Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reaching out to Joe Philbin

Devildog

3 hours ago, krunk said:

ZBS is probably the best way to go any way when you look at what's happening on the college level with all the zone read/zone blocking type of stuff.  You'll probably have a better chance to get quality linemen for your scheme vs running the power stuff.

Isn't a ZBS what made Alred Morris a star in Washington? And then when Gruden came his production dipped. ZBS seems highly effective for teams who want a true running game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Isn't a ZBS what made Alred Morris a star in Washington? And then when Gruden came his production dipped. ZBS seems highly effective for teams who want a true running game.

More to do with how Shanahan ran the scheme than the scheme itself. Shanahan could turn me or you into 1,000 yard runningback. 

Here's a good article on it btw: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700461-how-does-mike-shanahan-always-churn-out-rb-success

4 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

I'll take a guy with experience, sure.  What a demotion though!  From HC to line coach?!?:dunno:

It's only about a 4 million per year pay reduction.  Over the course of his career, he has made multi-millions.  He will now have to cancel his newspaper subscription, cancel his subscription to Forbes, & dial down his weekly grocery spending.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

More to do with how Shanahan ran the scheme than the scheme itself. Shanahan could turn me or you into 1,000 yard runningback. 

Here's a good article on it btw: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700461-how-does-mike-shanahan-always-churn-out-rb-success

Yep. Z.one B.locking S.chemes depend on footwork & the synchronization of the OL. Being quick off the line is key, obviously. Instead of relying on gapped holes by man, (Old Steel Curtain techniques) this type of quick movement zoned blocking creates multiple venues for the back to choose from if performed correctly.

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Man, i remember just a few years ago when everyone wanted man-blocking

Up until a couple years ago, I've been indifferent. Pros and cons to each, and every offense has concepts from both schemes. But from a team building standpoint, ZBS is becoming more and more favorable. Those players are easier to find and they're more interchangeable by position. Colleges are mostly ZBS, and developing young OL for a MBS has gotten more and more difficult with the practice restrictions of the new CBA. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Completely different offense for Philbin. He's a WCO guy.

True.  I'm not saying it will happen or that it's even something the Colts are thinking about when they reach out to him.  But it's something interesting to think about.  Luck has plenty of experience in the WCO.  And Philbin could even take out some things from Chud's offense that he or Andrew are comfortable with to install in his offense, should be become OC.  Again, nothing concrete to think about here.  Just hypotheticals

1 hour ago, ColtRider said:

Yes. The Colts ran the stretch/outside version of the ZBS with Edgerrin. Faulk? Dunno, off the top of my head. Anyone remember?

The positive thing is that gore has that ability to cut back and the vision to see the cutback lane  we just need a home run hitter if we're gonna go that route though. But we were a better run team in zone  even addai had some good seasons before injured and a switch of the concept ruined his career 

Any new developments? I hate getting rumors and then nothing happening. If the Colts trot back who they had at OL coach they deserve what they get. Their OL was atrocious as we all know, and new OL minded coaches should be brought in. It's really the only option to start in the right direction of improving this OL.

Philbin in my opinion would be a good option since he had very good success with the Packers offense during his time there. Not to mention he has extensive OL coaching experience.

7 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Love the fact that he has alot of experience on the offensive side of the ball and has ran some really good offenses, but his O-lines have been very bad so i have mixed feelings about it. On the bright side he cant be any worse than what we have now though.

Oh yes he can...

Why hire a loser?  I don't get these bad hires. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two problems with Callahan.

One, I suspect he's under contract and we're not offering a promotion.

Two,  I think he's the highest paid o-line coach in the NFL.     I'm not sure Irsay wants to get into a bidding war for him if he had to.

The first one is bigger because they could just say no to an interview request for the same job.

to the later I think Irsay has made it clear he will spend money for anyone if he's "the guy" that's best for the team.

49 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The first one is bigger because they could just say no to an interview request for the same job.

to the later I think Irsay has made it clear he will spend money for anyone if he's "the guy" that's best for the team.

GC....

As I'm sure you know....

Saying something and actually doing something are often two very different things.

I'll believe it when I see it.      Call me skeptical.     Talk is cheap.     Action can be expensive.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

GC....

As I'm sure you know....

Saying something and actually doing something are often two very different things.

I'll believe it when I see it.      Call me skeptical.     Talk is cheap.     Action can be expensive.

Irsay has proven it time and time again.  He's always shelled out the cash for someone if he thought it was best.  

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Oh yes he can...

Philbin has been very well thought of as an assistant coach/coordinator.

He only failed at being a Head Coach.

That's not any different than lots of coaches who are very good assistants/coordinators and not very good HC's.

That's a common story.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Philbin has been very well thought of as an assistant coach/coordinator.

He only failed at being a Head Coach.

That's not any different than lots of coaches who are very good assistants/coordinators and not very good HC's.

That's a common story.....

Not only that he failed as a Head Coach of a team that every Head Coach has failed at since Don Shula or maybe Jimmy Johnson except for a year here or there. 

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Oh yes he can...

You understand the o line coach doesn't design the gameplans right?   His ineffectiveness as a head coach has nothing to do with his ability as a position coach

I have followed Philbin since he came to Iowa in the 90s . VG line coach and did a good job at GB. was very surprised when he got the HC job in Miami. Just doesn't have the personality for a head coach in my estimation. Not a very outgoing personality that I feel it takes to be a head coach in this league. I  think he would be very happy to just being a OL coach and think he could be a very good hire.

By the way Callahan was a HC and I don't feel he was good at all.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Judging from that Miami line I feel kinda funny.  I think Andrew just passed out!

I heard Philbin had very little personnel control in Miami though so I'm trying to consider the outside factors that played into the situation.  Both in Green Bay and Miami.  I'm trying to keep an open mind here.  I know he used to be the OL coach in Green Bay for a while so he's got some experience I'll say that.

I'm with ya krunk. I hate this idea to my core. Phil-bin? Seriously? Tannehill's o-line was horrible & Joe had no control of the men in the locker room under his command in Miami at all, which means he is incapable of motivating men or helping them gel as a unit. An epic disaster IMO. Hades no. 

Darn it, I wanted a qualified candidate from either the Bengals staff or the Carolina staff. This news makes me wanna hurl. I'm disgusted at the prospect of hiring Joe in any INDY position of authority. 

Phil-bin is no line wizard & nor was he in GB. And anybody who claims he was is simply crazy. Man, I deplore this potential hire with every fiber of my body. 

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You understand the o line coach doesn't design the gameplans right?   His ineffectiveness as a head coach has nothing to do with his ability as a position coach

You do understand that Tannehill's sacks under Phil-bin were nothing to brag about right? I know the Packers franchise well living in WI Jvan. Hiring Phil-bin is like jumping off a cliff to solve a person's fear of heights.  

It's not that I'm opposed to giving a former coordinator & HC a 2nd chance, it's just that Joe Phil-bin isn't the guy to fix our line in my humble opinion. Dig deeper Pagano & keep searching thank you. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'm with ya krunk. I hate this idea to my core. Phil-bin? Seriously? Tannehill's o-line was horrible & Joe had no control of the men in the locker room under his command in Miami at all, which means he is incapable of motivating men or helping them gel as a unit. An epic disaster IMO. Hades no. 

Darn it, I wanted a qualified candidate from either the Bengals staff or the Carolina staff. This news makes me wanna hurl. I'm disgusted at the prospect of hiring Joe in any INDY position of authority. 

Phil-bin is no line wizard & nor was he in GB. And anybody who claims he was is simply crazy. Man, I deplore this potential hire with every fiber of my body. 

Well we haven't hired him yet SW1. I thought we were going to hire Foerster but he went down to Miami. As BrentMc11 pointed out i am not sure if Joe will accept stepping all the way down to OL coach from HC. He's got enough coordinator experience where somebody might call him for that.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Well we haven't hired him yet SW1. I thought we were going to hire Foerster but he went down to Miami. As BrentMc11 pointed out i am not sure if Joe will accept stepping all the way down to OL coach from HC. He's got enough coordinator experience where somebody might call him for that.

Good point a conversation isn't the same thing as signing the dotted line on a fresh new contract. If it's just a feeler designed to kick over all possible stones, that's fine I guess. 

Thanks krunk. I needed cold water thrown in my face symbolically speaking & you're right, usually don't wanna take a job at the opposite end of the coaching spectrum. I was just never enamored with the guy personally, but like you said maybe Chuck's just making the rounds & covering all the bases. 

1 minute ago, YourNextGM said:

I don't get these people.  You can't look @ college football and just get a line coach? I'll take Bama,  FSU,  UCLA,  LSU, OSU,  Michigan,  Stanford and others line coaches any day. 

Organization is ran by dullards.  

and then you realize no NFL organization does this, and the last time one tried we got Pep Hamilton. You know why college O lines are dominant? Because the big schools just recruit the biggest, strongest kids, who are more than happy to play for a big time school and get their name on TV and guarantee NFL scouts watching them. They are men among boys, veritable college all star teams. The scheming you would do at that level with that talent gap is simply nowhere near the level of scheming you do in the NFL, where talent gap is rarely as big an issue.

Unless you WANT the Pep Hamilton of O line coaches. Then by all means go ahead.

1 hour ago, SkyBane said:

and then you realize no NFL organization does this, and the last time one tried we got Pep Hamilton. You know why college O lines are dominant? Because the big schools just recruit the biggest, strongest kids, who are more than happy to play for a big time school and get their name on TV and guarantee NFL scouts watching them. They are men among boys, veritable college all star teams. The scheming you would do at that level with that talent gap is simply nowhere near the level of scheming you do in the NFL, where talent gap is rarely as big an issue.

Unless you WANT the Pep Hamilton of O line coaches. Then by all means go ahead.

That makes zero sense.  Those teams I named run pro style offense w/ pro concepts.  Point is,  they're plenty of proven people that can coach the ol.  

17 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

That makes zero sense.  Those teams I named run pro style offense w/ pro concepts.  Point is,  they're plenty of proven people that can coach the ol.  

Does the difference between coaching college players and NFL players really need explaining to you?

6 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Something tells me a call to Joe Philbin is going to be one of the first calls Ben McAdoo makes as the new head coach of the Giants. I can see him bringing in Philbin as his OC. Both have a history together in Green Bay.

Nice call!  Being named Giants OC today.