Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Support Bringing Rex Ryan in as DC?

Horseshoe

Would you support replacing Manusky with Rex Ryan if available?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support replacing Manusky with Rex Ryan?

• Yes
    • No

Let's be real about Caldwell at Indy... we were stable and professional because of MANNING, not Caldwell. In Detroit, they still have problems with selfish penalties and nonsense, as well as people like Suh and some others are in contract years. Caldwell may be a good guy, but I don't credit him with anything that happened while he was in Indy. The 2-14 season indicated what would happen to the vaunted Colts, who still had many of the same players Manning had, without Manning behind center and leading the team.

Caldwell was a puppet while he was here. I think those 2 years away from head coaching certainly helped him gain a better understanding of the game from a coordinator perspective, but I think the main difference between Caldwell's tenure here and what he's been able to do in Detroit is the coaching staff around him. He has 2 very talented coordinators on both sides of the ball, while also having the talent to execute his scheme. Polian didn't do a good job of acquiring talent his last few years here, which became glaringly obvious once Peyton got hurt and the coaches were put in a position to actually have to win without him. Poor situational awareness and a total lack of adjustments ultimately did him in here.

I see a lot of the same weaknesses in our current staff, to be honest. Our new QB just hasn't been hurt yet. Until he does, the wins will continue to mask the staff's obvious shortcomings, just like Peyton did for a number of years during the late Dungy/early Caldwell era

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He told the CBS crew doing their game today that he had no interest in being a DC next year.

While I'm sure he feels that way today, if the coaching carousel spins this year and he doesn't find a spot, he could very well readjust his thinking.

Whether he does or not, I think he might feel differently about a senior assistant position for a year. Again, assuming he doesn't get hired as a head coach somewhere else. That's the capacity in which I'd want him.

While I'm sure he feels that way today, if the coaching carousel spins this year and he doesn't find a spot, he could very well readjust his thinking.

Whether he does or not, I think he might feel differently about a senior assistant position for a year. Again, assuming he doesn't get hired as a head coach somewhere else. That's the capacity in which I'd want him.

Sure. What is said today may not have much meaning tomorrow or a week from now. But I can see him wanting to sit out a year to get away and they see what happens in January of 2016.

Plus as it relates to this thread, I am not convinced manusky is going anywhere or that he necessarily should be forced out considering the real lack of playmakers on this team.

Sure. What is said today may not have much meaning tomorrow or a week from now. But I can see him wanting to sit out a year to get away and they see what happens in January of 2016.

Plus as it relates to this thread, I am not convinced manusky is going anywhere or that he necessarily should be forced out considering the real lack of playmakers on this team.

My idea is to bring Rex in in a capacity similar to Chudzinski. He's not taking anything over, he's not in charge of any particular unit, and if he leaves after a year, he doesn't even really need to be replaced. It's just a soft landing for a year, with the mutual understanding that he'll be back on the market sooner rather than later. He's obviously one of the best defensive minds in the league, so I don't think there's any question that he can help our team.

Even if we could bring him in for a few days in the offseason in an advisory role, I think it would be beneficial.

And I agree with you, Manusky deserves recognition for a solid season, given how little he's working with.

My idea is to bring Rex in in a capacity similar to Chudzinski. He's not taking anything over, he's not in charge of any particular unit, and if he leaves after a year, he doesn't even really need to be replaced. It's just a soft landing for a year, with the mutual understanding that he'll be back on the market sooner rather than later. He's obviously one of the best defensive minds in the league, so I don't think there's any question that he can help our team.

Even if we could bring him in for a few days in the offseason in an advisory role, I think it would be beneficial.

And I agree with you, Manusky deserves recognition for a solid season, given how little he's working with.

I have a hard time seeing that plan work out as you suggest.  My guess if he were to come here at all, which i sincerely doubt he does, it would be as a DC.  I think he would be sought after by TV and would do well there.  Could still be involved in the game but get away from it from a while too.  That strikes me a more likely scenario.

I have a hard time seeing that plan work out as you suggest.  My guess if he were to come here at all, which i sincerely doubt he does, it would be as a DC.  I think he would be sought after by TV and would do well there.  Could still be involved in the game but get away from it from a while too.  That strikes me a more likely scenario.

TV would love him, but I think he's a football guy. I could see him doing some TV stuff on a limited basis, but I think he wants to be in the game.

I also don't see why he'd want to run a defense as a part of another coach's gameplan and philosophy. He's a head coach, and will be on someone's list in 2016, at the latest, if he just takes the year off. So to me, it makes sense that he says he doesn't want to be a DC. But if he were a senior assistant, his name isn't attached to the defense. If they struggle, it's not "Rex Ryan's defense isn't performing well." If they do well, he still gets accolades for his role. And if he was going to take that kind of role, I think he'd want to be with someone he knows and has worked with in the past.

That would be my pitch. I think it's sellable. But he might want a break from the day to day, also, and TV would allow him that. I guess we'll see what happens.

TV would love him, but I think he's a football guy. I could see him doing some TV stuff on a limited basis, but I think he wants to be in the game.

I also don't see why he'd want to run a defense as a part of another coach's gameplan and philosophy. He's a head coach, and will be on someone's list in 2016, at the latest, if he just takes the year off. So to me, it makes sense that he says he doesn't want to be a DC. But if he were a senior assistant, his name isn't attached to the defense. If they struggle, it's not "Rex Ryan's defense isn't performing well." If they do well, he still gets accolades for his role. And if he was going to take that kind of role, I think he'd want to be with someone he knows and has worked with in the past.

That would be my pitch. I think it's sellable. But he might want a break from the day to day, also, and TV would allow him that. I guess we'll see what happens.

Guess we will see.  First thing that needs to happen is for him to be out of work.

And I did think about your point of him being a DC for a year while likely being in the running for another HC job in 2016.  Why would he want to do that and why would the team want that as well?  

I guess my ultimate question on your Chud-like plan is that my first reading of that plan, it struck me that the circumstances would be different.  I never thought of him being a threat to Pep. Ryan in the building strikes me as the opposite of that.  Could be totally wrong but that was my first impression.

And I did think about your point of him being a DC for a year while likely being in the running for another HC job in 2016.  Why would he want to do that and why would the team want that as well?  

I guess my ultimate question on your Chud-like plan is that my first reading of that plan, it struck me that the circumstances would be different.  I never thought of him being a threat to Pep. Ryan in the building strikes me as the opposite of that.  Could be totally wrong but that was my first impression.

I'm not sure I understand your first question. I don't think he wants to be a DC. I know I questioned his statement earlier, but I believe him when he says he doesn't want to be a DC. I wouldn't expect him to say anything different at this point, when he's likely to at least be a candidate for head coaching jobs over the next few weeks. You don't apply for the #2 job when you're trying to get the #1 job.

But, in a few weeks, when there are no head jobs open and he's still unemployed -- assuming as much -- I think he'd be open to being a DC at that point. I think he loves coaching, and he hasn't taken a year off since he started coaching. Maybe he needs to...

As for the Chud plan, I don't think he'd be a threat to Manusky, because, like we all believe, he'll be on someone's list in 2016 (it only took Jim Caldwell two years to get a new gig; Lovie Smith and Ken Whisenhunt were only off for a year, and Whisenhunt was a coordinator in his year off). Even if Manusky got the axe for some reason after 2015, it wouldn't be Rex taking his job. Manusky's only enemy is poor performance, IMO.

This is all probably much ado about nothing. I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to replace Manusky with Rex, primarily because Rex would be one and done, in all likelihood. But I would like to see him in a senior role, where I think he'd benefit the team and wouldn't leave a huge void when he leaves in 2016. And I think the Chud plan is the precedent for that.

I think Chicago and Oakland would be terrible fits for him.

Atlanta has a strong offensive foundation, aside from offensive line. That might be a strong pairing.

Plus Atlanta is already a year in on a conversion to a 3-4 whereas Chicago is still pretty much in the same 4-3 cover 2 so Atlanta would be an easier defensive conversion to what he'd want to run.  I honestly have no idea about Oakland.

Plus Atlanta is already a year in on a conversion to a 3-4 whereas Chicago is still pretty much in the same 4-3 cover 2 so Atlanta would be an easier defensive conversion to what he'd want to run.  I honestly have no idea about Oakland.

Yup.

Oakland has a weak offense and a young QB, which Rex would promptly ruin. But the defense would probably be excellent. They have a lot of young talent on that side of the ball.

I must've been out of this too long, but as much as I hated to see the showing playing the Cowboys, I hardly think that defined the season.  It was just an early risk on the punt pass play that failed and pretty much set a poor tone for the rest of the game.

As for the current staff, I dunno that I have major issues with the coaches.  We just seem to lack the talent.  Grigson seems to be missing more than he is hitting, but the beauty of it is most of the guys can be cut and open up space for next year.  To me, none of the FA signings have been home runs, most have simply been adequate.  Jackson/Landry/Jones/etc are all guys that contribute, but they're by no means Patrick Willis/Polamolu/Ngata. Granted, they're not being paid as such, but nonetheless we simply don't have any true stars on defense.  And the loss of Mathis truly hurt what could have been a truly great D this year.

As for the O, they're making up for some of the defensive shortcomings, but you simply can't anticipate the loss of a player like Mathis.

As much as I try to look at things with a positive eye, it would seem the worst in our FO/coaching staff is Grigson.  Aside from drafting Luck and Hilton, he hasn't really struck gold on his other selections.  The thing working to his benefit is that most of the poor signings can easily be dropped next offseason and provide cap gains to sign quality replacements.  We'll see if he sticks with the guys he's signed, but my guess is that Landry is one that is surely gone unless he shows up big time in the playoffs.

That may just be me, but aside from the Cowboy game, I just don't see how firing coach and coordinators is going to provide much benefit.

Im torn on it after watching him on Hard Knocks, On one side I know he is a good defensive mind but on the other he seems just like a joke to me with his "Snack" Speech and his Mark Sanchez tattoo and guarantees he has made.....Though I have no doubt in my mind those guarantees he made he did not really even believe.....hard to do that with Sanchez as your QB.I think if he came here (which I don't see happening) he would not be the media circus he kinda was at one point.

Not to mention there is only so much coaching can do with a team still needs plenty of talent on the D side

Caldwell was a puppet while he was here. I think those 2 years away from head coaching certainly helped him gain a better understanding of the game from a coordinator perspective, but I think the main difference between Caldwell's tenure here and what he's been able to do in Detroit is the coaching staff around him. He has 2 very talented coordinators on both sides of the ball, while also having the talent to execute his scheme. Polian didn't do a good job of acquiring talent his last few years here, which became glaringly obvious once Peyton got hurt and the coaches were put in a position to actually have to win without him. Poor situational awareness and a total lack of adjustments ultimately did him in here.

Caldwell is a good coordinator, but a lousy coach.   Even at Wake Forest he was not very good.   He's always had a problem running the ball.   He's not a smart clock manager or game manager.   As many coaches would be, he is good with great talent.  

It can get tiring with the veterans.  These guys are adult men; they aren't the young adults he was coaching at Stanford.  He needs to act more professionally.  A professionally acting head coach can make a big difference.  Just look at how Caldwell as made the Lions so much better than Schwartz.  I don't think it's because Caldwell is a great coach, but rather because Schwartz was a really bad one who acted immaturely, unprofessionally, and his team was undisciplined.

How is Harbaugh unprofessional? Yelling at refs?

How is Harbaugh unprofessional? Yelling at refs?

Yeah, his antics can get very tiring.  I'm not even a part of the locker room and I find him annoying.  It's not just yelling at refs, but yelling at refs all the time.  He complains about everything.  I believe he also wanted to have full power over all football decisions, which the 49ers management was not willing to give.  There were reports that he would not let the team play cards on the flights to games or something like that.  He seems to really know his football and knows how to bring talent together and make it work, but some of his leadership decisions are questionable

Yeah, his antics can get very tiring.  I'm not even a part of the locker room and I find him annoying.  It's not just yelling at refs, but yelling at refs all the time.  He complains about everything.  I believe he also wanted to have full power over all football decisions, which the 49ers management was not willing to give.  There were reports that he would not let the team play cards on the flights to games or something like that.  He seems to really know his football and knows how to bring talent together and make it work, but some of his leadership decisions are questionable

A coach who complains to refs all the time? You just named every coach in the nfl

The rest of your assertions are just gossip.....like the ones that had him going to Oakland and no way he would go back to college. I still haven't heard one player come out against him.

A coach who complains to refs all the time? You just named every coach in the nfl

The rest of your assertions are just gossip.....like the ones that had him going to Oakland and no way he would go back to college. I still haven't heard one player come out against him.

That's true.  But management wasn't happy with all that he wanted.  There's a reason why they split apart