Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Support Bringing Rex Ryan in as DC?

Horseshoe

Would you support replacing Manusky with Rex Ryan if available?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support replacing Manusky with Rex Ryan?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will never understand this I don't care if our coach stands on the sidelines butt * naked if we are winning

It can get tiring with the veterans.  These guys are adult men; they aren't the young adults he was coaching at Stanford.  He needs to act more professionally.  A professionally acting head coach can make a big difference.  Just look at how Caldwell as made the Lions so much better than Schwartz.  I don't think it's because Caldwell is a great coach, but rather because Schwartz was a really bad one who acted immaturely, unprofessionally, and his team was undisciplined.

The scuttle is Ryan will go into broadcasting. I doubt he takes a DC job after being HC for six years. He will get a HC job again I think but probably not next year. No good job available either. If Pagano does go after next season, I could see Rex wanting to come to Indy and finally have a decent QB.

I want a coach with the kind of passion and energy to run half the length of the field to high five one of his guys when they make a play.

Rex Ryan is that.

Take him out of the NY spotlight, give him a diva-less locker room. He is an elite DC, and our D is almost purpose built to run his defense. Man Cover corners. Can stop the run. Blitz happy LBs.

Why the hell not?

This may be the recent loss emotions speaking but I think it may be time to clean house on defense.  

So I think I would support bringing Rex Ryan in.  

This loss certainly isn't all the fault of the defense, but against good quarterbacks it seems like our defense can't make a single stop until the other team decides to start taking it easy on us and run the clock while they are up by 40 points.  

I don't even like Rex Ryan but anyone who could get the defense to start taking care of business against competent quarterbacks.

Ive been saying this for a while and most here seem to disagree.  Professionals players shouldnt need an in-your-face, rip-you-a-new-ahole type coach to get motivated and fired up. But the continual hiring of "nice guys" on the coaching staff has developed a soft attitude for this organization. 

I'll cry if our coaching staff stays the same

Better get some tissues, nothing will change unless someone leaves for a different job.  Irsay is not going to fire a coach after leading the team to three 11-5 (potentially) seasons and two division titles.  It just isn't going to happen.  

With that being said do most of the fans really want Luck to have his third OC in four years next year?  Really?  That is not good for the entire offense to change so frequently.  

Face it the Colts just simply aren't talented enough on either side of the ball to be elite.  They have Luck, TY, Fleener, and.....????  Wayne is done, Nicks is not good enough, and Moncrief has the potential to be good.  They need a good RB and at least one good WR.  That doesn't even consider the offensive line or defense.  

Let's be real about Caldwell at Indy... we were stable and professional because of MANNING, not Caldwell.  In Detroit, they still have problems with selfish penalties and nonsense, as well as people like Suh and some others are in contract years. Caldwell may be a good guy, but I don't credit him with anything that happened while he was in Indy.  The 2-14 season indicated what would happen to the vaunted Colts, who still had many of the same players Manning had, without Manning behind center and leading the team.  

guess you love getting blown out our D isn't so bad that romo should torch us the way he did

Right.   I just loooooove getting blown out.    Thanks for that genius insight.

And you may get your wish.

But we have no pass rush.   Without Mathis we've been manufacturing one with lots of blitzing.   Sometimes it works,  and sometimes it doesn't.     And you saw what happens when it doesn't.    But we don't have much talent on that side of the ball.

Manusky has been working with smoke and mirrors all season.    If he pays the price,  then so be it.   But the front office hasn't given him much to work with.

And I haven't been saying that this week....   I've been saying that since I showed up here two and a half years ago.....

Right. I just loooooove getting blown out. Thanks for that genius insight.

But we have no pass rush. Without Mathis we've been manufacturing one with lots of blitzing. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And you saw what happens when it doesn't. But we don't have much talent on that side of the ball.

Manusky has been working with smoke and mirrors all season. If he pays the price, then so be it. But the front office hasn't given him much to work with.

And I haven't been saying that this week.... I've been saying that since I showed up here two and a half years ago.....

as I said the talent isn't so bad that we should get blown out the way we have with the steelers pats cowboys the broncos and eagles didnt completely destroy us there is a reason we have come out every game not ready and unprepared seems every game we go down 14-0

Right. I just loooooove getting blown out. Thanks for that genius insight.

But we have no pass rush. Without Mathis we've been manufacturing one with lots of blitzing. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And you saw what happens when it doesn't. But we don't have much talent on that side of the ball.

Manusky has been working with smoke and mirrors all season. If he pays the price, then so be it. But the front office hasn't given him much to work with.

And I haven't been saying that this week.... I've been saying that since I showed up here two and a half years ago.....

Look at Manusky's history.....Theres a reason he wasnt kept by chargers

Look at Manusky's history.....Theres a reason he wasnt kept by chargers

Are you under the impression that every successful coach has been successful everywhere he's been?

How about Pete Carroll?    Fired by New England.    Fired by the NY Jets.

How about Bill Belicheck.     Fired by Cleveland.

Lots of coaches fail before they succeed.

Let's be real about Caldwell at Indy... we were stable and professional because of MANNING, not Caldwell.  In Detroit, they still have problems with selfish penalties and nonsense, as well as people like Suh and some others are in contract years. Caldwell may be a good guy, but I don't credit him with anything that happened while he was in Indy.  The 2-14 season indicated what would happen to the vaunted Colts, who still had many of the same players Manning had, without Manning behind center and leading the team.  

Posts like this always make me laugh.  It shows a lack of understanding about NFL football and how important a good coach is.  A guy like Caldwell has been successful with three different NFL franchises but some still say he doesn't get credit for any of the successes.

Are you under the impression that every successful coach has been successful everywhere he's been?

How about Pete Carroll? Fired by New England. Fired by the NY Jets.

How about Bill Belicheck. Fired by Cleveland.

Lots of coaches fail before they succeed.

Agreed...and the cautionary flip side is that some never attain their previous success either.

I would bet my house that Dolphins fans were absolutely clamoring for Jimmy Johnson after Jerry threw him out of Dallas.

It was a match made in heaven, right?

Dan Marino at QB...Johnson's legacy at the "U" and his draft guru reputation....and he'd also settled himself and his fleet of yachts there in South Florida.

Perfect scenario, right?

<<<gameshow buzzer!!!!>>>

Jimmy rang up an 8-8, two 9-7s and a 10-6 at Miami. And this was well before New England established its AFC East stranglehold with Belichick and Brady.

There are no silver bullet answers to the Colts taking the next step.

It will take talent upgrades, quality depth for when injuries hit, plus coaching and the growth of the entire team and staff.

Now...can the coaching staff be tweaked in some spots? Sure it can....just as the roster needs adjustments.

But the idea that hiring Jim Harbaugh or Rex Ryan, two coaches ironically cut out of the same temperamental cloth as Jimmy Johnson, or the wholesale flushing of the entire staff is some sort of magic elixir for substandard talent where it exists on the Colts roster carries no guarantees whatsoever.

I actually wouldn't mind Rex Ryan as a head coach, just pair him with a good OC to run the offense and keep Ryan away from that part of the game.  Dungy was a defensive guru, but not much of an offensive mind and he did a great job here.  

As far as Ryan and Harbaugh being cut out of the same cloth, not really.  Both are very passionate, but Ryan doesn't seem to burn bridges to the ground with the front office.  He really hasn't had any major issues in New York, and the only reason he's probably done is his team's record.  

Yes but it won't happen. Rex is going to get HC offers.

Plus I don't see Pagano, Hamilton, or Manusky going anywhere.

Yeah unfortunately your probably right... much to my dismay. Pagano  to me is stubborn about making moves to better his team. He let's his personal feelings dictate to much.  As in A.Q shipley is a prime example. I don't think Pagano is fiery enough as well to motivate this team. This team needs a swift kick in the butt and I don't think he's the guy to do that. 

Ive been saying this for a while and most here seem to disagree.  Professionals players shouldnt need an in-your-face, rip-you-a-new-ahole type coach to get motivated and fired up. But the continual hiring of "nice guys" on the coaching staff has developed a soft attitude for this organization.

Nobody will admit to this but it comes down to this also nobody to light that fire maybe chuck but he can't do it alone

Word is Ryan wants another HC job or may go into broadcasting. Not sure if he will get a HC offer this year but I can see another team taking a chance on him just because he never had a quality QB in NY. If he had a good QB with his defense than I think he could be successful but I question whether he can develop a QB. Have to think he has learned a ton from his time in NY and will be better the next time around. His players love him and play hard from him even when they only have 3 wins. I think that would make him an attractive HC again.

Word is Ryan wants another HC job or may go into broadcasting. Not sure if he will get a HC offer this year but I can see another team taking a chance on him just because he never had a quality QB in NY. If he had a good QB with his defense than I think he could be successful but I question whether he can develop a QB. Have to think he has learned a ton from his time in NY and will be better the next time around. His players love him and play hard from him even when they only have 3 wins. I think that would make him an attractive HC again.

Well....let's think about this.

It's almost certain that Harbaugh is out in SF, Mike Smith is toast in Atlanta, Marc Trestman is done in Chicago and the Raiders of course need a new HC.

The only transplant, it sounds like, is maybe Harbaugh to the Bears if he doesn't go to Michigan.

So in addition to TV offers, Rex will have a couple HC options as early as this Tuesday that are preferable to the Colts DC job.

It's beyond a long shot that Rex Ryan is the Colts DC next year. I'm not sure why its even being discussed.