Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do I maintain interest in this team, without being emotionally let down each week?

coltsfan1157

I bet if you did, the outcome of the game would certainly become secondary at the very least

Yes it would. It would make me think something was going on. On a serious note I need to stop letting these games bother me so much. It is tough to watch the Colts at times especially in the Luck era because every game is close. Enough to give someone an ulcer. I want them to win so badly but it's not worth my health or any fans health for that matter. We aren't playing so we cant affect the outcome.

I used to live and die by the Colts. Then we had our first child, a boy. After the first loss of the season, I was all down about it....right until my boy ran up and hugged me when we were outside (I was doing some yard work). He is about a year and a half old....it hit me that day. I was done letting the Colts dictate how I feel. I had been gradually getting that way for the past few years, but that was the tipping point. It is a game, played for our enjoyment and entertainment. I don't play for, or work for the Colts. When they win, I'm a bit happier. If they lose, I'll be a bit upset for a minute, but I move on with life. I wasn't even that upset today. I was hoping they could pull off the comeback, but oh well. Life goes on. I did get a bit more into the Pats game bc of the rivalry, but even that loss wasn't like in year's past.

As you get older, at least for me, priorities in life change. In my 20s ate, slept and breathed Colts during the season. Those playoff losses ate at me like I was part of the team.... I still am a big fan, but no way I'm going to let a game ruin my day or the week after.

I decided a long time ago to not let sports outcomes affect my well being. You might want to do the same. The way I see it, I'm not out there playing so nothing I can do about it anyway. Keep your expectations lower and all will be well:)

I want to feel that way but its tough. If I care enough to be excited about a win, then I also care enough to be * about a loss.

It is really hard for me to separate the two

A lot of people use the "just stop caring as much" strategy, which can help, but I use the ultimate optimist strategy. Hey, we're playing bad, but we'll still probably make the playoffs. Anything can happen from there. Or if somehow we go 3-13 this year, at least we'll get some stud in the draft. Or lets say the team never wins a game till the end of time. Well think of all the records that'll be broken in that process! When we lose, I usually just move on and go do something else. Like make fajitas. Those are always fun.

A lot of people use the "just stop caring as much" strategy, which can help, but I use the ultimate optimist strategy. Hey, we're playing bad, but we'll still probably make the playoffs. Anything can happen from there. Or if somehow we go 3-13 this year, at least we'll get some stud in the draft. Or lets say the team never wins a game till the end of time. Well think of all the records that'll be broken in that process! When we lose, I usually just move on and go do something else. Like make fajitas. Those are always fun.

That's right, my friend! Preach!

It's starting to become difficult.

It can be hard, but you have to find a balance. I don't know what that might be for you. There was a time when I was similar in my thoughts. Heck, that feeling tries to creep in from time to time even now. You can't let your life, or attitude revolve around the outcome of a game, season or the Colts. Even when the Colts are at their best and winning, you should keep your euphoria in check. Don't let that natural high (regarding the Colts) be the most important feeling you have. This is all my 2 cents worth.

I actually did pick Denver to win the SB at the beginning of the season so my expectation from the beginning wasn't thinking we would win it all but I did think we would be a solid contender and be on par with Denver again like last season and on par with the Pats finally.

Yeah, I thought the Colts would be doing a heck of a lot better too. I realized I needed to recalibrate after the Tennessee game. I'll reassess if they ever decide to put a whole game out there instead of just a quarter or two. Right now I'm just looking for more than poop noodles.