Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner no longer a starter

LordHelpOurColts

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is he not a starter, but if he doesn't break out and Mathis is his old self then Werner will be the odd man out IMO. We'll have Mathis and Cole starting most likely with Walden and Newsome coming in. I think Newsome will be really good this year. So again baring a breakout year, Werner wont be playing too much as long as everybody's healthy.

Hes more of a strong side lb and Walden is the starter....if hes solid this year he could be Waldens replacement next year.

Im expecting to see Walden being a back up as well once Mathis is ready to go, Mathis at rush, Cole at Strong side.

Rush

1.Mathis

2.Newsome

3.Hodges

Strong Side Linebacker

1.Cole

2.Walden

3.Werner

Werner, Cole and Waldens contract all end after 2016 as does Mathis

Good. I'm tired of waiting for the guy to "Show up" personally. Why keep the guy at a position where he visibly struggles? Then there's always some excuse like the guy was playing injured for 90% of the season or whatever. For God's sake, these guys either produce out of the gate or they go to reserve roles or are even cut.

What happened is he's a Sam, not a Rush, and Walden is the starting Sam, so he's #2. I think he'll be really good at Sam.

Me too. Very happy about this move. I really think it could be a Jerry Hughes situation. Both guys were used incorrectly and showed promise immediately after being moved. Now let's hope they don't trade him before he has a chance to become a nice player.

Not surprised. But he'll be a starter in 2016. We won't renew Walden, and Mathis and Cole will probably be gone. But Newsome is probably the favorite to be the Rush OLB of the future.

I think he'll be a good Sam though. He isn't asthmatic enough to be a pure pass rusher, but he has all the tools necessary to be a good run stopper. Like I said a few weeks back, we finally know what Werner is.

What happened is he's a Sam, not a Rush, and Walden is the starting Sam, so he's #2. I think he'll be really good at Sam.

So since Trent Cole is known for his pass rushing, is he going to be playing Will or is he gonna start opposite of Mathis, just because?

So since Trent Cole is known for his pass rushing, is he going to be playing Will or is he gonna start opposite of Mathis, just because?

Trent Cole is going to play Rush (weakside outside linebacker). He'll start at first, it seems, since Mathis isn't ready.

Trent Cole is going to play Rush (weakside outside linebacker). He'll start at first, it seems, since Mathis isn't ready.

That seems to be a pretty deep position with Mathis, Cole, and Newsome. I wonder when we play 4, 2, 5 on passing down who the ends will be?

Do 2 of the three play noticeably better with their hands in the dirt than the odd man out?

Not surprised. But he'll be a starter in 2016. We won't renew Walden, and Mathis and Cole will probably be gone. But Newsome is probably the favorite to be the Rush OLB of the future.

I think he'll be a good Sam though. He isn't asthmatic enough to be a pure pass rusher, but he has all the tools necessary to be a good run stopper. Like I said a few weeks back, we finally know what Werner is.

Werner won't see another contract with the Colts.

Werner won't see another contract with the Colts.

I don't see why he wouldn't. He won't command a lot of money and a replacement won't be that easy to find. In 2016 he'll be going into his 4th year and will have been in the Colts scheme for awhile. A FA might be to expensive and a rookie will take time to groom.

Unless he just looks completely terrible, there's no way they don't extend him.

I don't see why he wouldn't. He won't command a lot of money and a replacement won't be that easy to find. In 2016 he'll be going into his 4th year and will have been in the Colts scheme for awhile. A FA might be to expensive and a rookie will take time to groom.

I expect him to be completely terrible......unfortunately

The other 3 guys will be 31 34 and 36 when their deals run out Werner will only be 26. Werner and Newsome could easily be the starters when all is said and done. It is crazy how quickly people want to give up on young players.

That seems to be a pretty deep position with Mathis, Cole, and Newsome. I wonder when we play 4, 2, 5 on passing down who the ends will be?

Do 2 of the three play noticeably better with their hands in the dirt than the odd man out?

Mathis & Cole hands in dirt > Newsome hand in dirt

Vets > Young Gun

Well.....   he's never been completely terrible.    So, if he is now,  that would be first.

Unfortunately.

Ok, he's been far from anything that can be described as good. To quote bill Polian.....he's a bust for intent and purposes.

Ok, he's been far from anything that can be described as good. To quote bill Polian.....he's a bust for intent and purposes.

You may be right,  but as someone who tries to be an optimist when I can,  I'm hoping Werner surprises us all and turns into a decent player on the Strongside,  where I think he belongs.    He's just not even close to athletic enough to ever be good on the Rush side.

I'm just hoping for solid average.....

2014 happened. 

He's just not that good, is all. 

bingo! everyone's break out year is his next.  i can only remember one that really got away from a talent evaluation standpoint and he became a Buffalo Bill and was given numerous chances to showcase with the Colts.  generally speaking, you are what you are.

I think it will be good for him to not be starting. Takes a load of pressure off him to perform right out of the gate this year. Plus, he wont be rushing the passer which he definitely struggled with.

I think he will be a good long term option at SAM once Walden is let go because his contract is either up or he is demanding too much.

I'm not one to say I told you so but, I told you so. I saw this coming after seeing Werner play in his first  year. He looked more like a strong side LB than a rush backer and I know some people will be disappointed and say he's a bust but if he works out on the strong side so be it. I think the move is a good one for Werner, it fits his skills better than playing rush backer and if he helps the defense more in the long run on the strong side its a good move all around.

On another note, I wonder what it is that has been nagging Werner from an injury stand point? He's never shown up on the injury reports and for some reason its a big secret with the organization. Even yesterday Pagano refused to comment on it. Seems odd.

Exactly right.

Walden is very mediocre against the run and the pass. I doubt that Walden finishes the year with many more snaps than Werner this season, if at all.

It is good that Werner is now at his best position.