Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson didn't travel with the team to New England (Merge)

Superman

You are omitting stats to back your comment up. There are other things to consider than YPC. Did you look at the catches and what those averages were? Have you considered his blocking ability? I will give you the fact he is not a good runner but far from the worst in history.

So what you're saying is a running back who has the second worst running stats in the history of the NFL is not one of the worst in history because he's good at other stuff?

That's like saying a Wide Receiver who can't catch is still good because he's a great route runner.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I typically try to avoid Jim Irsay tweets on average, but if Jim has finally seen "the light" better late than never. I could see Jim accompanying that tweet with a link to that Who song though. Jim's clever that way. 

Was that in I or II because I only really liked Rocky III & IV with Apollo Creed vs Mick in them as Balboa's trainer? But, I digress. IMO concentratithon was not Trent's problem productivity was. He tried. He just wasn't good enough & he had plenty of time to prove himself.   

It was in II. Adrian had their little boy and slipped in the coma, Rocky had been kinda farting around and Mick was ready to give up on him leading up to that. When Adrian "came to" out of it that's when she whispered "win" and Rocky finally got his rear in gear. I told my daughter in the beginning of the year that Trent looked "overweight and slow" to me. He needs to reinvent himself if he wants any shot from here at an NFL career. Too bad for him and the Colts for giving up what they did to get him. Cant say they didn't give him every opportunity and support during the process. Kinda sucks    

Here are Trent's stats for his year with Cleveland.

15 games,  267 carries,  51 receptions.    That's 318 touches.     Basically,  21 a game.

I doubt he had many games of 25-30 touches.

Also, he didn't get a "billion" carries in Alabama.   The Tide does a timeshare at RB,  splitting carries/touches among two and sometimes three RB's.

The Browns may have a pretty good o-line,  but they don't have a QB.   And when the other team knows you're the primary weapon,  it's less difficult to defend you.

And remember,  Jim Brown works for Cleveland.   He's not likely to say something good about a player going out the door...

Unfortunately,   Trent has gotten even worse in his time at Indy than he was at Cleveland.    If we had gotten the Trent from Cleveland,  he might still be playing and getting decent touches.    But he's not even that good (bad).    This has been very disappointing.

att   yds  avg          TD  rec  yds  avg

2012 Cleveland Browns  15  15  267  950  3.6  32T  11    51  367  7.2  27  1  3  0

The comments made by Brown were before the Browns even drafted him. He said he didn't see anything extraordinary about Richardson. But the Trent that was on the Browns and the Trent on the Colts are exactly the same. People just refuse to acknowledge he was ever good. Ask any Browns fans (the smart ones who actually no football, not casual fans) and they'll tell you the same. There is no "he got worse here". He just got exposed here. You have to give him huge holes and at least 20 touches for him to even be decent. Put the numbers in perspective

20 touches X 3.6 YPC=72 yds a game X 15 games=1,080 yds. That's not much more than the numbers you have, but that is terrible for a number 3 overall pick who was hyped as the next AP. And considering there were probably a few games where he got about 25  touches, that's worse. Most backs can get that type of production with 15 carries.

Let's stop with the damage control and just say that he is a bust.

Word from Wells and Doyle is trent missed the walk through due to a very serious family emergency. He should have still let the Colts know but assuming that's true it's not the samething as quiting on the team. He's done as a Colt but I hope his family emergency works out for him.

If I am the Colts, I may never use another draft pick on a RB.  The Herrons and Tiptons of the world are just fine.  In recent years, they have used three 1st rounders on RBs, and outside of Addai's first two seasons, have gotten very little out of any of them.  Addai was perpetually injured.   Brown dropped to, what, 3rd or 4th on the depth chart?  Richardson?  A healthy scratch. 

Trent Richardson told @MikeWellsNFL: "I'm dealing with a very serious family emergency. I'm still at the hospital. I wouldn't purposely just miss walk through."

It's a legit excuse if true. Family first.

I'm just not happy he didn't notify the coaches beforehand.

We should have all seen this coming, but a lot of people were fooled. The writing was on the wall though

1. He came out of the same system as Ingram who has been a bust as well

2. Huge holes at Alabama+got a billion carries

3. Jim Brown said there was nothing special about him

4. Had a low YPC with the Browns

5. Got 25-30 touches a game his rookie year

6. Browns have a pretty good O-line

He was probably never that good to begin with. People need to stop with all this "He's not a fit here" and "He catches and blocks really well". Trent just isn't that good, just like Jamarcus Russell wasn't good. He is a "bust" in every sense of the word.

I don't see how he'll be back on the roster next season.

that sums it up perfectly! there was only a handful of posters along with me that didn't like the trade from the start, and one was a browns fan that was attacked relentlessly by posters that are clearly wrong now. grigson made a great trade for vonte, but some really bad ones also. having luck has covered up a lot of mistakes he has made in trades. jerry hughes would look pretty nice in a colts uniform.

do you think the chargers wold trade donald brown for trent? he didn't play well for sd and makes a lot of money. problem for problem trade? i would do it in a heart beat, even throw in a low draft pick!

that sums it up perfectly! there was only a handful of posters along with me that didn't like the trade from the start, and one was a browns fan that was attacked relentlessly by posters that are clearly wrong now. grigson made a great trade for vonte, but some really bad ones also. having luck has covered up a lot of mistakes he has made in trades. jerry hughes would look pretty nice in a colts uniform.

do you think the chargers wold trade donald brown for trent? he didn't play well for sd and makes a lot of money. problem for problem trade? i would do it in a heart beat, even throw in a low draft pick!

Brown wasn't traded to the chargers

Hopefully this isn't just sore feelings about his lack of a role with the team - really hate to think this action is intentional with the hope that it will be any sort of a distraction!

DUH KRavitz - IF I had a family emergency the last thing on my mind would be I better go to walkthrough and if not I better stop what I am doing and tell them I wont be there ... stir the pot bobby.

Hopefully this isn't just sore feelings about his lack of a role with the team - really hate to think this action is intentional with the hope that it will be any sort of a distraction!

DUH KRavitz - IF I had a family emergency the last thing on my mind would be I better go to walkthrough and if not I better stop what I am doing and tell them I wont be there ... stir the pot bobby.

If it's anything short of an immediate family member being on death's door, he has no excuse. This isn't a job manning a gas station register. 

If it really was an emergency with his mother if I was him I wouldn't have football on my mind either only thing on my mind would be getting to her TRich is also a very kind and good guy

What would you constitute as an emergency? 

Somebody better be in serious peril, that's all I'll say about it. Imagine if Luck did this? We wouldn't have a chance. This isn't like a typical job. Missing a few days of work for most of us doesn't translate to disappointing millions of people. Trent is [was] extremely lucky to find himself a Colt after we consider what team drafted him. He is considerably lucky to have had an opportunity to play in an NFL championship game. 

He is a young man trying to build a legacy and what he did here, the decision he made, he will regret it 45 years from now. 

What would you constitute as an emergency?

Somebody better be in serious peril, that's all I'll say about it. Imagine if Luck did this? We wouldn't have a chance. This isn't like a typical job. Missing a few days of work for most of us doesn't translate to disappointing millions of people. Trent is [was] extremely lucky to find himself a Colt after we consider what team drafted him. He is considerably lucky to have had an opportunity to play in an NFL championship game.

He is a young man trying to build a legacy and what he did here, the decision he made, he will regret it 45 years from now.

if us as fans care more about a game then we do the safety of the players themselves and their loved ones then we are sick. So what if Luck did this if his father mother sibling or any close family member were to be in danger I wouldn't care one but if he left us in this game. Say one our players finds out something is seriously wrong with a loved one and they decide not to go and just play the game. How do you or anyone know that wouldn't be the last time he could see that person? Life and family mean way more then a game

The comments made by Brown were before the Browns even drafted him. He said he didn't see anything extraordinary about Richardson. But the Trent that was on the Browns and the Trent on the Colts are exactly the same. People just refuse to acknowledge he was ever good. Ask any Browns fans (the smart ones who actually no football, not casual fans) and they'll tell you the same. There is no "he got worse here". He just got exposed here. You have to give him huge holes and at least 20 touches for him to even be decent. Put the numbers in perspective

20 touches X 3.6 YPC=72 yds a game X 15 games=1,080 yds. That's not much more than the numbers you have, but that is terrible for a number 3 overall pick who was hyped as the next AP. And considering there were probably a few games where he got about 25  touches, that's worse. Most backs can get that type of production with 15 carries.

Let's stop with the damage control and just say that he is a bust.

I have no problem calling him a bust.   I've said it in a number of posts in various threads.

I'll challenge the idea that the Trent we have is the Trent the Browns had.    He's not.    He's not close to the same guy.

And I'll post video of Trent as a Brown,  and you'll see that Indy has never had THAT Trent Richardson.    I don't know why,  but we haven't.

Here's the video of Trent in his rookie year:    We never got that guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPePybIEkbM

I also don't think he's among the worst RB's of all-time as another poster here claims.

You're free to disagree....    but I don't think it's a big deal...  at this point,  I don't expect him back next year.

if us as fans care more about a game then we do the safety of the players themselves and their loved ones then we are sick. So what if Luck did this if his father mother sibling or any close family member were to be in danger I wouldn't care one but if he left us in this game. Say one our players finds out something is seriously wrong with a loved one and they decide not to go and just play the game. How do you or anyone know that wouldn't be the last time he could see that person? Life and family mean way more then a game

Don't get me wrong, I get that. Sure, if we're talking imminent peril, than yes. If we're talking a more benign medical issue, than Trent has no excuse. He effectively destroyed his career over this, so I hope it's important. 

This isn't about 1 game. It's about Trent's legacy as an NFL player and it's been destroyed. Some players get it, others don't. I've seen numerous players take the field after losing loved ones the day before, 9 month pregnant wives at home etc etc, the list is long. 

I don't believe Trent. He gives me the creeps, like that employee many of us have had that just always has some "emergency" come up. You know the guy, whose grandmother has died 3 times already. 

Don't get me wrong, I get that. Sure, if we're talking imminent peril, than yes. If we're talking a more benign medical issue, than Trent has no excuse. He effectively destroyed his career over this, so I hope it's important.

This isn't about 1 game. It's about Trent's legacy as an NFL player and it's been destroyed. Some players get it, others don't. I've seen numerous players take the field after losing loved ones the day before, 9 month pregnant wives at home etc etc, the list is long.

I don't believe Trent. He gives me the creeps, like that employee many of us have had that just always has some "emergency" come up. You know the guy, whose grandmother has died 3 times already.

I like Trent and think he's a good dude and I understand playing after but not if you have a chance to see them

Yea it's a job where he plays a kid game for a living

OK? 

A "kids game" with countless millions of dollars and careers at stake, where an entire city and millions of people are counting on you to do your job. A painfully rare, unique opportunity to secure yourself and your [future] family's financial freedom. I'm only missing a beat if an immediate family member may die.