Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Seems to be Contemplating Retirement

John Waylon

Mike Chappell has been tweeting about an interview he just did with Reggie. (Too hard to link from mobile)

Reggie says he is 36 and it's time for some family decisions. Says he misses his children.

Reggie has clearly lost some of his ability, and it seems he knows it. Just getting a real weird vibe from the things Chappell says he is saying. Sounds like he may be in his last go-round, and he is starting to acknowledge it.

I think he might come back for one more year.  He is less than 50 receptions away from breaking Marvin's record and putting himself in 3rd all time on the reception list.  Plus we should be very legitimate SB contenders next year. 

Reggie, IMO, is a HOFer, but having one more 50+ catch season will make him cemented and probably a first-ballot.

I am starting to think that elbow injury may have hurt him more than we think -- he came down on his elbow, but I am sure that did some impact on the shoulder and back as well.  He definitely has seemed a little slower after that happened.

I think he might come back for one more year. He is less than 50 receptions away from breaking Marvin's record and putting himself in 3rd all time on the reception list. Plus we should be very legitimate SB contenders next year.

Reggie, IMO, is a HOFer, but having one more 50+ catch season will make him cemented and probably a first-ballot.

I am starting to think that elbow injury may have hurt him more than we think -- he came down on his elbow, but I am sure that did some impact on the shoulder and back as well. He definitely has seemed a little slower after that happened.

Yeah, he was still able to get a little separation before that, and still looked good at the top of his routes. Since then, he's looked more labored, had trouble adjusting to the ball in the air, etc. It's not just the knee, IMO.

Mike Chappell has been tweeting about an interview he just did with Reggie. (Too hard to link from mobile)

Reggie says he is 36 and it's time for some family decisions. Says he misses his children.

Reggie has clearly lost some of his ability, and it seems he knows it. Just getting a real weird vibe from the things Chappell says he is saying. Sounds like he may be in his last go-round, and he is starting to acknowledge it.

I believe it will all come down to how serious of a SB contender this team will be next year.  If the Colts are 1 and done or dont make it to the AFCCG and show little improvements in the offseason, I could see him hanging them up after this year.  However, I do think he sticks around for one last rodeo, because by default this team WILL be in the power rankings every week next season IMO anyway

Really would not be surprised if he does retire maybe if he says he is right before the playoffs we'll pull a Ravens move like with Ray Lewis and win it all for Reggie .

That would be super dope!  I hope he does do that, and we win it all

Yeah, he was still able to get a little separation before that, and still looked good at the top of his routes. Since then, he's looked more labored, had trouble adjusting to the ball in the air, etc. It's not just the knee, IMO.

Not too many Wr's can excel at 36 . It's all downhill from here

Reggie is a class act!

If he is not playing up to the standards he has set for himself, he is going to walk away.

I think much of this has to do with his desire to spend more time with his family, especially his kids.

If that is the case, then that may prevent him from accepting a position as a Colts coach.

I would love to see him continue to be employed by the Colts after his playing carrier but that's me and many of the fans.

He's gotta do what's right for him and his family!

More power to Him!

I figure Reggie has nothing to prove he is already HOF material and as has been said has slowed down a little since the elbow.  I think 87 also understands that we and I hate to say this "dont need him anymore" on the field however off the field is what I think about he I am sure is a great mentor and our young guys can only benefit from his presence.

All that to say it will be sad to see him go but I think as a person he should do what he feels is right for him and his family. 

Here's the NFL article.

Reggie Wayne is going to be one of the trickiest Hall of Fame debates among this generation of wide receivers. That clock to Canton conversation could start as soon as this offseason.

"Thirty-six, man. Kids growing up," Wayne explained to Mike Chappell of RTV6 in Indianapolis. "It's time for family decisions."

Wayne talked about wanting to spend more time with his three children, including his oldest, his 11-year old son who is playing football. He repeated the phrase "family decisions" a few times.

"It's real, man," he said of possibly retiring. "It's tough, it really is. You have to decide if you want to make that sacrifice again. A lot goes into it."

This is the first we've heard about Wayne possibly retiring, but it makes a lot of sense. He will be 37 years old next year, and does not have a contract for the 2015 season. Wayne is still productive, but he's no longer the same player. He hasn't had many big plays this season, and he's on pace for 848 receiving yards.

Wayne has returned from a torn ACL much better than a lot of other receivers in their mid-thirties, but he may not enjoy playing the game at a diminished level. It's also worth wondering if he'd be willing to take a reduction in pay from his average just under $6 million-per-season the last three years. (Or what kind of contract the Colts would give him.)

Wayne insists he is a Colt for life.

"I know what I'm not going to do is go somewhere else and play for one year, two years. Absolutely not. Nobody else. I don't have time to be dipping and dabbing, one year here, maybe one year somewhere else."

Add it all up, and it wouldn't be a surprise if this were Wayne's final run with the team.

Reggie's earned the right to walk away from the NFL on his own timetable. He's a 1st ballot HOF yellow jacket shoe in easy. I'd hate to see Wayne depart before going to another SB with Luck this time around, but that's not my decision to make. #87 is the epitome of relentlessness, perseverance, humility, & Championship character. You will be deeply missed, but I respect whatever your final decision is in the end at the close of this season. 

"I think much of this has to do with his desire to spend more time with his family, especially his kids." --jmac_48. 

That's entirely possible, but too much time at home with nothing else to do is no picnic either given enough time off. I suppose Wayne could land a TV NFL analyst gig if he's ready to hang up his cleats for good. 

Whatever you decide to do Reggie, take your time & don't be rash about it. Darn man, this one's gonna hurt as much as Peyton leaving. I know it's coming, but it's still gonna be excruciatingly painful when it happens...

I never really expected him to excel. But he looked better earlier this year, especially the Titans game.

I'm sure you didn't . He did play better earlier .. no doubt about it. My point is that father time spares no one . It's either the knee or just a bit of a "fall off a cliff" due the the rigors of an NFL season at age 36. You can't blame looking slower and not getting separation on an elbow injury or forearm injury...

I'm sure you didn't . He did play better earlier .. no doubt about it. My point is that father time spares no one . It's either the knee or just a bit of a "fall off a cliff" due the the rigors of an NFL season at age 36. You can't blame looking slower and not getting separation on an elbow injury or forearm injury...

The other poster speculated that it might be the shoulder and back also, which might explain why he isn't moving as fluidly as he was. Or it could be the result of playing NFL games and his body not bouncing back because he's getting older, like you said. Either way, I thought the knee issue was behind him, given how much better he was moving earlier, as opposed to now.

One thing about receivers getting old, it seems to happen overnight. Sometimes, it's after an injury, like Marvin. Other times, they just fall off a cliff, like you said. Cris Carter, for instance.

If he does thanks for the memories you will always be a colt.

The other poster speculated that it might be the shoulder and back also, which might explain why he isn't moving as fluidly as he was. Or it could be the result of playing NFL games and his body not bouncing back because he's getting older, like you said. Either way, I thought the knee issue was behind him, given how much better he was moving earlier, as opposed to now.

One thing about receivers getting old, it seems to happen overnight. Sometimes, it's after an injury, like Marvin. Other times, they just fall off a cliff, like you said. Cris Carter, for instance.

Might be this and might be that.. He's winding down. He can beat a zone and still has good hands. He and Nicks do not belong on the field together with Moncrief on the bench. It annoys me that an * like me can see it and the coaching staff is so slow to implement it. Lets see... hmm what do I want throw a jump ball to Nicks with a CB glued to him or maybe throw to Moncrief running like 20 yards behind the coverage. 

Well, no matter what Reggie does there is no doubt that he will be a hall of famer. Plus the numbers that both he and Steve Smith are putting up at their age are pretty awesome to see because it hasn't happened since Jerry Rice... and like Rice they are still both huge contributors to their teams in a time when they are much needed. I just hope they both walk off into the sunset peacefully unlike Jerry's last two years in Oakland and Seattle respectively where he was hardly used. 

In the end I think we will all miss the sound of those famous chants of Reggie, Reggie, Reggie here in Indy.

temp2014_1130_WAS_2239--nfl_mezz_1280_10

In the end I think we will all miss the sound of those famous chants of Reggie, Reggie, Reggie here in Indy.

temp2014_1130_WAS_2239--nfl_mezz_1280_10

Yeah I know. If you think about it and count Reggie Miller from the Pacers, Indy has been chanting Reggie Reggie Reggie since what 1985 or 1986?

Here's the NFL article.

Reggie Wayne is going to be one of the trickiest Hall of Fame debates among this generation of wide receivers. That clock to Canton conversation could start as soon as this offseason.

"Thirty-six, man. Kids growing up," Wayne explained to Mike Chappell of RTV6 in Indianapolis. "It's time for family decisions."

Wayne talked about wanting to spend more time with his three children, including his oldest, his 11-year old son who is playing football. He repeated the phrase "family decisions" a few times.

"It's real, man," he said of possibly retiring. "It's tough, it really is. You have to decide if you want to make that sacrifice again. A lot goes into it."

This is the first we've heard about Wayne possibly retiring, but it makes a lot of sense. He will be 37 years old next year, and does not have a contract for the 2015 season. Wayne is still productive, but he's no longer the same player. He hasn't had many big plays this season, and he's on pace for 848 receiving yards.

Wayne has returned from a torn ACL much better than a lot of other receivers in their mid-thirties, but he may not enjoy playing the game at a diminished level. It's also worth wondering if he'd be willing to take a reduction in pay from his average just under $6 million-per-season the last three years. (Or what kind of contract the Colts would give him.)

Wayne insists he is a Colt for life.

"I know what I'm not going to do is go somewhere else and play for one year, two years. Absolutely not. Nobody else. I don't have time to be dipping and dabbing, one year here, maybe one year somewhere else."

Add it all up, and it wouldn't be a surprise if this were Wayne's final run with the team.

I think it has a lot to do with whether Pep is back next season or not. Because I know he's not going to want to learn a new offense and everything.  

What a great time I've personally had watching both Reggie and Marvin play for my favorite team. True Hall of Fame players and both were quite a team for several years. Some teams never even get a true #1 receiver let alone have 2 at one time. Both Reggie and Marvin could be on the all time hands team. Not to mention their route running. I'd hate to see Reggie give it up after this season. If we were somehow able to make a run this year and end up winning it all then yes if I were him I'd call it quits. But like several others here have pointed out next year could really be the year and even though the WR position is in pretty good hands with Moncrief and TY I think we'd all love to see Reggie be there.