Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts to sign RB Monte Ball

TKnight24

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked him his rookie year, but the injuries and then all the false hope he got from this forum really turned my perspective around on him. People really were on here acting like he was about to be the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson but ignoring the fact he was coming off 2 non contact injuries

There were exactly ZERO people on here who thought he was the next AP.

Good god.

Thank you for not treading on my line.  Please allow me to interject into TK's normal nonsense.

Dear God...

Not my favorite RB available, but I did say somewhere (think it's here), that I wouldn't of minded if Ballard got released for Ball. Not feeling great about it, but I got my wish. We basically released a done like dinner rb in Ballard for a rb in ball that may or not be good. The good news is that he has no real injuries and he's young. 2nd round pedigree (though it doesn't mean a lot), and he's shown a bit of potential when starting for the broncos. We could of done a lot worse. I hope he can learn the playbook for a week or two and start in week 3 or 4 and make an impact. 

I don't get why some of you guys don't like this move. Its literally a no risk move considering it'll be a low dollar contract. And if he plays well we have a good young back to pair with Gore. Its zero risk with a potentially pretty high reward. So it cant possibly hurt anything. You know unless we cut Varga and he goes to New England and rushes for 1,200yrds, 5.0YPC, and 8TD's LOL.

This is logical.....He's young...potential still there..

Hasn't been healthy....always seemed a step slow in Denver..and we get I'm for low money.

Why not?

Never said this was a terrible decision, but I do question it. Worst case scenario, we waste carries on Ball. From what I saw in Denver he doesn't deserve a spot on our roster. I'd rather give that spot to a stud like Bradshae, even if he'd only be good for a few games.

I never understood the concept od 'wasting carries'.

You try him....if he cant do much..you move on.....

Nobody 'deserves' a spot on our roster.... ....but we're a playoff team and the less rookies playing prominent roles the better it is for this season

Another soft Trent-like running back with no vision who will be running behind our weak offensive line. Meet the new drive killing running back in Indy.  Aaaaaand he's a Wisconsin running back who have historically not succeeded at the next level.  Thanks Griggs...keep building that cookie monster!  

Should have just resigned Bradshaw. At least we know he would run hard for us even if hopping along on one leg.   

Check out this video...it literally had me crying with laughter.  We are signing a no blocking, fumbling prone back.  Seriously Griggs?  haha

"Believe in Monte Ball"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMzSnApJwg

So you are going to judge Ball on this clip? I guess you didn't listen to what the announcer said. I seem to remember that a couple of other great RBs had some fumble issues early in their careers. I have no clue if Ball is going to contribute to the Colts but to write him off is not only premature, it's silly.

I'm talking about these pickups of guys that are washed up and/or nobody else wants. I've liked his drafting except for the fact he can't get Luck some help at the rb position. We've seen what Ball is...and from my eyes he seems to be a product of the Wisconsin system.

Part of the reason he can't get Luck help at the running back spot is the injuries they get. I believe Gore will still give him a running game if they give him the ball more. Everyone clambering for Bradshaw and saying Grigson sucks needs to realize that we had him play two seasons and he wasn't available for the playoffs which hurt Luck by giving him no running game at the biggest time. I do not want him back.

Part of the reason he can't get Luck help at the running back spot is the injuries they get. I believe Gore will still give him a running game if they give him the ball more. Everyone clambering for Bradshaw and saying Grigson sucks needs to realize that we had him play two seasons and he wasn't available for the playoffs which hurt Luck by giving him no running game at the biggest time. I do not want him back.

Agreed but I don't want ball either. Pound it with Gore dang it

So you are going to judge Ball on this clip? I guess you didn't listen to what the announcer said. I seem to remember that a couple of other great RBs had some fumble issues early in their careers. I have no clue if Ball is going to contribute to the Colts but to write him off is not only premature, it's silly.

How about some more cause for concern...from the Broncos perspective?  Ball was a slug in preseason who could not hit holes...

http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/09/08/did-the-broncos-give-up-on-montee-ball-too-soon/?iframe=1

I'm really hoping this signing does not go through.  I don't even want to see if he is going to work out because his career to date is just more of what ails this team...we keep perpetuating our aura of softness by signing guys like this.   

How about some more cause for concern...from the Broncos perspective?  Ball was a slug in preseason who could not hit holes...

http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/09/08/did-the-broncos-give-up-on-montee-ball-too-soon/?iframe=1

I'm really hoping this signing does not go through.  I don't even want to see if he is going to work out because his career to date is just more of what ails this team...we keep perpetuating our aura of softness by signing guys like this.   

Last time I checked the Broncos offensive line is worse than the Colts. Look, I have no clue how this might work out but at least Grigson is trying to make the roster better. You sound like you think the Colts are at the bottom of the NFL. The perpetuating aura you speak of is nonsense. Who cares what others think?

Last time I checked the Broncos offensive line is worse than the Colts. Look, I have no clue how this might work out but at least Grigson is trying to make the roster better. You sound like you think the Colts are at the bottom of the NFL. The perpetuating aura you speak of is nonsense. Who cares what others think?

The Colts are as soft as Charmin tissue on a baby's behind. That is simply the truth. I'm evaluating them based on other Super Bowl contending teams. To take the next step...they must become a lot tougher. Signing guys like a Monte Ball doesn't achieve that.

Agreed but I don't want ball either. Pound it with Gore dang it

Even if we signed him it wouldn't matter. He would not play a big role unless he really impressed in the carries he got. We're not investing a first round pick in him and we're not giving him guaranteed money so who cares.

Blind post, but I don't think this is a terrible decision.

It's not likely that Ball is going to command a big contract right now, probably very little to no guaranteed money.

Bring him in, give him a change of scenery and see if he can play.  A fresh start with little expectations might be just what he needs. 

If he doesn't work out, you let him go and you've lost little to nothing. 

It doesn't really make a big impact!!!! Low risk possible high reward!

I would however say we give Varga and Robinson some experience and playing time! Why keep them on the roster if you don't think they are ready to play. I think both can be very good backs if they get playing time behind Gore.

Goodness gracious.

Why in the world are you under the impression that Ball is being brought in to start over Gore?!?

Where did THIS come from?

IF he's being signed, he's being signed for DEPTH -- NOT to start!

Never said that..... guess i need to spell it out....you can't have a running game unless you call run plays.....we went dang near 3 quarters with barely any running plays last week. We could have AP, Lacy, Murray and heck Emmitt Smith and Edge as rbs and still wouldn't matter unless we actually tried to run the dang ball.....

I would much rather sign Bradshaw for a temporary fix, because we know what we would be getting and he knows the playbook.  Even if he got reinjured, I think it would buy us more time for the Colts to get some other guys healthy.  Who knows he could possibly do some great things as a #2 option in our run game, and last longer.

Gore-Varga combo is what we need! Please don't let Ball come in here and take the 2nd string spot. We are actually good with what we have now. Gore-Varga-Robinson combo is good. The 2 rookies just need more experience. Please Grigson,, if you sign anyone, let it be Bradshaw. Heck even Ray Rice is better than Monte Ball. 

Gore-Varga combo is what we need! Please don't let Ball come in here and take the 2nd string spot. We are actually good with what we have now. Gore-Varga-Robinson combo is good. The 2 rookies just need more experience. Please Grigson,, if you sign anyone, let it be Bradshaw. Heck even Ray Rice is better than Monte Ball.

Amen and AAAAAAAmen!

I never understood the concept od 'wasting carries'.

You try him....if he cant do much..you move on.....

Nobody 'deserves' a spot on our roster.... ....but we're a playoff team and the less rookies playing prominent roles the better it is for this season

You really don't understand the concept of "wasting carries"? Did you not watch any colts games the last two years with Trent Richardson?