Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeflateGate: Brady suspension expected (mega merge / updated)

HtownColt

Swiss cheese has holes ??  :scratch:

At least it does in the cartoons, which is what this ordeal has turned into, a complete cartoon, over a pretty insignificant issue, but a rule none the less...

Shady Brady has turned himself into a cartoon character in my mind, not owning up to it when he had the chance is pretty lame...

& now with the text messages it has gotten awesome...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 pages and counting.....just shake my head. I wish people were this passionate about matters that have some real importance. It is what it is. The league could have squashed this by just telling the Pats to knock it off...but they decided to bust them instead. Brady wouldn't have had his integrity called into question by simply playing the game the way it was suppose to. This is such a minor thing but its a bigger offense because of the cover up etc...and then on top we all have to have the lynch mob mentality of "getting" the Patriots....or "getting" Brady. This isn't going to affect his legacy but yes its a black eye on him personally because he had 3 chances to do the right thing...firstly not do it (or stop it)...secondly admit to it...and thirdly cooperate with the investigation. I'm not going to get in here in and make a big deal about what should be done etc. If Brady misses the ring ceremony on opening day I'm sure that is punishment enough because I don't want to get into what if scenerios....point was the games were played and the Pats beat ALL comers. They are the Champs...Brady is a 4 time SB champion and nothing is going to change that...or should. I understand teams feelings of wanting to play on an even playing field and that wasn't the case but fact is sports aren't really an even playing field. It's not played in a vaccum...so you just have to overcome some adversity or make the plays to become a champion....ala Tom Brady and Butler did in the SB. Its a dissappointing situation...to what I would say has been a really good guy. We fall...we all do....now lets hope he gets up!

The advantages and disadvantages that result in those uneven playing fields you mention are usually things that aren't against the rules.  For example, one team's advantage might be having a more complex defensive system that the opposing offense can't figure out.  Another team's advantage might be having an elite QB.  I could go on, but those are all in accordance with the rules.  You're essentially saying it's ok that the Pats broke the rules because everyone does it.  First off, you don't have evidence that everyone does it.  Secondly, the rules are there for a reason.  If all teams were allowed to do something, it wouldn't be against the rules.  The rules are there for a reason and teams are prohibited from doing some thing for a reason.  I could go on, but I think you get the point

The advantages and disadvantages that result in those uneven playing fields you mention are usually things that aren't against the rules.  For example, one team's advantage might be having a more complex defensive system that the opposing offense can't figure out.  Another team's advantage might be having an elite QB.  I could go on, but those are all in accordance with the rules.  You're essentially saying it's ok that the Pats broke the rules because everyone does it.  First off, you don't have evidence that everyone does it.  Secondly, the rules are there for a reason.  If all teams were allowed to do something, it wouldn't be against the rules.  The rules are there for a reason and teams are prohibited from doing some thing for a reason.  I could go on, but I think you get the point

Sports is essentially a group of people trying to achieve an objective within the parameters of an arbitrary set of rules. The importance or relevance of those rules to the outcome isn't really worth discussing. The point is that everyone agreed to them and is expected to abide by them.

So, havent confirmed this yet, but I was just listening to the radio and apparently there is some report that has surfaced dating back to 2004 alleging McNally and the Pats were suspected of switching out game balls after inspection for unapproved practice balls....with less air pressure.

Anyone have a link to this report by chance or did I miss this somehow in my reading of the Wells Report?

29 pages and counting.....just shake my head. I wish people were this passionate about matters that have some real importance. It is what it is. The league could have squashed this by just telling the Pats to knock it off...but they decided to bust them instead. Brady wouldn't have had his integrity called into question by simply playing the game the way it was suppose to. This is such a minor thing but its a bigger offense because of the cover up etc...and then on top we all have to have the lynch mob mentality of "getting" the Patriots....or "getting" Brady. This isn't going to affect his legacy but yes its a black eye on him personally because he had 3 chances to do the right thing...firstly not do it (or stop it)...secondly admit to it...and thirdly cooperate with the investigation. I'm not going to get in here in and make a big deal about what should be done etc. If Brady misses the ring ceremony on opening day I'm sure that is punishment enough because I don't want to get into what if scenerios....point was the games were played and the Pats beat ALL comers. They are the Champs...Brady is a 4 time SB champion and nothing is going to change that...or should. I understand teams feelings of wanting to play on an even playing field and that wasn't the case but fact is sports aren't really an even playing field. It's not played in a vaccum...so you just have to overcome some adversity or make the plays to become a champion....ala Tom Brady and Butler did in the SB. Its a dissappointing situation...to what I would say has been a really good guy. We fall...we all do....now lets hope he gets up!

i guess you missed when they were calling for the colts to lose picks and be punished on the field for irsays DUI.  under inflated balls bring a significant advantage on the field, and for that they should be punished.

It's official. I have now witnessed the greatest display of blind denial, portrayed through a filter of "be right at all costs", and delivered with deflection, content manipulation, along with carefully inserted jabs in return. It is quite professional. Ironically, this behavior is exactly what we are discussing.

After reading once again through the rules here, there is nothing being violated......but I can sure as heck feel when that is happening. 

just knowing that we didn't do anything wrong makes me happy i hate the patriots more than probably most here and i feel like just knowing we did the right thing in bringing attention to a violation of NFL policy regardless of the offender and having our concerns proven likely is enough for me don't like the bashing of their team and their fans i've done it but we should be classier than that.

They will defend their team and I respect that alot if it was the colts I'd be looking everywhere for an excuse Example: someone told me Bob Sanders did PED's and to that i say no way he just did lots of push up and drank a lot of juice but to all patriot fans i say i wish you and your team the best you deserved the win and the trophy unfortunate circumstances aside

Now come week 6 i hope we have a great game but i think we get that W GO COLTS!!! :coltshelmet::lombardi::hat:

Let's talk about this for a second.

You're saying the NFL was less concerned about the integrity of the game than it was in catching the Patriots? If it's all about the integrity of the game, then why is it ok with any of you that the NFL allowed the entire first half of the AFC Championship Game to be played with the Patriots having an unfair advantage? 

Just trying to follow the logic here...

That's not what happened.  The ball was intercepted at 747pm with about 9 minutes left before halftime.  According ot the report, the NFL game officials in the boxes were notified and made their way to the colts sideline and received the intercepted ball at 8pm.  They went into the locker room and at about the time they were testing it, notified the officials to collect the footballs as the second quarter was just about to end shortly before 830.  So  the NFL didn't knowingly "allow" gain an unfair advantage, they planned to bring the other footballs in the locker room based on the tip.  But by the time they figured out the first ball was underinflated, the first half was ending according to the report.

Even if they knew that the Patriots ball was underinflated, the Patriots had only one more possession before halftime after said interception.

That's not what happened.  The ball was intercepted at 747pm with about 9 minutes left before halftime.  According ot the report, the NFL game officials in the boxes were notified and made their way to the colts sideline and received the intercepted ball at 8pm.  They went into the locker room and at about the time they were testing it, notified the officials to collect the footballs as the second quarter was just about to end shortly before 830.  So  the NFL didn't knowingly "allow" gain an unfair advantage, they planned to bring the other footballs in the locker room based on the tip.  But by the time they figured out the first ball was underinflated, the first half was ending according to the report.

Oh I know how it happened...I was just responding to the insinuation by the poster that the NFL was willing to let other issues go in order to catch the big fish. 

So what you are saying is, "Tom Brady should retire from the NFL and pursue politics." He needs to work on his poker face when he lies, but he will win in a landside.

Hey, I'm sure he would get votes too. If he ever became president, though, I think he would force Indiana and Maryland to secede from the States :P

Even if they knew that the Patriots ball was underinflated, the Patriots had only one more possession before halftime after said interception.

Gotta love how Patriots fans conveniently see only what they want to see.

Yep.  It's very commonly used in the professional world by lawyers, researchers, governments, etc.

You laugh........but it's true

My ex is an attorney.  It's the only way he talks.  "It's highly likely and probable that the children will be with you and Brent on Sunday.  And, it's more than possible that I will act like an *"  Yep.  Attorney speak.

Gotta love how Patriots fans conveniently see only what they want to see.

Well, dynasty said he was kinda plyaing devil's advocate.  I'll believe him.  I haven't seen any of his posts that were extremely objectionable.  AM on the other hand appears to be insisting that this was a sting operation and that the NFL should have tested the balls the second it found out the ball was underinflated, but instead knowingly allowed the patriots to play with the underinflated footballs for the entire first half.  But that's just a completely incorrect statement of fact - I don't even have to go to the Ted Wells report to know that.  The only way her statement can be true is if the NFL officials somehow knew that the balls were underinflated before kickoff, but after they were tested and found to be compliant.  

The reality is, the refs tested the footballs and gave their stamp of approval pre-game.  They shouldn't need to re-test them just before kickoff (maybe the game day rules will change so that they are, but the way it is now, it wasn't a requirement and is really overkill).  The underinflated football was noticed mid-second quarter, the refs did their due diligence and inspected it and found it to be noncompliant (in all likelihood, sometime during hte Patriot's last possession before half), and arrangements during this time were being made to inspect the rest of the footballs.  When exactly the noncompliance was confirmed is unknown, but it doesn't matter, by then, most of the first half was over, making AM's assertion unequivocally false.

For those saying this was a sting listen to the Tim Hasselback interview from mike and Mike this morning. He explained why it wasn't pretty well.

I missed that, Golic was very annoying about the whole thing though. I normally agree with him too.

Found it...

"McNally previously drew league scrutiny more than a decade ago, the report said, after Patriots ball boys relayed non-approved practice balls into an Oct. 25, 2004, game. There was actually no game on that day, but the Patriots beat the Jets 13-7 on Oct. 24, 2004.

At the time, McNally — then the Patriots' equipment manager — described the incident as "just an honest mistake," the report said.

But then-NFL director of game operations Peter Hadhazy wrote in a letter the Patriots had not provided a reasonable explanation for the incident and warned the team could face discipline if it happened again, the report said"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/05/06/deflategate-bill-belichick-tom-brady-underinflated-balls-robert-kraft-new-england-colts/22216585/

Found it...

"McNally previously drew league scrutiny more than a decade ago, the report said, after Patriots ball boys relayed non-approved practice balls into an Oct. 25, 2004, game. There was actually no game on that day, but the Patriots beat the Jets 13-7 on Oct. 24, 2004.

At the time, McNally — then the Patriots' equipment manager — described the incident as "just an honest mistake," the report said.

But then-NFL director of game operations Peter Hadhazy wrote in a letter the Patriots had not provided a reasonable explanation for the incident and warned the team could face discipline if it happened again, the report said"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/05/06/deflategate-bill-belichick-tom-brady-underinflated-balls-robert-kraft-new-england-colts/22216585/

Absolutely delicious......

Found it...

Hm....that's interesting

Found it...

5]"McNally previously drew league scrutiny more than a decade ago, the report said, after Patriots ball boys relayed non-approved practice balls into an Oct. 25, 2004, game. There was actually no game on that day, but the Patriots beat the Jets 13-7 on Oct. 24, 2004.

5]At the time, McNally — then the Patriots' equipment manager — described the incident as "just an honest mistake," the report said.

5]But then-NFL director of game operations Peter Hadhazy wrote in a letter the Patriots had not provided a reasonable explanation for the incident and warned the team could face discipline if it happened again, the report said"

5]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/05/06/deflategate-bill-belichick-tom-brady-underinflated-balls-robert-kraft-new-england-colts/22216585/

I'm sure the hoodie had no knowledge of that incident either. The patriot way

Honestly Superman, I don't care. I think the Pats could have done something and maybe for a long time back to 2006 BUT this whole thing has been the height of ridiculous. Remember we are talking about air pressure. A 25k fine by the book. And we have a title game played with what might have been non-compliant balls in which the refs were giving a heads up by Grigson the day before. Inexcusable. I am sorry. Inexcusable. Then this ridiculous 200+ page report (Ray Rice report was 95 pages btw) 100 days later. 100 days. And what we get is we think, probably, might have been aware... and then the ridiculous handling of the balls and the inconsistent gauging ... this is a complete joke. I do feel bad for Colts fans as I think you were robbed of a fair first half and that is the league's fault for not gauging before kick-off. And it stinks for the Pats because this report is bogus ...

I don't know why you think this is a 25K fine by the book.

This is a competitive advantage violation.    The league takes those as seriously as a heart attack.    I've shared with you in other posts -- that you've completely ignored -- that Bill Polian says this is a very serious violation.    And given penalties to other franchises lesser infractions, (Browns,  Falcson)  your view that this is a measly 25k fine "by the book" doesn't pass the sniff test at all.......   unless you live in complete denial....

This is a competitive advantage violation. The league takes those as seriously as a heart attack. I've shared with you in other posts -- that you've completely ignored -- that Bill Polian says this is a very serious violation. And given penalties to other franchises lesser infractions, (Browns, Falcson) your view that this is a measly 25k fine "by the book" doesn't pass the sniff test at all....... unless you live in complete denial....

She does

Absolutely delicious......

yeah, if this is true, then enough is enough.  That's 3 strikes.

League needs to do to NE what the NCAA did to Penn state:

Vacate all wins from earliest date of first ball altering(2004) including championships:

Coach and Owner Suspended 1 year each

TB suspended for 1 year.

20 million in salary cap reduction for 3 years.

Loss of 2016 draft pics...all 7.

No prime time games for 1 year

No post season for 3 years.

Put a stop to this once and for all.

Yes it is unfortunately common sense is not so common .

Where's that bottom SIG emoticon I used to have? Oh yeah, here it is ...

"Making sense is a lost art form! Making common sense is archaic!"

Likes to you Adonis1 & Gramz! outta-dem

Let's talk about this for a second.

You're saying the NFL was less concerned about the integrity of the game than it was in catching the Patriots? If it's all about the integrity of the game, then why is it ok with any of you that the NFL allowed the entire first half of the AFC Championship Game to be played with the Patriots having an unfair advantage? 

Just trying to follow the logic here...

They tested the balls before the start of the game.  What more were they supposed to do from that point?  Stop the game and check the ball every time there is a change of possession?

Do you get that, sometimes the only way to fully stop a wrongful activity is to bust those responsible in the act?

If the league tells them, "Hey, we're on to your little scam here," you do realize that they (any offender) would simply knock it off for that game and then go right back to it.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (The Borowitz Report) – In what football insiders are calling an unexpectedly severe punishment, the National Football League has sentenced the New England Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady to a year with the New York Jets for his role in the so-called Deflategate scandal.

The punishment drew howls of protest from Patriots fans and management, with many calling it the harshest in league history, but N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell defended the decision as “a necessary deterrent.”

“We need to send the message that this league has zero tolerance for cheating,” Goodell said. “We believe that a year of playing quarterback for the Jets sends that message loud and clear.”

Brady was reportedly in a state of shock when he heard the news of his punishment. He later met with reporters in a hastily called press conference during which he frequently seemed on the verge of tears.

“I am going to fight this decision with every fibre of my being,” Brady said. “This is America. You can’t force a person to play for the Jets.”

At a sports bar in Manhattan, the reaction to the impending arrival of the Jets’ longtime nemesis was muted. One Jets fan observed, “Look, Brady’s a *, but even he didn’t deserve this.”

I know that this is not logical, but I feel that since Grigson reported the deflated footballs to the league, the Colts should benefit from this in some way. 

I am hearing that Brady may be suspended for 2 or 4 games. This punishes NE and Brady, but we don't necessarily benefit from this. The Steelers and the Bills would benefit because they play NE in weeks 1 and 2. Again, these are AFC teams; it does not benefit us if they win against NE.

If Brady is suspended for 4 games, then the Jaguars would get the benefit of playing a Brady-less NE team and so would the Cowboys. The Colts would then get to play a P'd off Brady and NE team in their 5th game on Sunday in prime time. This, in no way benefits the Colts.

This is a competitive advantage violation.    The league takes those as seriously as a heart attack.    I've shared with you in other posts -- that you've completely ignored -- that Bill Polian says this is a very serious violation.    And given penalties to other franchises lesser infractions, (Browns,  Falcson)  your view that this is a measly 25k fine "by the book" doesn't pass the sniff test at all.......   unless you live in complete denial....

It's an incorrect recitation of the rulebook, anyway.  It says that anyone who alters the football will be "subject to discipline, including but not limited to, $25,000."  In other words, there's no penalty cap and it's not just limited to a monetary penalty.

I know that this is not logical, but I feel that since Grigson reported the deflated footballs to the league, the Colts should benefit from this in some way. 

I am hearing that Brady may be suspended for 2 or 4 games. This punishes NE and Brady, but we don't necessarily benefit from this. The Steelers and the Bills would benefit because they play NE in weeks 1 and 2. Again, these are AFC teams; it does not benefit us if they win against NE.

If Brady is suspended for 4 games, then the Jaguars would get the benefit of playing a Brady-less NE team and so would the Cowboys. The Colts would then get to play a P'd off Brady and NE team in their 5th game on Sunday in prime time. This, in no way benefits the Colts.

Uhh.. What if the Patriots lose all 4 of those games, plus a couple with Brady and they don't make the playoffs and the Colts do. That helps the Colts out a lot in my opinion. One less hurdle to jump during the playoffs.

They tested the balls before the start of the game.  What more were they supposed to do from that point?  Stop the game and check the ball every time there is a change of possession?

Do you get that, sometimes the only way to fully stop a wrongful activity is to bust those responsible in the act?

If the league tells them, "Hey, we're on to your little scam here," you do realize that they (any offender) would simply knock it off for that game and then go right back to it.

I believe this is what AM may have been talking about in terms of how notifying the before hand may have gone a long way in avoiding this whole thing. "As one league source with no connection to the present controversy explained it to PFT in January, past Commissioners like Paul Tagliabue would have informed the Patriots of the situation," Florio wrote, adding that Tagliabue would have "warned them that the NFL is paying attention, that the league reserves the right to check the air pressure in the footballs during the game, and that any funny business would be met with a decidedly unfunny reaction from the league office."

It doesn't in any way make what the Patriots did ok...but people tend to behave when they know they are being watched. Plus...since it is ALL about the integrity of the game...right? It seems the NFL did not do all they could to make sure everyone was on a level playing field. 

Report: “Everything” on the table regarding Tom Brady punishment

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 7, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

brady.jpg?w=250Getty Images

At the moment, the idea that the NFL is targeting poor Tom Brady in the DeflateGate investigation seems concentrated to a group of Patriots fans and/or Tom’s dad.

But it’s clear that the league is taking this one seriously.

As Florio pointed out this morning, a suspension of the Patriots quarterback seems unavoidable, as unlikely as that might seem on its face.

At the very least, it is being considered at the league level.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, a league source familiar with the disciplinary process said we shouldn’t dismiss the possibility that Brady might go away for a period of time.

Everything is being studied, everything is being considered,” the source said (emphasis Armando’s, not mine).

The league has gone hard on the crime-and-punishment from since being embarrassed by the Ray Rice debacle, as players such as Greg Hardy can attest.

But to suspend the starting quarterback of the defending Super Bowl champions (who kick off the season on national television) would be a huge move.

Of course, conspiring to break the rules of the game, and not cooperating with an investigation would be considered a huge lapse as well.