Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carter Is Gone.

Indyfan4life

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Size does matter in a receiver who can out jump a defensive player but that has nothing to do with running great routes and getting open. Some of the greatest receivers in history were considered small. Even as great as Johnson is for Detroit his TD catches didn't pan out last season.

OOOOkay.... a player recovering from multiple career ending injuries who is still injured is better than one who is young, fresh and a true physical specimen. Wow, I guess we should expect nothing less than an AP recovery type season out of  Ballard since he is already that much better?   

Ballard is not recovering from career ending injuries.. he is coming back from an injury that many people have had. Either person won't have a big role in the offense so we might as well put Varga on the PS as he is eligible. He didn't put up major numbers to guarantee him anything. He plays hard, but Ballard does as well.

Okay, I just watched INDY vs the Bengals. Here are my overall impressions in no particular order of importance: 

--I like Rock-N-Roll music as much as anybody but the Kenny Wayne Sheperd Natl. Anthem on electric guitar didn't sit right with me even though I know Jim Irsay loved it. Maybe it's because my dad served in Korea, but you honor the troops serving abroad by having a singer perform a nice version of it with their voice not some dude wailing on a guitar. It's like hearing a rap version of "Silent Night" at church on Christmas Eve. It cheapens the significance of the occasion honoring the sacrifices of our armed forces overseas & that just rubs me the wrong way. Jimmy looked nice in his red jacket in the broadcast booth though. That man is not afraid of color & he knows how to make an unforgettable impression. Only Jimmy can pull that look off. 

--Colt Anderson I was disappointed that you didn't pick that pass off in the 1st Qtr man. It was right there for the taking.

--Jr. Sylvestre, Clayton Geathers, Sheldon Price, & D'Joun Smith excellent job of dislodging the ball from Bengals TE Taylor Kroft near the end of the 2nd QTR. I was so proud of all the INDY players who flew in to break up that play & get a beautiful turnover man. It got my blood pumping for the regular season. Superb teamwork & a great hit by Sylvestre! Fantastic man.

--Vick Ballard looked solid before he pulled his hamstring. He caught the ball well from Hasselbeck, he was hit the hole well, & his burst looked right with an extra gear for the afterburners if necessary.

--RB Tyler Varga just popped off my tv screen tonight. That kid showed me something: Speed, vision, doesn't hesitate, & good hands. If Varga is solid on special teams too I think that means Ballard might be gone.

--Duron Carter why the hades were you running the wrong route when QB Bryan Bennett threw you a perfect pass? Grr! Colts Legacy is right when he said your route running sucked. Jesus. I'd expect more from a kid whose HOF WR dad taught you how to run crisp & precise routes on every single formation. Yeah, I know Carter got better as the game progressed, but not being on the same page with your QB & running the wrong route for an easy completion is inexcusable man. Come on dude.

--When Boom Herron came off the field wincing in pain over his shoulder, I was like god darn it. First Ballard gets a 9 yard carry & is on the sidelines for the rest of the night & now Boom gets nicked up. It would bother me so much if we hadn't just lost Arthur Jones for the year.

--Bryant Bennett throwing that pick/Bengals touchback in our end zone didn't exactly make me jump for joy in the 2nd half either. Yeah I know, late in the game with 3rd stringers on the o-line who won't make the team didn't do Bennett any favors. That kid can run though holy moly man!

--Josh Chapman looked good. I'm glad Pagano keep him in so long. He needs the reps.

Overall, I loved seeing LBs & CBs flying to the ball & getting licks or love taps on Bengals WRs & TEs often. I'll give our defense a B for getting a couple of turnovers & holding Cincinnati to FGs in the red zone.

--Matt Hasselbeck looked great. I can't believe he's almost 40 years old wow! Matt is as funny as hades too. I love that guy.

--I heard that Sheldon Price has a concussion too. Please God be alright for week 1 of the regular season.     

That's good to know cause I like Whalen

I thought Whalen out played Carter up until the last couple of the pre-season games.  In the end I think it was Whalen's special teams skills that won the job.  This was a job for the fifth WR spot on a team that is very deep 1-4 at WR so they didn't really need a fifth WR whose strength are being a WR.  What they needed is a return man.  They have been trying to find anyone, including Carter, who could win that job.  While Whalen isn't that flashy at returns you know he can do the job.  So I think what they decided when picking the fifth WR was that a guy who can return kicks and punts was more important than a guy who might develop into a good WR in a few years to come.

I expect to see the Colts try to put Carter on their practice squad and keep developing him for the future if they can but I don't think he's NFL ready yet. 

I do hope Carter makes it through waivers.  He is a little rough, but that kind of talent gets noticed.

I don't really understand the 5 RB thing.  I know Boom got dinged and Robinson is coming off concussion.  But even 3 RBs for a game should be enough.  I would personally take the other RBs over Ballard because I don't trust his health.  I think Robinson and Varga have more upside at this point.

Should have just not signed here dude

Well he signed prior to the draft. He like many of us had no idea Colts would be drafting another WR with its first round pick. He probably thought he had a decent shot to compete for some significant playing time here at the time he signed. But alas we just had too many talented wideouts and he was the guy who washed out. Some one talented was bound to be let go. I doubt he clears waivers as another team will probably be all over him.

OOOOkay.... a player recovering from multiple career ending injuries who is still injured is better than one who is young, fresh and a true physical specimen. Wow, I guess we should expect nothing less than an AP recovery type season out of Ballard since he is already that much better?

How could anyone have multiple career ending injuries? Wouldn't their career be over after the first career ending injury?

... In the end I think it was Whalen's special teams skills that won the job.  This was a job for the fifth WR spot on a team that is very deep 1-4 at WR so they didn't really need a fifth WR whose strength are being a WR.  What they needed is a return man.  They have been trying to find anyone, including Carter, who could win that job.  While Whalen isn't that flashy at returns you know he can do the job.  So I think what they decided when picking the fifth WR was that a guy who can return kicks and punts was more important than a guy who might develop into a good WR in a few years to come.

I expect to see the Colts try to put Carter on their practice squad and keep developing him for the future if they can but I don't think he's NFL ready yet.

I agree with much of what you say. I mean, I for one was quite shocked that Carter didn't make the team, but thinking from a team building perspective, I have no doubt that Griff brings more to the table in special teams play. Ergo, accepting that Carter would barely see the field because of the 4 receivers ahead of him, the Colts are a stronger team because of the extra enhancement that Griff brings to the special teams.

The part I don't agree with is the notion of Griff being a returner. Already tried that, initially with Griff being Mr. Reliable at it, but then last year he started making the same bad judgement no fair catches that plagued Cribbs, whom replaced Griff. I don't see Griff as a return guy unless he simply becomes a reliable return catcher instead of an ill-timed non fair catching liability that he had started to become, which led to his being replaced by Cribbs.

There is no doubt, though, that in special teams coverage units, Griff is way better than Carter could be, and griff also brings a reliable hands element as an outlet receiver at the same time. Hence, there is a degree of logic in keeping Griff over Carter.

I am hoping that Carter clears waivers and can go on the PS, groomed to make the team down the road, perhaps when Johnson is done.

I agree with much of what you say. I mean, I for one was quite shocked that Carter didn't make the team, but thinking from a team building perspective, I have no doubt that Griff brings more to the table in special teams play. Ergo, accepting that Carter would barely see the field because of the 4 receivers ahead of him, the Colts are a stronger team because of the extra enhancement that Griff brings to the special teams.

The part I don't agree with is the notion of Griff being a returner. Already tried that, initially with Griff being Mr. Reliable at it, but then last year he started making the same bad judgement no fair catches that plagued Cribbs, whom replaced Griff. I don't see Griff as a return guy unless he simply becomes a reliable return catcher instead of an ill-timed non fair catching liability that he had started to become, which led to his being replaced by Cribbs.

There is no doubt, though, that in special teams coverage units, Griff is way better than Carter could be, and griff also brings a reliable hands element as an outlet receiver at the same time. Hence, there is a degree of logic in keeping Griff over Carter.

I am hoping that Carter clears waivers and can go on the PS, groomed to make the team down the road, perhaps when Johnson is done.

In an ideal world I agree Whalen wouldn't be the returner either.  However, the Colts tried several people in the pre-season and no one could win the job.  So while he's not flashy at least you know Griff is reliable.  Honestly when I see kick returner I mean more punt returner.  I expect either Boom or Dorset back there fielding kickoffs.  Griff has shown pretty good judgment on punt returns.  No he's probably never going to take one back to the house but you also know it's more than likely that he's not going to put it on the ground either and with what the Colts should have on offense that alone should be good enough for a punt returner.  Again, no ideal but they have an offense that should be over come not having an explosive punt returner. 

No one else has shown to be far better than Griff at even that and they gave a lot of people a chance to win that job. Also if they don't want Dorset to return kicks and Boom can't go week one you need someone back there and Griff at least has a history of that. 

What you say about his reliable punt returning was the conception, but last year he lost that reliability. I remember very clearly him making bad no fair catch choices where he did fumble as a result, several times. And I was yelling that if he's not going to be reliable, then what's the point of having him back there.

That being said, prior he had been reliable and he actually had a few big returns, but they had been called back due to penalty. If he returns to being mr. Reliable, then I am fine with it, but if he is making the same bad judgements that got him replaced, then I'd rather not see him returning punts.

Regardless, on coverage units I think he's quite good and that is important, as our coverage units had previously been cripe for so many years.

we gave two stupid years to freaking Adrango on our team why cants we keep carter and teach him

Adongo was on the Practice Squad. We would most likely have to put Carter on the 53 to keep him and he hasn't earned that. I'm sure the Colts would love to have Carter on the PS.

Hmmmm...pretty sure I called this one. Which one of you was arguing with me about how badass he was in practice and how I thought he stunk in games?

From game 1 preseason; "Carter doing nothing but playing himself off the roster".

Yeah, I'm still a little surprised they released him. I'm not shocked though, we as fans really didn't get to see much of him but it's not like he was going to get much play time in the regular season anyways barring a couple injuries lol. This receiving core is loaded. I really think Griff i ls incredibly versatile and could be a starter on some teams.

Yeah, I'm still a little surprised they released him. I'm not shocked though, we as fans really didn't get to see much of him but it's not like he was going to get much play time in the regular season anyways barring a couple injuries lol. This receiving core is loaded. I really think Griff i ls incredibly versatile and could be a starter on some teams.

Yep. In the week 1 preseason game, I also discussed how Griff's Special Teams acumen would be what saves his butt. 

No way Carter makes   it through wavers. some team will grab him and teach him.  he is still to physically gifted to pass up.  Ibet Indy prays he  will be there for PS...but  no way he last's....

You might be right but there was a reason he wasn't drafted and couldn't find a NFL team to take a gamble on him. He busted out of a couple of colleges and ended up in Canada. He has had his father making a long list of excuses for him since he was in school. He evidently has a problem with learning things like route running and blocking. He might have looked good against Canada's players but so far he hasn't learned enough to play in the NFL. A lot of players can look good in camp but no so good when the real football is played. The only thing he done in pre season was catch a pass over a broken defensive play. I could be wrong but IMO he has too much against him being a Colt at this point.

Minnie Mouse receivers are not a good risk reward scenario.  There is no reason why a 6'5 receiver should not physically dominate every corner he faces.  

Welker was a "Minnie Mouse" receiver.  Dude had a pretty good career.  That's just one of many recent examples when it comes to small burners in the slot.

That said, I understand that your point was that more often than not, small WRs don't pan out in the NFL.  I just don't think size has anything to do with it.  While height/length is certainly an advantage for outside receivers (not many lengthy CBs out there), small, slot-fit WRs can use their diminutive stature advantageously, particularly when they get matched up against LBs. 

I was expecting to see Carter use his size to make plays this preseason.  Unfortunately, I saw him get beat by shorter corners on 50-50 balls well within his "catch radius."

I thought Chapman would of at least made it as our backup DT. And I think Carter has way more upside over Whalen. I guess we'll see what happens. Watch Carter go to New England and become a Monster.

i can see this happen because the colts have a history of letting go of good players and then they become super stars, I still like to know why we have 5 stupid running backs

Minnie Mouse receivers are not a good risk reward scenario. Look at our own 1st Round Minnie the minute he gets hit .... fumble and injury. And for the spinners, I am not saying that there are not some exceptional Minnies out there .... just that I prefer big receivers over small ones any day of the week. Carter just needs toughness. There is no reason why a 6'5 receiver should not physically dominate every corner he faces.  

So it was your decision to play 6-2, 219 lbs. Darrius "Durable" Heyward-Bey instead of 5-9, 173 lbs. T.Y. "Minnie Mouse" Hilton back in 2013?! I see...

By the way, being 6-4, 316 lbs. human doesn't help Ben Heenan to stay healthy.

I'm not tripping over the release of Carter.  We had a surplus at the position and with the new found shortage on the DL it wouldn't make any sense to carry 6 WR. This steam needs to fill the vacated spots on the DL.  I thought maybe he would have surpassed Whalen, but it's not a big shocker he didn't because Griff is a more polished receiver than Duron.  Griff gets what is needed to play the position, while Duron is more talented it was clear he needs more development.  I'm sure the Colts are crossing their fingers and hoping they can get him on the PS.  I'm pretty confident with some extra coaching they'll turn him into a beast.