Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

I feel like they consider Holmes the starting center of the future and are not going to overspend on a free agent center.  Personally  I don't disagree with any of the signings so far. But the thought of another year watching the colts run right up the middle into a brick wall all makes me die a little inside.  I wish they had gotten proven talent for the oline and drafted defensively.  Our defense looked its worse in my opinion when the offense couldnt stay on the field.  But I am hoping they know something about Holmes we dont based off his performance in private last year while recovering from injury.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how some of you are screaming for Evan Dietrich-Smith.  He was signed by Green Bay as a college free agent, cut, signed by Seattle, cut, signed again by Green Bay, backed up a shot Jeff Saturday, and then finally got to play.  You make it sound like he is a word beater.  How is he much different than Phil Costa?

He rated higher on a website...

Funny how some of you are screaming for Evan Dietrich-Smith.  He was signed by Green Bay as a college free agent, cut, signed by Seattle, cut, signed again by Green Bay, backed up a shot Jeff Saturday, and then finally got to play.  You make it sound like he is a word beater.  How is he much different than Phil Costa?

So? Jeff Saturday went undrafted and was cut by a team and was sitting at home in NC before an opposing player just happened to tell Polian about him. James Harrison was cut 3 times by the steelers, then cut by the ravens, before sticking with the Steelers the 4th time around.

Nobody is comparing EDS to Dwight Stephenson, but he is a better option than Mack and his ridiculous price tag imo.

You make a very fair point; Costa could wind up being a good player, just like EDS is now. The difference is that we KNOW that EDS is a good player, and could collectively exhale about our center position with him in the fold. If we're going to roll with Holmes/Costa at center, it's still very much a question mark. Doesn't mean it can't/won't work, but it's more of a gamble than someone who has proven they can play at a high level.

I stand corrected. I read an article about him this morning that said he started all 16 last season and that they considered him fairly solid because Romo was able to pass for 4,000 yards behind him.

I think it was posted on Twitter, or yardbarker.

http://cover32.com/colts/2014/03/13/indianapolis-colts-sign-veteran-center-not-named-alex-mack/

Stupid misleading article

For those of you worrying about having enough cap space, and enough money to sign Mack, here:

For those asking, yes, the Colts have the money to add both Hakeem Nicks and Alex Mack if they so desired.

— Josh Wilson (@Coltsfanwilson) March 14, 2014

we already knew that! Or at least I did :P

I was too, I was seeing sources estimating us around 15-20 mil, even after the Costa signing. 

I personally think Holmes has a very high ceiling do to his mobility, But we need a sure thing at Center and not competition for the starting job. You dont get competition to compete for starting jobs, you get competition behind established starters where that competition can earn the right to start when that established vet starter leaves via FA or otherwise....Otherwise you run the risk of having competition between 2 players that should not be starting

If we could get Nicks and Mack... damn what a good off-season this would be

Without even touching the draft.....Mack's agent needs to work it out so that Cleveland will not match.  Still a long shot...hoping here.

I said in chat today we would have Nicks signed by 4:30...at least he was in the building at 4:30 :)

I did not wish to go through 15 pages...I do like what Mack said in the IndyStar:

“Any time a player has a chance to talk with a team with a proven record like the Colts, (with) a quarterback and other weapons of the caliber Indy has, it certainly catches your attention,” Mack, 28, said in an exclusive interview with The Indianapolis Star.

I think it will be a few days on this one....:)

If we are truly going to make a play for Mack, we need structure a deal, that pays a modest 8M$ a year, with incentives like "if we don't win 9 games or more, have an extra 2M, if we miss the playoffs, have an extra 2M, "  Things that we will probably certainly do, so we don't have to pay, but Cleveland probably won't, so they will have to pay, and won't want to pay 12M$ a year for him.

Luck: Hey man, I'd really love seeing Mack with the Horseshoe!

Grigs: Yeah, me too, making the money work is a hard one.

Luck: Well, what if I only ask for 20 instead of 25M/yr. when we gotta deal?

Grigs: <almost faints> You are going to ask for WHAT?

Luck: Just kidding, sorry about that, lol, really though, get me Mack! We can work it out on my deal later.

Just fantasizing!  :lombardi::coltshelmet::lombardi:

Right, like I said if I am the Colts it's in your best interest to let time go by and let the Browns spend money and then sign him to a deal the Browns can't match. 

Will. Not. Happen. Browns still have over $40 mil in cap space.

If we are truly going to make a play for Mack, we need structure a deal, that pays a modest 8M$ a year, with incentives like "if we don't win 9 games or more, have an extra 2M, if we miss the playoffs, have an extra 2M, "  Things that we will probably certainly do, so we don't have to pay, but Cleveland probably won't, so they will have to pay, and won't want to pay 12M$ a year for him.

What you are suggesting is a contract that encourages a player to play poorly.