Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What does the 18th pick overall look like? [Merge]

NewColtsFan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Monday, January 04, 2016 at 0:06 PM, Narcosys said:

Which is crazy to me why the owner would want to do that.  The trade value in a top 10 pick can be worth more than the actual person you may get.  According to draft value charts, we could have gotten a first and a second round pick for a top 10 pick from any team picking at 15 or above.

Losing can become a habit.  You never want to tank games.  Besides, if we lost our last 2, what are the chances that Pagano would have been signed again?  We could be facing another complete rebuild again.

19 minutes ago, Pancake Block said:

Losing can become a habit.  You never want to tank games.  Besides, if we lost our last 2, what are the chances that Pagano would have been signed again?  We could be facing another complete rebuild again.

It would obviously have to come from Irsay himself.  

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, Narcosys said:

Not if the owner didn't want to.  That is what I don't get.  The owner knows we were practically out of the playoffs, given that the Texans were not going to lose to the jags, and the likelihood of 9 games going our way.  So why would he not be ok with getting a better draft pick, and communicating this to the coaching staff.  Rest our starters for half the game, give those that you need to evaluate more play time.  There were teams already doing that, it was mentioned in our game that Tenn was doing it.  So it is not unlikely that we could have done the same and ensure a better draft pick. 

How about integrity of the game?

Think about it.  If throwing the game is the right thing to do, wouldn't Miami and Tennessee be even more motivated to throw since they have even fewer wins then the Colts?   Should they just agree to award a loss to the winner of the pre-game coin flip and call it a day?  /sarcasm

and BTW, I think it would have been #11 and not #8 if Colts ended up 6-10.

1 hour ago, ponyboy said:

How about integrity of the game?

Think about it.  If throwing the game is the right thing to do, wouldn't Miami and Tennessee be even more motivated to throw since they have even fewer wins then the Colts?   Should they just agree to award a loss to the winner of the pre-game coin flip and call it a day?  /sarcasm

and BTW, I think it would have been #11 and not #8 if Colts ended up 6-10.

Nope,  did the math already.  A shot at 8th at best,  11th at worst.  That's if all teams lost and tied us.  

Grigson would have to be a * looking to get fired to draft a rb at #18. I can't believe some are seriously in favor of such a horrible move. Hopefully Grigson's desire for self preservation will prevent him from even entertaining the thought. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, Narcosys said:

Not if the owner didn't want to.  That is what I don't get.  The owner knows we were practically out of the playoffs, given that the Texans were not going to lose to the jags, and the likelihood of 9 games going our way.  So why would he not be ok with getting a better draft pick, and communicating this to the coaching staff.  Rest our starters for half the game, give those that you need to evaluate more play time.  There were teams already doing that, it was mentioned in our game that Tenn was doing it.  So it is not unlikely that we could have done the same and ensure a better draft pick. 

Tanking is for quitters. Even when Luck was on the line the Colts played to win. IMO losing on purpose cheats the fans who paid money to see the game.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Tanking is for quitters. Even when Luck was on the line the Colts played to win. IMO losing on purpose cheats the fans who paid money to see the game.

You payouts to see a game, winning is not part of that ticket purchase.  Again,  it's a meter is perspective.  I like to see the team benefit in the long run.  

15 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Jaylon Smith

We have to take him if he falls to us.  the dude is a top 3 talent in the draft.  I really enjoyed his play and attitude for Notre Dame.  I felt horrible for the kid when he got injured.  Hopefully his surgery and rehab go well.  I for one, think he will be an absolute steal at 18 (even if he sits out a year).

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We have to take him if he falls to us.  the dude is a top 3 talent in the draft.  I really enjoyed his play and attitude for Notre Dame.  I felt horrible for the kid when he got injured.  Hopefully his surgery and rehab go well.  I for one, think he will be an absolute steal at 18 (even if he sits out a year).

Same here. I hate it when people say that we shouldn't pick him because he might have to sit out his rookie year. Even if he does, we've got a stud for the next ten years.

7 hours ago, esmort said:

Grigson would have to be a * looking to get fired to draft a rb at #18. I can't believe some are seriously in favor of such a horrible move. Hopefully Grigson's desire for self preservation will prevent him from even entertaining the thought. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Rb in the first round? Lol umm no.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Same here. I hate it when people say that we shouldn't pick him because he might have to sit out his rookie year. Even if he does, we've got a stud for the next ten years.

And if for the next ten years we have similar talent at OL, that first round pick runs into defensive walls for his life as a Colt, and our franchise QB never reaches potential since he doesn't have enough time to throw.

All extremes, yes, but made to point out that you can't really enjoy driving a Ferrari if you have roadblocks coming out of your driveway.

If Elliott has that much of a higher rating than any OL or LB or edge rusher on the board then I would not be opposed to trading back for more picks.

7 hours ago, esmort said:

9 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Rb in the first round? Lol umm no.

First round draft in my eyes has to be one of the following 4 positions....

Center, Guard, pass rush, CB.... 

Anything else is unacceptable... draft BPA by all means, but make it the BPA from those positions....

35 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

And if for the next ten years we have similar talent at OL, that first round pick runs into defensive walls for his life as a Colt, and our franchise QB never reaches potential since he doesn't have enough time to throw.

All extremes, yes, but made to point out that you can't really enjoy driving a Ferrari if you have roadblocks coming out of your driveway.

If Elliott has that much of a higher rating than any OL or LB or edge rusher on the board then I would not be opposed to trading back for more picks.

My post post was about Jaylon Smith buddy. Completely agree with you on EE though:thmup:

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

You payouts to see a game, winning is not part of that ticket purchase.  Again,  it's a meter is perspective.  I like to see the team benefit in the long run.  

How many games have you shelled out money to watch them play? You pay for a season ticket? Do you have the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars in your budget to go to one game? Yes you are correct. It is a matter or perspective that the team you put you money into does their best and gives their best effort. Getting beat is one thing, quitting is something else.

Jaylon Smith, Leonard Floyd, or a lineman. Definitely not Ezekiel Elliott, I would be livid if we spent a 1st on a runningback that isn't the same caliber as Adrian peterson or another elite back. That should be the only time you take a back in the 1st, the line clears the way for the runningback and he takes what the line gives him, but a great back like A.P takes more than what they give him. I don't see elite in Elliott. I see luke kuechly in Jaylon Smith. And Leonard Floyd would be a great pick as well.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

How many games have you shelled out money to watch them play? You pay for a season ticket? Do you have the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars in your budget to go to one game? Yes you are correct. It is a matter or perspective that the team you put you money into does their best and gives their best effort. Getting beat is one thing, quitting is something else.

Well I've gone to quite a few games.  While I want them to win, I just enjoy going to different stadiums and enjoying watching a football game live.  It is a great family experience and one I enjoy taking my kids too.  It is just being there that I enjoy, winning a game is just a bonus.  I was at the Cowboys game last year when we got blown out.  I still had fun and enjoyed experiencing AT&T stadium.

This again, is something would have had to come from Irsay directly.  Benching your starters and giving other players more play time to evaluate them for next season is not that ridiculous.  Those guys are going to give it their all and would be a good measuring stick. 

Furthermore, I would like to apologize for my last post.  I use slide to text and it really does not help me with looking very coherent at all.  I post in a hurry and don't proofread.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Anything else is unacceptable... draft BPA by all means, but make it the BPA from those positions....

unless a stud LB like Reggie Ragland is available

Hard to guess exactly which way colts go.  Hopefully better idea after FA.  With many holes to fill prob a number of ways colts could go.  Starts in the trenched though, and hopefully after seeing the hardships of this year we draft 0-line unless addressed in FA with a G and or C.  With new DC as well already stating pass rush is a must I could see them addressing this need as well.  By the way New Member here and happy to join.

On 1/19/2016 at 0:21 PM, bzg44 said:

Have any of you guys tried out this site:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

It's a pretty fun way to see possibly which players will be on the board when the #18 pick rolls around.

My first round pick for the Colts at #18 is.......RB Ezekiel Elliott 

Also considered LB Reggie Ragland.

I'm new here so be gentle with the bashing.

I think at this point, anything other than an OLB, Offensive Lineman, CB, or Jaylon Smith would cause the forums to shut down from the fires.

On January 19, 2016 at 9:21 AM, bzg44 said:

Have any of you guys tried out this site:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

It's a pretty fun way to see possibly which players will be on the board when the #18 pick rolls around.

My first round pick for the Colts at #18 is.......RB Ezekiel Elliott 

Also considered LB Reggie Ragland.

I'm new here so be gentle with the bashing.

Welcome....   no bashing here....

As to the Fanspeak site...   it is very popular here...   it's typically talked about over on the draft/free agent page on this website.     Different from the Colts page and the NFL page.      Surf the menu page and you'll find it easily.

Here's a few words about the Fanspeak site...     First, it's fun and addictive.    Second,  while it's fun and it's addictive, the people who run this site are not all that good about knowing who is good and who is not....    The only time they get pretty decent is around April when there's more information out there...

But as for now and February and March...   the know the first round OK...  a little less so for each remaining round.      These are NOT NFL personnel experts.       In short,  don't read too much into these games....

They're fun,  but they're NOT predictive or realistic.    And the trades the offer to spice things up are typically nonsense.      Rarely close to reality.      As you learn the website,  you'll get a better feel for all this....

Welcome and enjoy....    hope you like the community as much as the rest of us!       :thmup:

On January 19, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Chucklez said:

I agree tho a guard (or two) may be good position to target in FA or later in draft.

pass rusher (OLB/DE) , CB, or center (if a stud is there) i'm ok with in the 1st. I'd love to see a playmaker on defense. I don't really care what position.  I'd just like to see on-field production.

i've gotta get more familiar with the top 100 or so players.

I hope we can get a difference maker at LB.  We need more size and speed there to make the front 7 work.  We got some smaller guys who can make lots of tackles but aren't so good at covering gaps or covering receivers.  I think OT with #1 wouldn't be good because we need help inside and guards usually don't go in the 1st.

On 1/19/2016 at 10:03 AM, Chucklez said:

there are no first round guards or centers this year, and its not a great class for pass rushers either.  corner could work but we cannot pigeon hole our selves into just that position.  middle or OLB would be fine, could also go OT and i think that will be the back up plan if the true elite players are all gone

wouldnt be shocked if we do take Elliot but that wouldnt be my pick.  it would keep him from the texans (and maybe get them to reach on a QB)

On January 4, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Narcosys said:

Which is crazy to me why the owner would want to do that.  The trade value in a top 10 pick can be worth more than the actual person you may get.  According to draft value charts, we could have gotten a first and a second round pick for a top 10 pick from any team picking at 15 or above.

For an owner to openly come out and give direction to the organization to LOSE would be an utter embarrassment.  Such would disgust me and I think it's the thinking of complete losers to even entertain the thought.  Have some bloody integrity for the game, ffs.