Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whalen VS AJ

csmopar

I don't think it is either or. Whalen and Johnson can have a role, but Johnson just needs to catch the ball. Too many drops and too many times he simply disappears.  I agree with Throwing BBZ that Johnson does a great job of blocking and really puts himself into the run blocking, something no other receiver seems to be really good at.

Whalen as a third-down or passing situation or slot receiver sounds good to me. If you look around the league, there are some really good ones that can be deadly to a D. He doesn't have to be the fastest, biggest, or strongest guy out there, he just has to catch the ball, be aware of where the 1st down marker is and keep drives alive. He does that, I really don't care what we think of his talent level or athletic ability

I said the same thing in the game day thread. Johnson is wasted money, and another swing and miss by our GM.

And it's not like this is just a breakout performance. He was clutch in 2013 for that stretch where Hilton and Wayne were out. Same thing back then. Sure hands, and like Luck said: " Just makes * plays ".

One of Grigson's faults is that he reaches in FA instead of letting young guys develop. Once again we have another young player out playing a proven vet. Stuff like this is what makes me buy into the idea that Grigs messes with the lineup. Dorsett and Whalen have outplayed AJ, why is he still starting?

Out here on the West Coast,  we had the Pitts-Oak game first.    And that game went way, WAY long.    

So,  the broadcast of the Colts-Denver game didn't come on until most of the 1st quarter was over.     So, I missed a fair amount.

Here's my question?

Did AJ play yesterday,  or was he a healthy scratch?

I'm not sure I saw him on the field or heard his name even mentioned?

Did Griff replace AJ and play the rest of the way? 

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks for the 411.............

We should've just kept Wayne

It is not too late.  Look at how great Bradshaw is fitting back in!  I've shouted about both Bradshaw and Reggie since Pre-Season. They finally pulled the trigger on Reggie.  I think it is time to bring him back to finish out the season and win another Super Bowl. We've got injuries all over the place.. not sure who can begin to fill the void from Anderson... but if a spot is open bring Reggie in and see what he has.  He could be the possession receiver while we get Moncrief outside instead of Johnson.  

I tend to watch game replays in slo mo.  When I see that ball coming into an open receiver, I'm hoping it's Whalen.  If it's AJ or even TY, much next thought (fear) is don't drop it!  If I see it's Whalen, I have no doubts it will be caught!   :applause:

It's dumb to have this guy vs. that guy convo. Both guys provide different skill sets. Both deserve to continue to see the field and can help this team win. Each game will provide dictate how productive the other is but there shouldn't be pre-determined decisions. Keep the rotation going

Out here on the West Coast,  we had the Pitts-Oak game first.    And that game went way, WAY long.    

So,  the broadcast of the Colts-Denver game didn't come on until most of the 1st quarter was over.     So, I missed a fair amount.

Here's my question?

Did AJ play yesterday,  or was he a healthy scratch?

I'm not sure I saw him on the field or heard his name even mentioned?

Did Griff replace AJ and play the rest of the way? 

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks for the 411.............

AJ was out there, but Whalen got more snaps than in Carolina. 

As a WR:

Whalen > AJ

Whalen > Nicks

I wish he wasn't held back so much the past two years.

He had his shot when Reggie went down, but we didn't have the depth we do now. Edelman was never the guy for the pats, heck Cleveland didn't even wanna pay him that much so he came crawling back to NE for a team friendly deal and is now one of the best players in the NFL. Would be nice if Whalen develops into that.

I know many people here think Whalen is nothing special. Just a normal guy. A bottom feeder. Not a great player. Doesn't deserve a spot on an active roster.

However, the past few games. He has been clutch. Going up the middle and catching everything. He's a tough kid and makes some nice grabs. Whalen should be put in more.

Yeah, in other words, doing what he's always done.