Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fixing the Colts (Offseason Plan) (Merged)

horseshoeblue22

Put yourself in Irsay's shoes, what's the best off-season plan you can come up with to fix this team? Here's mine:

Ditch Pagano and Grigson. Hire Mike Shanahan, and give him control of roster management working with a GM he gets along with. Ditch Andre Johnson, Greg Toler, Arthur Jones, Jonnathon Harrison, Trent Cole, Jerrell Freeman, Coby Fleener and Frank Gore.

In free agency, sign Doug Martin and Alfred Morris to revamp our rushing attack. Morris should come cheap, and he's experienced playing for Shanahan. Spend aggressively to find starters at C and RT, say Alex Mack and Russell Okung. We got Luck on the 5th year option, resign him if it clears cap space, anticipate using the franchise tag if it doesn't. Resign Dwayne Allen and promote Doyle to TE2. Spend any remaining dollars on DL depth.

This would allow us to focus exclusively on improving the defense through the draft...and switch to a 4-3 front. Pass rusher in the first round, OLB and CB in rounds two and three. Let Djoun Smith compete with the rookie for CB2 spot. Use late picks to add a kicker and another RB (Shanahan has a long history of getting good production out of late pick RBs) and pick up a veteran backup QB.

Then were looking at:

QB: Luck, Veteran

RB: Martin, Morris, Rookie

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Whalen

TE: Allen, Doyle

OL: Castonzo, Mewhort, Mack, Reitz, Okung -- Holmes, Thorton, Good

DE: Mathis, Rookie, Newsome

DT: Langford, Anderson, Parry

OLB: Walden, Rookie, Werner

MLB: Jackson, Irving, Moore

CB: Davis, Smith, Rookie, Butler

S: Adams, Geathers, Lowery

K: Rookie

P: McAfee

What do you think? Could you do better?

9 minutes ago, horseshoeblue22 said:

Put yourself in Irsay's shoes, what's the best off-season plan you can come up with to fix this team? Here's mine:

Ditch Pagano and Grigson. Hire Mike Shanahan, and give him control of roster management working with a GM he gets along with. Ditch Andre Johnson, Greg Toler, Arthur Jones, Jonnathon Harrison, Trent Cole, Jerrell Freeman, Coby Fleener and Frank Gore.

That's 10 Million of Dead Cap money... not insignificant. Though surprisingly much better than I'd expect. 

As long as we are not a cupcake team like we were this season i'll be happy.

It speaks VOLUMES that Reggie Wayne quit from the patriots because he said the team was all business and he wasn't having fun, it's not wonder New England has the success that it has.

Jim Harbaugh would be the PERFECT hire for this team, but I doubt it happens.

We literaly shoudn't start next seson without fixing the O-line first. Basically we almost in need at every position there, starting with C.

There some awesome players on D, still we need more. And if we draft another WR in upcoming draft, I'll stop following this team (kidding, but I'd be confused)

Shanahan...please no.IMO he has a major role in RGIII's being a bust.

29 minutes ago, horseshoeblue22 said:

In free agency, sign Doug Martin and Alfred Morris to revamp our rushing attack. Morris should come cheap, and he's experienced playing for Shanahan. Spend aggressively to find starters at C and RT, say Alex Mack and Russell Okung. We got Luck on the 5th year option, resign him if it clears cap space, anticipate using the franchise tag if it doesn't. Resign Dwayne Allen and promote Doyle to TE2. Spend any remaining dollars on DL depth.

This would allow us to focus exclusively on improving the defense through the draft...and switch to a 4-3 front. Pass rusher in the first round, OLB and CB in rounds two and three. Let Djoun Smith compete with the rookie for CB2 spot. Use late picks to add a kicker and another RB (Shanahan has a long history of getting good production out of late pick RBs) and pick up a veteran backup QB.

Then were looking at:

Why would you Keep Allen who hasnt had a healthy season since idk when and then scratch fleener?

Why would you sign Martin who will command a substantial dollar and he cant even stay on the field 

Why have two premier backs in Morris and Martin.

And im not even going to comment on  Shanahan, thank god you arent a GM

I'm leaving the coaching and GM decision to Irsay, assuming that there will be a new head coach and GM.

As for how to address the personnel: I would start by looking at players currently on the roster that are over 30 and decide if they will be able to produce for us next year. Grigson has signed many aging veterans without building solid depth behind them, which is a real problem going forward. It's not that Grigson didn't have the cap space or opportunity to sign younger players, he just opted not to, for the most part.

For example, Andre Johnson -- logically, it makes sense to assume that his production will decline even more as his body ages. Johnson should be released. (overall, I was okay with this signing because we actually do have depth and developing players at the receiver position).

Frank Gore -- I would hold onto him for one more year, but use him sparingly. Ideally, I would find another 'starting' Rb that would be the feature and future of the team.

Mike Adams -- He has played very well but unfortunately, we cannot expect or assume the same level of play moving forward. He was old to begin with and as he gets older, he will get slower and more injury prone. Older bodies do not heal as fast, leading to already hurt players getting hurt even more.

DQ -- He has played really well for us, but as mentioned above with Mike Adams, we have to expect a decline in his level of play and should look for a suitable replacement.

I would definitely focus on the O-line, looking for improvement at C, RG, and RT. This would be a priority with the goal being to have the best O-line in the league. That should always be the goal.

I would look for a replacement for Greg Toler. He hasn't played well enough to merit a re-signing. I would look through FA and also look to draft a CB.

Pass Rush - I would part ways with Cole, Mathis, and Werner and look to add players through FA and the draft. Grigson could have gone after younger players instead of an old and declining Cole, but wasted the opportunity, which created another hole to be filled just a year later. It was a wasted opportunity and a waste of money.

Lastly, aside from the O-line and adding 1 RB, I would leave the offense alone and intact. This includes re-signing the TEs. There's no sense in having a position of strength and not retaining them, only to create another hole to fill.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

That's 10 Million of Dead Cap money... not insignificant. Though surprisingly much better than I'd expect. 

We gotta stop worrying about dead cap. It's not that big of an issue, and there's almost always net savings. Dead cap is only an accounting of money that's already been paid, and it's going to hit the cap eventually. 

The only player with guaranteed money still to be paid is Andre Johnson. The question is whether we pay him his $2.5m and tell him 'it's been fun,' or do we try to restructure the rest of his 2016 salary, maybe incentivizing it. 

57 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'm leaving the coaching and GM decision to Irsay, assuming that there will be a new head coach and GM.

As for how to address the personnel: I would start by looking at players currently on the roster that are over 30 and decide if they will be able to produce for us next year. Grigson has signed many aging veterans without building solid depth behind them, which is a real problem going forward. It's not that Grigson didn't have the cap space or opportunity to sign younger players, he just opted not to, for the most part.

For example, Andre Johnson -- logically, it makes sense to assume that his production will decline even more as his body ages. Johnson should be released. (overall, I was okay with this signing because we actually do have depth and developing players at the receiver position).

Frank Gore -- I would hold onto him for one more year, but use him sparingly. Ideally, I would find another 'starting' Rb that would be the feature and future of the team.

Mike Adams -- He has played very well but unfortunately, we cannot expect or assume the same level of play moving forward. He was old to begin with and as he gets older, he will get slower and more injury prone. Older bodies do not heal as fast, leading to already hurt players getting hurt even more.

DQ -- He has played really well for us, but as mentioned above with Mike Adams, we have to expect a decline in his level of play and should look for a suitable replacement.

I would definitely focus on the O-line, looking for improvement at C, RG, and RT. This would be a priority with the goal being to have the best O-line in the league. That should always be the goal.

I would look for a replacement for Greg Toler. He hasn't played well enough to merit a re-signing. I would look through FA and also look to draft a CB.

Pass Rush - I would part ways with Cole, Mathis, and Werner and look to add players through FA and the draft. Grigson could have gone after younger players instead of an old and declining Cole, but wasted the opportunity, which created another hole to be filled just a year later. It was a wasted opportunity and a waste of money.

Lastly, aside from the O-line and adding 1 RB, I would leave the offense alone and intact. This includes re-signing the TEs. There's no sense in having a position of strength and not retaining them, only to create another hole to fill.

If we let go of everyone you mentioned we basically need to rebuild the team lol 

13 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

If we let go of everyone you mentioned we basically need to rebuild the team lol 

Yes, agreed.

That's the sad truth about the situation that Grigson has put this team in. I was a supporter of Grigson until this year. He completely lost sight of how to build a team. It usually entails young talented players (like Kendall Langford) sprinkled in with a few veteran additions (like Gore). Many of Grigson's additions this season were old veterans, which now have to be replaced, on top of players like Mathis, Vinatieri, Hasselbeck, and Adams who are now getting at the end of their careers.

Lots of flaws in this plan not even counting the coaching hire. I think this shows how hard it is to assemble the right team. Even if we force the players we want to sign with us to contracts we think are fair (which are what most offseason mocks look like on here), none of us could still build a contending team.

Sad to say, we have no noteworthy free agents coming up. There's the two TEs and Luck, and that's it. Pretty much the same situation we had four years ago, except we have a veteran QB that needs to be paid. The bad is that our roster isn't where it should be.

The good is that we'll still continue to have cap space. The TEs aren't worthy of big contracts. Luck will get his money, but we'll still be at least $30m under the cap in 2016. IMO, we have to add an OL and a pass rusher. I'd also like Derek Wolfe or Malik Jackson.

4 hours ago, horseshoeblue22 said:

Then were looking at:

Ideally I would either just ditch Grigson or if I was to fire Pagano, I would hire Wade Phillips.

I would cut Frank Gore, Trent Cole, Andre Johnson and Dqwell Jackson (resulting in us having $42 million next year.)

Try to resign Fleener and Allen to similar contracts.

In FA, if they hit the market I would go after: Von Miller, Eric Berry, Mo Wilkerson, Stefan Wisniewski, Kelvin Beachum (prove it deal) and a RB like Lamar Miller.

In the Draft I would hope Jaylon Smith was there by our pick in the 1st and Desmond King in the second.

RB: Miller, Herron, Rookie

TE: Allen,Fleener, Doyle

OL: Castonzo, Mewhort, Wisniewski, Reitz, Beachum -- Holmes, Thorton, Good

DE: Anderson, Wilkerson, Langford, 

DT: Parry, Rookie

OLB: Mathis, Miller, Newsome Walden, Rookie, Werner

MLB: Smith, Irving, Moore

CB: Davis, King, Smith, Butler

S: Berry, Geathers, Lowery

First of all get rid of our coaching staff. Teach the ol to both pass block and run block properly. why the coaching staff? The last few games seems like the players are not on the same pages with the coach staff. The coaches have lost the players and that is always a bad sign. I know key injuries have happened to the Colts but to go into the second half of a game with the lead or very close in the score and in the last 4 games only score 3 pts. that tells me that the coaching staff has lost the players and more importantly can't make any adjustments.

We really only had a good 4 - 5 year window to win a SB before Luck was paid mega bucks.  It's going to be very difficult to get this team right with paying Luck.  It doesn't matter how good your QB is if he is surrounded by declining personnel.  There are quite a few aging/declining players on this team and virtually no young talent behind those aging/declining players to take their places.  Even Vontae has taken a step back this season and his best years are probably behind him now.  

Finally a topic we can all sink our teeth into...

Gone for sure: Fleener, Johnson, Toler, Werner, Cole and most likely Irving

It will be really hard to lure Mack and Okung to the team, One maybe both both are unrealistic. We do need a huge upgrade in Center, Guard and Right Tackle (Reitz may be a good candidate for RG)

Receivers: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Whalen and Bray (fumbling can be coached away for Griff)

Do not move to the 4-3 as it would put us in a major rebuild 

Langford, Parry and Anderson are developing into a beast, its the linebacker and gap play that is killing us as well as the inability to cover a back on screens and dumpoffs 

Other than Walden and Mathis I really don't know who we should keep going forward and Mathis is about done. Jackson is slowing and Freeman can be replaced in the draft

DB's Adams, Lowery, Davis and (Smith or FA or Rookie)  Adams has 2 more good years left based upon his high level play this season.

19 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

We really only had a good 4 - 5 year window to win a SB before Luck was paid mega bucks.  It's going to be very difficult to get this team right with paying Luck.  It doesn't matter how good your QB is if he is surrounded by declining personnel.  There are quite a few aging/declining players on this team and virtually no young talent behind those aging/declining players to take their places.  Even Vontae has taken a step back this season and his best years are probably behind him now.  

Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, packers all pay there QB's handsomely and seem to do fine.

Vontae is 27 lol

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

As long as we are not a cupcake team like we were this season i'll be happy.

It speaks VOLUMES that Reggie Wayne quit from the patriots because he said the team was all business and he wasn't having fun, it's not wonder New England has the success that it has.

Jim Harbaugh would be the PERFECT hire for this team, but I doubt it happens.

I really don't think Harbaugh would be a great hire.  He did well in SF, until NFL teams started to figure out how to play Kaepernick and his system, then he faltered and it seemed like he * everyone (players, assistants, front office) off on his way out.

28 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Vontae, IMO, hasn't taken a step back -- he has little help and has a terrible pass rush.  It is very hard to cover on an island when there is no pressure being applied to the QB (we are 28th overall in sacks in the NFL this year, which is pretty terrible).  Vontae also plays with inconsistent CBs beside him (generally, if CBs in our secondary are going to get safety help, Vontae won't be the one getting the help).  Adding an improved #2 CB and a pass rush would help Vontae tremendously (adding a pass rush alone will help the entire secondary).

So yea, Vontae might have allowed more completions and been flagged more this year, but his playing darn good ball given his circumstance.

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I have no problem with Andre Johnson being gone, Toler is a FA anyway, Trent Cole definitely, what a waste of 7M, and Frank Gore. Those three cuts give us over 16M more in cap space and we only have 2.5 in dead money. I don't think getting rid of Jones is worth it. If he can stay healthy, I know a big if, but he costs more in dead money than we would save. Coby I would keep, just need the right coach. Harrison and Freeman, I can go either way, but I think one of the problems we had this year was chemistry. Every FA Grigson brought in was a Bust. That would give us 44M in cap space for next year, plenty to sign Andrew, and if we want Fleener and Allen, great, since they won't be nearly as much to sign after this year, and we can look at some quality OL, and then hit defense hard in the draft. Since Andrew is ruled out next week, there is no reason for him to play again this season. If we finish with 6 wins, it will put us right around the 10 spot. My first pick would be Jaylon Smith to build around, and my second choice would be not to hire Mike Shanahan!

Cut Andre Johnson, Trent Cole, and Art Jones.

Re-Sign Luck and Fleener

Sign in Free Agency Von Miller, Janorris Jenkins, and Junior Galette (1year deal)

Draft (first 5 rounds)

1) Jaylon Smith ILB

2) Nick Martin Center

3) Spencer Drango OG

3) CJ Prosise RB (We trade back into 3rd round) Prosise is getting overlooked but he can be a stud IMO.

5) Lloyd Carrington CB/possibly FS convert.

I honestly can't say how I would fix this mess.  I can't plug in specific names until I become more familiar with who is available.  But generally speaking here are my thoughts...

We need to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball...O line should be the focus and Dline depth should also be a priority.   On offense, O line would be my top priority in free agency.  I would look to add a high quality center and/or guard.  We will probably need to bring in another veteran receiver to fill the Wayne/A. Johnson spot that has not produced for the past couple of seasons preferably with someone who can actually still contribute to the offense.  Colts need to go younger on the veteran route and steer clear of guys in decline.  I'd prefer a lesser known but steady type to a big name declining type of vet receiver.  I'd keep Gore at Running Back but relegate him to more of a backup role and try to find another younger veteran runner to split carries with him.   I'd consider using a mid-round draft pick on a rookie back.   I'm not as keen on retaining Fleener and Allen as some seem are.  They are a far cry from the Dilger/Pollard type combo that we hoped for when drafted them.  They are mediocre really and seeing either or both leave would not be such a big blow in my opinion.  I actually like Jack Doyle and we could probably find another serviceable TE in free agency or draft if need be.  The Colts under utilize their TE's in the passing game anyway.  Some of that is because they have to block more to compensate for our O Line issues.  If that's the case then we should go for TE's with more of an orientation for pass and run blocking. 

On defense, acquiring a bonafide pass rusher is a must.  Probably would use a high draft pick here.  Depth is needed along the line.  I like Parra and Anderson in the middle hopefully Henry comes back strong after his injury.  Our linebackers are too old and consists of a first round bust in Werner.  Need to ditch Werner and jettison some of these old guys like Coles, Mathis, etc. and try to infuse some younger talent here. This may take a couple of offseasons to re-work.  I love Mike Adams and would keep him as a backup but would try to find a younger upgrade at the position.  I'd stick with Geathers at Strong Safety.  At corner we need a decent number two to go with Vontae.   Cut ties with Toler for obvious reasons and try to find an upgrade in free agency.  More draft talent is needed to push Butler or Smith for nickle and dime slots.  

My draft priority by position would be:

1st Round - Best Pass Rusher (Available)

2nd Round - Offensive Line

3rd Round - Safety

4th Round - Linebacker (if LB taken in first then Defensive Lineman)

5th Round - Corner

6th Round - Running Back

7th Round -  Depth pick at either Offensive Line, D Line, or Strong Safety

If I'm Irsay, I'm cleaning house by getting rid of Griggson and Pagano.  As far as the head coaching possibilities out there right now, I'd be intrigued with Bill Cowher if he makes himself available.  I'm starting to warming up a little bit to the idea of Nick Saban but still have some reservations regarding if he can be successful in the NFL.  I'd love John Harbaugh if the Ravens were stupid enough to fire him which I am not expecting to happen.  I don't  want Shanahan (jerk not a good coach imo), Gruden (one trick pony) or Sean Payton (Saints are a defenseless mess similar to the Colts).

I have no idea who I would hire as GM as I am not yet familiar with the candidates. But I am for a separate GM not a GM/coach hybrid preferably with an experienced candidate filling the role. 

If the season ended today.....

I would let Chuck Pagano and his staff go and keep Grigson. I don't think Grigs has done a bad job at all, and I have understood his thinking on most things he's done. But he does need to  re evaluate his strategy in free agency.

My short list for next coach would be:

David Shaw (Likely)

Sean Payton (Interesting)

Jim Harbaugh (Pipedream)

Bill Cowher (Longshot)

Sean McDermott (Dark Horse)

If we got any one of them I would be happy. Shaw really intrigues me, he has been apart of successful programs in the NFL and NCAA. At Stanford he's been pretty good. But he's also been apart of at least 3 division winning teams in his 6-7 years in the NFL. I know he was apart of the Raiders in the late 90's when they were pretty good and then with the Ravens in the early 2000's when they started winning regularly. His familiarity with Luck is also a plus. He just makes sense to me. And he's probably the most attainable on my list. No way he turns down a chance to coach Luck in the NFL to stay at Stanford. He's a younger guy,which I prefer as well. He's an offensive coach which I also like, And he has a wealth of experience at both levels. We could do a lot worse. People say Nick Saban but what has he ever done without a stacked football team? He is a front runner, IMO. Shaw hasn't had nearly the talent Saban has had and he has still been pretty successful. Given his familiarity and previous success with Luck, I think he is a much better fit.

I know that is probably an unpopular, boring choice but that is who I like and who I think it will ultimately be if Chuck does wind up getting fired.

As far as the roster............

I think with the way the game is played, having multiple deep threats like Moncrief, Dorsett and Hilton to go along with Luck, is probably the best thing this team has going for it right now. I also think that means the one thing you cannot be on defense is old and slow in an era of speed and tempo. So my strategy would be to adapt to the NFL game in philosophy and put less emphasis on experience, and more on athleticism and speed. 

Lets look at the team and what they need.

Frank Gore isn't even gonna make it to 1000 yards after a pretty good start. Our running game is still very pedestrian. We can't run it consistently, but even more troubling is that we can't run it when we need to. Our OL still needs some work, and probably a new OL coach. C-RG-RT are all pretty weak. I would consider moving Mewhort to C. Luck and the entire OL need stability at that position more than any other and he is our most reliable lineman. The line needs its Jeff Saturday to be the anchor inside. We need an answer there more than anywhere else on the line. We also could use a young back to take wear and tear off of Frank next year because he has worn down quickly. Luck also needs to be working with the same guy instead of the carousel he has been subject to in his career. He's had like 5-6 centers with all the injuries we've had there. Satele, McGlynn, Shipley, Harrison, Holmes.....I feel like I'm forgetting somebody. But that is ridiculous.

Our LB and S are old and slow. There are a lot of smart players there, descent players, but we have too many with the same afflictions and it exposes us far too often. I like Mike Adams, Jerrell Freeman, Robert Mathis, DQ and Erik Walden, but at least 4 of them have got to go in favor of younger, more athletic players. I am for keeping DQ, he's clearly the best of the group and isn't a dinosaur yet, plus he provides leadership in an important spot. 

We are just too slow on the back end of the defense. That's why we look great against the run most of the time, and then get busted for a couple long ones late. That's why we can't generate consistent pass rush. It's why the short passing game always kills us. These guys are smart and tough enough, but when they make a mistake, it is a big one because we don't have the speed and athleticism to cover it up. Mike Adams, for example, I like a lot as a player. He can help a lot of teams out there. But with us, he is nothing more than another potential match up issue, even though he has been our biggest playmaker. Good player. But when your LB's can't cover very well, a safety with average speed, size and athleticism is just another weakness, IMO. I'm hopeful that Clayton Geathers gets a chance to start next  year.

I like the D-line a lot with the additions of Henry Anderson and Langford, they need a few more tall, lanky lineman like them. I also like Billy Winn quite a bit. They could still use a NT for sure, IMO. Parry is a good player but he got a little too much hype and his play has tailed off. I like him better as a rotation guy. I think this might be where Art Jones could fit. It doesn't make any sense to cut him because he is our best lineman and we need him. He could fit nicely as a NT if we play more 1GAP, IMO. He's a very good player when healthy, I think the board has under rated him due to his health issues. I say give him another year, as a NT, and see if he can stay healthy. If not, you can still cut him with an injury settlement and move on. We still would have Parry and Kerr who are both serviceable at a spot where that is all you really need. 

Next year, We could have a lot of cap space if we move on from a big chunk of these veterans. And I think we should use it to bring in two young prime free agents on defense. And I'm talking about guys like TrumaineJohnsonIrvin, Vernon, Miller, Gipson, etc. And then I would use the draft to address the OL. I really like Dan Voltz from Wisconsin. I also like Jack Conklin from Michigan State.Try to build a young solid OL that can grow together over the years. I would also target Yannick Ngakoue from Maryland early on. Later picks would be athletic LB's and Safeties for special teams and depth.

I think one guy that could be big for us next year is Sio Moore. He was put in a tough spot this year but having an entire off season of OTA's and time to get comfortable in the system could be a big plus for him and for us as well. He has some talent and fits the mold I am hoping for.

The bolded names are just additions I wouldn't mind seeing. Please don't tell me they suck, it's just guys I like, I'm no draft guru fellas. Those are positions I would like to see addressed or targeted. Thats all folks. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

We gotta stop worrying about dead cap. It's not that big of an issue, and there's almost always net savings. Dead cap is only an accounting of money that's already been paid, and it's going to hit the cap eventually. 

The only player with guaranteed money still to be paid is Andre Johnson. The question is whether we pay him his $2.5m and tell him 'it's been fun,' or do we try to restructure the rest of his 2016 salary, maybe incentivizing it. 

Understood, and Dead cap is part of the price of doing business, I was actually more surprised at how little there was. For all his faults Grigson has at least on the whole avoided millstone contracts. 

As for AJ, I can't see any reason to bring him back based on performance. He never ever really looked on the same page as Luck and especially didn't with MH.  

One thing has me puzzled this year: With all of the "friendly fire"  that happened in games, was the problem a matter of talent, health, coaching, scheme or execution? You could probably make a case for all aspects being a partial cause of this disaster. 

Talent - We only have 53 spots on the roster. There is no pass rush to speak of. The draft and FA can provide some added talent there. Get rid of the liabilities. Our O-line has improved, but we need another started or two. Build the kind of O-line Peyton had. Our secondary needs another play maker. It has been woeful at times, missing assignments. Maybe the answer is on the roster now, maybe not.

Health - 10 guys on IR....ouch! This year has revealed just how important depth is to the success of a NFL team. Starters are starters for a reason. There has definitely been a drop-off with "next man up".

Coaching - Where do we start? The failed punt against NE? Consistent inconsistency? Looking "flat" for some games? Near the top of the league in penalties and turnovers?

Scheme -  Getting away from the run too soon in some games. Lack of utilization of tight ends and creative game plans? Generating a pass rush via the blitz. 

Execution - Luck has has a bad year. I was at the Panthers game and saw him look awful in the first have and late in the game, miss a wide open Allen, (which I believe would have won us the game). Just one example of how the ineptitude of the offense and bad QB play has put more pressure on the D than normal.  Missed communication between QBs and receivers. Receivers not getting open, dropped passes, bad technique.

I'm not smart enough to know how you fix this, but imagine a team where Luck has time and matures as a QB into what we think he could be. Imagine a run game is near the top if the league in yards per carry. Imagine a defense that puts pressure on opposing QBs, stifles the run consistently and gets off the field on the 3rd down. Special teams that compliment the level of the kickers we have, both in return average offensively and defensively.

All this is possible and exactly what we envisioned in the Spring. Can it be done with Pagano and Grigson? Opinions differ and either way, we'll find out what Irsay is going to do. 

Unfortunately, unless a miracle happens, we will have to wait until next year.