Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts opening day O-line

CR91

Hopefully we get a guard in the 2nd and a gem Center in the 4th or so who comes in, plays well, and starts 16 games.

Castanzo-Mewhort-Boehm-Westerman-Good

Best case scenario is Boehm and Westerman comes in and balls out, while Denzel Good beats out Reitz and gets better and better and turns into a really solid starting RT.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Hopefully we get a guard in the 2nd and a gem Center in the 4th or so who comes in, plays well, and starts 16 games.

Best case scenario is Boehm and Westerman comes in and balls out, while Denzel Good beats out Reitz and gets better and better and turns into a really solid starting RT.

boehm I have us taking in the 5th. as for guard, parker peaks my interest with his versatility and can easily get him in the 7th  

16 minutes ago, GuitarMD said:

Most likely: AC - Mewhort - Harrison - Draft - Good

What I would like: AC - Mewhort - Draft - Draft - Good

unless you want luck to get injured again, harrison should in no way start. guy couldnt block a stunt if the LBer was coming for his mom

I certainly don't want anyone hurt, #12 included.

My opinion is simply that Harrison may benefit more from Philbin coaching than Holmes. I think Holmes weaknesses were more physical and less mental.

I could very well be wrong. Either way, I hope our center play improves, be it from coaching or from roster upgrade (or both).

Most likely : Castozo....Mehort....Harrison.....Thornton....Good

What Needs to happen : Castonzo...Mewhort...Kelly....Draft pick....Reitz

It' time to bite the bullet and spend some serious resources and finally address the OL.

Harrison,Holmes, and Thorton need to go. Their high on Good but I wouldn't rely on him until he does it on field.

Another possibilty is Reitz/Good at RG and spend a 2nd/3rd round pick on a versatile RT.

I don't like 2 rooks starting but if they are the right picks(Kelly is) they can't be worse than who they are replacing.

2 high draft picks on OL not as sexy as Edge Rushers or Hard hitting S but the problem needs to be solved!

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Most likely : Castozo....Mehort....Harrison.....Thornton....Good

What Needs to happen : Castonzo...Mewhort...Kelly....Draft pick....Reitz

It' time to bite the bullet and spend some serious resources and finally address the OL.

Harrison,Holmes, and Thorton need to go. Their high on Good but I wouldn't rely on him until he does it on field.

Another possibilty is Reitz/Good at RG and spend a 2nd/3rd round pick on a versatile RT.

I don't like 2 rooks starting but if they are the right picks(Kelly is) they can't be worse than who they are replacing.

2 high draft picks on OL not as sexy as Edge Rushers or Hard hitting S but the problem needs to be solved!

Couldn't agree more, enough is enough. I feel like we could draft defense in round one and go o-line in rounds two and three. Joshua Garnett and Nick Martin are a couple of players I really hope Grigson has his eye on.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Lets say the colts starting oline vs the lions was 

AC Mewhort Draft pick Reitz Good

your thoughts?

AC     Mewhort     Draft Pick     Thornton     Reitz

The right guard will get figured out by 2017.     Either Thornton shows that he can do the job and stay healthy.   If not,   then perhaps Good gets a look in 16/17 and/or we draft a guard next year.

But with only six picks in this draft,  it's hard to see the Colts committing to using two of them on the o-line.

We have lots of other needs,  too many IMO,  to be spending two high to mid-round picks on the line.    But an upgrade at center is desperately needed.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why take the best Guard in the draft and put him at C?

I have read numerous reports on him that he has played every position on the OL.  More than one categorize his pro position as G or C.  It sounds like he can play anywhere and his versatility would be a huge plus. 

My idealistic hopes about oline:

1.  Change of blocking scheme bodes well for some of our current talent turning one or more of our under performers into highly productive. 

2.  Joe Philbin brought in to, and does, coach up our oline causing significant improvement in all respects. 

3.  Draft at least 1 day one starter. 

9 minutes ago, Lef said:

My idealistic hopes about oline:

1.  Change of blocking scheme bodes well for some of our current talent turning one or more of our under performers into highly productive. 

2.  Joe Philbin brought in to, and does, coach up our oline causing significant improvement in all respects. 

3.  Draft at least 1 day one starter. 

That's where i think our biggest improvements will come...Philbin and ZBS

A.C.  Mewhort Kelly/Martin?  Thorton Good

I do like Goods upside, and I think playing time will only make him better.

We NEED a Center...IDC who..just not the ones we have.

Coaches seem to be ready to continue giving Thorton chances...they've said things on multiple occasions this offseason that make me believe that's their thinking. (though another draft pick here would be a darn good idea IMO)

14 hours ago, Gavin said:

LT-Castonzo

LG-Mewhort

C-Open competition between Holmes and draft pick...I think Holmes starts the season

RG-Thornton

RT-Reitz

This seems to be the most likely scenario.  Unless Good lives up to his name and wins the job.  I'm really hoping for either Kelly or Martin to be on the team. 

I don't think the O line is as bad as everyone keeps saying.  Obviously we were horrible at center and need improvement on the right side.

Let's keep in mind that the Cowboys have arguably the best O line in the game.  That didn't stop Romo from breaking his collarbone twice, nor did it help them with a running game.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

This seems to be the most likely scenario.  Unless Good lives up to his name and wins the job.  I'm really hoping for either Kelly or Martin to be on the team. 

I don't think the O line is as bad as everyone keeps saying.  Obviously we were horrible at center and need improvement on the right side.

Let's keep in mind that the Cowboys have arguably the best O line in the game.  That didn't stop Romo from breaking his collarbone twice, nor did it help them with a running game.

I agree.  The only thing that I'd add is that Martin seems to be the man in the 2nd round (Kelly won't be there in round 2 and isn't worth the #18 selection).  And he'd be my starter on Day 1 of the OTAs. 

14 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I would really like this long term. I`m would expect Westerman to be behind Thornton and also working on his game as the backup center. For awhile anyway. :thmup:

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I have read numerous reports on him that he has played every position on the OL.  More than one categorize his pro position as G or C.  It sounds like he can play anywhere and his versatility would be a huge plus. 

Sure he has but play him at his best position that's guard

LT- Castanzo

LG- Mewhort

C-Draft Martin in the 3rd if still their or Bohem and or Allen in the 4th

RG- Draft Ifedi in the 2nd versatile player can play guard or Rt

RT- Good

Use Reitz as a back up 

Also their is Dahl and Westerman who are  guards and can go in the 3rd

Still think colts will draft Defense in the first

What I would like to see if 

Lt- constanzo

Lg- mewhort 

C- 2nd round draft pick 

Rg-Thornton 

Rt-Goode 

Swing tackle reitz 

I don't really want to see both holmes and Johnathan on the team , but new system might suit Holmes strengths

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Point taken re: Romo's injuries etc.... But it didnt help their running game?!.... Really?!

Demarco Murray stunk it up in Phili with the Eagles and their mediocre line, but led the league in rushing yards when he was with the Cowboys.

Last year the Cowboys had the 9th ranked rushing yards per game with a mixture of Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar.... You think we wouldve had the 9th ranked rushing yards per game with those RB's?

1 hour ago, Archangel said:

LT- Castanzo

LG- Mewhort

C-Draft Martin in the 3rd if still their or Bohem and or Allen in the 4th

RG- Draft Ifedi in the 2nd versatile player can play guard or Rt

RT- Good

Use Reitz as a back up 

Also their is Dahl and Westerman who are  guards and can go in the 3rd

Still think colts will draft Defense in the first

Just now, Chucklez said:

Point taken re: Romo's injuries etc.... But it didnt help their running game?!.... Really?!

Darren McFadden stunk it up in Phili with the Eagles and their mediocre line, but led the league in rushing yards when he was with the Cowboys.

Last year the Cowboys had the 9th ranked rushing yards per game with a mixture of Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar.... You think we wouldve had the 9th ranked rushing yards per game with those RB's?

Demarco Murray. Not Mcfadden

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Demarco Murray stunk it up in Phili with the Eagles and their mediocre line, but led the league in rushing yards when he was with the Cowboys.

The Cowboys also had about 500 less rushing yards in 15 than they did in 14. 

But the main point is that they won 4 games last year - with the best O line in the league.  Mainly because their QB was injured.  So having a great O line is nice.  It just doesn't guarantee QB health or wins.

1 minute ago, get an 0-line said:

cant see a draft pick starting on the o-line. it would be a rare thing for a draft pick to start, most are projects and some never develop. trade our pick for a young proven player

Who did we draft in 2011?

But your point is well taken.