Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edwin Jackson

BobbyMorris94

Is this guy a potential diamond in the rough? He seems decent in coverage and is really young and plays fast and hits hard. For all the talk about our lack of talent, I feel we have some young talent that can be overlooked. I also think Akeem Ayers has some potential in this defense as well. Add in Morrison and are things as bleak at linebacker as people say in the young talent department? Sure another draft could help but I'm a homer fanatic lol.

55 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

Is this guy a potential diamond in the rough? He seems decent in coverage and is really young and plays fast and hits hard. For all the talk about our lack of talent, I feel we have some young talent that can be overlooked. I also think Akeem Ayers has some potential in this defense as well. Add in Morrison and are things as bleak at linebacker as people say in the young talent department? Sure another draft could help but I'm a homer fanatic lol.

Yes.

For example look at the Vikings LB corps. They have multiple, young, up and coming star caliber players. Eric Kendricks is becoming a superstar, Danielle Hunter is becoming a freak, double digit sack EDGE rusher, and oh yeah. This kid named Anthony Barr who's one of the best young players in the game at any position. Or San Diego. Joey Bosa (Even though he's playing a lot of DE), Jerry Attaochu, Jatavis Brown, Denzell Perryman, and I'd rather have Josh Perry than Edwin Jackson or Morrison. He's more likely to reach his ceiling IMO. But that's what we need. Not a bunch of nobodies. We need young, superstar, playmakers on D. Not Edwin Jackson, Antonio Morrison, and Akeem Ayers, even though I like Ayers a lot as a backup. The only one of those guys who would even be on a lot of good teams is Ayers, and that would be as a quality backup LB. I'm tired of the mediocrity, I want some superstar, playmakers on this defense, and I want excellent depth behind them.

No one here other than maybe the OP believes at this point that Edwin Jackson is some kind of Diamond in The Rough super player, but of the guys that we have at the ILB position  which ain't saying a whole lot, I wouldn't mind seeing him play more based on the small glimpses we got yesterday.  I liked the passion and energy the guy plays with!  It was clear he wanted to knock somebody out. Energy like that infects your team mates in a good way.   Fastest linebacker we have at 4.5 Forty and he gets to the ball carrier.  I have no doubt he can make all those same tackles Antonio Morrison was being hyped for in the preseason and offseason.  Has the speed to cover, but not a great cover man as of right now.  Could get better and it's hard to do worse than Mcnary so I say give the kid a shot.    Obviously no one is saying we don't upgrade the position in the off season, but I do think he deserves a chance to get more snaps for sure .

17 hours ago, achcolts said:

I'd rather see Edwin Jackson or morrison getting experience and yes making mistakes than having mcnary out there just being bad for 4 years and running 

Morrison to slow keep him on st we need guys who can run. Nfl has changed 

On 10/23/2016 at 1:36 PM, BobbyMorris94 said:

And then you added in Morrison. Ugh!

Listened to Colts Round table. Lamey asked Grigson about Edwin Jackson. First thing Grigson said was "Energy!" So he saw everything I saw. He mentioned some other guys along with him and said "These are the type of guys who will command more playing time" So it appears to be coming.

Everyone is limiting a rookie and a 2nd year guy that hasn't gotten a chance yet to scrubs. Morrison is rough but he has some talent and is actually playing as a rookie and buried on the bench so that gives me hope. Jackson looks like he needs to start next to DQwell. I know what I saw and I saw a decent starter possibly. He might not be a pro bowler right now but could he be? Would you think Gary Bracket would have been when he was backing up Rob Morris and rated a 50 something on Madden?

He has speed that competes with Bracket and his mentality appears to be that of Bob Sanders. Some of you are sleeping on the fact that this guy needs to play now. McNary is slow and good on special teams and as a back up. This guy could be a missing piece to the puzzle. You can tell he plays with a chip on his shoulder and that mentality spreads to more veteran players and inspires them like Bob Sanders did. We need guys with that hunger even if they end up only being situational players.

On 10/24/2016 at 1:16 AM, SupermanLuck12 said:

No. Jackson and Morrison are backup players at best, nothing special. This is the Colts weakest position IMO.

There is nothing more de-motivational than to dismiss, and fail to develop, potential talent on a team. I'm not sure we have a dearth of talent, so much as we have de-motivated players with a sense of futility.

For the erudite, see Henry Sumner Maine's remarks on "status to contract" in societies.

I want to see what this kid has.  We need an Alpha Dog personality like this on defense. A guy who plays with passion who can spark his team mates.  A guy that is highly competitive.  Too many quiet guys on this defense!  All the stuff the coaches thought Morrison had I believe this guy has it too, but with better athletic traits.

We only got a glimpse so we don't know if he'll pan out, and I most certainly think we need to draft at the position without a doubt,  but I certainly have no problem with giving the dude a shot at least.  If we're wrong then so be it.  Nobody thought Jerrell Freeman was anybody when he first got on the team either.   If it doesn't work out then it just doesn't work out.  Happens a lot with UDFA.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Listened to Colts Round table. Lamey asked Grigson about Edwin Jackson. First thing Grigson said was "Energy!" So he saw everything I saw. He mentioned some other guys along with him and said "These are the type of guys who will command more playing time" So it appears to be coming.

For sure energy guys are needed.  When I saw him out there this past weekend I was like, who is that & why isn't he out there more?!

Not knowing much about him I Googled him.   From Wikipedia ...

Freshman season (2011)

Making the Georgia Southern Football Team as a tryout walk-on, Edwin saw action in 13 games as a freshman, and had 10 tackles.

Sophomore season (2012)

Edwin played in 12 games as a sophomore in 2012, collecting 16 tackles and six special teams tackles.

Junior season (2013)

Earning the starting middle linebacker spot his junior season, Edwin totaled a team-best 92 tackles, 2.0 sacks and a fumble recovery in 11 games. A highlight game that year featured Edwin posting 10 tackles, including a team-leading eight solo stops in 26-20 upset win against the University of Florida. Edwin was named the College Sports Madness Southern Conference Player of the Week for his performance against the Florida Gators.

Senior season (2014)

In Edwin's senior year, he was voted team captain by his teammates, and recorded a career-high 100 tackles, which ranked in the top- 10 of the Sun Belt Conference. He had four games with 13-plus tackles. Edwin also had a forced fumble and an interception, which helped seal a win at South Alabama. Edwin helped Georgia Southern win the Sun Belt Conference Championship in the school's inaugural year competing on the NCAA Football Championship Series (FBS) level in 2014. He was awarded First Team All-Sun Belt honors.[3]

Edwin was nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy, which nationally honors former walk-on players who have made significant contributions to their school's team. He was also nominated for the Danny Wuerfall Trophy, which acknowledges players who show exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement. Also, Edwin was nominated for AllState Good Works Team for his volunteer work at a local Statesboro elementary school, and hosting a football clinic for children in Costa Rica during his Christmas break. Lastly, Edwin competed in the prestigious Medal of Honor Senior Bowl in Charleston, SC after completing his senior year.[3]

I think I am a fan of his workman walk-on accomplishment and attitude.  "Physical" attributes are important, but mental acumen, enthusiasm, and attitude account for SO much more.   If this kid can bring a level of intensity that is sorely lacking and demonstrate leadership and mental acumen, then throw him out there and let's see what he can do!