Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Imagine being Jim Irsay right now.

Dustin

1 minute ago, Jules said:

I thought Davis showed some signs of declining last year and it's possible he isn't healthy enough yet this year either.

The Davis we had earlier on a few years ago seems like a long time ago now........

That's exactly what my feelings are . He was a stud in 2013 and 2014 . Since then (like you say .. a long time ago), he's at least appears to be nothing special. There are plenty of guys in the NFL that just decline due to constant nagging injuries .

When you look at this Colt roster's veteran players , it's full of players that are not worth anywhere near their salary. V Davis is set to earn 10 mill in 2017 and the Colts would save around 9 mill by cutting him. No way that happens as the rest of the CB's on the roster play like hot garbage , but there are plenty of teams that would take a hard look at the cap situation if Davis didn't step up a bit.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

That's exactly what my feelings are . He was a stud in 2013 and 2014 . Since then (like you say .. a long time ago), he's at least appears to be nothing special. There are plenty of guys in the NFL that just decline due to constant nagging injuries .

When you look at this Colt roster's veteran players , it's full of players that are not worth anywhere near their salary. V Davis is set to earn 10 mill in 2017 and the Colts would save around 9 mill by cutting him. No way that happens as the rest of the CB's on the roster play like hot garbage , but there are plenty of teams that would take a hard look at the cap situation if Davis didn't step up a bit.

Yeah like Allen not worth a penny they pay him . 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lol if that's strides in the line then shoot me now 

There were 3 rookies starting today, and they actually started to hold their own in the 2nd half. I'm not throwing those guys under the bus for today's loss. Dwayne Allen & the entire starting defense is a different story.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should be 3-1 right now if our team was fundamentally sound as in didn't commit dumb penalties and could tackle. I don't think we lack talent, we blew the Lions game because our Defense couldn't get a stop and today the Jags were stinking it up early but we were too with drop passes and penalties. 

Can't tackle , no pass rush and not 1 LB that can cover. That's a lack of talent. Plus the O line can't protect but maybe with 3 injured players on the right side , there's an excuse there. But Castonzo has been bad too. 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Can't tackle , no pass rush and not 1 LB that can cover. That's a lack of talent. Plus the O line can't protect but maybe with 3 injured players on the right side , there's an excuse there. But Castonzo has been bad too. 

Still could easily be 3-1 even without the dumb penalties. Even with a team that isn't overly talent if you eliminate the penalties and Turnovers you can still win games with a Good QB

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yep the Davis of a few years ago looked to be in the small elite group of DBs in football, not sure what happened and if he can get it back but........now those days seem long gone even if he still can be good from time to time. But, the "Davis Island" days seem over.

However, I am not a huge fan of overly depending just on a DB either to save a defense. We did the same at times with Bob Sanders.

Give me play makers in the front 7 more often any day of the week.........

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Now I gotta sit here and watch Will Fuller blow up for Houston. Already has 5 catches, and we can't even get Dorsett more than 3 targets in a game.... we're turning Andrew Luck from the next Peyton Manning into the next Jeff George.... Irsay's gonna have some tough decisions to make after the season because I don't know if fans here will keep buying the seats if we return to our 80's & early 90's ways...

If fans stop buying tickets then and only then will we see any changes being made on this team!

20 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Please elaborate. 

1. He has created a culture where it is ok to do just enough.  We put up a banner for participating in the AFC Championship game.  Not for winning it, but for making it there. 

2. He's the one who brought Pagano back and gave Grigson an extension. 

3. He, and by extension the franchise, is hyper-focused on Luck, when he should be approaching it as a team game.

I appreciate his passion, but until he figures out that he's the problem, this team will be stuck.  If he's OK with the ineptitude of Pagano and Grigson, he's the problem

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yep the Davis of a few years ago looked to be in the small elite group of DBs in football, not sure what happened and if he can get it back but........now those days seem long gone even if he still can be good from time to time. But, the "Davis Island" days seem over.

However, I am not a huge fan of overly depending just on a DB either to save a defense. We did the same at times with Bob Sanders.

Give me play makers in the front 7 more often any day of the week.........

Agreed. The secondary was supposed to be a strength of this team, but instead it's been a liability. The lack of pass rush definitely isn't doing them any favors though, they can only cover downfield for so long.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

1. He has created a culture where it is ok to do just enough.  We put up a banner for participating in the AFC Championship game.  Not for winning it, but for making it there. 

3. He, and by extension the franchise, is hyper-focused on Luck, when he should be approaching it as a team game.

I appreciate his passion, but until he figures out that he's the problem, this team will be stuck.  If he's OK with the ineptitude of Pagano and Grigson, he's the problem

1. AFC Championship Game banners ars not new.  They exist for the 1995 and 2003 appearances, and nobody ever accused Irsay of being satisfied with just getting there back then.

2. Fair point, but what were the better options at the time?  Furthermore, given Irsay's fondness for how the Rooneys and Maras have run their teams, not surprising. 

3.  Everything I've heard from Irsay indicates his desire to put a competent team around Luck.  His front office has failed him.

11 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

We put up a Final 4 banner in 1995 and everyone loved it. I still don't get why people are so bothered by him putting up a 2014 Final 4 banner especially considering DeflateGate was a part of it. Making the Championship Game is a great accomplishment. #2 may have been a huge mistake though, that I cant argue as we look a like a team that is undisciplined and lost with the way the things are being ran.

2 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

1. AFC Championship Game banners ars not new.  They exist for the 1995 and 2003 appearances, and nobody ever accused Irsay of being satisfied with just getting there back then.

2. Fair point, but what were the better options at the time?  Furthermore, given Irsay's fondness for how the Rooneys and Maras have run their teams, not surprising.

3.  Everything I've heard from Irsay indicates his desire to put a competent team around Luck.  His front office has failed him.

Just because he likes how those franchises do things, doesn't mean he did the right thing by extending Pagano and Grigson.  When you have mediocre coaches and GMs, you cut the cord and find better people.  You don't give them an extension, thereby accepting their mediocrity.  Not only that, but Pagano <<< Tomlin and Coughlin.  The Rooneys and Maras were able to find good coaches and keep them.  Irsay and Grigson found a very mediocre one and Irsay kept him.  Huge difference.

And if his front office failed him, why did he give an extension to that very same GM?  If I recognize people around me are failing me, I don't continue to work with them.  I look for someone better.  Irsay kept both guys around.  To me, that means he's fine with doing things just good enough.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Just because he likes how those franchises do things, doesn't mean he did the right thing by extending Pagano and Grigson.  When you have mediocre coaches and GMs, you cut the cord and find better people.  You don't give them an extension, thereby accepting their mediocrity.  Not only that, but Pagano <<< Tomlin and Coughlin.  The Rooneys and Maras were able to find good coaches and keep them.  Irsay and Grigson found a very mediocre one and Irsay kept him.  Huge difference.

And if his front office failed him, why did he give an extension to that very same GM?  If I recognize people around me are failing me, I don't continue to work with them.  I look for someone better.  Irsay kept both guys around.  To me, that means he's fine with doing things just good enough.

I think you are forgetting that the Steelers had plenty of bad seasons under Knoll and Cowher, and likewise for the Giants with Coughlin.  The Colts have yet to have a losing season in the Grigson-Pagano era, and that's coming off a total rebuild and the cap hell the Polians put the team in.  Yes, we could all see the chinks in the armor while all of that was going on, but I can also understand Irsay's patience and faith that Grigson and Pagano could learn and get better. Right now that decision doesn't look good, but to go off and say Irsay accepts mediocrity is beyond factual or rational.

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yah the blue tint is irritating, but it's part of some people's way of attempting to be optimistic.  If they have an excuse then it isn't really happening. It's textbook denial tactics. 

And it's not like we don't roote for the Colts to do good. It's just we don't go into denial. We know a bad team when we see one?

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah this is on Irsay for bringing back these bums. I was flabbergasted when it was announced and still am.   

One thing about Pagano... He is a great salesman.

He sold Irsay the same bunch of crap he's been selling everybody for years.

Irsay bought it. And now Pagano is locked in.

Sit Castonzo's and Reitz's buts on the bench.  They have played long enough that we know they suck and always will.  Reitz has always had an injury problem for as far back as I can remember.  Castonzo doesn't seem to give a crap anymore.  Castonzo gave up just as many pressures as Haeg I thought.  Try Good at LT and keep the rest of the line like it was today.  See if we have anything special in the young guys because our veterans stink.

11 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

I think you are forgetting that the Steelers had plenty of bad seasons under Knoll and Cowher, and likewise for the Giants with Coughlin.  The Colts have yet to have a losing season in the Grigson-Pagano era, and that's coming off a total rebuild and the cap hell the Polians put the team in.  Yes, we could all see the chinks in the armor while all of that was going on, but I can also understand Irsay's patience and faith that Grigson and Pagano could learn and get better. Right now that decision doesn't look good, but to go off and say Irsay accepts mediocrity is beyond factual or rational.

Irsay's patience has lasted 5 years and we're still stuck with a team that relies heavily on its QB to get wins because of a non-existent defense.  At some point, it goes from being patient to being OK with ineptitude.  To me, giving an incompetent GM and head coach extensions shows he's OK with mediocrity.

4 years into their tenures with New York and Pittsburgh respectively, Tom Coughlin won a Super Bowl with the Giants, Noll was building one of the most dominant defenses of all time, and Cowher had made it to a Super Bowl.  On the other hand, Chuck Pagano's defense is on track to be one of the worst of all time (http://forums.colts.com/topic/47731-25-of-the-way-through-the-season-the-colts-are-on-pace-to-give-up-the-4th-highest-amount-of-points-in-league-history).  Not only that, but he made it to one AFC Championship Game and got completely stomped by the Patriots.  Furthermore, all of those coaches had long tenures with their teams whereas many people are shocked that Pagano was given a second contract with the Colts.  You can't compare what Coughlin, Noll, and Cowher achieved with what Pagano achieved.  It's not even in the same ball park  .

32 minutes ago, Introspect said:

When you are under the influence BAD decisions are made!

So do you have first hand knowledge if Jim being under the influence? Or is it nonsense you are talking? Maybe be you are under some sort of influence just because I say so?

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Irsay's patience has lasted 5 years and we're still stuck with a team that relies heavily on its QB to get wins because of a non-existent defense.  At some point, it goes from being patient to being OK with ineptitude.  To me, giving an incompetent GM and head coach extensions shows he's OK with mediocrity.

4 years into their tenures with New York and Pittsburgh respectively, Tom Coughlin won a Super Bowl with the Giants, Noll was building one of the most dominant defenses of all time, and Cowher had made it to a Super Bowl.  On the other hand, Chuck Pagano's defense is on track to be one of the worst of all time (http://forums.colts.com/topic/47731-25-of-the-way-through-the-season-the-colts-are-on-pace-to-give-up-the-4th-highest-amount-of-points-in-league-history).  Not only that, but he made it to one AFC Championship Game and got completely stomped by the Patriots.  Furthermore, all of those coaches had long tenures with their teams whereas many people are shocked that Pagano was given a second contract with the Colts.  You can't compare what Coughlin, Noll, and Cowher achieved with what Pagano achieved.  It's not even in the same ball park  .

Who would you have hired to replace Pagano and Grigson?

24 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

So the Colts were the only team in Patriots history to get beat in an AFC championship game?

Why cant Pagano be compared to those other coaches? Ain't that what comparison is?

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

What's the difference in putting up a banner for making the AFC championship game compared to winning a division title without winning another game after that? Banners represent something that was good done by the team.. If banners don't mean anything then none should be allowed except for a super bowl banner.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What's the difference in putting up a banner for making the AFC championship game compared to winning a division title without winning another game after that? Banners represent something that was good done by the team.. If banners don't mean anything then none should be allowed except for a super bowl banner.

An AFC Championship banner means far more than a participation banner in an AFC championship game. If you can't understand the difference, then I don't know what to tell you.