Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will BB use trick formation again?

Ken S.

During Tom Brady's press conference after the BAL game, he was asked about the "trick" formation play that they used. He answered the question the same way every other PAT player and coach did, by saying it was a legal play. But he said something at the end that stood out to me that I'm not sure if anyone else caught. He said, "I'm sure we'll have something new next week," with a slight smirk on his face. So my question is, do you think BB will use this play again or some slight variation of it? Also, do you think our coaching staff have our players practicing and preparing for it? I think Pagano may have our entire coaching staff reading through the rules book again, trying to find any loophole BB may try to use.

During Tom Brady's press conference after the BAL game, he was asked about the "trick" formation play that they used. He answered the question the same way every other PAT player and coach did, by saying it was a legal play. But he said something at the end that stood out to me that I'm not sure if anyone else caught. He said, "I'm sure we'll have something new next week," with a slight smirk on his face. So my question is, do you think BB will use this play again or some slight variation of it? Also, do you think our coaching staff have our players practicing and preparing for it? I think Pagano may have our entire coaching staff reading through the rules book again, trying to find any loophole BB may try to use.

I'm sure we'll see some variation of it and other trick plays as well as Pagano too. It'll be okay.

There's already an article written on ESPN.com about this issue.  Pagano has already made calls and gotten info on the issue even before we played the Broncos because he was concerned the Broncos would try to copy the same thing.   It's already old news to Chuck.

If anything, the former QB Edelman passing like Antwan Randle-El is the most likely trick play to be re-used or even a flea flicker.

If the Patriots are running the ball effectively I could see a flea flicker.  Pagano said he is preparing and will be ready for BB tricks, so I don't know if he the Patriots will pull anything out of their sleeves, but if they're in desperation mode, anything is possible.  That's why they did the WR pass against the Ravens, they were desperate.

I think the Colts have some tricks of their own.  I could easily see a fake fg early on if we are down.  They already came out and said we cant kick fg's, we must score TD's.  McAfee has been sly all year long.  The punt pass was unfortunate, but executed well.  Maybe even an end around with Moncrief throwing to TY or Hakeem?  Whatever the case, I love the agressive playcalling by Pep last week.  He also knew when to be conservative!

BB will have something up his sleeve, no doubt. I mean, love him or hate him, he's the greatest HC there has ever been and you have to respect that. 

He is also the reason I'm balding at 34    :hairout:

No, Respectively disagree with you.

What he did vs Ravens last week,though within the Rules was bushleague. He got CAUGHT CHEATING years ago. No one respects Arod or Barry Bonds for "cheating" by taking steroids.

Why is he given a free pass? I hope Pagano does the same thing(weird formation) and their D only has a couple seconds notification to adjust.

I could see US using the trick formations.  Plenty of time for us to implement it...and if we are practicing handling it on D anyways, we might as well run a few offensive plays out of those formations.  If we do something different than they did with it, we could fool them.

I think the Colts have some tricks of their own.  I could easily see a fake fg early on if we are down.  They already came out and said we cant kick fg's, we must score TD's.  McAfee has been sly all year long.  The punt pass was unfortunate, but executed well.  Maybe even an end around with Moncrief throwing to TY or Hakeem?  Whatever the case, I love the agressive playcalling by Pep last week.  He also knew when to be conservative![/quot

If Whalen was on the roster he has a real good arm

Here is the deal about BB and his genius tag.  He is great at knowing when to call these things, he doesn't come up with them, they are all retreads of someone else's idea, Knowing when is the right time to call them is the skill he possesses in spades.

How many super bowl wins does he have since he was caught?

I will give you a hint, it's the same number of wins he has without A.V.

There's already an article written on ESPN.com about this issue.  Pagano has already made calls and gotten info on the issue even before we played the Broncos because he was concerned the Broncos would try to copy the same thing.   It's already old news to Chuck.

I heard talk that the issue more than anything was whether the defense should be allowed to substitute because of the formation, using one less linemen. More or less the formation used was done so to confuse the defense. If you prepare for the formation and know that the receiver is ineligible then they are basically playing your 11 with 10 and it shouldn't be an advantage for the offense.

Honestly he might try something new but I doubt he will try that again.  He has to know the Colts would be prepared to see something like that and defend it.  

The trick relies on simple confusion about the play and if you know about before hand you arn't as likely to be confused by it.  Without confusion it's no better then just a normal play. 

You can't re-use that play 1 game after you use it. . . they will be ready for it.  You have to wait a little bit, let it fade into history and people forget about it before you pull something like that out again.  

How many super bowl wins does he have since he was caught?

I will give you a hint, it's the same number of wins he has without A.V.

I'm a Pats fan and I was angry with Bill Belichick when the news about "spygate" broke. A number of current and former head coaches, however, essentially said "No big deal. Every team does the same thing in one form or another. The Patriots gained no advantage." I'm still angry that it happened, but the extent to which fans of other teams and some players on other teams still bring it up is laughable when you consider that the Patriots' winning percentage after "spygate" is better than before. Number of Superbowl wins is a poor gauge of the quality of a team because in a one-and-done playoff, the best team will not always win, so not winning Superbowls since "spygate" doesn't at all prove that videotaping signals "worked."

The famous "memo" was sent out in 2006--well after the Patirots' championships in 2001, 2003, and 2004. Thus, all teams were free to videotape signals during that championship run and, according to many current and former head coaches, most did--even your beloved Colts, perhaps?

This topic makes me laugh. Just because how so many people are trying to make it seem like a bad thing that bill belichick outsmarts his opponents lol, ridiculous. Since when are trick plays a BAD thing? As long as they work.... Its like somebody getting mad you're beating them at a video game so they say you're cheating. 

This topic makes me laugh. Just because how so many people are trying to make it seem like a bad thing that bill belichick outsmarts his opponents lol, ridiculous. Since when are trick plays a BAD thing? As long as they work.... Its like somebody getting mad you're beating them at a video game so they say you're cheating. 

Not to mention all Harbaugh had to do was call timeout.  When you're a deer in headlights on the field pre-snap, you know something really bad wrong is about to happen.  Just call a freakin timeout.  Better waste a timeout than chance being playedl ike a fiddle by your opponent.

BB will have something up his sleeve, no doubt. I mean, love him or hate him, he's the greatest HC there has ever been and you have to respect that. 

He is also the reason I'm balding at 34    :hairout:

Oh lord.....

I don't know if he is the greatest, but he definitely gets more credit than any coach in history. Boomer Esiason's lips are surgically implanted on BB *.

Huh, what are you talking about? First off, where in my topic am I getting mad about anything? And please tell me where I tried to make it a bad thing that he used that play. The question is, do you think he was use the play again? And do you think we're preparing for it? Honestly, did you read the topic all the way through?

Huh, what are you talking about? First off, where in my topic am I getting mad about anything? And please tell me where I tried to make it a bad thing that he used that play. The question is, do you think he was use the play again? And do you think we're preparing for it? Honestly, did you read the topic all the way through?

No they won't. I predict first play will be in an I formation with LaFell and Edelman split wide with 2 TE. Brady goes back play action fake then bomb to LaFell or Edelman.

He will pull any and everything within and around the grey area to win. Can't really fault him for that. Hey, if the refs aren't going to call it mug the hell out of the relievers. It's the refs job to call the game. And nfl to enforce the rules

Huh, what are you talking about? First off, where in my topic am I getting mad about anything? And please tell me where I tried to make it a bad thing that he used that play. The question is, do you think he was use the play again? And do you think we're preparing for it? Honestly, did you read the topic all the way through?

Sorry for the misunderstanding..... I was talking in general when I wrote that post. I wasn't talking about you specifically....Its just what I've been seeing about this topic..... But no I don't think they will use the play again.. If anything they will probably try a new trick play that the colts might not see coming.