Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whalen VS AJ

csmopar

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Houston was right, AJ is gassed and his tank his dry.  7 targets, 0 catches again.  Including a beautiful, perfect throw right into his hands.  I'm thinking they need to bench Andre and release him at the end of the season...

Thoughts?

I liked the AJ signing, I had a bad feeling between him and Gore he wasn't going to pan out.  However, I think Moncrief, Hilton, Whalen, and Dorsett would work awesome. I like Whalen playing an Austin Collie role, sure handed, crucial 3rd down catches. Maybe Lucks new third down go to guy? :) 

I know many people here think Whalen is nothing special. Just a normal guy. A bottom feeder. Not a great player. Doesn't deserve a spot on an active roster.

However, the past few games. He has been clutch. Going up the middle and catching everything. He's a tough kid and makes some nice grabs. Whalen should be put in more.

Whalen is balling right now I have to be honest.  I still think AJ should be a part of the rotation and let's not forget he had some nice catches and a TD against Carolina.  Should he get more playing time than Whalen or Dorsett is the question?  It's starting to get away from him some though.  I am not sure why he is dropping the football though.  That is something that has never been a part of his career.

Whalen the way I look at him when he is on the field plays much like a Reggie Wayne or even a Edleman type of wide receiver. Now I know it's only been two games but he has shown he is a great possession receiver. He can't really gain YAC or really have speed to get open. But if the ball comes his way he finds a way to snag it.

Need a 3rd down completion, throw it to Whalen. Man has great hands. He is a non athletically gift smaller white kid who has excellent routes and hands and that trumps an athletically gifted bad hands speedy player everyday of the year.

He is not a savior but he is consistent and that's what every successful team has.

Whalen has out played Andre so far this year.  That pass that Andre Dropped on 2nd down made me realize maybe Griff should be playing more.  Luck put that ball right where it needed to be and Andre kind of dove but still dropped it.  Other than the Texans game, Andre hasn't looked like the same player.  I hope he turns it around because I think he can still contribute, he just hasn't so far.

We should've just kept Wayne

Wayne's time has past.

Well it appears Andres has as well, & i'd almost guarantee Reggie'd have WAY better stats than AJ at this point in the season and giving Reggie a proper farewell season would have been a much better look overall, let alone his leadership couldve been invaluable with all the extra static going on this season...

Well it appears Andres has as well, & i'd almost guarantee Reggie'd have WAY better stats than AJ at this point in the season and giving Reggie a proper farewell season would have been a much better look overall, let alone his leadership couldve been invaluable with all the extra static going on this season...

I agree with this 100%.  I was a HUGE fan of the Andre signing, I'll admit,  I've even defended him this season up until a few weeks ago.  But I can't ignore the fact he can't get open...and when he does, 95% of the time, he drops the ball.  Sure he had a good play or 2 this season...but so did Nicks and DHB, occassionally.

Whalen needs to spend more time in the slot.  

With Dorsett injured and AJ not doing so hot, Griff is honestly the #3 most effective receiver on this team.  He came up big.

Ran some great routes and hung onto the ball despite the hit.

Why is it we have to spend half to 3 quarters of the season foolishly playing Grigson's latest free agent WR bust and watching him drop passes when Whalen will go out there and get you the first down.  

He's not going to hit many home runs but that's not something we need from him.  TY Hilton can hit the home runs.  Moncrief can too and Dorsett I believe will be next year.  

Whalen the way I look at him when he is on the field plays much like a Reggie Wayne or even a Edleman type of wide receiver. Now I know it's only been two games but he has shown he is a great possession receiver. He can't really gain YAC or really have speed to get open. But if the ball comes his way he finds a way to snag it.

I said weeks ago in a Griff Whalen thread he could used like a Edelman, Welker or an Austin Collie given more playing time and the right system, and took loads of crap for it lol fingers crossed the coaching staff utilises him the correct way.

Whalen needs to spend more time in the slot.  

With Dorsett injured and AJ not doing so hot, Griff is honestly the #3 most effective receiver on this team.  He came up big.

Ran some great routes and hung onto the ball despite the hit.

Why is it we have to spend half to 3 quarters of the season foolishly playing Grigson's latest free agent WR bust and watching him drop passes when Whalen will go out there and get you the first down.  

He's not going to hit many home runs but that's not something we need from him.  TY Hilton can hit the home runs.  Moncrief can too and Dorsett I believe will be next year.  

Honestly, not gonna stick this on Grigson.  Based on how solid AJ looked last year with a crap QB, I thought AJ would have a career season this year.  He didn't have but a couple drops all last season and has had suregrip hands until this year.  Not sure wth is going on.  

But I can't fault Grigson for getting him, especially considering there were MULTIPLE teams after him

I have a feeling he wont be so much going forward

He'll be deservedly #4 behind TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett.   But may rotate in when one of them is nicked or just to give a breather.  He's useful as a WR and tackler on special teams and deserves a solid roster spot because of it.  He was never suited to be a returner, other than a fill-in fair catcher when the real returner is hurt.

Whalen has been better than AJ, Nicks, DHB, and an unhealthy Reggie Wayne.

A play really sticks out to me after watching the game yesterday. Mind you, I was watching it in real time and haven't looked at any replays. It looked like Luck led AJ perfectly into the middle of the field. And I mean he put it exactly where it needed to be, unlike the so many times he throws above or behind on those routes. There was good coverage, but AJ should have caught the ball and instead it went right through his hands. Those are the plays we need him to make, and he was making them last year against the Colts lol

Now, can Griff make that catch? I don't know, but I think we should definitely give him the opportunities

I liked the AJ signing, I had a bad feeling between him and Gore he wasn't going to pan out.  However, I think Moncrief, Hilton, Whalen, and Dorsett would work awesome. I like Whalen playing an Austin Collie role, sure handed, crucial 3rd down catches. Maybe Lucks new third down go to guy? :)

Whalen is nothing like Collie, other than being white.

A play really sticks out to me after watching the game yesterday. Mind you, I was watching it in real time and haven't looked at any replays. It looked like Luck led AJ perfectly into the middle of the field. And I mean he put it exactly where it needed to be, unlike the so many times he throws above or behind on those routes. There was good coverage, but AJ should have caught the ball and instead it went right through his hands. Those are the plays we need him to make, and he was making them last year against the Colts lol

Now, can Griff make that catch? I don't know, but I think we should definitely give him the opportunities

AJ wasn't that open on that play either.

What strikes me odd is when there are claims that "getting open" really isn't AJs game.  It about out muscling the DB. 

Sorry, what coach believes that a WRs job isn't to get open.  Whalen doesn't have to out muscle anyone.  I think he's been pretty open the times he's been targeted by Luck.

Need a 3rd down completion, throw it to Whalen. Man has great hands. He is a non athletically gift smaller white kid who has excellent routes and hands and that trumps an athletically gifted bad hands speedy player everyday of the year.

He is not a savior but he is consistent and that's what every successful team has.

what does his skin color have to do with it?

BTW, at this point in their careers, Whalen is much more athletic than AJ. 

Whalen is nothing like Collie, other than being white.

Griff Whalen averages 1 more yard per reception than Collie. 

Both are slot receivers, maybe Collie is more sure handed and polished as a route runner but given more playing time and practice Whalen can be similar.

Collie Ran a 4.5 in the 40 

Griff Ran a 4.5  in the 40, and yes both are white

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Houston was right, AJ is gassed and his tank his dry.  7 targets, 0 catches again.  Including a beautiful, perfect throw right into his hands.  I'm thinking they need to bench Andre and release him at the end of the season...

Thoughts?

Andre had several great blocks in the running game.

Sorry, but Andre has a Luck problem that should get better.