Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton: NFL's Hottest HC Candidate? (Merge)

Ja'Crispy

Most people won't believe you, because there are still quite a few hacks on board at B/R.  But they do have many writers respected and in high regard.  It's easy to Google the writer and find out who is who.

And Pep may indeed get offers for an NFL HC job.  Is he young enough in his career to forgo that for a while and stick with Luck?  Arians was on his last NFL legs when opportunity knocked.  Situation is a little different with Pep. But HC jobs don't grow on trees either.

I think it totally depends on the job. SF and NYG were floated; those are two solid organizations with reasonably talented rosters. Also, and this is complete conjecture on my part, Pep seems like a very thoughtful individual and I don't think he would take a HC job just because it was offered unless he felt he was professionally ready to do so. I do agree Pep and Arians are two totally different scenarios. 

Unfortunately, in today's NFL, stability at the OC position is going to be an issue as Luck continues to succeed--the Colts OC is always going to come up in the HC job discussion. I never really thought about how lucky the Colts were to keep Moore and the offensive staff so stable for so long under PM. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the QB is probably the most important thing.  Finding a line and a defense is easier then finding a QB.  

I think they have players on the offensive line, assuming they come back healthy. I think all but one of their early season starters is on IR or out for an extended period of time.

Defensive line is still in question.

I think they have players on the offensive line, assuming they come back healthy. I think all but one of their early season starters is on IR or out for an extended period of time.

Defensive line is still in question.

Didn't they lose like 3 guys on their starting O-line in one game or something?  Still having the QB is the most important thing and Matt Ryan is talented enough that Pep could make that offense work.  

I've been critical of Pep Hamilton's offensive strategies, but not necessarily of his tactics. The issue I think missing in this discussion - and whether or not Pep wants to stay or go - is what alternative OC coaching candidates exist? If there is an OC candidate that is substantially better at strategic development, has demonstrated his capabilities over 3 or more years (experience), fits the culture of the Colts, and whose tactics (playbook) are not a radical departure, then that candidate should be considered.

Why do I think this? I look at players who under-performed with the Colt's coaching that performed better in other schemes. Secondly, I look at talented rookies who sat on the bench in favor of less-talented veterans. That may not have been Pep's call, but he isn't merely window dressing. Being a HC means you are not a wallflower.

Finally, being a HC means learning "what not to do" as well as learning what works. Otherwise, NFL stands for "not for long".

Didn't they lose like 3 guys on their starting O-line in one game or something?  Still having the QB is the most important thing and Matt Ryan is talented enough that Pep could make that offense work.  

Yeah, it's been like Final Destination for their offensive line all year long. But that's not a bad job, IMO. Matt Ryan is a borderline great QB, they have good receivers, they added some young linemen on both sides of the ball, etc. Might take a season to patch some holes, but there's no reason they can't make the playoffs next season.