Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will the Colts win their first game this season?

James

We have lost against the Lions and the Broncos. We've started 0-2 before and come back to make the playoffs. But back then we didn't have this absurd amount of injuries. The defense is decimated, and I assume it will stay decimated for some time, because A) we will not get all our injured guys back next week and B) based on recent history chances are more players will get injured. So the premise for your prediction will be that we'll continue to not have our best defense out there for some time. Don't know about Moncrief yet, but him missing time could have an impact on offense too. This should also be considered.

Week 3: The San Diego Chargers are 1-1 now. They put up 38 points on the Jacksonville Jaguars who have a better defense, including a better secondary and pass rush, compared to our defense. They put up those points without their best receiver Keenan Allen who is out for the season. Can we stop Rivers, Gates, Benjamin, Gordon etc? Their defense did a good job of limiting Bortles and those talented receivers. Can our offense finally start fast and put some points up in the 1st and 2nd quarter? We as fans have been hoping for that to happen for years now, but it'll probably be more of the same putrid 1st and 2nd quarter offense with a couple field goals, maybe a single TD. Certainly hope to be surprised in that regard. 0-3.

Week 4: the Jacksonville Jaguars are 0-2 like us. Tied for last place in the division. The loser goes to 0-3 and last place. Their offense can put up points - especially on our decimated defense. In fact, Bortles + Hurns + Robinson + J. Thomas I like more than Denver's QB and receivers. So again, the offense will have to keep up with them in order for us to have a chance in this game. IMO, it'll be another loss again because of our injured and thus putrid defense. 0-4. Fortunately for us, the Texans likely lose to the Patriots at Foxboro, which means they'll be 2-1. That's still within reach for us, provided we actually start winning some games.

Week 5: the Chicago Bears at home. If we can't beat this team at LOS, then we are not going anywhere this season. I think we finally get a win, but even so we are 1-4. 

Week 6: the Houston Texans. This is the one. If we win, we gain momentum, and we still have a chance to win the division. Hopefully at this point Anderson, Davis etc. are all back and ready to go. Let's hope it's not too late, i.e. being 0-5.

So when do you think we'll get our first win?

Not sure when but this is a 4 - 12 team at best.  We can't stop anyone if we have to.  We would have to score 45 points to win which we can't.  When Vonte comes back he can't rush the passer or play o-line.  Tell me what has changed since last year other that Andrew is playing.  Same stupid offensive penalties no pass rush.  What will change.  This is just a bad team.  The experts are correct we will finish last in the AFC south.  Sorry to be so negative but really hard not to be after today.

Within about a 10-12 month period, this fan base has gone from pointing toward a Super Bowl to simply accepting the fact this team might go 0-4, 0-5, 0-6.  Everyone seems to be accepting it.  I find myself accepting it. 

That's a clear sign this franchise is not headed in the right direction. 

39 minutes ago, James said:

We have lost against the Lions and the Broncos. We've started 0-2 before and come back to make the playoffs. But back then we didn't have this absurd amount of injuries. The defense is decimated, and I assume it will stay decimated for some time, because A) we will not get all our injured guys back next week and B) based on recent history chances are more players will get injured. So the premise for your prediction will be that we'll continue to not have our best defense out there for some time. Don't know about Moncrief yet, but him missing time could have an impact on offense too. This should also be considered.

Week 3: The San Diego Chargers are 1-1 now. They put up 38 points on the Jacksonville Jaguars who have a better defense, including a better secondary and pass rush, compared to our defense. They put up those points without their best receiver Keenan Allen who is out for the season. Can we stop Rivers, Gates, Benjamin, Gordon etc? Their defense did a good job of limiting Bortles and those talented receivers. Can our offense finally start fast and put some points up in the 1st and 2nd quarter? We as fans have been hoping for that to happen for years now, but it'll probably be more of the same putrid 1st and 2nd quarter offense with a couple field goals, maybe a single TD. Certainly hope to be surprised in that regard. 0-3.

Week 4: the Jacksonville Jaguars are 0-2 like us. Tied for last place in the division. The loser goes to 0-3 and last place. Their offense can put up points - especially on our decimated defense. In fact, Bortles + Hurns + Robinson + J. Thomas I like more than Denver's QB and receivers. So again, the offense will have to keep up with them in order for us to have a chance in this game. IMO, it'll be another loss again because of our injured and thus putrid defense. 0-4. Fortunately for us, the Texans likely lose to the Patriots at Foxboro, which means they'll be 2-1. That's still within reach for us, provided we actually start winning some games.

Week 5: the Chicago Bears at home. If we can't beat this team at LOS, then we are not going anywhere this season. I think we finally get a win, but even so we are 1-4. 

Week 6: the Houston Texans. This is the one. If we win, we gain momentum, and we still have a chance to win the division. Hopefully at this point Anderson, Davis etc. are all back and ready to go. Let's hope it's not too late, i.e. being 0-5.

Best case scenario: I predict we will win the next 3 games and the Texan's game, will, in the end, decide if we make the playoffs as division winners or not.  At that point we'll be on the rise and healthier heading to a 10-6 or 9-7 record squeaking into the final playoff spot where we'll play at the Texans (or vice versa) in the wild card. 

Otherwise if we lose any of the next 3, playoffs are over and people will be fired.  The second half of the season is brutal compared to the first 7 games.

Now let me say that for us to have had the ball with 2 minutes to go and a chance to go down and win the game was an amazing achievement, adding in 2 horrible pass interference calls which really hurt us both times, our coaching staff did a very good job with what they had which was just North of nothing,  And what they had was the fault of a combination of serious injuries and terrible personnel decisions over the past 4 years,  

In the end, Denver, New England and Pittsburgh will fight it out for the AFC crown.  We need to get younger players who are peaking rather than fading away on Defense, a seasoned O-line and some quality depth.  That said, Gore's TD was one of the plays of the year in my view.

16 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Could be as soon as next week. I'm not sure how good the Chargers defense is after letting the Chiefs come back week one, so it will probably be another shootout. 

Chargers may be with Woodhead. They've already lost Kenan Allen. I think the Colts win the next 3 games. Don't know how many they'll win this year, but I'll be an optimist for at least 3 weeks.

6 minutes ago, corgi said:

Chargers may be with Woodhead. They've already lost Kenan Allen. I think the Colts win the next 3 games. Don't know how many they'll win this year, but I'll be an optimist for at least 3 weeks.

Melvin Gordon has been playing better this year too, but yeah you're right. Aside from Benjamin the Chargers are pretty thin at receiver. 

1 hour ago, James said:

Actually the texans win versus pats due to a rookie starting for the pats at qb

8 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Melvin Gordon has been playing better this year too, but yeah you're right. Aside from Benjamin the Chargers are pretty thin at receiver. 

the way our secondary misses tackles and can't cover I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers throws 8 tds

Reality is  COLTS ARE NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM  not enough talent ON the defense/ no rushing ability on offense and rely too much on their franchise Quarterback to make big plays and win games which could spell disaster for a one dimensional team! Luck could end up on th DL again from getting Beat up! ITS GOING TO BE A LONG YEAR!

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

No I'm saying we will win week 5 against the Bears. We will win the first game after chuck is fired

Regardless if this Colts team is 0-4, 1-3, or 2-2, what leads one to believe Irsay would fire Pagano 1/4 of the way into the season, or during the course of the season at all???

I'm not a huge Pagano fan, but what does firing a guy mid-season accomplish, unless you truly believe your next HC is already on staff. Is Chud really the guy??? What genius HC would be available that would be a significant upgrade to Pagano that won't already be employed in the NFL or by a major University program, in October during football season???

Without truly knowing where Irsay stands in regards to the coaching staff, I would say Irsay's actions of more recent years, has shown that he errs on the side of caution and proceeds with a certain level of prudence when making significant football decisions for the Colts...

If this team misses the playoffs for a second season in a row I can imagine some changes will take place, but I highly doubt Irsay would do anything before the team is mathematically eliminated from a playoff berth.If a coaching change happens it would be highly surprising if it were anytime prior to Black Monday. Last years firing of Pep was a different scenario because Chud was already on staff...