Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton: NFL's Hottest HC Candidate? (Merge)

Ja'Crispy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be devestating for a young QB to keep getting shifted between coordinators.  Manning had a good dose of Tom Moore for years and years and years.  One of the reasons he is so good.  I would do everything in our power to keep Pep here.  Sign him to a big contract and let's keep him.  The pressure of being a coach in this league is tremendous and I don't think that would turn out so good.

At this point -- I'm talking about today -- I'd like Pep to stay because Luck is comfortable with him and he's comfortable with Luck.

That said,  I'm still not entirely sold on Pep as a play caller or a strategist.    Not that I think he's terrible -- he's not.   I'm just not sure he's great.

I think having Andrew Luck as your quarterback makes ANY offensive coordinator look good.    Luck covers up your mistakes and sins.  

The year Pep was at Stanford after Luck left (2012)  his work left much to be desired.

And there's much more to being a HC than just calling plays.    Does Pep strike anyone as having the kind of personality that lights up a room?    That gets guys fired up?     That will make players want to run through a wall for him?   I don't think so.

In terms of personality,  Pep is not Pagano or Arians.     Not even close.

Some coordinators are better as coordinators and just not cut-out to be a HC.    My hunch is this may be true of Pep.

But if our offense continues this way,  I think there's a good chance we lose Pep.     If that happens, I'd expect Chudzinski to step in and take over.

Let's re-visit this in January or February.......

One last thought.....   he's an anonymous quote from one unknown GM:

One general manager said this of Hamilton:  "He is almost as good a head coaching prospect as Luck was a quarterback prospect coming out of Stanford."

I'll say this about that GM:    What a *!!    This is one of the most spectacularly stupid quotes of all-time!  And I'd like to know who this GM is so I can follow his career.    I'm expecting this GM to be unemployed very soon!

Didn't this topic come up last season but him leaving to be a HC for a college team? I don't see him leaving.

Last season he wasn't the offensive coordinator for the NFL's best offense.  

This is the NFL guys. . . where every year roughly a quarter of it's head coaches lose their jobs.  That's 8 vacancies a year.  And every year those teams in need of a new head coach go looking for the coordinator that lead the best offenses and defenses the previous year.  Chuck P. was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore for 1 year before the Colts called him up.  That's all it takes is 1 year of a really good showing on your side of the ball.  

Honestly I hope it's all smoke and he stays. . . But at the same time I know that we can't do this well on offense for a very long time and not have him fielding head coaching offers from NFL teams.  Not to mention college teams who might want him considering he has fairly extensive experience being an offensive coordinator in college as well.

Not to mention that he's a black coach so he's likely to pull a lot of interviews because of the Rooney rule.  

Maybe if we're lucky we keep him for next year, but if the Colts are a top 5 offense again next year I don't see any chance in the world that we would be able to keep him as offensive coordinator after that.  Head coaches make a heck of a lot more then coordinators and no one could turn that down.

I don't trust stories about Pep Hamilton and his candidacy for head coaching jobs. 

That said, our offense is ranked very high, and he's the coordinator, and that's generally a recipe for increased attention during the next coaching carousel season. So who knows? 

I'd rather not have to switch offenses, but I don't feel like Pep would be any great loss, should he leave. JMO

I don't trust stories about Pep Hamilton and his candidacy for head coaching jobs. 

That said, our offense is ranked very high, and he's the coordinator, and that's generally a recipe for increased attention during the next coaching carousel season. So who knows? 

I'd rather not have to switch offenses, but I don't feel like Pep would be any great loss, should he leave. JMO

Honestly I would say there is a 60% chance he gets an offer after this season.

If we are a top 5 offense next season there is like a 2% chance he doesn't get an offer after that season.

I don't want to lose him because I think a huge part of the reason why we are the best offense in the NFL is all our key players are in their second year in his system.  Learning a new system is likely going to set the production back.  

Honestly I would say there is a 60% chance he gets an offer after this season.

If we are a top 5 offense next season there is like a 2% chance he doesn't get an offer after that season.

I don't want to lose him because I think a huge part of the reason why we are the best offense in the NFL is all our key players are in their second year in his system.  Learning a new system is likely going to set the production back.  

A bunch of transition for a developing offense isn't a good idea. I'd like to avoid that as well.

But I think the main reason our offense is good is because we have good players, primarily a good QB. Being comfortable with the offense is good, but as long as we have a scheme that isn't getting in their way, I think we'll be okay.

I don't mean to sell Pep short, because I think he's doing a good job, and the players like him. The quote from Hasselbeck is encouraging. But I also think he's benefiting from a roster that was always primed for a big year this season. Like I said, I don't think Pep is the major factor for this offense performing right now. That won't stop him from getting attention, and probably offers, like you said, if we do finish with a top five offense. 

At this point -- I'm talking about today -- I'd like Pep to stay because Luck is comfortable with him and he's comfortable with Luck.

That said,  I'm still not entirely sold on Pep as a play caller or a strategist.    Not that I think he's terrible -- he's not.   I'm just not sure he's great.

I think having Andrew Luck as your quarterback makes ANY offensive coordinator look good.    Luck covers up your mistakes and sins.  

The year Pep was at Stanford after Luck left (2012)  his work left much to be desired.

And there's much more to being a HC than just calling plays.    Does Pep strike anyone as having the kind of personality that lights up a room?    That gets guys fired up?     That will make players want to run through a wall for him?   I don't think so.

Some coordinators are better as coordinators and just not cut-out to be a HC.    My hunch is this may be true of Pep.

But if our offense continues this way,  I think there's a good chance we lose Pep.     If that happens, I'd expect Chudzinski to step in and take over.

One general manager said this of Hamilton:  "He is almost as good a head coaching prospect as Luck was a quarterback prospect coming out of Stanford."

I'll say this about that GM:    What a *!!    This is one of the most spectacularly stupid quotes of all-time!  And I'd like to know who this GM is so I can follow his career.    I'm expecting this GM to be unemployed very soon!

It has always befuddled me how teams go about hiring head coaches. They always seem to go after the young hot shot offensive coordinator because he is great with x's and o's. Yet, head coaches will tell you that is a very small part of the job.

A bunch of transition for a developing offense isn't a good idea. I'd like to avoid that as well.

But I think the main reason our offense is good is because we have good players, primarily a good QB. Being comfortable with the offense is good, but as long as we have a scheme that isn't getting in their way, I think we'll be okay.

I don't mean to sell Pep short, because I think he's doing a good job, and the players like him. The quote from Hasselbeck is encouraging. But I also think he's benefiting from a roster that was always primed for a big year this season. Like I said, I don't think Pep is the major factor for this offense performing right now. That won't stop him from getting attention, and probably offers, like you said, if we do finish with a top five offense. 

I would agree with you that the players play into it.  But I would say it's a combination of coordinator and players, so he deserves some credit.  

Andrew could probably succeed in any system but Pep I think has designed the system to play to the strengths of the receivers and backs he has.  For example we've had this discussion before but I personally don't think TY Hilton is a top 10 receiver in the NFL.  In terms of individual talent there are several receivers who I think are today better then TY Hilton.  But TY is super productive in part due to opportunities and quarterbacking but also due to how he's being used within a system of several receivers/TE/backs that to me when used right is better then having one individually talented #1 receiver.  And he's found ways to get the ball to TY as the most explosive receiver on the team.  

So I think Pep deserves more credit then he gets sometimes.  Obviously he has to have the players to do something like that, but it's not like his WR corps is Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon, and Sammy Watkins.  Our receivers have flaws and he's masking them and playing to their strengths extremely well.

It has always befuddled me how teams go about hiring head coaches. They always seem to go after the young hot shot offensive coordinator because he is great with x's and o's. Yet, head coaches will tell you that is a very small part of the job.

I agree with you somewhat, to me HC is so different from the coordinator job that it's hard to say how good a guy will be as a HC until he is given that job.

Bruce Arians was never apparently considered a top coordinator, but he became head coach due to Pagano's cancer and that's how he managed to land his gig in Arizona, where I thought was doomed until they managed to trade a ham sandwich for Carson Palmer because Oakland is stupid.  

Already seen as a prime candidate for a HC position? really that's surprising to be honest.

Roughly a quarter of NFL coaches lose their job every year and many teams don't wan to try and failed head coach again.  So top coordinator's every year are seen as HC candidates.

Pagano was only DC for a year before he got the HC job in Indy.

I would agree with you that the players play into it.  But I would say it's a combination of coordinator and players, so he deserves some credit.  

Andrew could probably succeed in any system but Pep I think has designed the system to play to the strengths of the receivers and backs he has.  For example we've had this discussion before but I personally don't think TY Hilton is a top 10 receiver in the NFL.  In terms of individual talent there are several receivers who I think are today better then TY Hilton.  But TY is super productive in part due to opportunities and quarterbacking but also due to how he's being used within a system of several receivers/TE/backs that to me when used right is better then having one individually talented #1 receiver.  And he's found ways to get the ball to TY as the most explosive receiver on the team.  

So I think Pep deserves more credit then he gets sometimes.  Obviously he has to have the players to do something like that, but it's not like his WR corps is Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon, and Sammy Watkins.  Our receivers have flaws and he's masking them and playing to their strengths extremely well.

It's a tricky thing to determine how much credit the coordinator should get in a situation like this. I only mean to say that I think our offense was destined to be good this year, so long as we stayed healthy and the coaching wasn't ridiculously stupid. Hot young QB in Year 3, returning offensive weapons, improving offensive line... this was the year of the jump. If Pep was calling plays the way he did for about six weeks in the middle of the season last year, then we wouldn't be as good as we are, but he's calling common sense plays that work well with our offense. 

He deserves credit for that, absolutely. Often I see coaches doing stupid things that don't make sense for their personnel, so it's worth recognizing when a coach uses his personnel properly. And for the most part, I think Pep is doing just that. 

I just think Pep is replaceable, I guess is my point. 

Great post. And the bolded is so true.

The Niners letting go of Harbaugh would be a mistake anyway.

Mike Freeman is no reporting slouch/blogger. The "I don't trust Bleacher Report" crowd needs to realize that BR has brought on legitimate journalists over the last couple of years, Freeman being one of them in the sense that he actually has real contact with NFL players, coaches, and front office people. 

I really don't want Pep to leave for another couple of years, but I do think it is inevitable. 

Both set records with their teams and didn't get HC job yet you think pep has a better shot then both of them

Again on the wrong (losing) side of an argument. What did both of those guys have in common last year? Hint - they both coached teams in the last game of the year. By then I am pretty sure all HC positions had been filled. Secondly, it still means nothing to pep potentially getting a job in 2014. None

After the Vanderbilt deal, I look at Pep as being a wide eyed opportunist - fickle dude with very little true loyalty where it counts. I really don't get the impression that he is a horseshoe guy deep down. I would love to  be wrong, but I think for whatever reason, he is more than prepared to bolt. Even to the right college situation which makes me chuckle. Another year or two with Andrew and he could more than likely have his pick of any NFL head coaching job available.

So far this year, I am glad he and Chuck finally figured out how to throw their road map away and turn the offense over to Andrew - You know stay out of the way and learn the techniques that genuinely support him instead of thinking they know how to guide him. (Sound familiar?)

I can't help it - I am already thinking: Will it be Clyde or Chud? Great subject for debate actually.....

When you are working with potentially one of the most potent offenses the NFL has ever seen - I can't imagine that you would be even thinking about anything else. Has to be a pretty gratifying job.

But that is just me.

After the Vanderbilt deal, I look at Pep as being a wide eyed opportunist - fickle dude with very little true loyalty where it counts. I really don't get the impression that he is a horseshoe guy deep down. I would love to  be wrong, but I think for whatever reason, he is more than prepared to bolt. Even to the right college situation which makes me chuckle. Another year or two with Andrew and he could more than likely have his pick of any NFL head coaching job available.

So far this year, I am glad he and Chuck finally figured out how to throw their road map away and turn the offense over to Andrew - You know stay out of the way and learn the techniques that genuinely support him instead of thinking they know how to guide him. (Sound familiar?)

I can't help it - I am already thinking: Will it be Clyde or Chud? Great subject for debate actually.....

When you are working with potentially one of the most potent offenses the NFL has ever seen - I can't imagine that you would be even thinking about anything else. Has to be a pretty gratifying job.

But that is just me.

College HC jobs > NFL coaching jobs

Not dissing Pep, but that is exactly why teams back bad HC decisions.  Honestly, how hard is it for Pep to success with the offensive players he has???  How many failed HCs have come from NE?   Or how good is Gase working with Peyton Manning?  I can never understand why guys get promoted who have great talent to work with instead of guys who get much more out of lesser talent. That is what I would be looking for.  I wish Pep well if he does he a HC job and I hope he stays here, but I do think a lot of guys would succeed with the cast we have. If he leaves, I think Chud will take over and do just as well if not better.