Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Luck Is The New Archie Manning?

King Colt

Watching all of the Monday talk shows one made the remark Luck may be the second Archie Manning. Archie Manning is noted for being the victim of a poor team that never improved to allow his talents to win games. Probably no quarterback in NFL history is noted more for his dilemma. Truly a sad story but for some reason he elected to stick it out. 100% of the shows questioned the thinking of the Colts management but also they questioned Luck's abilities. !00% say he must get rid of the ball quicker open receivers or not. They said simply he is not getting better. Add this fact, the Colts team is not as good as they were and it is not even worth comparing their playoff years with this years miserable start. I lean with the idea Luck is not the QB he was built up to be. It's troubling knowing Andrew Luck has a very high IQ but so does the $12,000,000 QB for the Jets. The playoff years can easily be attributed in part, to the sorry teams in the AFC South. With everything that is in place right now I don't see much of a future for the Colts for the next coming years.  

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Watching all of the Monday talk shows one made the remark Luck may be the second Archie Manning. Archie Manning is noted for being the victim of a poor team that never improved to allow his talents to win games. Probably no quarterback in NFL history is noted more for his dilemma. Truly a sad story but for some reason he elected to stick it out. 100% of the shows questioned the thinking of the Colts management but also they questioned Luck's abilities. !00% say he must get rid of the ball quicker open receivers or not. They said simply he is not getting better. Add this fact, the Colts team is not as good as they were and it is not even worth comparing their playoff years with this years miserable start. I lean with the idea Luck is not the QB he was built up to be. It's troubling knowing Andrew Luck has a very high IQ but so does the $12,000,000 QB for the Jets. The playoff years can easily be attributed in part, to the sorry teams in the AFC South. With everything that is in place right now I don't see much of a future for the Colts for the next coming years.  

1. Luck's career is indeed plagued by a bad team this season. It simply has to be improved. If I was the GM/HC I'd provide a quality O-line for Luck and a serviceable Defense. 

2. IMO Luck has improved a lot, and there should be no question about his abilities (just my 2 cents). His injury last year really haunts his 2016 season. Either he was told to avoid risky situations or he instinctively avoids them (because of the lacerated kidney)

3. On quicker release regardless covered WRs: IMO it is complete nonsense. Luck must take care of the ball, for D wont give the ball in his hands too many times. IMO he needs time to find clear targets (better protection) or wideouts must get separation quicker. If he had thrown rather incomplete passes for quicker release, Colts hadn't scored 27 points, for WRs couldn't get open many times. Just think of his TD pass to T.Y.: he had to hold on the ball for ages.

23 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I really hope you're wrong about Andrew not being the QB he was built up to be.   There are a lot of problems with this team, and Andrew is not exempt, but I'm holding on to the belief that he can become an elite QB in this league.  

58 minutes ago, King Colt said:

No he's the new Peyton Manning  although you do have a point he is on a bad team .

Maybe this team needs a tough Tom Coughlin type person that focuses just fundamental football and asks for more accountability. He has been the only coach at the SB level that went toe-to-toe with Bill Belichick (though Pete Carroll almost did it) and his team did not make big mistakes while he was coaching them. Dungy's teams did not shoot themselves in the foot that much either. If we do a lot of fundamentals right even with a not-elite-talented roster of ours, we will give ourselves a better chance of being in games vs elite teams and putting away bad teams, IMO.

So luck should get rid of the ball quicker regardless of anyone being open so his TOs double and his comp % is in the 40s.  After that happens people will say he has terrible decision making and needs to wait for an open reciever. He cant win.....

Finally a topic like this! I had been saying such thoughts in other postings before. He does get creamed and runs for his life like Archie did with the Saints while watching This Week In Pro Football in the 70's for those who remember. The good old days of sports shows. Now just any ex-jerk NFL players around the clock on such shows.

We love to compare quarterbacks, but in reality there is no comparison. Andrew Luck's story is not over yet. Saying he's the next Peyton Manning, or the new Archie Manning has no merit to me, because he is simply not the same quarterback. 

The media has indeed placed way too much stock in him to be this end all be all quarterback Jesus. When he just wants to be Andrew the football player. He's not going to be that same kind of player, and why should he be?

The media is hilarious. I hope they continue their fallout. I hope they pour doubt down the throats of their viewers. Because these are the same people who just last year exclaimed how Sam Bradford is finished. Washed up. Will never be a starter again...

It's too unpredictable for me to make blanket statements and conclusions when I don't know what the future holds. Especially in terms of quarterbacks: I was part of the group that was skeptical of Russell Wilson.

Thank GOD I'm not a GM and just a fan. My predictions almost always are wrong haha.

Archie Manning never sniffed the playoffs in his career.  Andrew has been there three times so no.  Right now this is a flawed team that is not playing well.  The misses in the 2013 and 2014 drafts and the misses in free agency those years Are haunting them right now.  That has also made them a young team as well.  The good news is a large number of those young guys look promising but it's going to take sometime to develop.  The result is probably going to be a season that doesn't leave people here happy and might very well cost people their jobs but I do think in a year or two we are going to being singing a different tune in terms of the talent on this team.  The good news is that if they have a bad year this year it will probably give them the chance to land what they don't have at the moment and desperately need, a pass rusher.  

These coaches that the team brings in like, philbin, shottenheimer, chud, just can't get the team inspired motivated. There is a reason why they were fired. Same reason they should fire Pags and Grigs, lack of  an assertive and proactive style approach with the players,  not holding them accountabe. Allen and Castonzo would have been benched or cut by other teams by now, these are just to name a few. The list can go on.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Archie never even made the Playoffs. Luck has 3 times and was 1 game away from the SB, strange comparison?

Archie also never finished better than .500 in a single season whereas Luck has never been on a team that finished worse than .500 as a pro

He's definitely none of the Mannings. The problem with Oline protection is not only the wear and tear on Luck's health. I can't get rid of the feeling that his self-confidence regressed enourmously at the LOS since last year. Sometimes he seems to be lost or hectic and other times he seems to be just executing the "orders" of the play caller like a robot without being aware of the defensive strategy and reacting to it.

No

Actually this is not even close.  Other than this year (which still can change) Luck has been on competitive winning teams and winning playoff games every year he played. (not including last year injury season which was still not a losing season)

Archie never was on a team that posted a winning record or sniffed the playoffs.  His combined record was 35-101-3

This is a complete exaggeration and never will reach that level. 

Folks isnt it time now to drop this charade that the Colts are the doormat of the NFL since Luck has been here?  

It is being blown way out of proportion just like it was last year in the media.

I am ok with people not liking the current regime but let's not make stuff up so it looks worse.  :sigh:

The team and AL have to figure out a way to get him hit less. Regardless of who you want to blame. He's taken a lot of hits in his career and common sense says one day he won't be as durable and these hits will take their toll on him at some point.

I (we all) don't want him to be damaged goods in the next few years. The Colts would be fools to allow a David Carr situation to occur with a top tier QB.

13 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Yes he is indeed the new Archie Manning. Also 350 pounds is the new 165 pounds with six pack abs!!

That made me giggle like a schoolgirl!

No no no he's not Archie the 2nd for many of the reasons already posted and he is barely into his 5th season for Heaven's sake.  Let's give it some time there.  But i would say that if things don't change soon he COULD end up having a shorter than expected career, could opt to go elsewhere when his contract is up, could simply go down as the next Dan Marino (a more apt comparison IMHO) who just never wins the big one due to supporting cast issues.  But the book is still being written.  Right now he is just Andy Luck, former Pro-Bowl QB for the Colts.  Nothing more or less.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Peyton Manning didn't get to and win a Super Bowl until Year 9.

Andrew Luck is just in Year 5.

No need to panic.......  keep your powder dry.....

And has been hit way more then Peyton was. You can't assume he'll just stay awesome if he keeps getting pummeled like he has. 6 sacks last game. It's definitely a concern.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2016 at 10:55 AM, #12. said:

Get rid of the ball quicker.  Yes, with this O-line, stay in shotgun and second it hits your hands, get rid of it in one baseball pitch like motion.  That's your best bet.  

Not to mention the receivers are not getting separation, and Luck cannot trust them to be open.

He trusted Dwayne Allen against the Texans and Dwayne fell down resulting in a pick.

On 10/5/2016 at 11:37 PM, JohnnyUnitas19 said:

Peyton Manning didn't get to and win a Super Bowl until Year 9.

Andrew Luck is just in Year 5.

No need to panic.......  keep your powder dry.....

Yes but Peyton Manning was surrounded by a much better team overall and rarely missed the playoffs!

Tom Brady got to a Superbowl in year 1..... lol

On 10/4/2016 at 10:12 AM, King Colt said:

Archie Manning won 35 games in his career

On 10/4/2016 at 9:12 AM, King Colt said:

The playoff years can easily be attributed in part, to the sorry teams in the AFC South.

I don't know why I keep trying to change people's minds, but this is a very very very sore spot for me.

The 2012 Colts beat 12-4 Houston, 11-5 Green Bay and 10-6 Minnesota, 

The 2013 Colts beat 3 of the 4 championship game participants and also beat 11-5 Kansas City TWICE - one of the two wins a 23-7 domination on the road.

The 2014 Colts did, admittedly, have a soft schedule, but they did beat 10-5-1 Cincinnati TWICE, 10-6 Baltimore and 9-7 Houston twice.  And before you call Houston crappy they did beat Baltimore on the road in a game that basically knocked them out of AFC North crown contention.  And look at Pittsburgh's schedule that year - theirs was MUCH worse than ours.

It is true that the 2015 Colts only had one quality win (Denver) and that 4 of the other 7 wins were against a terrible AFC South.

The 2016 Colts STRUGGLED within their division - they got swept by Houston and beat by Jacksonville, but then swept a Tennessee team that went on to beat Green Bay, Kansas City and Denver.

But you want to go on towing the preposterous line that the media burned into your head that the Colts only win because of the AFC South, go right ahead - I should know to just give up and let people be ignorant but on this one topic I just can't.

19 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I don't know why I keep trying to change people's minds, but this is a very very very sore spot for me.

The 2012 Colts beat 12-4 Houston, 11-5 Green Bay and 10-6 Minnesota, 

The 2013 Colts beat 3 of the 4 championship game participants and also beat 11-5 Kansas City TWICE - one of the two wins a 23-7 domination on the road.

The 2014 Colts did, admittedly, have a soft schedule, but they did beat 10-5-1 Cincinnati TWICE, 10-6 Baltimore and 9-7 Houston twice.  And before you call Houston crappy they did beat Baltimore on the road in a game that basically knocked them out of AFC North crown contention.  And look at Pittsburgh's schedule that year - theirs was MUCH worse than ours.

It is true that the 2015 Colts only had one quality win (Denver) and that 4 of the other 7 wins were against a terrible AFC South.

The 2016 Colts STRUGGLED within their division - they got swept by Houston and beat by Jacksonville, but then swept a Tennessee team that went on to beat Green Bay, Kansas City and Denver.

But you want to go on towing the preposterous line that the media burned into your head that the Colts only win because of the AFC South, go right ahead - I should know to just give up and let people be ignorant but on this one topic I just can't.

I totally agree. I cant stand it when people say we were only good because of playing in a weak Division. From 2012-2014 we beat the Seahawks, Broncos twice, Bengals twice, Chiefs twice, Packers, Ravens, and 49ers in 2013 when the 49ers were still Very Good. Those were 10 wins against all Very Good to Great teams. Some people, once they get certain things in the their heads begin believing it.

2 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Tom Brady got to a Superbowl in year 1..... lol

In year 1 Brady attempted 3 passes.  Year 2 is the SB season you're referring to.  A season in which Tom finished with 2,800 yds to go along with 18 tds against 12 interceptions in 15 games. 

Tom didn't actually put up elite numbers until his 8th season.  Prior to his eighth season he was a glorified game manager who relied on great defense and impeccable special teams play.