Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts Consider Richie Incognito?

masterlock

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, you're kidding right? Irsay himself is about to go on trial I thought?

Ummm, no.  It's like this.  He's owner, he didn't want to tarnish his own, but he knows he's battling his demons and could (did). But he certainly doesn't want other people piling on and adding to the garbage pile.  Like when I was in high school, nobody could beat up on my sister.  I could, but nobody else was going to.  (yes, we are very close, and no, I didn't , well not often at all and then not full force...   LOL)

Ummm, no.  It's like this.  He's owner, he didn't want to tarnish his own, but he knows he's battling his demons and could (did). But he certainly doesn't want other people piling on and adding to the garbage pile.  Like when I was in high school, nobody could beat up on my sister.  I could, but nobody else was going to.  (yes, we are very close, and no, I didn't , well not often at all and then not full force...   LOL)

Right. Just because he messed up doesn't mean he doesn't care about the team's image. As a matter of fact, I think Irsay's situation might influence the team to do even more to protect the team image, not less.

If you dent your car door, you don't refuse to fix it, then let everyone else dent it as much as they want. You do your best to fix it, and you try to prevent it from getting dented again.

I hear ya, but I don't think this is in the neighborhood of tarnishing the team's brand. He was involved in a bullying "scandal," which I still can't even believe is a thing in the NFL. He's definitely a top-notch jerk, but I think our line could use that. He's the kind of guy that wouldn't think twice about smacking those Saints players in the mouth on Saturday after taking those cheap shots on Luck (I viewed them as cheap, not sure how everyone else feels). We need some mean dudes protecting 12, and Icognito qualifies.

Give him a year contract, and if it doesn't work out so be it. Better do it soon though, from what I'm hearing on sports radio, he's got 5 or 6 suitors right now.

I hear ya, but I don't think this is in the neighborhood of tarnishing the team's brand. He was involved in a bullying "scandal," which I still can't even believe is a thing in the NFL. He's definitely a top-notch jerk, but I think our line could use that. He's the kind of guy that wouldn't think twice about smacking those Saints players in the mouth on Saturday after taking those cheap shots on Luck (I viewed them as cheap, not sure how everyone else feels). We need some mean dudes protecting 12, and Icognito qualifies.

Give him a year contract, and if it doesn't work out so be it. Better do it soon though, from what I'm hearing on sports radio, he's got 5 or 6 suitors right now.

I'm with you. I don't think we're one of the suitors, but we should be.

I probably said it in this thread a long time ago - if he can play at the level he used to play, we need him.  One dude is not going to destroy the brand, the locker room, or pile on Irsay's issues.

EDIT:  The Bucs just traded for Logan Mankins, so they're probably no longer a suitor either.

Given our Stanford players (Grif, Fleener, and that QB what's his name (ha)), and Incognito's target being a collegiate Cardinal as well, it would be awkward. If everyone can agree to let bygone be bygones, then it can be considered IMO.

I'm with you. I don't think we're one of the suitors, but we should be.

I probably said it in this thread a long time ago - if he can play at the level he used to play, we need him. One dude is not going to destroy the brand, the locker room, or pile on Irsay's issues.

EDIT: The Bucs just traded for Logan Mankins, so they're probably no longer a suitor either.

My thoughts exactly.

I hear ya, but I don't think this is in the neighborhood of tarnishing the team's brand. He was involved in a bullying "scandal," which I still can't even believe is a thing in the NFL. He's definitely a top-notch jerk, but I think our line could use that. He's the kind of guy that wouldn't think twice about smacking those Saints players in the mouth on Saturday after taking those cheap shots on Luck (I viewed them as cheap, not sure how%2

Tampa had him in last night for a visit.  Did not sign him.  That's not good news.  If hew was convincing he was a changed dude and 6 teams are pursuing him, you'd think a team would sign him if he would just verbally promise not to have meetings in Las Vegas at strip clubs.  But they let him go out their door for now.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/8/26/6069627/buccaneers-not-signing-richie-incognito-right-now

And the Bucs had decided days before to trade for a troubled guard.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/8/21/6053801/buccaneers-trade-for-guard-rishaw-johnson-send-kelcie-mccray-to-the

Al poll of GM's and execs showed 4 ot of 5 wouldn't sign R.I. and 1 of 5 would only when injury bug depleted all of their Guards.  I bet the at 1 in 5 goes up when teams guards do get depleted to 3rd stringers...

Just a thought: and honestly, trying to be objective. DUI's kill people, PED's slant the playing field, violence against others (bar fights, domestic or other) is a bodily injury act and  all certainly negatives as is ''bullying''. Would we feel differently if R.I. was available if his trasgression was for another act?

Just a thought: and honestly, trying to be objective. DUI's kill people, PED's slant the playing field, violence against others (bar fights, domestic or other) is a bodily injury act and  all certainly negatives as is ''bullying''. Would we feel differently if R.I. was available if his trasgression was for another act?

But it is not one act, it's the straw that broke the camels back.  It's not a second chance, it's an umpteenth chance.  Hate to drop this again, but must be done!

"

• As a freshman at Nebraska in 2002, Incognito (according to USA Today this week) bullied teammate Jack Limbaugh to the point where he stormed off at practice.

• Incognito started 13 of 14 games as a true freshman, missing the one against Iowa State because of an in-game fight against Penn State the week prior.

• Incognito was suspended the following spring by then-head coach Frank Solich. The reasons never were reported.

• In the spring semester of 2004, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He was found guilty on one charge of misdemeanor assault and hit with a $500 fine.

• That following fall, Incognito was suspended from Nebraska and he withdrew from school two weeks later.

• Two weeks after leaving Nebraska, Incognito enrolled at Oregon. A week after that, then-Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti kicked him off the team and told the Oregonian: "There were conditions we had set down and set forth for him to be admitted to our program, and they were not met."

• That next spring in 2005, Incognito declared for the NFL draft. Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy recently told Dan Patrick that his team red-flagged Incognito for character concerns and removed him from their draft board. So did former New England Patriots personnel boss Scott Pioli, who echoed similar sentiments on NBC Sunday night.

• After being taken in the third round of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams, Incognito earned a starting spot and became known for his rough style on the field. He committed 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness, in 44 games.

• Incognito was voted the "NFL's dirtiest player" by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players in 2009.

• After several incidents involving fans and then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo (during a game against the Tennessee Titans), Incognito was released in December 2009. He finished the season with the Buffalo Bills but spent only three games with them.

• In December 2011, as a member of the Miami Dolphins, Incognito incited Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who was fined $30,000 for punching Incognito during a game

Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith called out Incognito for dirty play in 2012. In a 2013 preseason game with the Dolphins, Smith swung his helmet during an altercation with Incognito, which earned Smith a one-week suspension.

• Also in August, Incognito was involved in an incident at a Miami Beach hotel in which it was reported he punched a security guard, but his name was cleared, charges were dropped and Incognito was issued only a trespassing warning.

• Also in August, Incognito was involved in an incident at a Miami Beach hotel in which it was reported he punched a security guard, but his name was cleared, charges were dropped and Incognito was issued only a trespassing warning.

• The incidents with Jonathan Martin, which reportedly dated from his rookie season, and through April OTAs, came to light in November. The Dolphins, after hearing the reported death threats and racist slurs on voicemails left on Martin's cell phone, suspended Incognito indefinitely and cut ties with him.

His interview with Lovie Smith must not have received good reviews as they traded for Logan Mankins and few days earlier traded for another backup guard with troubled past.  The Bucs more than anybody (including us) needed interior line help.  They got it, and didn't even have to use R.I. to do so.

But it is not one act, it's the straw that broke the camels back. It's not a second chance, it's an umpteenth chance. Hate to drop this again, but must be done!

"

• As a freshman at Nebraska in 2002, Incognito (according to USA Today this week) bullied teammate Jack Limbaugh to the point where he stormed off at practice.

• Incognito started 13 of 14 games as a true freshman, missing the one against Iowa State because of an in-game fight against Penn State the week prior.

• Incognito was suspended the following spring by then-head coach Frank Solich. The reasons never were reported.

• In the spring semester of 2004, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He was found guilty on one charge of misdemeanor assault and hit with a $500 fine.

• That following fall, Incognito was suspended from Nebraska and he withdrew from school two weeks later.

• Two weeks after leaving Nebraska, Incognito enrolled at Oregon. A week after that, then-Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti kicked him off the team and told the Oregonian: "There were conditions we had set down and set forth for him to be admitted to our program, and they were not met."

• That next spring in 2005, Incognito declared for the NFL draft. Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy recently told Dan Patrick that his team red-flagged Incognito for character concerns and removed him from their draft board. So did former New England Patriots personnel boss Scott Pioli, who echoed similar sentiments on NBC Sunday night.

• After being taken in the third round of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams, Incognito earned a starting spot and became known for his rough style on the field. He committed 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness, in 44 games.

• Incognito was voted the "NFL's dirtiest player" by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players in 2009.

• After several incidents involving fans and then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo (during a game against the Tennessee Titans), Incognito was released in December 2009. He finished the season with the Buffalo Bills but spent only three games with them.

• In December 2011, as a member of the Miami Dolphins, Incognito incited Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who was fined $30,000 for punching Incognito during a game

Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith called out Incognito for dirty play in 2012. In a 2013 preseason game with the Dolphins, Smith swung his helmet during an altercation with Incognito, which earned Smith a one-week suspension.

• The incidents with Jonathan Martin, which reportedly dated from his rookie season, and through April OTAs, came to light in November. The Dolphins, after hearing the reported death threats and racist slurs on voicemails left on Martin's cell phone, suspended Incognito indefinitely and cut ties with him.

His interview with Lovie Smith must not have received good reviews as they traded for Logan Mankins and few days earlier traded for another backup guard with troubled past. The Bucs more than anybody (including us) needed interior line help. They got it, and didn't even have to use R.I. to do so.

This

He's not going to get much money. Sign him on a one year, mercenary deal, and if he's a * you cut him. I don't think Mewhort is ready to be a full time starter, so let him sit this year and get stronger and smarter for next year....probably even be our swing lineman for this year. I highly doubt Incognito would come in here and think he's some alpha in this organization. 

To update this story;  Bucaneers Trade for Mankins.  

So, in continuation of that story, NFL live asks the reporter "So who else (of the remaining 4 teams who have shown interest) is interested in signing Incognito?  The Answer: "Chuck Pagano of the Colts...(the rest paraphrased)... was asked about him in a news conference today and said they were interested in any and all players who could improve their team" end quote.  

They didn't name anyone else.  

One issue I have had with Pagano and Grigson is that the days of looking (as best as can be done) clean players with high standards are over.  They LOVE long shots, second or more chancers and have little problem with stuff the former regime would never have touched.  (Didn't someone mentioned they signed an armed robber?  My wife has been robbed at gunpoint twice and I was just on a high profile jury of an armed robbery turned murder so I may have a differing opinion than others on giving armed robbers ANY chances for ANYTHING... but I digress).  Incognito isn't in their league.  Perhaps to someone overly sensitive to political correctness and bullying other giant strongmen.  By the way, I scanned the litany of "charges" above and most of them hardly rise to anything approaching "armed robbery" or perhaps "wife/girlfriend beating" or the litany of other issues prevalent out there.  Richie was creamed by the media who got their PC panties in a big old wad.  They ignore so many SERIOUS issues in the country and make a celebrity out of any non PC target they can find.   Stick and stones... learned it as a kid.  

All that said, I wish we took the Dungy approach to these guys.  But Pagano/Grigson are a whole other mindset.   And in that world, Incognito, though a problem, is lower on the totem poll of problems than others we seem happy to welcome into the fold. 

To update this story;  Bucaneers Trade for Mankins.  

So, in continuation of that story, NFL live asks the reporter "So who else (of the remaining 4 teams who have shown interest) is interested in signing Incognito?  The Answer: "Chuck Pagano of the Colts...(the rest paraphrased)... was asked about him in a news conference today and said they were interested in any and all players who could improve their team" end quote.  

One issue I have had with Pagano and Grigson is that the days of looking (as best as can be done) clean players with high standards are over.  They LOVE long shots, second or more chancers and have little problem with stuff the former regime would never have touched.  (Didn't someone mentioned they signed an armed robber?  My wife has been robbed at gunpoint twice and I was just on a high profile jury of an armed robbery turned murder so I may have a differing opinion than others on giving armed robbers ANY chances for ANYTHING... but I digress).  Incognito isn't in their league.  Perhaps to someone overly sensitive to political correctness and bullying other giant strongmen.  By the way, I scanned the litany of "charges" above and most of them hardly rise to anything approaching "armed robbery" or perhaps "wife/girlfriend beating" or the litany of other issues prevalent out there.  Richie was creamed by the media who got their PC panties in a big old wad.  They ignore so many SERIOUS issues in the country and make a celebrity out of any non PC target they can find.   Stick and stones... learned it as a kid.  

All that said, I wish we took the Dungy approach to these guys.  But Pagano/Grigson are a whole other mindset.   And in that world, Incognito, though a problem, is lower on the totem poll of problems than others we seem happy to welcome into the fold. 

Excellent points. Or as a wise man once said, let he without sin cast the first stone.

Ugh...we are hurting on offensive line pretty bad.  I could actually stomach it if the Colts signed Incognito.  Desperate times sometimes calls for desperate measures.  He shouldn't be too expensive, has a nasty streak, would be on a team of "good guys", and might actually help open up some running lanes for our RB's. 

We have the talent and an opportunity to win it all...this year if the cards fall right.  It would be a shame to squander our chances behind an inadequate offensive line.  So fix it...NOW.

To update this story; Bucaneers Trade for Mankins.

So, in continuation of that story, NFL live asks the reporter "So who else (of the remaining 4 teams who have shown interest) is interested in signing Incognito? The Answer: "Chuck Pagano of the Colts...(the rest paraphrased)... was asked about him in a news conference today and said they were interested in any and all players who could improve their team" end quote.

One issue I have had with Pagano and Grigson is that the days of looking (as best as can be done) clean players with high standards are over. They LOVE long shots, second or more chancers and have little problem with stuff the former regime would never have touched. (Didn't someone mentioned they signed an armed robber? My wife has been robbed at gunpoint twice and I was just on a high profile jury of an armed robbery turned murder so I may have a differing opinion than others on giving armed robbers ANY chances for ANYTHING... but I digress). Incognito isn't in their league. Perhaps to someone overly sensitive to political correctness and bullying other giant strongmen. By the way, I scanned the litany of "charges" above and most of them hardly rise to anything approaching "armed robbery" or perhaps "wife/girlfriend beating" or the litany of other issues prevalent out there. Richie was creamed by the media who got their PC panties in a big old wad. They ignore so many SERIOUS issues in the country and make a celebrity out of any non PC target they can find. Stick and stones... learned it as a kid.

All that said, I wish we took the Dungy approach to these guys. But Pagano/Grigson are a whole other mindset. And in that world, Incognito, though a problem, is lower on the totem poll of problems than others we seem happy to welcome into the fold.

The player your thinking of is Nu'Keese Richardson. The robbery was either an apperant hoax or framed I cant remember. The players the bring in that are "long shots" are on extremely short leashes. Example Chris Rainey.

He's a guy with a long history of being bad locker room presence, even well before Jonathan Martin. Actually, the Jonathan Martin thing doesn't even worry me that much. Sure, it's clear he bullied him to some extent but they had a complicated relationship in which the two were sometimes friends. Not that this excuses the times he bullied him, but it's worth noting that he probably didn't mean to drive Martin off the deep end. No, it's the rest of his record troubles me. That since college, he's gotten in trouble and never really changed. It's possible he's changed to some extent today, and I doubt he'd have the clout in the Colts locker room to pull the stuff he did in Miami.

But ultimately I think Grigson, Pagano & co will make the decision that's right for the team whether that means signing him or not. I do think it's worth considering but as an outside observer I won't criticize their decision whether they sign him or not.

They came from Baltimore and Philly respectively. Ever been to either city? Ever watched "The Wire"? If anything, we need some depth on the Oline. It is VERY thin. If Incognito can help, we should take a look. If he screws up, fire him. We stand to lose less then we could gain. 

ESPN Article: Colts Should Go After Richie Incognito

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/7200/colts-should-go-after-richie-incognito

Here is Pagano's quote regarding this...

"I think anybody that’s on the street right now after cut downs this weekend, anybody that comes available we’ll discuss,” Pagano said. “We will not ... say yay or nay based on history. If it makes sense, if it’s going to help us win, and it’s the best thing for the team and this organization, it doesn’t matter if it’s Richie or anybody else, we’ll do what’s right for this organization, for what’s best for this team. What gives us the best chance to win.”

The more I think about it the more I am really warming up to this.  Colts have a strong enough leadership structure in place to handle this guy. 

If Lovie did not hire him, with their huge OG issues, I wonder what baggage with a fuse the dude is still carrying?  If he gets hired here and screws up the chemistry and culture of the team,  all of those responsible for hiring him should be pushed out the same door that R.I. is asked to exit.  The screw up flags are abundant and Lovie's disinterest and trading for Mankins' speaks volumes.  Risk is higher than reward.

It's becoming clear to me that too many players in the NFL are possibly not a Professional in the League.  Because that is not just about football ability. That term has qualities and responsibilities many players do not possess anymore.

http://www.elmbrookcenter.org/about-elmbrook/qualities-of-a-good-professional

One issue I have had with Pagano and Grigson is that the days of looking (as best as can be done) clean players with high standards are over.  They LOVE long shots, second or more chancers and have little problem with stuff the former regime would never have touched.  (Didn't someone mentioned they signed an armed robber?  My wife has been robbed at gunpoint twice and I was just on a high profile jury of an armed robbery turned murder so I may have a differing opinion than others on giving armed robbers ANY chances for ANYTHING... but I digress).

The player your thinking of is Nu'Keese Richardson. The robbery was either an apperant hoax or framed I cant remember. The players the bring in that are "long shots" are on extremely short leashes. Example Chris Rainey.

It was a prank, according to comments from the prosecutors. Something stupid from a college kid with particularly poor judgment. But still against the law.

Certainly he's played at a higher level than any interior lineman on our roster has in the past. And he'll probably come in at a discount. The question is if we bring him in on a 0 tolerance policy, is he going to be able to stay out of trouble, not mess up our team chemistry, and be enough of an upgrade over our other options to be worth the media storm? And I honestly can barely even speculate as to what the answer of any of those questions might be.

I am all for it . He should know his next chance is probably his last chance. This is football for crying out loud not some government desk job. Our society has become such pansies. And we wonder why our younger generation are out of control. I was taught the only person that can stop a bully was the one that is being bullied and that was at the kindergarten level.

If Lovie did not hire him, with their huge OG issues, I wonder what baggage with a fuse the dude is still carrying?  If he gets hired here and screws up the chemistry and culture of the team,  all of those responsible for hiring him should be pushed out the same door that R.I. is asked to exit.  The screw up flags are abundant and Lovie's disinterest and trading for Mankins' speaks volumes.  Risk is higher than reward.

It's becoming clear to me that too many players in the NFL are possibly not a Professional in the League.  Because that is not just about football ability. That term has qualities and responsibilities many players do not possess anymore.

http://www.elmbrookcenter.org/about-elmbrook/qualities-of-a-good-professional

Tampa Bay is not realistically in SB contention this season, and they do not have the same locker room leadership infrastructure (Luck, Wayne, Mathis, Redding, etc ...) that we do; the risk for them is much greater and the reward much smaller.  They also had the ability to make a trade that did not cost them much outside of his salary.  The trade would have cost us significantly more.

YES Easy answer if Grig's does what he claims looks for players that make us a better. There is no question Incognitio at LG makes us a better team 1 yr deal his just got his career back he isn't going to be a problem.

The Dolphins were a side show they threw the easy target under the bus. The GM allegedly wanted Incognitio to punch Martin. I am well aware of Incognitio's other problems and behaviors but if this based off of what happened in Miami that was the whole train coming off the track from the GM down IMO,

We could have traded out of the second round drafted Gabe Jackson and not have this problem. Instead we grab the guy with knee problems and again sit around scratching our heads wondering how the injury bug seems to bite us. Much like we did with the guy with the ankle problems or the FA on IR for the second straight year. We aren't the Phoenix Suns we don't fix broken players so why do we keep getting them?

Richardson was booted from the team, and eventually pleaded guilty to the charges, getting probation but avoiding jail time. Purifoy has a record a mile long and turned police informant. I have no problem with second chance but let's not be the pot calling the kettle black. In fact I have a ton of respect for Richardson for completing probation not easy to do.

The facts are we brought in a guy convicted of robbery and another who turned police informant. That doesn't even count Rainey who slapped his girlfriend around.  We aren't the Tony Dungy Colts anymore.

If we don't bring in Incognitio we don't but not lets pretend it's because we are above it. If any thing it probably has to do with all the Stanford kids that played with Martin. Miami was a side show from the GM Ireland down and they threw the easiest target under the bus there was way more to that story in my opinion. Reports had Ireland instructing Incognitio to punch the kid that's their GM

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/16/patriots-giving-keese-richardson-second-chance/dknkR8ZNrCvYXEtufi7bFI/story.html

You mean like giving Walden a big contract after he beat the **** out of his girlfriend. 

Well, I dont assume to know what the conversation was between Eric and the front office. He never made a statement that I could find. but RI did say some words and they were far from displaying accountability. It would also be my guess that this front office must have heard at least some contrition from Eric for them to extend a contract. Again, I don't know.

RI comes across as having bad energy to me. That is my gut feeling, and I likely wont change my mind. For the record, I have little tolerance for anyone who strikes another for any other reason than to protect themselves. I genuinely hope that Mr Walden has gotten the message.

He's not going to get much money. Sign him on a one year, mercenary deal, and if he's a * you cut him. I don't think Mewhort is ready to be a full time starter, so let him sit this year and get stronger and smarter for next year....probably even be our swing lineman for this year. I highly doubt Incognito would come in here and think he's some alpha in this organization. 

Maybe heal his knees too read his journal of his last season at OSU he barely made it through that year(google it is easy to find)  I am starting to wonder who is looking at these guys health or lack there of before we draft/sign them