Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Ravens LB coach Ted Monachino to be DC (Merge)

RockThatBlue

Just now, Superman said:

A head coach isn't typically judged on individual units on his team, even if that's his side of the ball. Being a coordinator is different from being a head coach, and some guys are good at one job, but bad at the other. In Pettine's case, he was a pretty good coordinator. 

Then Pagano gets a pass for the defense.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Cole signed a two year deal. 

They can re-sign Freeman prior to free agency, and then get rid of Jackson. But I doubt they release Jackson if they can't keep Freeman.

If Gore asks to be released, he'll have to agree to forgo his $3m guaranteed (assuming Spotrac is accurate). I doubt that happens.

Then I'd be shocked if Cole is brought back. 

Honestly, I think in perfect world Grigson would like to keep both Freeman and Jackson but like all things in the NFL it will probably come down to a money issue.  I agree with you that if they keep Freeman that makes Jackson more expendable and if they lose Freeman there is almost no chance they let Jackson go.

Could be but as another poster pointed out I do think Gore's age might very well play a factor in what happens with Gore.  I just go back to Gore after week 17 and he seemed like a guy who was just done with this situation.  Things could have really changed since then though, a little time away to cool down, Chuck staying, and $3 million might be enough to change anyone's mind. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Could be but as another poster pointed out I do think Gore's age might very well play a factor in what happens with Gore.  I just go back to Gore after week 17 and he seemed like a guy who was just done with this situation.  Things could have really changed since then though, a little time away to cool down, Chuck staying, and $3 million might be enough to change anyone's mind. 

I think Gore played fine. The narrative is that his hand/thumb injury affected his ball security; seems like an excuse for his fumbles, but it's reasonable. He's having surgery. My primary issue with him is the fumbles. He also dropped some passes, but our offense has the absolute worst timing on screen passes and dumpoffs, so I'm not sure I can judge Gore on that, either. He's never had a hands issue.

If the line and play calling were better, Gore would have had a strong season, IMO. I'm fine with bringing him back.

If he doesn't want to come back, fine. But he can't ask out and demand to get whatever guaranteed money is still on the contract. Has to agree to a buyout/settlement, and then he can have whatever he wants.

5 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

Then Pagano gets a pass for the defense.

Whatever you say. 

The point is that the head coach isn't running the defense. The coordinator is. If Pagano were fired, I'm sure he could get a job as a defensive coordinator again, despite how bad the Colts defense has been.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wish I could...

Guys like Larry Coyer are important though, they remind you it could always be worse because you could bring him back...

No doubt. Him, Caldwell, and Clyde were quite the trifecta. The more I reflect on those years, the more amazing 09 (and even 10) are...

20061216_073936_Lcoyer121706_200.jpg

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know. Maybe Grigson blocked a Manusky move previously -- no evidence to suggest that -- but Manusky was Pagano's guy, not Grigson's. The links are between Pagano and Manusky, and when hired in 2012, Pagano chose his coordinators himself, going after people he had worked with or coached against or had a link to.

So I don't think Manusky was Grigson's guy, whether the Grigson/Pagano stuff was true or not.

Maybe not Manusky specifically, but 5 position coaches is a lot. The only time you see that type of sweeping change is when there's a coaching change.

Like I said, some of them were probably performance based, but it brings some questions into light. And that's not even an attempt to stir up old drama. 

On another note though I hope his LB background means they'll give him some weapons to play with in the draft. I would feel really good about what he could do for a guy like Leonard Floyd who needs technique work. Or what he could do with some of the ILB prospects.

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Cole signed a one year deal I believe so I left him off because they don't have to release him.  They just don't have to re-sign him.  If I am wrong and he signed longer than a one year deal then yes I agree he'll be cut.

Jackson I think stays because he's been a really good run stopper for the team especially with Freeman as a free agent. 

As for Gore I am not ruling out Gore asking to be released. 

I doubt he'd do that.  I'm sure he wants to finish the business of playing a full season with Luck.  I can't see the Colts releasing him either because he's still producing pretty well and can easily be a good part of a RBBC.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Got alert on my phone

Harbaugh confirmed it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/685176531602259968

It is the time to have a Great Teacher.
We need to see if he can get something out of Werner and Newsome, and we will have several new guys coming Very soon on the outside and the inside.

50 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

True...however..Keith Butler was Pagano's original choice of DC, but he declined at the last minute.   They then settled on Manusky.  So, it's possible that Pagano wanted to replace Manusky later on but was denied by Grigson.  

It's also possible that Pagano just received authority to make changes to the offensive coaching staff, and he decided to go ahead and make changes on the defensive side as well, hoping to get guys that he really wanted rather than guys he had to settle for.  

It's also possible that Pagano had the authority to choose his staff all along, but didn't make any changes prior to year 4 because he was rolling with those coaches he had a huge hand in bringing in to begin with.  Now, upon getting an extension, it's very possible that through that process it was clear he needed to do something, so now he is making changes to shake things up, under the collaborative authority he always had.

He and Grigson are signed on for the next four years and it's likely they are collaborating on all of these changes that are now taking place, likely just like they did prior years when hiring coaches back in 2012 and Pep in 2013.

Regardless, it's moot and pointless to worry about how things were previous to this year.  Things are now as they are and through whatever process of collaboration they are currently working under, we should be looking forward in hoping it's a process of harmony and impending success.

Welcome aboard new coaches!  Go Colts! 

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

It's also possible that Pagano had the authority to choose his staff all along, but didn't make any changes prior to year 4 because he was rolling with those coaches he had a huge hand in bringing in to begin with.  Now, upon getting an extension, it's very possible that through that process it was clear he needed to do something, so now he is making changes to shake things up, under the collaborative authority he always had.

He and Grigson are signed on for the next four years and it's likely they are collaborating on all of these changes that are now taking place, likely just like they did prior years when hiring coaches back in 2012 and Pep in 2013.

Regardless, it's moot and pointless to worry about how things were previous to this year.  Things are now as they are and through whatever process of collaboration they are currently working under, we should be looking forward in hoping it's a process of harmony and impending success.

Welcome aboard new coaches!  Go Colts! 

That is also entirely possible.  I don't believe that to be what has happened, but it is entirely possible none the less.  

44 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then I'd be shocked if Cole is brought back. 

Honestly, I think in perfect world Grigson would like to keep both Freeman and Jackson but like all things in the NFL it will probably come down to a money issue.  I agree with you that if they keep Freeman that makes Jackson more expendable and if they lose Freeman there is almost no chance they let Jackson go.

I see your point but the ILB was bad against the pass. We need a very athletic inside guy that is versatile to cover and run stop

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

I see your point but the ILB was bad against the pass. We need a very athletic inside guy that is versatile to cover and run stop

Right which is why I can see them replacing one but I don't think they will replace both or keep both and bring in a guy who can play the pass on passing downs and be groomed to be Jackson's replacement in the next year or two.

19 minutes ago, bababooey said:

he's been a coach since 91 over almost every defensive position and has developed some great linebackers. if we didn't get him someone else would have.

yea, I agree, I'm doing research on the guy right now.  Take a look at this video.  He's knows his X's & O's, no doubt.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Inside-The-Game-With-Ted-Monachino/72374940-3e31-4232-ba2a-a45c9ea8c9fd?mobile-id=833922&media-type=V

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

I think Andre and Cole are definitely gone, Jackson and Werner are safer, but pretty confidend Gore is staying.

I think Gore was okay under the circumstances. I think it would have helped too if Luck played more (assuming his passing improved).

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the whole did Pagano have authority to hire his own staff thing is over blown.  Arians made it known it was Chuck who got him here when the bulk of the rest of the staff was hired.  It's more logical to assume that if Chuck got to hire the OC that year he got to hire the other coaches he wanted that year.

maybe something strange happened with Pep but I don't think that's true over the bulk of the coaching staff.

I think Pagano hired people originally and Grigson was able to manage staff and personnel to some extent.  I firmly believe Grigson tried to keep Luck comfortable and happy by hiring Pep and bringing in some of these Stanford guys (Fleener and Whalen in Particular).  I doubt that all of the defense guys from Stanford has anything to do with that part of the equation but Grigson must have some preference with the Stanford Cardinals because there is certainly a lot of them that has played on the Colts since we've drafted Luck. 

Same thing with Pagano though.  He has ties within Baltimore's organization.  I think it is a good thing if they're honest, hardworking, and reputable players or coaches that are brought in.  It definitely raises the trust factor and chemistry.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Seems he developed a few good LB's in Balt. other than Suggs...  Remember a guy named Pernell McPhee?  2011 5th rounder?  Turned out ok....  Paul Kruger, 2009 2nd rounder out of Utah..... 2011 Suggs was DPOY also.... seems great with LB'ers

McPhee is one of my favorites right now.  

Maybe we will actually have a pass rush with our new DC.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Maybe he can help us get some sort of return on Werner with his ability to develop linebackers

It would be kind of funny if suddenly Werner did come to life under this guy.........basically would take away one of the things Grigson screwed up on....if and this is a HUGE IF, Werner suddenly starts producing 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think Gore played fine. The narrative is that his hand/thumb injury affected his ball security; seems like an excuse for his fumbles, but it's reasonable. He's having surgery. My primary issue with him is the fumbles. He also dropped some passes, but our offense has the absolute worst timing on screen passes and dumpoffs, so I'm not sure I can judge Gore on that, either. He's never had a hands issue.

If the line and play calling were better, Gore would have had a strong season, IMO. I'm fine with bringing him back.

If he doesn't want to come back, fine. But he can't ask out and demand to get whatever guaranteed money is still on the contract. Has to agree to a buyout/settlement, and then he can have whatever he wants.

Gore was fine given our OL problems. Whoever is complaining or crying stop now! Draft a young guy, bring Gore back if he wants and let him start and mentor the new guy!