Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Holmes or Harrison?

RockThatBlue

I thought they both played well. Holmes had one really bad play where he was too eager to get to the second level on a run block, and left Herremans out to dry. I didn't notice any bad plays by Harrison, but he's not as good at picking up delayed pressure up the middle.

I thought they both played well. Holmes had one really bad play where he was too eager to get to the second level on a run block, and left Herremans out to dry. I didn't notice any bad plays by Harrison, but he's not as good at picking up delayed pressure up the middle.

that's my knock against Harrison.....it's not physical, it's mental (snaps, losing rushers to block).....he's almost never beaten physically. Once he's engaged with someone it's over.

If you could combine Holmes' mental aspect and Harrisions physical aspect, you'd have the perfect center.

that's my knock against Harrison.....it's not physical, it's mental (snaps, losing rushers to block).....he's almost never beaten physically. Once he's engaged with someone it's over.

If you could combine Holmes' mental aspect and Harrisions physical aspect, you'd have the perfect center.

In an ideal world Harrison would be Center because at that position you not only need someone to make good line calls (Holmes) but you need a Center that can blast the DT off the ball and open up holes in the run (Harrison), In an ideal world Holmes would be a Guard do to his mobility...But hey...In an ideal world we would have better blocking schemes....I've just learned to accept we are now officially in full on Colts post 2007 mode......pass pass pass pass pass.......no run no run no run no run no run

In an ideal world Harrison would be Center because at that position you not only need someone to make good line calls (Holmes) but you need a Center that can blast the DT off the ball and open up holes in the run (Harrison), In an ideal world Holmes would be a Guard do to his mobility...But hey...In an ideal world we would have better blocking schemes....I've just learned to accept we are now officially in full on Colts post 2007 mode......pass pass pass pass pass.......no run no run no run no run no run

As of now it's run run pass run run pass bc usually we don't pick up the first and then were forced to pass thennnn second half of the season it's pass pass pass run pass pass pass pass lmao

Holmes was much quicker off the ball than Harrison and he gets into position much better and is more a technician. 

Harrison isn't bad off the snap and when he locks onto a defender it really is a thing of beauty to watch him muscle the guy around.  Unfortunately for Harrison the times when he cleanly locks onto a defender and maintains his base so he can muscle him around doesn't happen often.

Holmes works with his guards better and, if doubling a defender, can hand him off and slide back to his hole to stop a delayed or stunting defender.  Holmes ends up chasing the guy in that situation.

For right now, I'd say Holmes is better but the gap is not huge.  Still I think it would take a series of HUGE mistakes by Holmes or a series INCREDIBLE plays by Harrison in order for that to change.

Give Harrison Holmes' brain. Problem solved.

I'd be curious to see Harrison get a shot at guard.

Overall, I think I like Harrison better. I feel Harrison can learn to make better reads easier than Holmes can learn physicality. I think Harrison was definitely better Sunday but he wasn't going vs. #1s.

Overall, I think I like Harrison better. I feel Harrison can learn to make better reads easier than Holmes can learn physicality. I think Harrison was definitely better Sunday but he wasn't going vs. #1s.

I think on that Robinson TD play it was Harrison who I saw push his man 3-4 yards down the field. No doubt dude has incredible strength.

I thought Holmes played well and really showed some physicality.  There was more than one play where he locked up on his man and well....manhandled him IMO.  I've watched that play SM talks about as that did stand out, but Herremans also seemed to hesitate a bit before attacking the DT (who blew up the play).  So I'll chalk that up to "still learning and growing."  

I also thought there where several plays where there were nice creases in the line, but Tipton just couldn't get to them.  I think Gore might have ripped off some nice chunks had he been in there.

It's not just reads with Harrison. Assuming that he can learn to make reads as well as he needs to (and I don't necessarily accept that as fact), he lacks post snap awareness to recognize delayed pressure, and he lacks the footwork to get into position to block them. Get him moving forward with purpose, and he's fine, but ask him to go laterally or heaven forbid go backward half a step, and it's not pretty. He's able to use his brute upper body strength to make up for it, but his issues are more than just pre snap reads.

I haven't even mentioned the snap issues, which are hard to get over at this point.

I thought Holmes played well and really showed some physicality.  There was more than one play where he locked up on his man and well....manhandled him IMO.  I've watched that play SM talks about as that did stand out, but Herremans also seemed to hesitate a bit before attacking the DT (who blew up the play).  So I'll chalk that up to "still learning and growing."  

I also thought there where several plays where there were nice creases in the line, but Tipton just couldn't get to them.  I think Gore might have ripped off some nice chunks had he been in there.

I think Gore would have starred if he had played. Tipton was slow to the hole, and showed little ability to improvise when there was room to the outside. Even if he had bounced it outside -- and there were at least four clear opportunities to do so -- he probably wouldn't have had the speed to turn the corner on the defense. Boom probably would have had a good game, too.

As for the Holmes mistake, it's impossible to know the play and the assignments, but I don't see how Herremans could possibly have made the block on that play. The DL was lined up almost directly over Holmes, probably shaded a little, but not much. Holmes blew right past him, and Herremans was immediately behind the DL as he pursued the play. I think Holmes was supposed to get a check on the DL while Herremans got over into position, then Holmes could get to the second level. But second level doesn't matter if you let the DL blow up the play in the backfield.

I think Gore would have starred if he had played. Tipton was slow to the hole, and showed little ability to improvise when there was room to the outside. Even if he had bounced it outside -- and there were at least four clear opportunities to do so -- he probably wouldn't have had the speed to turn the corner on the defense. Boom probably would have had a good game, too.

As for the Holmes mistake, it's impossible to know the play and the assignments, but I don't see how Herremans could possibly have made the block on that play. The DL was lined up almost directly over Holmes, probably shaded a little, but not much. Holmes blew right past him, and Herremans was immediately behind the DL as he pursued the play. I think Holmes was supposed to get a check on the DL while Herremans got over into position, then Holmes could get to the second level. But second level doesn't matter if you let the DL blow up the play in the backfield.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably Holmes fault, unless LL was supposed to pull and take out the DL.  Hard to say.  But that's one reason why I find Oline play probably the most facinating aspect of football.  It really is a choreography.  One person messes up and the whole play goes down the toilet.  It is something to appreciate and not just a RB runing into "the pile."

I personally thought that of the two Harrison had the better game against the Eagles. I also think that if Harrison could get the rest of the mental aspect of the game down that he would be a much better center than Holmes, but that is a tall task. I believe Holmes is the guy this year, but I think Harrison is always going to be on his heels.

It's not just reads with Harrison. Assuming that he can learn to make reads as well as he needs to (and I don't necessarily accept that as fact), he lacks post snap awareness to recognize delayed pressure, and he lacks the footwork to get into position to block them. Get him moving forward with purpose, and he's fine, but ask him to go laterally or heaven forbid go backward half a step, and it's not pretty. He's able to use his brute upper body strength to make up for it, but his issues are more than just pre snap reads.

I haven't even mentioned the snap issues, which are hard to get over at this point.

I was obviously over simplifying things. Everything you say is true regarding Harrison, but I just do not like Holmes. I think he is too soft and easily bullied, plus at times his technique is just super awkward. Honestly, I think they both stink but I definitely like Harrison's upside more.

In an ideal world Harrison would be Center because at that position you not only need someone to make good line calls (Holmes) but you need a Center that can blast the DT off the ball and open up holes in the run (Harrison), In an ideal world Holmes would be a Guard do to his mobility...But hey...In an ideal world we would have better blocking schemes....I've just learned to accept we are now officially in full on Colts post 2007 mode......pass pass pass pass pass.......no run no run no run no run no run

Now what makes you think we would run with the first pick being a receiver? :sarcasm:

Yeah on that play Holmes need to, at a minimum get an arm up and slow the DT in the RG gets in position and then go to the 2nd level.  Ideally he should fire out and push the guy towards his right so as Herr is firing out he is on a position to push the guy downfield instead of sideways.

I'm not an over the top fan of either of them but I think Holmes has the edge skill and intelligence wise. Harrison is certainly stronger but he has issues that have been widely discussed ad naseum. If Holmes can stay healthy I think he will be a very good center for us. He seems to do very well in coordinating the protections and getting the line on the same page. I didn't see Harrisson do that last year at all.

Hopefully Holmes stays healthy and proves to be a good center this season.