Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeflateGate: Brady suspension expected (mega merge / updated)

HtownColt

It's awesome, like a psychologists fascination talking with totally delusional people to try & understand mental illness & insanity... 

I know.. I'm sitting here laughing, then she says that and I'm just lost for words haha

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sitting here reading through the report and this little tidbit can't serve to make Goodell or the league happy...

At various points in the investigation, counsel for the Patriots questioned the integrity and objectivity of game officials, various NFL executives and certain NFL Security representatives present at the AFC Championship Game or otherwise involved in the investigative process.

That.  Is not good.

I skipped to page 32 of the thread because I knew the beginning would just be AM arguing with people....and she is still arguing with people.

The Pats are who we thought they were

It's like everyone forgets that he was commissioner during the period of time in which the NFL committed infractions that would eventually form the basis for a $1 Billion class action lawsuit related to head trauma.  Goodell might not be popular, but you don't see him going around saying repeated hits to the head while playing football doesn't cause brain damage.

In fact, when the league institutes changes to reduce head trauma, Goodell is accused of trying to ruin the game. The dude isn't the most likable, and seems to have all the personality and appeal of a soggy graham cracker, but I sometimes feel sorry for him. He really can't win. Meanwhile, people cozy up to the fond memories of his predecessor like life was grand pre-Goodell. 

I skipped to page 32 of the thread because I knew the beginning would just be AM arguing with people....and she is still arguing with people.

yep, 13,000 posts by her and i bet 97% are arguments....

The early part of the thread is where the Pats fans were still debating whether to show up... ;)

J/K Pats fans, J/K

So you're telling me that sometime between 6:32:27 when McNally came out of the bathroom with the game balls, and 6:50 when the game started (the game that had already been postponed by ten minutes for TV), the refs were supposed to retest all 24 game balls?

Just adding on to this, the crew -- specifically Coleman -- intended to keep the footballs in his possession and under his supervision until they reached the field. That's clear from his reaction when the balls were suddenly nowhere to be found. Between the time the balls went missing to kickoff, there was no time to retest the balls, and Coleman previously had no intention to retest the balls prior to kickoff. If not for McNally sneaking them away to deflate them, there would have been no reason to do so.

Sitting here reading through the report and this little tidbit can't serve to make Goodell or the league happy...

That.  Is not good.

The independent investigation says they found no evidence of bias against the Pats. I think that turns out pretty well for the league in the eyes of anyone who isn't partial to the Pats.

In fact, when the league institutes changes to reduce head trauma, Goodell is accused of trying to ruin the game. The dude isn't the most likable, and seems to have all the personality and appeal of a soggy graham cracker, but I sometimes feel sorry for him. He really can't win. Meanwhile, people cozy up to the fond memories of his predecessor like life was grand pre-Goodell. 

literally lol'ed at soggy graham cracker.  You've got a serious talent for metaphors similar to that one.  Don't know if there's a career for that talent, but if there were, you'd be a game changer.  

It's awesome, like a psychologists fascination talking with totally delusional people to try & understand mental illness & insanity... 

Its like a train wreck. I can't turn away. If Brady stuck a stick in someones ear, there would be a slant in which it was justified, improperly reported, or "not a big deal". Heck, even sane Pats fans are amazed at this stance. 

Where the heck is Snowglobe and Viriludent?

The independent investigation says they found no evidence of bias against the Pats. I think that turns out pretty well for the league in the eyes of anyone who isn't partial to the Pats.

I meant that it isn't good for the Patriots to have their counsel question the integrity and objectivity of game officials and league executives. 

I find it ironic after the Patriots beat the Ravens and after the Ravens criticized the illegal substitution plays, Brady said, "Maybe those guys gotta study the rulebook and figure it out..."

Study the rulebook? I suppose PSI levels aren't in the rules? What about the part of impeding an investigation (ie. refusing to turn over the cellphone), or being honest to reporters?

Did anyone even read the article i posted about how Damning the phrase "more probable than not" is in terms of the NFL about an hour ago? or did it get washed away by those 3 arguing?....lol

(oh well, I thought it was informative ^^)

I saw it. Something I found telling is from Goodell's comments back in 2008 when he basically said 'we're not going to allow people to cheat and get away with it.' Florio's article that you posted traces back to this: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/06/AR2008030603654.html

"Too often, competitive violations have gone unpunished because conclusive proof of the violation was lacking," Goodell wrote. "I believe we should reconsider the standard of proof to be applied in such cases, and make it easier for a competitive violation to be established. And where a violation is shown, I intend to impose more stringent penalties on both the club and the responsible individual(s). I will also be prepared to make greater use of draft choice forfeiture in appropriate cases. I believe this will have the effect of deterring violations and making people more willing to report violations on a timely basis."

In your link, Florio says:

Although there was nothing easy about the Wells investigation, his decision that a preponderance of the evidence points to a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules gives Goodell the green light to impose discipline.

Still, the use of the term “more probable than not” takes some of the sting out of the finding by allowing non-lawyers to believe that, as Patriots owner Robert Kraft has always said, there was no hard evidence of cheating. When it comes to issues of this nature, hard evidence isn’t needed to justify a stringent punishment.

I happen to think Florio is a pot-stirring windbag. I can't stand him. When it comes to "sports media," he and Skip Bayless are the first two on my anti-Mt. Rushmore. (Mt. Flushmore?) But he does have a law degree, and likely has a good idea about what he's talking about here.

I happen to think Florio is a pot-stirring windbag. I can't stand him. When it comes to "sports media," he and Skip Bayless are the first two on my anti-Mt. Rushmore. (Mt. Flushmore?) But he does have a law degree, and likely has a good idea about what he's talking about here.

Totally agree with every aspect of this statement regarding Florio.

I saw it. Something I found telling is from Goodell's comments back in 2008 when he basically said 'we're not going to allow people to cheat and get away with it.' Florio's article that you posted traces back to this: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/06/AR2008030603654.html

In your link, Florio says:

This is what Florio things about the punishment that may be coming,

Browns, Falcons may set precedent for Patriots punishment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/06/browns-falcons-may-set-precedent-for-patriots-punishment/

This is what Florio things about the punishment that may be coming,

Browns, Falcons may set precedent for Patriots punishment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/06/browns-falcons-may-set-precedent-for-patriots-punishment/

I saw that yesterday. Makes sense, except for the part that what the Falcons did was worse than what the Pats did. Tampering with balls >>> piping in noise

Did anyone even read the article i posted about how Damning the phrase "more probable than not" is in terms of the NFL about an hour ago? or did it get washed away by those 3 arguing?....lol

(oh well, I thought it was informative ^^)

I have mentioned this like 5 times in this thread.... the doubters apparently are incapable of reading about it.

I saw that yesterday. Makes sense, except for the part that what the Falcons did was worse than what the Pats did. Tampering with balls >>> piping in noise

Yeah, he raises good points. I think the infractions are about the same BUT the Pats have a previous history so that may come into play which he notes ...

I have been surprised at all the support for the Pats and Brady. Perhaps people are just sick of it already and have moved on ...

Here is my feeling on this.

The report itself will do little to change the mind of many who formed their opinion on Day 1 of the investigation. There are people on both sides of the argument with very strong opinions and we were all waiting for proof one way or the other. The problem with the report is that it left just enough for each side to continue that same argument by using terminology like 'more probable than not'...it leaves that little bit for it's defenders to cling to because in the end, still, nothing was proven. And this is why I think it will be difficult to punish.

Do I think Brady knew about this and was involved? Yes I do...but the fact that he didnt hand his phone over isnt what makes me believe that. That isn't proof. Unfortunately the report stopped just short of actually saying that he did it, and that is what makes it difficult to punish. I will be very surprised if there is any type of suspension...a fine maybe, but how do you suspend a player for 'probably' doing something?

I'm not too sure if you've actually read the wells report; I was pretty bored last night in bed and actually managed to read close to 90 pages of it.... From what I gathered; Brady is 99.9% guilty and had a full awareness; it's just very hard for Wells to prove without Brady's cell phone records. The records between McNally and JJ (John however you spell his last name) talked a lot bout brady "not liking the balls" in other games (seems like this was going on throughout the season) as this was in reference to a Jets game; and how they jokingly we're going to inflate the balls into a balloon. And to hurt his "passer rating" it was also acknowledged that JJ was recievjng some sort of compensation; (new shoes) as they made many jokes how he was getting new shoes and how McNally was doing it for nothing. Also mentioned theirs messages between JJ and JJ's mom on how JJ recieved the 50,000 yard record gameball from Tom Brady and had it signed. Couple days later it was reported that the gameballand gameworn jersey was in the HOF, and JJ sent out couple texts saying "if only the NFL knew" and jokingly saying "I wonder If the jersey is real too". It's also known Tom Brady texted JJ after acknowledging about the "deflate gate" and meeting with him in his qb office. Also in the wells report it says brady was very pleased with the balls in the AFC championship game, and wanted to give JJ enough time to get ready for the super bowl.

There's a lot more but these were just some important facts I gathered up. Seems to me brady is almost as I said 99.9% guilty and would be surprised if not suspended

Polian yesterday said that as you get closer to white lines on the field, cheating is a bigger deal, and this in fact was between the white lines making it worse!

Takes me back to the bounty scandal; although not cheating in essence, it was still between the white lines and look at the punishments that were given out to the staff as well as players

Everywhere. Journalists, talking heads, even the governor of NJ Chris Christie. The haters are all out but I have been surprised at the support too.

I haven't seen or heard any support from national sports guys. Even Cowherd is calling for 4 games for Brady

I just realized something the texts the Wells report has are from OCT 2014 , This did'nt just happen for the first time ..

Has anyone else noticed that ?   half way thru the regular season when did it start ?

Patriot fans say you were blown out in the second half with inflated balls you never had a chance IMO , The Patriots did'nt belong in the playoffs in the first place .

If in Oct texts exist that prove deflation we can now see a pattern that cannot be denied .

First its no we did'nt , Then its well in the AFC you did'nt have a chance in the second half , to its been since atleast Oct .

How can onyone say the Integrity of the game was not harmed repeatedly ...

I don't think anyone should continue to interact with amfootball until she answers the single most important question that she has been asked repeatedly.  

amfootball - you are dodging the question.  

DO YOU believe that Tom Brady is guilty or innocent of the accusations?

Everywhere. Journalists, talking heads, even the governor of NJ Chris Christie. The haters are all out but I have been surprised at the support too.

Most of any support for brady/NE right now that I have seen has came out of the teams area...and that would be expected.  Generally a teams area of influence is slightly biased.