Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A.C. hurt? Or is he just playing badly?

Lawrence Owen

I am sorry, but from the games I've watched, He seems to get burned on the outside speed rushers by everyone and thier mother.  

I know A.C. has quite a following on here, and saying he's playing horribly is almost "taboo".  But this IS what I am seeing.

Our rookies soom to do better than him this year.  

So, is he hurt or dealing with a nagging injury? Or has he just gotten complacent after he got his payday?

I think he's always had a problem with speed rushers.  IMO, His main problem is once he gets beat he gets in his own head and its hard for him to recover.  So to answer your question, he's just playing bad football, he needs to get his confidence back.

He's always been slightly above average, and surrounded by very poor play, making him look a bit better. 

He seems to have regressed a bit, and now that we have somewhat competent OL around him his bad plays are magnified even more.

What we see now is probably what he truly is....Average.....Not a bad thing, not a good thing, just what it is. 

AC is playing poorly there's no question. Why he is playing poorly its hard to know. New system etc. IDK if they would account for his issues in pass protection but he's never been a truely great pass blocker but after 4-5 years now you would think he's be playing better than he is.

You guys are friggin' nuts... Castonzo has been our best linemen next to Mewhort. He's hit a few rough patches here and there last season and this season so far but he hasn't been awful. Take away Castonzo and see what happens to Luck.

18 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

In a game where we started 3 rookie offensive linemen, AC was the problem more than the rookies 

Let that sink in 

you would have thought they would have attached the right side but they didnt need to....  AC was giving them the opportunity to only attach one side and contain on the other...

He is not our best lineman anymore.  I would actually argue its not Mewhort either... Its Kelly

11 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I am sorry, but from the games I've watched, He seems to get burned on the outside speed rushers by everyone and thier mother.  

I know A.C. has quite a following on here, and saying he's playing horribly is almost "taboo".  But this IS what I am seeing.

Our rookies soom to do better than him this year.  

So, is he hurt or dealing with a nagging injury? Or has he just gotten complacent after he got his payday?

he was too slow footed to ever stop outside speed rushers, coaches need a rb or tight end to help him when we face them

He sure seems to have slowed down after the contract.

In all honesty, he's been very overrated on these boards for years. He's not an Orlando Pace or even a Tarik Glenn.

He's been solid throughout his career, never dominant.

11 hours ago, Everyone said:

I think he's always had a problem with speed rushers.  IMO, His main problem is once he gets beat he gets in his own head and its hard for him to recover.  So to answer your question, he's just playing bad football, he needs to get his confidence back.

agreed

Just now, dudeski said:

You said you don't watch what is going on in the game.  Don't blame me 

I said I don't pay attention to the line. Why? Because it shouldn't matter to me. I don't care what the line does as long as the skill players can make plays. The only reason they wouldn't be able to do that with with respect to the function of the oline is if the line sucks. 

1 hour ago, Derakynn said:

I said I don't pay attention to the line. Why? Because it shouldn't matter to me. I don't care what the line does as long as the skill players can make plays. The only reason they wouldn't be able to do that with with respect to the function of the oline is if the line sucks. 

It should matter to you.  It's the most important part of the offense.  If you aren't watching the lines, you aren't watching the game

6 minutes ago, dudeski said:

It should matter to you.  It's the most important part of the offense.  If you aren't watching the lines, you aren't watching the game

Logistically speaking, that doesn't make sense. There is no right or wrong way to watch a game. 

He is playing badly but I don't think it's lost on him.  He has been his own worst critic, perhaps to a fault, and it may be his confidence is shaken.  Maybe one good game against a top-tier rusher would bring it back but right now that doesn't look too promising.  He is not right, and I think a lot of it is in his head.

5 hours ago, dudeski said:

No.  I won't let that sink in

because it is false

15 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

In a game where we started 3 rookie offensive linemen, AC was the problem more than the rookies 

Let that sink in 

Dude  TKnight24  has a valid point  ,

AC at the very least played like a rookie & was no better than the rookies this last game IMO we need to consider finding a replacement if he continues playing like a first year starter .

Only thing I can't hope is that his play gets better. I want to be optimistic though. Was waiting for someone else to start this thread. If he doesn't improve as the year goes on then yes I would love for this to draft a left tackle. 

3 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Dude  TKnight24  has a valid point  ,

AC at the very least played like a rookie & was no better than the rookies this last game IMO we need to consider finding a replacement if he continues playing like a first year starter .

That is not the case though.  

Say they play 60 snaps

ac was bad 7 snaps.  Blythe was bad 30

you see how that works?  Numbers just used as an example but probably not far off

I think AC's play has gone down because he has no good pass rushers to practice against.  He goes against our sorry pass rushers in training camp & practice and he/coaches think he's doing good because he can block them (who can't?).  But when it's game time he's facing guys that are more dynamic and he's not ready for it...  Then his confidence gets shattered because he wants so bad to live up to his contract.  His best years were when we had a healthy Mathis. If you could learn how to block Mathis back then, then you could block anybody in the league. Now, what edge rusher do we have that can get our tackles better?  Football teams and most sports teams are symbiotic. For example, having a great secondary should make your receivers get better by having to face them in practice. And vice versa. I think if we get some good pass rushers back on the team and let AC go against them, we'll see his play pick back up. Unfortunately that probably ain't happening until next year. So he's just gonna have to battle through it and regain his confidence.