Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I guess we know how Peyton feels about Irsay

Hi-Tek

13 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I did not say he resents Irsay. I would think Manning has respect for Irsay in a lot of ways.

Manning accepting the post retirement honors is irrelevant. Of course he would do that.

I think Manning thought it over, and chose not accept the offer (of a prominent front office position) because he would have deal with Irsay, up close and personal, for many years to come.

More stuff made up in your mind with no basis other than YOUR hatred for Irsay

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, CoachLite said:

A "path to partial ownership" by Manning, while it does pose some risks, could have easily been worked out, and represents, potentially, a major win for Irsay and his family, and a stronger Colts organization. Ask any venture capitalist, having one person - the kingpin - heading an organization is a red flag.

There are a lot of variables that could be deciding factors. We dont really know anything as fans. There have been reports of "path to partial owner" rumors as well as rumors that peyton turned down the offer because Irsay wouldnt give him a certain % up front. Yes a path to ownership based on him being around for awhile and proving he can do the job first is a good idea, but we have no clue that was even an option in negotiations. If it was, and if the % of ownership is reasonable, then it makes sense for Irsay to pull the trigger. If Manning wants a certain ownership up front then it presents many more problems, as they are pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place if Manning flops in the front office. 

Until we get more information (if we ever do), I will be under the impression that the deal was not done because it was a business risk that Irsay (and/or his daughters) weren't willing to take. 

13 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

The retirement thing is stupid. It has nothing to do with Manning not liking Indy, he probably just didn't see the point. Remember his presser to announce he was leaving? He choked up, I believe he loves the Colts.

When has Irsay ever been a loose cannon when it comes to team matters? He's actually been. very calculated and reasonable usually.

Yes that was 5 years ago before Irsay talked about "Star Wars" numbers and his disappointment in Manning only winning one championship(that doesn't look so bad now does it?) 

Its one thing to let a player go it happens its another to crap on the guy for not winning enough championships for you when he's a large part of why this team is relevant today.

Irsay is a loose cannon in general being a drug addict and all getting arrested etc.

I'm sure Manning has nice memories of the Colts Irsay not that much though.

While I think the one day retirement ceremony is lame in general Irsay asked him to retire a Colt Manning declined. 

If he really wanted to retire a Colt he could've Denver wasn't going to bring him back and I doubt they would keep him from retiring a Colt if he truly wanted to. 

He didn't.

4 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Yes that was 5 years ago before Irsay talked about "Star Wars" numbers and his disappointment in Manning only winning one championship(that doesn't look so bad now does it?) 

Its one thing to let a player go it happens its another to crap on the guy for not winning enough championships for you when he's a large part of why this team is relevant today.

Irsay is a loose cannon in general being a drug addict and all getting arrested etc.

While I think the one day retirement ceremony is lame in general Irsay asked him to retire a Colt Manning declined. 

If he really wanted to retire a Colt he could've Denver wasn't going to bring him back and I doubt they would keep him from retiring a Colt if he truly wanted to. 

He didn't.

I never understood why people think the "Star Wars" comment was a slap at Manning. Irsay is clearly referring to the model how the team is built leading up to that comment, so I thought it was a dig towards the GM if anyone. He praises Manning leading up to it so that has nothing to do with criticising Manning.

Irsay has plenty of personal problems, though all signs point to him very much being together since his latest arrest. Why would Manning even care about him being a "loose cannon?" it has so little to do with the day-to-day operation of the team. Jim has shown, if anything, that he does not make rash decisions, fire people without cause, etc. 

Manning was placed on the retired list at the end of the season, he didn't sign a one-day contract to retire with the Colts, I would imagine, because it's pointless. 

I would imagine he thought it would be superfluous, given that he had a nice retirement ceremony with the Colts; he wouldn't have gone with that if he had that big of an issue with Irsay personally. I just don't see the evidence for him not coming to the Colts because of Irsay.

16 minutes ago, CF4L said:

He didn't.

Going down this road again?

18 minutes ago, CF4L said:

He didn't.

Where he retires means zero

My sister lives in Nashville and Peyton is known to be friends with Kenny Chesney and that he loves music like Irsay does.  They both love the Colts.  LOS is the stadium Peyton built.  Peyton idolized Unitas.  Also, Dungy usually speaks the gospel truth.  If he says they are close you can bank on it.   I think they are friends despite the last few years and that this has to make sense across the board for Manning to do it.  

22 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Where he retires means zero

You're right it does mean nothing but still Irsay asked him to do so and Manning chose not to. 

He doesn't care about the Colts that much and really why would the Broncos care where he retired they were done with him after SB 50.

Just now, CF4L said:

You're right it does mean nothing but still Irsay asked him to do so and Manning chose not to. 

He doesn't care about the Colts that much and really why would the Broncos care where he retired they were done with him after SB 50.

You have no idea how he feels about anything or anyone

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have no idea how he feels about anything or anyone

Usually when  a franchise player goes elsewhere at the end of their career when they retire they sign those lame one day contracts to end it where it all began. 

However in Manning's case he's significant to both the Colts/Broncos so its not that simple either. Irsay thought it would be when he made that request. Manning declined and really I find it hard to believe the Broncos would keep him from doing that if he really wanted it. It just gave Manning an out not to retire here when so many around here debated about it. Even the national media weighed in on the whole thing last March.

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

Usually when  a franchise player goes elsewhere at the end of their career when they retire they sign those lame one day contracts to end it where it all began. 

However in Manning's case he's significant to both the Colts/Broncos so its not that simple either. Irsay thought it would be when he made that request. Manning declined and really I find it hard to believe the Broncos would keep him from doing that if he really wanted it. It just gave Manning an out not to retire here when so many around here debated about it. Even the national media weighed in on the whole thing last March.

Lots of great players don't go back and sign one day contracts with their old team.  It's meaningless

6 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Peyton retired a Bronco, because he was under contract as a member of that team when he decided to retire, not to mention had just won a Super Bowl with them.   Of course he retired a Bronco.

He also came back to Indy, and gave a very nice Thank you to the Fans and Thank you to Jim Irsay and the Colts Speech.

As always, he handled himself with Complete and Total Class with Both organizations.   I think that says a LOT about how he felt about Both, and How much He appreciated Both.

But that's just my opinion,  and what do I know...?   :dunno: 

Manning was still under contract to the Broncos. He could not sign a one day contract with the Colts, per NFL rules.

I'm sure you'll find a way to dismiss that fact, but it doesn't change anything.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Manning was still under contract to the Broncos. He could not sign a one day contract with the Colts, per NFL rules.

I'm sure you'll find a way to dismiss that fact, but it doesn't change anything.

jinx   haha   we were typing the same thing.

On 1/15/2017 at 1:58 PM, Hi-Tek said:

So I guess this means that Peyton will never re-join the Colts in any fashion as long as Irsay is the owner of the team. That is my impression of things with Peyton turning down a front office job offer. This is not good at all. I, along with most of you probably, really believed Peyton would end up in the Colts front office at some point but now I'm not so sure.

The Colts have arguably had the two greatest qb's of the past 50 years. One was tossed on the garbage heap by Daddy Bob and the other was cut by Junior. Johnny U wanted no part of the Irsay Colts for the rest of his life. Peyton doesn't seem to be openly bitter and knows there were 20 million reasons for being cut. But he can't be happy about the way he left town either. Both guys were reminded that there is no such thing as the Baltimore Colts or the Indianapolis Colts. When Irsay references "the Horseshoe," he really means the Irsay Colts.

5 minutes ago, azcolt said:

The Colts have arguably had the two greatest qb's of the past 50 years. One was tossed on the garbage heap by Daddy Bob and the other was cut by Junior. Johnny U wanted no part of the Irsay Colts for the rest of his life. Peyton doesn't seem to be openly bitter and knows there were 20 million reasons for being cut. But he can't be happy about the way he left town either. Both guys were reminded that there is no such thing as the Baltimore Colts or the Indianapolis Colts. When Irsay references "the Horseshoe," he really means the Irsay Colts.

What a load. Unitas was traded and only played four games for the Chargers before being benched and retired. Peyton has one of the most incredible set of circumstances surrounding him being cut. Both were necessary decisions that no one wanted to make but had to make. There's nothing to suggest Manning was upset with what transpired, given that it benefited him in the run.

10 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Most players are cut, not re-signed or traded at some point in their career, even the great ones.   It's a business.  Peyton knows that as much as anyone.

19 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

What a load. Unitas was traded and only played four games for the Chargers before being benched and retired. Peyton has one of the most incredible set of circumstances surrounding him being cut. Both were necessary decisions that no one wanted to make but had to make. There's nothing to suggest Manning was upset with what transpired, given that it benefited him in the run.

He was pretty bothered by the "Star Wars" reference and Irsay going on about how he made the right decision(well most people think that Jim so why keep bringing it up?). And how he only won 1 championship. Its one thing to let go of a player its the nature of the business its another when you crap on the guy for not doing enough despite making your franchise relevant to begin with.

Of course it benefitted him I doubt that's what Irsay or anyone around here were hoping for when it happened either. He got to go to two more SBs and win another before he retired.

The Colts...............

(BTW I don't think the Colts should've kept him because I think we'd be in the same situation we're in now except we would be searching for a QB to take over rather than have a decent one we have now)

He was pretty bothered by the "Star Wars" reference and Irsay going on about how he made the right decision(well most people think that Jim so why keep bringing it up?). And how he only won 1 championship. Its one thing to let go of a player its the nature of the business its another when you crap on the guy for not doing enough despite making your franchise relevant to begin with.

Of course it benefitted him I doubt that's what Irsay or anyone around here were hoping for when it happened either. He got to go to two more SBs and win another before he retired.

The Colts...............

(BTW I don't think the Colts should've kept him because I think we'd be in the same situation we're in now except we would be searching for a QB to take over rather than have a decent one we have now)

Is there a link or something stating he was bothered by the Star wars quote?

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not dismissing anything but of course it figures you wouldn't be purposely dismissive of others.

My point was if Manning really wanted to retire with the Colts he would've he could've asked Denver to release him(and I don't see why they would've objected they were done with him after SB50 anyways) and then sign that lame one day contract with the Colts like Irsay wanted. 

He didn't but people here want to believe that his contract with the Broncos a team that didn't want him back for a 5th season is the only reason he wouldn't retire with the Colts. 

When in reality he didn't want to sign a one day contract with the Colts this was his out. 

10 minutes ago, CF4L said:

The Colts...............

I haven't seen one factual thing telling me that Peyton has any anger or grudge against Irsay. More than likely Peyton would've said so if he did. Peyton is a straight shooter. Peyton is smart enough to know we had to release him because of the way our Salary Cap situation was and a QB like Andrew Luck waiting to come in.

2 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I'm not dismissing anything but of course it figures you wouldn't be purposely dismissive of others.

My point was if Manning really wanted to retire with the Colts he would've he could've asked Denver to release him(and I don't see why they would've objected they were done with him after SB50 anyways) and then sign that lame one day contract with the Colts like Irsay wanted. 

He didn't but people here want to believe that his contract with the Broncos a team that didn't want him back for a 5th season is the only reason he wouldn't retire with the Colts. 

When in reality he didn't want to sign a one day contract with the Colts this was his out. 

First of all,  Who cares where his retirement took place?

Second,  would there have been dead cap ramifications if the broncos cut him?

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is there a link or something stating he was bothered by the Star wars quote?

Well John Fox stated it rather well at the time

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/10/15/john-fox-peyton-manning-jim-irsay/2990913/

Peyton Manning's coach John Fox accused Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay of taking a "cheap shot" at Manning in a story published Tuesday in USA TODAY Sports.

Fox, on his weekly SiriusXM NFL Radio appearance, said the Colts owner sounded "ungrateful" by saying his team only won one Super Bowl ring during Manning's 14-year tenure in Indianapolis. Manning returns to Indianapolis on Sunday for the first time since he was released by the Colts in 2012.

"To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate," Fox said. "I mean, Peyton would never say anything. He's too classy to do that. But they sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me for a guy that has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won division titles, won four MVP awards. I'd be thankful with that one Super Bowl ring because there's a lot of people that don't have one."

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

First of all,  Who cares where his retirement took place?

Second,  would there have been dead cap ramifications if the broncos cut him?

I don't care but others did Irsay wanted him to retire here and Manning declined. 

The Broncos would've saved $$$ if they cut him they were going to release him had he not chosen to retire.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

So,  nothing from Peyton?

I would think his actions would say otherwise outside of the 2006 team he really doesn't go out of his way to care about the Colts of today. 

Quite the opposite with Denver where he goes to their games, practices and still hangs out with certain former teammates (course he played with them less than a year ago so that might also be a factor) but I really doubt Fox of all people would say all of this if Peyton didn't feel this way. 

Manning is more media savvy than Favre public displays of bitterness won't really endear him to anyone.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't seen one factual telling me that Peyton has any anger or grudge against Irsay. More than likely Peyton would've said so if he did. Peyton is a straight shooter. Peyton is smart enough to know we had to release him because of the way our Salary Cap situation was and a QB like Andrew Luck waiting to come in.

Politically correct Manning? Really? He's not that fond of Elway but he doesn't publically trash him either. 

I'm sure Manning was glad that the Colts cut him in retrospect look at what Andrew Luck has to deal with now.

Doesn't mean he liked what Irsay said about him either.

Manning may be politically correct but if he doesn't like someone I am sure he would say so. Why wouldn't he? He has nothing to lose at this point. He could come out right now and say I cant stand Jim and it wouldn't hurt his image or any endeavors he may do in the future. If I really despised someone as you think Peyton does Irsay I damn sure would let it be known and I don't have near the power as a Peyton Manning. He would've never came back for the 2006 celebration either had he felt sick about Irsay. I sure wouldn't of.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

I'm usually purposefully dismissive of trollish nonsense. Everyone's, not just yours, so don't take it personal.

But just for fun, let's examine the absolute obtuseness of this argument.

Your argument is that, because Manning didn't bend over backward to get the Broncos to release him -- something almost no team does when a player is retiring -- that he harbors some ill will toward Irsay. This, despite the fact that the one day contract is only a ceremonial gesture that sets the stage for a team to honor a player -- a gesture that you yourself called lame. In spite, also, of the fact that the Colts honored Manning in a ceremony in which he willingly participated, without the one day contract, making said contract entirely useless and unnecessary. In spite, lastly, of the fact that Manning has never said anything negative about Irsay or the Colts, ever.

This is a bad argument. 

But again, don't let that stop you. 

On 1/15/2017 at 4:14 PM, Smonroe said:

We know nothing.

We don't know if Irsay approached Peyton or Gruden.  We don't know how Peyton feels personally about Irsay. We don't know if Irsay has said anything to Grigson or Pagano, one way or the other.

But we certainly know how to speculate and to believe any unsubstantiated rumor, no matter who it comes from.   

You can't really blame people for speculating. This is a weird time and a lot of fans are being left in the dark. No one knows what the plans for the team are going forward, which can be very stressful to the truly devoted fans. Let people speculate and make claims. It happens. We all do it everyday in some fashion.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can't really blame people for speculating. This is a weird time and a lot of fans are being left in the dark. No one knows what the plans for the team are going forward, which can be very stressful to the truly devoted fans. Let people speculate and make claims. It happens. We all do it everyday in some fashion.

You're right.  That's one of the things that this board is for.  But some of this stuff was getting out of hand.

Remember, the original post stated that "now we know how Peyton feels about Irsay".  I was just pointing out what was actually known for a fact.  Which, by the way, is still nothing.