Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harrison to RG?

IrishColt22

Just a minor observation. If you watch the OTA vid from this morning they is a section that looks like LT-Castanso, LG-Mewhort, C-Kelly, RG-Harrison, RT-not in shot.
I know OTA's first week with rookies but interesting that they are looking at him at guard off the bat. Does anyone think he would be good there in a ZBS?

1 hour ago, IrishColt22 said:

Does anyone think he would be good there in a ZBS?

I don't. I think he's rigid and has limited mobility. He also isn't good at finding people to block at the second level. 

He might be a decent fit at guard in a MBS, but he's not a good puller either. I think he's just a bad lineman. He's strong as heck, but that's pretty much it. He has poor awareness, he's an inconsistent snapper, he doesn't move well, he plays with poor technique, he has poor footwork... if it were up to me, I'd have released Harrison, not Holmes.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I see the typical fan mean spiritedness is in full spring bloom and it's only May 10th!!

How happy you all must be!!        :facepalm:

I know a bit ridiculous. Ourlads has our starting OL as Castonzo Thorton Kelly Harrison Mewhort not sure that means much. I have always wanted to see Jack move to the right side Pep liked to pull the LG a lot and Mewhort just wasn't very good at it.

Harrison needs a look at the G spots. If he can't play G not much reason to keep him around. We do need a back up C. They have already sent the biggest problem packing 

I am no expert but evidently the coaches see something in Harrison besides fans seeing him as a bad player. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened. I'm not going to be so down on him till the final results are in. Who knows, he may be better than some think after being coached up with our new coaches. With the depth we have on the O-line now maybe the coaches are just trying different things? I wouldn't put too much into it. I have seen a couple of things in the past in practice that was head scratching. Like Boomstick playing wide receiver and Manning playing linebacker? :scratch:

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I know a bit ridiculous. Ourlads has our starting OL as Castonzo Thorton Kelly Harrison Mewhort not sure that means much. I have always wanted to see Jack move to the right side Pep liked to pull the LG a lot and Mewhort just wasn't very good at it.

Harrison needs a look at the G spots. If he can't play G not much reason to keep him around. We do need a back up C. They have already sent the biggest problem packing 

Ourlads wasn't good 20 or 30 years ago when it got much more attention back in the day.

Not good then.        Not good now.

Remember,  there's lots and lots of crap on the internet.      The job as a fan is to be able to sift out the good stuff from the bad stuff.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't. I think he's rigid and has limited mobility. He also isn't good at finding people to block at the second level. 

He might be a decent fit at guard in a MBS, but he's not a good puller either. I think he's just a bad lineman. He's strong as heck, but that's pretty much it. He has poor awareness, he's an inconsistent snapper, he doesn't move well, he plays with poor technique, he has poor footwork... if it were up to me, I'd have released Harrison, not Holmes.

Good points, while Dustin would probably just say "He is trash!". lmao

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

There is a video on Stampede Blue.  Check out Luck's gut.  Looks like he has a little work to do. 

I'm assuming you're talking about this?

and I'm not sure if you're being serious or not....That's not a gut. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

He isn't good at finding people to block when they are right in front of him.

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree -- my only thinking with Holmes is either he asked to be released assuming the draft picks were taken to replace him, or his injury concerns led him to draw a lower grade from the FO than Harrison.

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am no expert but evidently the coaches see something in Harrison besides fans seeing him as a bad player. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened. I'm not going to be so down on him till the final results are in. Who knows, he may be better than some think after being coached up with our new coaches. With the depth we have on the O-line now maybe the coaches are just trying different things? I wouldn't put too much into it. I have seen a couple of things in the past in practice that was head scratching. Like Boomstick playing wide receiver and Manning playing linebacker? :scratch:

I do remember when Harrison was an undrafted FA, Pagano was very high on him -- I know Pagano is high on all our players, but he was especially high on Harrison when he was a rookie.  Maybe they see more potential in him than we do -- I tend to agree with Superman, that outside of being freakishly strong he doesn't have much, but maybe Pagano/Grigs think Philbin can help him improve other areas.

On 5/11/2016 at 8:57 PM, akcolt said:

That's what she said. :D

I agree with Supes, though. I'd have booted Harrison over Holmes.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I agree -- my only thinking with Holmes is either he asked to be released assuming the draft picks were taken to replace him, or his injury concerns led him to draw a lower grade from the FO than Harrison.

I do remember when Harrison was an undrafted FA, Pagano was very high on him -- I know Pagano is high on all our players, but he was especially high on Harrison when he was a rookie.  Maybe they see more potential in him than we do -- I tend to agree with Superman, that outside of being freakishly strong he doesn't have much, but maybe Pagano/Grigs think Philbin can help him improve other areas.

I also remember when Harrison started his first couple of games. We were pretty excited at first and a bunch were talking him up rather high. Thinking we had finally found a decent center but it seemed he never improved. We watched him regress instead. Wait and see I guess?

On 5/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Dude.  Not sure why no one gets this. Harrison is tons better than Holmes 

Harrison is a physical specimen that our coaching staff has #ed up

Holmes was lazy  enough said 

you people who like Holmes better are dumb at evaluating. 

Edited by Superman

I actually think Harrison at RG could work out pretty well.

He is a physical beast in terms of strength, his obvious weakness as a C lay in the cerebral side of the game. As a RG, he would have less to do pre-snap and could focus on just his role, rather than setting up the entire O-line whilst trying to see what Andrew see's and try to pre-emptively think about what Andrew is thinking about.

Taking that element away from him would make it so much easier to get his head around what would be required from him mentally as a guard and he would be able to focus on his technique more as a result. I say give him a shot in TC and he may surprise us all.

20 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Dude.  Not sure why no one gets this. Harrison is tons better than Holmes 

Harrison is a physical specimen that our coaching staff has #ed up

Holmes was  lazy  enough said 

you people who like Holmes better are dumb at evaluating. 

Harrison is strong.  He has not shown much high-level skill at moving and has shown very little awareness.  I am not convinced the coaching staff #ed up, it's been going on for 2 years now -- I highly doubt any coach at the NFL level would not be able to realize that Harrison is not getting to the second level or being able to do much with anything other than using force to move or stop someone that runs right into him.

Have you been in any coaching rooms, in the weight room, behind the scenes with the Colts?  Can you tell me how you know exactly how lazy Holmes is 

Edited by Superman

On 5/10/2016 at 7:39 PM, IrishColt22 said:

Just a minor observation. If you watch the OTA vid from this morning they is a section that looks like LT-Castanso, LG-Mewhort, C-Kelly, RG-Harrison, RT-not in shot.
I know OTA's first week with rookies but interesting that they are looking at him at guard off the bat. Does anyone think he would be good there in a ZBS?

It is really very simple.
 On game day we typically only dress 7 O-Lineman.
 One of your starting guards needs to be able to play Center in case of an injury during the game to your center, Or one of the 2 game day backups needs to be able to play center in this situation
   Ideally one of your backups can play C or guard in case of injuries, and one can play T or guard.
 Harrison has had work at Guard from his beginning here. They need to figure out where he is at Now.
 He has competition from Rookie Blythe for the backup center spot. But Blythe has a huge problem though, he has Extremely short arms and lacks the typically required girth to play Guard. Think Shipley!
 If Harrison doesn`t look promising real soon, our GM will be looking for his replacement.
 Not that his staff isn`t already looking around for better prospects.

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Harrison is strong.  He has not shown much high-level skill at moving and has shown very little awareness.  I am not convinced the coaching staff #ed up, it's been going on for 2 years now -- I highly doubt any coach at the NFL level would not be able to realize that Harrison is not getting to the second level or being able to do much with anything other than using force to move or stop someone that runs right into him.

Have you been in any coaching rooms, in the weight room, behind the scenes with the Colts?  Can you tell me how you know exactly how lazy Holmes is 

Yes Grigs basically said it in an interview.   He gave up on the team last yr after Luck went down and didnt give much effort to come back from his injury, when it was believed he was ready. 

And for the other thing I didnt say it was his Mom did I?

And dont forget they kept Harrison not the lazy #

Edited by Superman

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I wouldn't call Holmes lazy, but he obviously lost favor with the staff because of his inability to get out of the training room and back on the field. Grigson said as much. I think he lacked heart and will, but calling any NFL player lazy is something I won't do.