Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report's Biggest Stand out for the Colts in the Offseason.

OldSchoolColt

Or he can start in Walden's place after Mathis comes back!

I do not see it happening unless he (Werner) has learned to set the edge.  Werner was awful in that area last year.  He is working more as 'rush backer,' so it is doubtful setting the edge has been the priority. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Still amazed at the hard time fans give Walden....all he did was his job.  Pagano and Grigson were happy with him, and he was the only LB who could set the edge consistently.

I don't know why it comes a surprise to some. It is not unusual for 1 or 2 year player to learn and become a good player. It seems there are way too many that expect a new player to be an impact player before they can even get used to playing against the pros. Not every player drafted can be a pro bowl player and it does take time. To automatically say a new player is a bust is not knowing reality. 

I don't know why it comes a surprise to some. It is not unusual for 1 or 2 year player to learn and become a good player. It seems there are way too many that expect a new player to be an impact player before they can even get used to playing against the pros. Not every player drafted can be a pro bowl player and it does take time. To automatically say a new player is a bust is not knowing reality. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    This!!   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Regrettably,  many here view rookies as busts if they don't deliver in their first year.

The vast majority of all rookies on all teams don't do much their rookie year.    They get a lot better in year 2,  hopefully better still in year 3.

And are a more finished product in year 4 when they're looking for their second contract.     That's the natural progression for young players.

But Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes....    bust, bust, bust and bust!    They just didn't show much in their rookie year!   That's what a large segment of our fan base has been posting here...

Ohhh-Kayyyyyyyyyyy......      

Hopefully these players will show more of their true ability this year.   And most everyone will be happy!      :thmup:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    This!!   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Regrettably,  many here view rookies as busts if they don't deliver in their first year.

The vast majority of all rookies on all teams don't do much their rookie year.    They get a lot better in year 2,  hopefully better still in year 3.

And are a more finished product in year 4 when they're looking for their second contract.     That's the natural progression for young players.

But Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes....    bust, bust, bust and bust!    They just didn't show much in their rookie year!   That's what a large segment of our fan base has been posting here...

Ohhh-Kayyyyyyyyyyy......      

Hopefully these players will show more of their true ability this year.   And most everyone will be happy!      :thmup:

A lot of people got spoiled by the 2012 draft class.  Guys like Luck, Ballard, Hilton, Allen and Fleener all stepped in on day 1 and became starters or solid contributors.  Now any rookie that doesn't get significant playing time is a bust.  These people need to realize that the 2012 draft was BY FAR an aberration and not the norm.  Hell, how many people wanted Fleener cut after his first year because he dropped a couple of passes and they didn't think he was as good as Allen so they were ready to cut Fleener loose after his rookie year.  Madness!

A lot of people got spoiled by the 2012 draft class.  Guys like Luck, Ballard, Hilton, Allen and Fleener all stepped in on day 1 and became starters or solid contributors.  Now any rookie that doesn't get significant playing time is a bust.  These people need to realize that the 2012 draft was BY FAR an aberration and not the norm.  Hell, how many people wanted Fleener cut after his first year because he dropped a couple of passes and they didn't think he was as good as Allen so they were ready to cut Fleener loose after his rookie year.  Madness!

I agree with all of the above. Also, another thing to point out is that we were a 2-14 football team in 2011, so it was very likely most of the draft picks would play early and often in 2012.

I agree with all of the above. Also, another thing to point out is that we were a 2-14 football team in 2011, so it was very likely most of the draft picks would play early and often in 2012.

Especially considering it was mostly offensive skill position players and going into that draft I think Donald brown, Reggie and Brody Eldredge were our best offensive skill players under contract.

Especially considering it was mostly offensive skill position players and going into that draft I think Donald brown, Reggie and Brody Eldredge were our best offensive skill players under contract.

I agree. There were a lot of opportunities. The 2012 Indianapolis Colts was treasure mountain to offensive rookies, especially because Luck was part of the group. 

also the positions ...is much easier for a RB to step in than a DT or OLB.

lol i read this too late...just posted something similar

also the positions ...is much easier for a RB to step in than a DT or OLB.

I agree for the most part. Most of the time that holds true. That said, it also depends on the complexity of the offense/defense, and also what type of system the player played in during college. There is also player intelligence and intangibles. 

If Brody Eldredge was one of the 3 best offensive skill players under contract, we must have only had 3 offensive skill players under contract.

Sorry, carry on.

If Brody Eldredge was one of the 3 best offensive skill players under contract, we must have only had 3 offensive skill players under contract.

Sorry, carry on.

As I recall he was at the very least the only TE under contract going into that draft.

I'm not disagreeing that fans are spolied but that attitude on this board has been around a lot longer than 2012.

Fans always want the team to draft for measurables but they(the fans) never want the team to take the time to develop those measurables into a football player.  That is what they did with Werner, they had that luxury with Mathis to take a guy that would take a year to get used to the pro game and probably another year to develop into the player they want at the position.  That is one of the differences between FO people and fans... fans look at the current season FO people looking 3 to 6 years down the road.