors, to say the least?

6 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If that was the case, why even engage in negotiations with the man in the first place? That doesn't make sense. 

Do you know for sure if there even were any negotiations between Manning and Irsay?

It's all speculation.

But I would not be surprised if Irsay made an offer. Manning thought it over, and then decided, Irsay is too mixed up in the head to get involved with.

Who knows what state Jim is in these days?

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

So are you saying... it is stupid to believe Peyton Manning (one of the world's most respected sports personalities) does not want to work with Irsay?

Irsay who has a well know history of problems and strange behaviors, to say the least?

He's saying there's no evidence of that and no real reason to trust it.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Do you know for sure if there even were any negotiations between Manning and Irsay?

It's all speculation.

But I would not be surprised if Irsay made an offer. Manning thought it over, and then decided, Irsay is too mixed up in the head to get involved with.

According to Bob Kravitz article yesterday, there were negotiations with Manning. I tend to believe this as the 2 originally started talking in November and his agent was spotted with Irsay a couple weeks ago in Indy. Then they had another meeting with Manning and Gruden in Houston last weekend. I don't believe the report Manning just wasn't ready, if you aren't ready then this discussion ends in November and this story never gets to this point.

To compare the world being flat to trying to understand why Manning is refusing Irsay?

I think is a bit of a reach.

People can believe that the earth is flat without proof.

People can believe Manning didn't want to come here because of Irsay without proof.

People believe things without proof.

8 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

According to Bob Kravitz article yesterday, there were negotiations with Manning. I tend to believe this as the 2 originally started talking in November and his agent was spotted with Irsay a couple weeks ago in Indy. Then they had another meeting with Manning and Gruden in Houston last weekend. I don't believe the report Manning just wasn't ready, if you aren't ready then this discussion ends in November and this story never gets to this point.

Perhaps. And maybe Manning is perfectly fine with Irsay? Who knows?

But I can see Manning, who has a great reputation,  being a bit unsure of Irsay. Given his history. 

So, if you dont buy the report that Manning is not ready... 

Any ideas what killed the deal?

1 minute ago, indy1888 said:

I think the negotiations breaking down had more to do with Peyton wanting a certain % of ownership of the Colts. Irsay wouldn't give him what he wanted, so he turned the offer down.

Has nothing (or very little)  to do with what Manning thinks of irsay. If he never wanted to deal with Irsay he would have declined to even meet with him the first time, let alone multiple meet ups. 

Perhaps. And maybe Manning is perfectly fine with Irsay? Who knows?

But I can see Manning, who has a great reputation,  being a bit unsure if Irsay. Given his history. 

So, if you dont buy the report that Manning is not ready... 

Any ideas what killed the deal?

My guess is they couldn't work out the details of ownership. Just my guess.  I just find it a little hard to believe that this went on for as long as it supposedly did if Manning knew the entire time he wasn't even ready to take the job. He could have shot this idea down in 10 seconds the minute Irsay brought it up in November. It sounds like they were still meeting and talking just this past saturday.  All 3 of them together, that tells me it had a real chance of happening if the offers were right.

8 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think the negotiations breaking down had more to do with Peyton wanting a certain % of ownership of the Colts. Irsay wouldn't give him what he wanted, so he turned the offer down.

Has nothing (or very little)  to do with what Manning thinks of irsay. If he never wanted to deal with Irsay he would have declined to even meet with him the first time, let alone multiple meet ups. 

I agree

17 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It's all speculation.

Do you honestly believe there weren't? Multiple reputable sources have reported they have been talking since November and that a formal negotiations took place this week. If you choose not to believe it, thats on you. There are still many people who swear the Earth is flat. I think you're letting personal feelings towards Irsay influence your thinking.

Just now, indy1888 said:

My guess is they couldn't work out the details of ownership. Just my guess.  I just find it a little hard to believe that this went on for as long as it supposedly did if Manning knew the entire time he wasn't even ready to take the job. He could have shot this idea down in 10 seconds the minute Irsay brought it up in November. It sounds like they were still meeting and talking just this past saturday.  All 3 of them together, that tells me it had a real chance of happening if the offers were right.

That seems to be the consensus here on this forum. But still it's mostly speculation.

I am very discouraged with the toxic direction Irsay's team has taken of late.

And my opinion on Manning is still, it's not all about the money or shares of ownership. 

But more likely he decided he did want to be dealing with Jim Irsay in such a big endeavor.

Sorry if this offends the members of the board. 

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Do you honestly believe there weren't? Multiple reputable sources have reported they have been talking since November and that a formal negotiations took place this week. If you choose not to believe it, thats on you. There are still many people who swear the Earth is flat. I think you're letting personal feelings towards Irsay influence your thinking.

Irsay is a loose canon.

50 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yes, if he resented Irsay as much as people think he does then none of the post retirement stuff in Indy would've happened.

We probably shouldn't try to be logical and use some actual substance when discussing this. That's not how things work around here these days.

You're supposed to say something dubious and totally unfounded (example: Manning won't work for Irsay because Irsay has a drum set that belonged to the Beatles and Manning is a Stones fan!") and then try to back it up with "Some guy on twitter was tweeting about it so it HAS to be true. It HAS to."

You gotta see and conjure all the smoke you can, but you can't come up with a matches worth of actual flame.

17 minutes ago, corgi said:

Yes, if he resented Irsay as much as people think he does then none of the post retirement stuff in Indy would've happened.

I did not say he resents Irsay. I would think Manning has respect for Irsay in a lot of ways.

Manning accepting the post retirement honors is irrelevant. Of course he would do that.

I think Manning thought it over, and chose not accept the offer (of a prominent front office position) because he would have deal with Irsay, up close and personal, for many years to come.

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I did not say he resents Irsay. I would think Manning has respect for Irsay in a lot of ways.

Manning accepting the post retirement honors is irrelevant. Of course he would do that.

I think Manning thought it over, and chose not accept the offer (of a prominent front office position) because he would have deal with Irsay, up close and personal, for many years to come.

How many years was he in Indy? 

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Maybe the problem is Irsay's daughters, not Jim.

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I know some disagree, but I believe, it very well could be, that Manning declined because of Irsay.

I have always thought this people didn't want to hear it though. They act as if Manning was going to easily forgot Irsay's shady comments towards him for not winning more championships here. Its one thing to let a legendary player go its the nature of the business but no need to trash the guy for making your franchise relevant either.

He won't publically act bitter about it though that's not his style but he doesn't care about the Colts beyond his time there.

1 hour ago, corgi said:

He didn't do that for Jimbo he did that for the Colts fans. I don't think he cares about Irsay either not so much for cutting him(blessing in disguise) but the comments afterwards and Irsay is just a loose cannon. Nobody with sense wants to deal with that.

Irsay asked him to retire a Colts Manning declined so he doesn't care about being a Colt that much.

Manning always said he would come back for the reunion stuff etc did you think he wouldn't? I don't think he cares about the Colts(or Broncos) beyond his time with them. He has more love for the Vols.

13 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

So I guess this means that Peyton will never re-join the Colts in any fashion as long as Irsay is the owner of the team. That is my impression of things with Peyton turning down a front office job offer. This is not good at all. I, along with most of you probably, really believed Peyton would end up in the Colts front office at some point but now I'm not so sure.

Per Tony Dungy:

“I think it does [suit him] for two reasons,” Dungy said. “Number one, his relationship with Jim Irsay. [They are] very, very close. He has a lot of respect for Jim..."

The full story is here:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/1/15/14282256/tony-dungy-shares-his-thoughts-on-possibility-of-peyton-manning-returning-to-the-colts

So I guess this whole story is  rather about Peyton feeling himself ready for the role or not.

7 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

A "path to partial ownership" by Manning, while it does pose some risks, could have easily been worked out, and represents, potentially, a major win for Irsay and his family, and a stronger Colts organization. Ask any venture capitalist, having one person - the kingpin - heading an organization is a red flag.

6 hours ago, CF4L said:

He didn't do that for Jimbo he did that for the Colts fans. I don't think he cares about Irsay either not so much for cutting him(blessing in disguise) but the comments afterwards and Irsay is just a loose cannon. Nobody with sense wants to deal with that.

Irsay asked him to retire a Colts Manning declined so he doesn't care about being a Colt that much.

Manning always said he would come back for the reunion stuff etc did you think he wouldn't? I don't think he cares about the Colts(or Broncos) beyond his time with them. He has more love for the Vols.

The retirement thing is stupid. It has nothing to do with Manning not liking Indy, he probably just didn't see the point. Remember his presser to announce he was leaving? He choked up, I believe he loves the Colts.

When has Irsay ever been a loose cannon when it comes to team matters? He's actually been. very calculated and reasonable usually.

I was at the Detroit Auto Show this last Sat, and a few different groups of people were talking about Colts (saw my Colts gear on) and the 2 from Indy mentioned hearing it had to with Manning wanting 10% stake in the Colts and Irsay not willing to give that. 

If that's true, it's hard to blame Irsay for not doing it. 

16 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I've never even seen anything that said Peyton wanted to come back here. He didn't even retire as a Colt, he retired as a Bronco. 

Umm, you don't know much about how the NFL works do you?

Here's a quote, " Manning won't officially be retiring as a Colt though because he's on the Broncos' reserve/retired list, which means Denver owns his NFL rights."

And then there is the whole speech he gave when the COlts retired his jersey and talked about the statue they were going to erect., http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16296/highlights-from-peyton-mannings-speech-in-indianapolis

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Umm, you don't know much about how the NFL works do you?

Here's a quote, " Manning won't officially be retiring as a Colt though because he's on the Broncos' reserve/retired list, which means Denver owns his NFL rights."

And then there is the whole speech he gave when the COlts retired his jersey and talked about the statue they were going to erect., http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16296/highlights-from-peyton-mannings-speech-in-indianapolis

No, just started watching this week.

still retired a Bronco.