Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thornton benched for disciplinary reasons (merge)

Dark Superman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did ask Pagano whether this benching of Thornton would be limited to tonite only, and he said "time will tell."

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

November 4, 2014

@HolderStephen: I did ask Pagano whether this benching of Thornton would be limited to tonite only, and he said "time will tell."

It'll be interesting to learn the reasoning and how long this lasts.

I thought Louis was particularly poor tonight.

But, to be honest,  I thought 4 of our OL (minus Castanzo) were shaky at best.   Way too much pressure up the middle and from our right side.     Way too much.    Andrew did a nice job of dealing with it.

ESPN had a troubling graphic early in the game....   Luck has been hit more than any other QB in the NFL --- again.   That's three years in a row.

Now, to be fair,  it's not all on the o-line.   Andrew plays a big part of that trying to make something happen.   Wish he did less of that.    But the line has get to get better.

Up next is New England.    And that staff knows how to game-plan against your weakness.   And even without Jones and Mayo,  they'll find a way to pressure the Colts OL.     And that worries me.......

I'm not a fan of either Louis or Thornton. Why not see what Holmes can do at guard? Since they won't let him play center.

I am pretty sure the coaches have been watching what Holmes can do during practice. A healthy inactive pretty much sums up his ability. They won't let him play C? Are you joking? It's not Pop Warner best players play.

But, to be honest,  I thought 4 of our OL (minus Castanzo) were shaky at best.   Way too much pressure up the middle and from our right side.     Way too much.    Andrew did a nice job of dealing with it.

ESPN had a troubling graphic early in the game....   Luck has been hit more than any other QB in the NFL --- again.   That's three years in a row.

Now, to be fair,  it's not all on the o-line.   Andrew plays a big part of that trying to make something happen.   Wish he did less of that.    But the line has get to get better.

Up next is New England.    And that staff knows how to game-plan against your weakness.   And even without Jones and Mayo,  they'll find a way to pressure the Colts OL.     And that worries me.......

That stat concerned me as well. I don't understand why we have not ran the ball more Trent and Bradshaw were 14 for 83 yards and Luck dropped back 46 times to pass?

I thought we wanted to be able to run the ball. The stats would indicate we can but choose not to. I had to work tonight had to watch the game in pieces just now getting ready to watch the it from start to finish. I know stats can be misleading.

The thing that worries me about NE is we have had trouble with TE's all year and we have the best in the league up next. I hope we have something planned to deal with that guy.

That stat concerned me as well. I don't understand why we have not ran the ball more Trent and Bradshaw were 14 for 83 yards and Luck dropped back 46 times to pass?

I thought we wanted to be able to run the ball. The stats would indicate we can but choose not to. I had to work tonight had to watch the game in pieces just now getting ready to watch the it from start to finish. I know stats can be misleading.

The thing that worries me about NE is we have had trouble with TE's all year and we have the best in the league up next. I hope we have something planned to deal with that guy.

Great post!     Really.

I don't understand our lack of running either.    I saw the stats that showed how vulnerable NY was to the pass.   But they were also about 22nd or so against the run.     And one way to slow down their pass rush is to run and we basically didn't.    We took a pass on running so we could pass and then pass some more.

I confess to being frustrated over that.    Then again,  we kept scoring, so I kept my frustrations in check....

As for NE, a good point by you.    We're getting eaten up by tight ends, and they have Gronk and Wright.   The coaches have two weeks to prepare.    And I think we'll need it.     The Pats look like they're running on all cylinders right now...   very worrisome.

I like our coaching staff,  but the Patriots staff does an amazing job.    Fortunately, we're at home for this game.   It may become the difference.....

I was shocked to see him penciled in as the starter tonight. Even the lineups had Thornton listed as the starter. Anyone know what happened to Hugh Thornton?

He was benched for violating team rules, which Pagano wouldn't disclose  any closer, stating they will keep it within the organization. Pagano didn't disclose the length of the punishment any further neither. 'Time will tell'

Great post!     Really.

I don't understand our lack of running either.    I saw the stats that showed how vulnerable NY was to the pass.   But they were also about 22nd or so against the run.     And one way to slow down their pass rush is to run and we basically didn't.    We took a pass on running so we could pass and then pass some more.

I confess to being frustrated over that.    Then again,  we kept scoring, so I kept my frustrations in check....

As for NE, a good point by you.    We're getting eaten up by tight ends, and they have Gronk and Wright.   The coaches have two weeks to prepare.    And I think we'll need it.     The Pats look like they're running on all cylinders right now...   very worrisome.

I like our coaching staff,  but the Patriots staff does an amazing job.    Fortunately, we're at home for this game.   It may become the difference.....

It should be a great game both teams coming off a bye and more than likely a week of rest in the playoffs on the line.

I really wish I was home for this one nothing like watching the big one's with family. I have friends to watch with in AK but just not the same without pop's threatening to turn the game off if they don't get it together.

It should be a great game both teams coming off a bye and more than likely a week of rest in the playoffs on the line.

I really wish I was home for this one nothing like watching the big one's with family. I have friends to watch with in AK but just not the same without pop's threatening to turn the game off if they don't get it together.

If you have to,  go to a Sports Bar.    The noise will be great,  but you likely won't hear the audio of the game announcers.

But it's a nationally televised game,   so you've got to make sure you can see it,  and enjoy it!

Great post!     Really.

Me either.  I wasn't a fan of the playcalling in the first half, and I don't put that all on Pep because at this point, it's difficult to tell if the play run was called by Pep or audibled by Luck so I put in on both.  I think they made things a lot more difficult on themselves than it needed to be.  Running the ball more will help with the pass protection because it will slow down the pass rush.  they can still be a high powered offense with Luck throwing 300+ yards per game while still running the ball.  and what kinda baffles me is that they were running the ball well, even when the game was out of reach and the giants knew they were going to run to milk the clock.  both Trent and Ahmad were still running well and gaining yards despite the fact the giants knew that was exactly what they were going to try to do.  so why not incorporate that earlier in the game to keep the giants off balanced.  I think a lot of the protection issues tonight were due to the fact that the colts threw so many times.  there was no fear of the colts running the ball because they simply weren't, so the giants were pretty much in all out pass rush mode the majority of the first half.

I don't really like to say things like "they need to run the ball XX number of times per game, no matter what" but I'm going to lol...with Richardson and Bradshaw, I don't think there should really ever be under 20 total carries per game between these 2.  they had 7 a piece tonight, and I'd much rather see that at 10-15 each, or 10-12 each for them and throw in 5-10 carries for Boom.  

and I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know...only quoted your post to agree with  you, the rest is just a generalized mini rant :) lol

That Brady guy with all day to throw worries me..

Me either.  I wasn't a fan of the playcalling in the first half, and I don't put that all on Pep because at this point, it's difficult to tell if the play run was called by Pep or audibled by Luck so I put in on both.  I think they made things a lot more difficult on themselves than it needed to be.  Running the ball more will help with the pass protection because it will slow down the pass rush.  they can still be a high powered offense with Luck throwing 300+ yards per game while still running the ball.  and what kinda baffles me is that they were running the ball well, even when the game was out of reach and the giants knew they were going to run to milk the clock.  both Trent and Ahmad were still running well and gaining yards despite the fact the giants knew that was exactly what they were going to try to do.  so why not incorporate that earlier in the game to keep the giants off balanced.  I think a lot of the protection issues tonight were due to the fact that the colts threw so many times.  there was no fear of the colts running the ball because they simply weren't, so the giants were pretty much in all out pass rush mode the majority of the first half.

I don't really like to say things like "they need to run the ball XX number of times per game, no matter what" but I'm going to lol...with Richardson and Bradshaw, I don't think there should really ever be under 20 total carries per game between these 2.  they had 7 a piece tonight, and I'd much rather see that at 10-15 each, or 10-12 each for them and throw in 5-10 carries for Boom.  

and I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know...only quoted your post to agree with  you, the rest is just a generalized mini rant :) lol

The system says I'm out of "Likes"....  otherwise, you would've gotten another of those....   just wanted to make the record clear on that score....     Don't know when my clock re-sets so I can "like" some more....?

Lance Louis was garbage for the Bears, and now surprise, he's garbage here. 

I was not a fan of this signing the day it happened, and what the O-Line coach (or whoever's decision it is) sees in him, I have no idea. 

I wonder what Thornton did, but if you are going to bench him, move Mewhort to RG, and Reitz in at LG!!! Duh. 

My intitial thought was that maybe Louis was starting because of the gameplan.  He is (usually) pretty good in PP.  That being said, he was terrible in PP last night.  Part of me wonders if some of this is gamesmanship for the Patriot game.  If the Pats are preparing for a pass-heavy game plan and a RG who doesn't hold up so well at the point-of-attack, they may be less prepared for a balanced attack with our best run-blocking interior OL at RG.  But, I'm probably reading way too much into this...

My intitial thought was that maybe Louis was starting because of the gameplan.  He is (usually) pretty good in PP.  That being said, he was terrible in PP last night.  Part of me wonders if some of this is gamesmanship for the Patriot game.  If the Pats are preparing for a pass-heavy game plan and a RG who doesn't hold up so well at the point-of-attack, they may be less prepared for a balanced attack with our best run-blocking interior OL at RG.  But, I'm probably reading way too much into this...

I highly doubt that coaches make decisions like that based on their next game.  

I highly doubt that coaches make decisions like that based on their next game.  

I think they do, but this case is a stretch.  The Seahawks sat some ailing starting OL that could have played on Sunday, gambling that they could win that game with backups (and they'd be better off in future games because of the healing time).

I wonder what Thornton did to get himself benched?  Seems he did something wrong, and was punished for it.  At least Shipley has some company now I suppose......

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfjrQ?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=indianapolis-colts

Interesting that Holder thinks the pass protection was improved from the Pitt game and seems to hint that Louis was the reason, but Thornton will start once this disciplinary period is over.

I don't think Luck was the most hit QB in the league last season. According to SI it was Russell Wilson.

Interesting that Holder thinks the pass protection was improved from the Pitt game and seems to hint that Louis was the reason, but Thornton will start once this disciplinary period is over.

It's not really interesting. Holder is just wrong.

Luck was hit 8 times out of 49 dropbacks against Pittsburgh, hit rate of 14%. He was hit 9 times out of 48 dropbacks against the Giants, hit rate of 18%. The protection wasn't any better last night, it was arguably worse, and a lot of the pressures came from Louis. (PFF credits Louis with 1 sack and 4 hits, 55% of the hits that Luck took; plus 2 more hurries.)

Thornton has been up and down, but he's twice as good as Louis. And he's still young and presumably getting better.