Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to win against the Texans?

bap1331

JJ Watt just keeps getting better and I guess he can determine this game because Luck has been a little inconsistent lately unless the Defense saves the day again and scores. Here are some solutions:

1. No huddle. Getting the defense tired and no time to prepare.

2. Running game. Ahmad and Trent are key to this game also. Let's get JJ Watt tired...then mix passing plays.

3. Screen plays. Pass away from JJ Watt and get them unprepared.

4. Watch Hopkins. That makes Andre Johnson an alternative because Hopkins has been the target all year.

5. Most important of all, "PLEASE LUCK! DONT MAKE POOR COSTLY DECISIONS!". Over the past 2 years he has been our savior but now hes become the problem...

As for defense, continue doing what they do...

The Colts are going to need to neutralize both Watt and Cushing. JJ Watt is the media darling for good reason, but Cushing is a huge part of that defense and can be just as difficult to deal with. Plus they have a couple of D backs who can cover anyone and have some big play potential. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Texans dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Agree we can't cough the ball up make them drive the length of the field.

Either shutting down the run game or jumping out to an early lead and putting the game in Fitz's hands would be ideal. 

We have lost 3/4 at Houston so I expect the game to be close for how long and how close I think depends on how well we play. I think the key is shutting down their run game.

They have been in the state of Texas since 9/21 that has to help with rest and just overall comfort.  I think we are the better team but we have to prove it Thursday night.  

JJ Watt just keeps getting better and I guess he can determine this game because Luck has been a little inconsistent lately unless the Defense saves the day again and scores. Here are some solutions:

2. Running game. Ahmad and Trent are key to this game also. Let's get JJ Watt tired...then mix passing plays.

4. Watch Hopkins. That makes Andre Johnson an alternative because Hopkins has been the target all year.

5. Most important of all, "PLEASE LUCK! DONT MAKE POOR COSTLY DECISIONS!". Over the past 2 years he has been our savior but now hes become the problem...

You have got to be joking....

WHAT?!!!! :facepalm: You mean the same guy who has been mentioned as an early season canidate for league MVP and has also won some afc honors thus far? Has the most passing tds in the nfl so far? For a second there I thought you were referring to Luck! If you're talking about the ints... ALL QBS HAVE THEM!! Peyton had 2 and Brees had 3 on Sunday. (both WON) Luck is ONLY in year 3 and will get better with the picks. Peyton had 27 ints his rookie season!! (still a record) As far as the game ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK on BOTH sides of the ball (like they have been doing as of late) and they will be fine. Not sold on the Texans with Fritzs at qb but Watt is the real deal.

The Colts are going to need to neutralize both Watt and Cushing. JJ Watt is the media darling for good reason, but Cushing is a huge part of that defense and can be just as difficult to deal with. Plus they have a couple of D backs who can cover anyone and have some big play potential. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Texans dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Good post. Credit where it's due. But I dont think the Texans o-line can dominate this game.

Good post. Credit where it's due. But I dont think the Texans o-line can dominate this game.

This is literally your first batch of thoughts where I thought "not so bad" and then I get to point # 5 and it all gets thrown away.  All credibility gained has now been lost because Luck "has become the problem." 

no RZ turnovers

keep up the dominance on TOP

slow down Arian Foster (this will probably be the best Colts run D he's faced)

keep up the great coverage on wide receivers

if the D keeps playing like they have been, Colts could very well win this by 2 scores

question:

do the Texans have any good receiving tight ends?

WOW...."hes become the problem.."  Maybe we can get Harnish or better yet Curtis Painter back.......Just shows how spoiled some fans are and they don't even know it! 

I would like to see more of what the Colts D did in the Ravens game.  I thought S. Brown played well but he was also protected and there were times when the Colts played their base 3-4 with the front seven but then played 3 CBs with a single safety on the back end.  I think that gave them a pretty stout run D while also making things tough for Flacco in the passing game.

Mainly the D has to watch to cut backs from the RBs and then offensively they need to get some big plays.  Houston's D is too solid to plan for dink and dunk, 10+ play drives, they need to grind, grind, grind then take their shot down field.

-Block JJ Watt

-Establish the run early

-Block JJ Watt 

-Limit turning the ball over

-Block JJ Watt

-Pressure the QB and Drape Andre Johnson and Hopkins

-and did i forget Block JJ Watt

pretty redundant i know but Watt is a Game Wrecker he is without a doubt the best defensive player in the league and makes huge impacts that can change games, He MUST be contained. 

The best way to win this game and all the rest of our games going forward is to make the other team defend "the problem" (Andrew Luck for those of you with an "untrained" eye for these things) on EVERY single offensive play. The truth is Seattle is effective with Wilson because they make a defense commit resources (and sometimes a lot of resources) to Wilson on every single play, even the most routine handoff or obvious running play call (by down and distance). Teams are never sure if Wilson will keep the ball.

Also, Another way to win all our games would be to sign and draft 52 more "problem" players like Andrew.

To paraphrase a great American poet "We have 99 problems but Luck ain't one"

Forget the run..double team JJ and throw on early downs..

WE cant run on them...lets not waste time tying until we have the lead...

They want to run the ball and kill the clock..know that going in

Forget the run..double team JJ and throw on early downs..

WE cant run on them...lets not waste time tying until we have the lead...

They want to run the ball and kill the clock..know that going in

If we can't run for positive yardage, we should run directly at Watt.  Make him work on his heels not his toes.

Ever notice he's never been a factor late in the games against us? 

Biggest key is don't turn the ball over.  The Texans offense doesn't have the firepower to outscore us without help.  Play smart and take care of the ball and this one should go in the win column.

Right!  Texans lead league in takeaways, and 75-80% of those were when Texans opponent was in the Red Zone!  Win turnover battle, at minimum get 3 points if you get to the red Zone.  Maximize TD's in Red Zone.  Keep penalties in check.