Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

mewhort, moncrief, or newsome

CR91

Tough decision really. I think Mewhort will be a very good lineman for the colts during his career. Newsome is a natural pass rusher but has some guy named Mathis ahead of him so he has to improve against the run to take the other spot. Moncrief has a ton of talent and will get more PT this season with Nicks gone and Reggies age. My guess would be Newsome and Mewhort a close second. Moncrief will have good numbers though.

moncrief.  mewhort doesnt have a ton of room to improve imo.  hes a solid guard that doesnt have a big upside or anything.  its hard to say with newsome, if i had to guess now i wouldnt be surprised to see him play a similar role to the one he played this year.

if i could choose i would pick newsome, since pass rushers are that important.  between moncrief and carter though, one of the two, at least will get plenty of chances to be somebody in this league.  the ceiling on both looks to be good #2 WR.

I don't think Mewhort has much of a leap to make. He is a really solid lineman. He has been exactly what we needed him to be. Moncrief should make a big leap statistically if he takes over from Reggie as #2. I think Newsome could be big but we will see next season how he does with less blitzing.

Mewhort has been really solid all in all, he needs to work on pulling though. The other 2 have potential to make bigger gains, as both flashed big time talent but haven't yet been consistent performers like Mewhort.

I'm not sure Newsome is that good...what you saw may be it.

Moncrief has big number potential and he will getting there this season

Perfectly reasonable thing to say about a very good rookie season in which he got better throughout.

I think all three of them make a jump and hopefully do. I think Moncrief makes the biggest jump tho. I believe he can be a superstar in this league with Luck throwing to him and Hilton on the other side for many years to come. And I think he flashed that potential many times this year.

I hope that Mewhort adds the most as we really need that monster oline. In saying that, I believe the guy with the biggest ceiling will be Moncreif and we may see more out of him this year but I'd expect year 3 to be his breakout year.

That leaves Newsome as the guy I see this season adding another dimension to his pass rushing skill set and maybe learn to diagnose the plays better and be able to play that run spot better.

There is plenty of room for improvement in Mewhort. Have you seen him try to pull? He gets too upright at times and could do better at getting to the second level. I think he has potential to be a very good G. I think that is where he should stay but I wander if we look at him at RT.

Newsome probably has the most room to grow but it will be interesting to see if we bring in an OLB via FA. When will Mathis be back and how effective will he be? I think there are question marks around Newsome's playing time for numerous reasons. I do think he will continue to grow and be effective. He even showed signs vs the run.

Moncrief  is my answer to the question based on increased playing time, teams having to account for TY and Luck at the controls.  I would love for him to use his size and speed and become a monster. He is 6'2 220 with 4.4 speed. It is hard not to bet on that.

If Newsome works on his run defense, he could really make a big jump towards being an all around great player. 

If Moncrief works on route running, and catching with his hands, I think he will make the biggest jump. 

I think Mewhort is pretty solid for a rookie, he just needs to work on his footwork and pulling. 

moncrief. mewhort doesnt have a ton of room to improve imo. hes a solid guard that doesnt have a big upside or anything. its hard to say with newsome, if i had to guess now i wouldnt be surprised to see him play a similar role to the one he played this year.

if i could choose i would pick newsome, since pass rushers are that important. between moncrief and carter though, one of the two, at least will get plenty of chances to be somebody in this league. the ceiling on both looks to be good #2 WR.

Id say Mewhort has plenty of ceiling in his game to grow. They took a rookie and put him in at LG when he wasn't expected to start at the beginning of the season and all he did was hold down a solid place on the line. And then, once the RT went down, at least for one game, they moved him over to that spot and he did an admirable job. I think he would have stayed there had they had a player they felt could have done equally as well in the LG spot as Mewhort had. I think he will end up our best guard and maybe top oline player soon

who do you see making the biggest jump in year 2

I would say biggest jump Moncrief, but ironically overall the weakest player still!  He will be included alot more in the offense, if Reggie and Hakeem are gone, therefore he will make the biggest jump.  However,  Mewhort will continue to get better and be even more of an asset to our weak OL.  Ultimately though, I believe Newsome will be the best, solely because I think the staff will continue to give him more reps and will at least match his sack total from this past year.  I believe he made the biggest jump this season for rookies, and he set the bar really high for himself, so that's why I don't think it would be Newsome, but Moncrief.

I would say Moncrief. He has everything Hilton has and he's a lot bigger at 6'3". Once he puts on a little more muscle and gets sharper in his routes, he could make a case for being the number 1 receiver on the Colts.

It's funny sometimes how short people sell Moncrief by saying he's just an unproven number 2. His ceiling is extremely high.

Moncrief. . . 

He likely goes into next season as the #2. . . so he's a starter where he was only a rotational player before.  So the number of snaps he plays will drastically increase.

Newsome however goes into next season likely behind Robert Mathis.  So his playing time will likely remain the same.  

Mewhort's playing time will not change.  He was a starter the whole season and will remain so next year.

So I think Moncrief's improvement will be noticed the most and he will be considered to be the most improved.

I don't think Mewhort has much of a leap to make. He is a really solid lineman. He has been exactly what we needed him to be. Moncrief should make a big leap statistically if he takes over from Reggie as #2. I think Newsome could be big but we will see next season how he does with less blitzing.

I don`t think Mewhort has the capacity to make a jump. He is too tall and doesn`t have that thick lower trunk to ever be able to get the needed leverage to drive block. Mix in his SlooooW feet and you have a career of pull problems. Ugh!

The guy seems gritty and won`t quit, and does latch on ok in pass blocking. A bad bad draft pick. lol

I would easily expect positive improvement from all three. Assuming they stay healthy

Mewhort will be the left guard for years to come

Moncrief needs to use his height to more of an advantage and is learning the game quickly, second year for him should be big

Newsome had a great rookie year and i see him splitting time at DE and getting a lot of reps on passing situation