Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Imagine being Jim Irsay right now.

Dustin

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've been saying the Colts roster is pretty bad for about 6 months now.....

The typical response I've gotten is to tell me to wait until the season starts....

Well.....   it has started.....      were were badly injured on defense the first three weeks....

And now we were badly injured on offense today...... 

We didn't play well enough to win....

-- Poor o-line play....

-- Poor receiving

-- Poor defense

-- Poor coaching

-- Poor play by Andrew Luck

I thought we might win,  but ultimately,  we didn't play well enough to win in a game we HAD to win.

Not good.     We have a difficult road ahead of us......

I think a lot of those factors feed off of each other.... poor coaching is the catalyst & our biggest problem. Why not start in a hurry up offense?  Get Luck and our receivers in an early rhythm... Tire the defense out early and we'll see the results of it later in the game.  Why not get our 1st round pick Dorsett more than 1 target until it's less that 7- 8 minutes in the game???  With Crief out he's our number two receiver and only gets 3 targets???  Why is Allen in the game over Doyle on 3rd downs?  It's coaching that's killing us right now. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Hard for me to blame Luck a whole lot but I agree with all the rest you have. To me the most discouraging is the regression of V Davis and Castonzo . 

My disappointment with Luck is not entirely fair....

He had at least a half-dozen easy drops and very poor pass blocking for much of the game....   that's a lot to put on a quarterback....

But his decision to pass to Allen when he could've run....     and his throw to Allen wasn't very good...   if he put it a foot or so more out front the defender wouldn't have been able to make a play...

He also has too many throws where the receiver is open, but Luck's pass does not hit the receiver in stride...  the receiver has to slow and make the catch....     we're losing too many yards after the catch because Luck's throws are not accurate enough....

Hey,  Luck is my guy.....    on the list of people to blame,  I put him pretty low....   but he'd be on the list....

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I think a lot of those factors feed off of each other.... poor coaching is the catalyst & our biggest problem. Why not start in a hurry up offense?  Get Luck and our receivers in an early rhythm... Tire the defense out early and we'll see the results of it later in the game.  Why not get our 1st round pick Dorsett more than 1 target until it's less that 7- 8 minutes in the game???  With Crief out he's our number two receiver and only gets 3 targets???  Why is Allen in the game over Doyle on 3rd downs?  It's coaching that's killing us right now. 

Our offense started off slow today because we had about 4-5 drops in the first quarter alone....

We established the running game....    Gore had 56 yards at the half.....      that's a good thing...

We went to the hurry-up at the right time,   but that last drive was terrible....

I feel sorry for Jim Irsay.  He made what he thought was the right decision on HC and GM...maybe nobody else was available.

The problem is that he has 2 inexperienced guys who have not grown into the positions of HC and GM...they just don't know how to handle the jobs at the NFL level.

Grigson is a head scout who is good at finding marginal players at the bottom of the food chain, but he misses big time on high picks and GM deals (Werner, Richardson, Smith, etc.)

Pagano is a DBs coach who never has his team ready to play from the opening kickoff, cannot make good in-game adjustments, and is suspect at evaluating talent and giving Grigson solid input for the drafts.

The situation is just a mess and the future does not look good with these two in charge.

Jimmy is just going to have to 'bite the bullet' and make the necessary in-season moves and see how the new guys do for the rest of the season.

Now I gotta sit here and watch Will Fuller blow up for Houston. Already has 5 catches, and we can't even get Dorsett more than 3 targets in a game.... we're turning Andrew Luck from the next Peyton Manning into the next Jeff George.... Irsay's gonna have some tough decisions to make after the season because I don't know if fans here will keep buying the seats if we return to our 80's & early 90's ways...

They are not the worst team in the league by a long shot. You guys expected a win but no matter what anyone says, it is tough to go to another country with only three days to get acclimated and play against a team who is used to doing so. Especially when a bad offensive line gets worse with two injuries.

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

They are not the worst team in the league by a long shot. You guys expected a win but no matter what anyone says, it is tough to go to another country with only three days to get acclimated and play against a team who is used to doing so. Especially when a bad offensive line gets worse with two injuries.

They are, at the very least, the worst coached team in the NFL, and that's not really debatable when you lose a coaching duel when the other candidate for worst coach in Gus Bradley one ups you.

3 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

I do believe Irsay had his heart in the right place by bringing back Pagano and Grigson. When Luck misses 9 games it's hard to know how much blame goes to the coaching staff and the GM, but why give them 4 year deals? Maybe that is the only way Pagano would sign, if that's the case I would have shown him the door.

Yep, these 2 need to be gone.  I don't think Irsay has much to worry about other teams falling all over themselves in a rush to hire them...they will probable get jobs as scout and DBs coach, which is where they belong.

44 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Luck suck, overpaid and overrated.  This team is horrible!  Fire Grigs and Pags now and start rebuilding. 

He's got 3 rookies on the oline, the defense rarely gives him a short field, he's got one WR to speak of, and the offensive scheme is questionable.  What more do you want from him?

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Your HC and GM who you just shelled-out huge contracts to in the off-season get embarrassed in front of the entire country and the UK by the worst team in the NFL. 

The worst team in the NFL --- by far --- is Cleveland.       That wasn't hard to see.

Among the others....

Chicago,  New Orleans,  and San Francisco....

There's a lot of talent on the J'Ville roster.....

41 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

We will rebound starting with our next game.  It's not too late and Jim Irsay has nothing to do with how poorly the team is playing to start games.  It can be fixed but the coaches have to come up with a better game plan, and as players get healthy, we will return to form.

Okay that statement is getting old now. I've been hearing that since last season. "Just give the team time", "They'll rebound and win the next game", "Its not over yet. We're still figuring things out".

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Okay that statement is getting old now. I've been hearing that since last season. "Just give the team time", "They'll rebound and win the next game", "Its not over yet. We're still figuring things out".

Our fan base is the most optimistic and always has blue tinted glasses 

Looks like the national news media has not wasted any time... 

Two fresh articles hot off the press,  about how Pagano and Grigson  should both be on "The Hot Seat"

Sporting News: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colts-general-manager-ryan-grigson-chuck-pagano-london-jaguars-fired/1xrk3xv8lt62g1avq72gk5lk3g

The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/10/02/the-colts-rapid-regression-shows-how-faith-in-chuck-pagano-ryan-grigson-may-prove-costly/

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Our fan base is the most optimistic and always has blue tinted glasses 

Is optimism not a good thing for a fan? If you give up on a season in week 4, it's going to be a long year of football. I'm not very high on our team atm, but by Wednesday I will be hopeful that we can at least pull off a win next week. 

3 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Is optimism not a good thing for a fan? If you give up on a season in week 4, it's going to be a long year of football. I'm not very high on our team atm, but by Wednesday I will be hopeful that we can at least pull off a win next week. 

When your still the same happy go lucky losers after 5 years of the same crap yeah it gets old and needs to go away we blow we have been getting worse every damn year it's pathetic and not something us as fans should be accepting 

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Imagine being the HC and GM in the last year of their contract, fighting their hardest to keep their jobs with all this pressure. 

Now either jim is either really smart, or really stupid. When this season ends, and he keeps these guys. He's really stupid. If not, he took the pressure off his front office, while showing their true intent and or skill. 

He was stupid for hiring them. I was totally against having a rookie GM and a rookie coach to handle a team with a franchise QB being drafted. 

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think Vonte is 100% and Castonzo is playing as poorly as I can remember....

I'm hoping he's hurt too,  because if not,  his performance is simply not acceptable.

When is the last time VD was 100% ? I think sometime in 2014. After a while , you just have to rate his play on how he performs. He no longer makes big plays on the ball . Granted the tendency is to pick on the other Indy CB's as they are easy marks but bottom line is he's not been anything close to special for 1 1/4 years. Castonzo plays confused and get's badly beaten way too often. Maybe he's hurt... dunno.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

When is the last time VD was 100% ? I think sometime in 2014. After a while , you just have to rate his play on how he performs. He no longer makes big plays on the ball . Granted the tendency is to pick on the other Indy CB's as they are easy marks but bottom line is he's not been anything close to special for 1 1/4 years. Castonzo plays confused and get's badly beaten way too often. Maybe he's hurt... dunno.

I thought the view was that Vonte played pretty well in the 2nd half of last year......?

That's my recollection...

But, I agree with you that he's hurt way too often.....    I'd like to see at least 5 less pounds on Vonte....

And losing Smith for a 2nd straight year doesn't help.     In essence,  he was our 2nd round draft pick.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

When your still the same happy go lucky losers after 5 years of the same crap yeah it gets old and needs to go away we blow we have been getting worse every damn year it's pathetic and not something us as fans should be accepting 

It's not like we can do anything about it..... If anything has been proven by our terrible coach, GM and owner, it is that they don't listen to the fans, the team, even basic reasoning. So id rather sit back and HOPE for some good football then be * off and stressed over things that are beyond our control.  I vent after a bad game, and go back to hoping for a decent game next week.  

It's about all we can do at this point. 

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It's not like we can do anything about it..... If anything has been proven by our terrible coach, GM and owner, it is that they don't listen to the fans, the team, even basic reasoning. So id rather sit back and HOPE for some good football then be * off and stressed over things that are beyond our control.  I vent after a bad game, and go back to hoping for a decent game next week.  

It's about all we can do at this point. 

That's fine but we got some here who just keep making up excuses like injuries or we just need time blah blah blah that's who I'm talking about literally the team can do no wrong in their eyes

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought the view was that Vonte played pretty well in the 2nd half of last year......?

That's my recollection...

But, I agree with you that he's hurt way too often.....    I'd like to see at least 5 less pounds on Vonte....

And losing Smith for a 2nd straight year doesn't help.     In essence,  he was our 2nd round draft pick.

I remember VD being just Ok at the end of last year but maybe you are right.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's fine but we got some here who just keep making up excuses like injuries or we just need time blah blah blah that's who I'm talking about literally the team can do no wrong in their eyes

Yah the blue tint is irritating, but it's part of some people's way of attempting to be optimistic.  If they have an excuse then it isn't really happening. It's textbook denial tactics. 

I think the more important thing to imagine is being Andrew Luck.  The poor kid was promised that they were doing things different: new coaches, new strategy,  drafted him a line. Now he's 4 weeks in, it's the same old garbage, and he's hitched himself to this wagon for the rest of the prime years of his career, with the possibility of this not changing for 4 seasons. 

I am not really suprised at all, what suprised me most actually was that we got a win last week over the Chargers. That shocked me more even and we did get a few breaks in that game IMO.

Not suprising at all to me really, the Jags always give us their best shot and they have always done this even going back to the Manning days. This division might be bad but all 3 of them are going to give us their best shot. I had a bad feeling we lose this game and didn't wake up until late in the game when we were down big and before the comeback began.

This was never going to be a "good" team this year........I often knew this which is why I was always hesitant to call a season prediction for this year.

I am not really that upset even, I was more upset when we lost week 1 to the Lions. That was a major red flag to me that this team had issues. I said all offseason that we would be in trouble if we lost week 1 or started 0-2 again. 

But, at least Irsay got his Prince guitar. lmao 

7 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think the more important thing to imagine is being Andrew Luck.  The poor kid was promised that they were doing things different: new coaches, new strategy,  drafted him a line. Now he's 4 weeks in, it's the same old garbage, and he's hitched himself to this wagon for the rest of the prime years of his career, with the possibility of this not changing for 4 seasons. 

I'd be extremely disappointed and I'd feel cheated. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Hard for me to blame Luck a whole lot but I agree with all the rest you have. To me the most discouraging is the regression of V Davis and Castonzo . 

I thought Davis showed some signs of declining last year and it's possible he isn't healthy enough yet this year either.

The Davis we had earlier on a few years ago seems like a long time ago now........

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Well, if I'm Irsay, I would be really happy because I have several millions in the bank.  With that said, if he's upset about how the team is doing, the person responsible is in the mirror

Colts will have alot of money under the cap, we just have to use it right, Thats been the issue with off season moves, to many didnt work, same with some drafy picks like Bjorn ( sp ) a first rounder ,

yet elway gets some on bargains ( Sanders was a throw away , onl;y think KC wanted him but he wanted Peyton ) were others alos that worked just cant remember names

But to take a team with great offense and build a Defensive Juggernaut with out an offense , in 2 years that wins the SB shows some people out there know what they are doing while others dont

Well looks like we may just draft high but being in the afc south u never know in the end

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Well, if I'm Irsay, I would be really happy because I have several millions in the bank.  With that said, if he's upset about how the team is doing, the person responsible is in the mirror

Yeah this is on Irsay for bringing back these bums. I was flabbergasted when it was announced and still am.