Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

That actually puts pressure on Cleveland. All anyone else has to do is monitor how much cap space the Browns are spending to get a hold of that magic number that they can't beat. By holding out, this forces the Browns to slow way down on their spending and perhaps miss out on some folks they have targeted.

And I think it's safe to say, that there are more than enough signs now to know that Mack does not want to be in Cleveland anymore, in spite of the kind words he's said about it so far.

The Browns still have well over $40mil in cap space. There isn't going to be a time before the deadline to sign tagged players to offers that they won't have the money to match.

Furthermore, as I've pointed out, Mack and his agents want teams to make offers and drive up his price. Of course he's not going to hurry to sign the tag, regardless of whether he wants to be with the Browns or not. He wants to get paid.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea! Let's have Jim offer Mack a 2% ownership of the Colts Franchise... bet Browns don't match that...

Sorry in advance, this suspense and drama is getting to me lol

Why don't we just offer him a rebate?  Haslam has a problem with those.

Maybe he could become trade bait for teams that have crap LT and even average would be an upgrade for team that don't have good LT.

Well, that would work if he wasn't going to be a Free Agent. We can't trade him without a replacement.

Did any of the posters here calling for Alex Mack, actually watch any of the Cleveland games to form their opinions on how great he is?

Or is his status of greatness based strictly from reading various computer analysis?

We've had two seasons of Satele at center.....  We're a bit stir crazy, okay?

What if we made an offer on Tuesday and are just having to waiting through the 5 day counter offer?

May not get an answer till Sunday.

If we had made an official offer and the clock was actually running on the 5-days for Cleveland to match or reject,  it would've been made public by now.    There would be no way to keep that a secret. 

The offer has not been made yet.    Mack's agent is running the show here and I'm sure we're being kept in the loop.....

I would love to get Mack.

But with Costa coming abroad it just doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money at one position when we need another receiver and safety.

With Hakeem Nicks as a likely choice to be signed as well, I see the team going Safety in the draft along with a lineman or two.

Must upgrade RG thorton sucks.

give him a chance.... he can be a roadgrader and is a perfect example why Grigson said he does not like start / play rookies on the Oline... he will get better... look at Eric Fischer #1 pick and many question if he can be a staring Tackle

But with Costa coming abroad it just doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money at one position when we need another receiver and safety.

With Hakeem Nicks as a likely choice to be signed as well, I see the team going Safety in the draft along with a lineman or two.

Costa only cost us 2 mil i think it's only 1 mil a year

Costa can play Guard as well.  There is no reason that the Costa signing isn't just a depth singing to help our line out, since we always take injuries and I am sure he is better than our linemen we just let go.  Just because he had some issues in Dallas, doesn't mean he can be successful here.

Give the guy a chance.  His contract isn't that bad and well worth it.

Costa can play Guard as well.  There is no reason that the Costa signing isn't just a depth singing to help our line out, since we always take injuries and I am sure he is better than our linemen we just let go.  Just because he had some issues in Dallas, doesn't mean he can be successful here.

Give the guy a chance.  His contract isn't that bad and well worth it.

I never said I didn't like the signing, I think it is a good depth signing and I don't understand the hate the guy is getting.

I doubt any Colts fan is jumping with joy over signing Costa. Especially if they expected Mack coming in.

But he's not very expensive and can cover at Guard.

Maybe another Center will be signed. Maybe Grigson/Pagano feel that Holmes will cut it. Let's just have a little patience and see what happens in the next few days..

If he gets that, it won't be here.

I have no idea why you'd say that.

If he doesn't get it here,  he'll get it elsewhere.

And if we let him go,  we'll have to try and find another LT we like as much or more and who will play for that money.

Easier said than done.

I expect Castanzo to be our LT and to make roughly $7.5 Mill per....

What I'm curious in knowing is what was Mack asking that the Browns were not willing to meet?

And at what point above that they would choke on?

I'm sure the Colts know the asking numbers, the rest is a crap shoot!

In the end I hope we find out the real numbers, although that may never be divulged.

What I'm curious in knowing is what was Mack asking that the Browns were not willing to meet?

And at what point above that they would choke on?

I'm sure the Colts know the asking numbers, the rest is a crap shoot!

In the end I hope we find out the real numbers, although that may never be divulged.

They didn't really have that kind of discussion. He said all along he wanted to test free agency and guage his value, and would give the Browns the opportunity to match any offer he received. The Browns hedged their bets and put the tag on him to hold him to that and protect their own interests as well.

They didn't really have that kind of discussion. He said all along he wanted to test free agency and guage his value, and would give the Browns the opportunity to match any offer he received. The Browns hedged their bets and put the tag on him to hold him to that and protect their own interests as well.

Thanks for that.

Can't blame them for trying to keep  player they have an invested interest.

I think people are getting out of hand with Mack.  Yes of course he's one of the best centers in the game and of course we would love to have him.  But here's how things are; Mack would cost us a bunch of money.  Money that could be well spent elsewhere.  Unless we can increase our salary cap (by cutting players or asking for pay cuts) or convincing him to come with an above avg salary and an winning atmosphere, i don't think we are able to get him.  Giving a center DB money is not reasonable.  Remember we drafted quality players in 2012 that is going to need to be paid.  Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, and Ballard (depends on how well they do).  I too would love to pick up Mack, but i too would like to be reasonable to better the team.  10 million a year for a center is unheard of.

10 million a year for a center is unheard of.

Welcome to the new NFL.

The new CBA, rookie caps, escalating salary caps are bringing a whole different approach necessary to succeed now.

Good for the NFL? Good for the players? Good for the franchises? This is yet to be seen.

The teams that figure it out the soonest will be the ones who succeed, long term dynasties may be a thing of the past.

It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next 5-10 years. 

"The times they be a changing"... B. Dylan

EDIT: forgot, Good for the fans?  We will see!

Here's an idea! Let's have Jim offer Mack a 2% ownership of the Colts Franchise... bet Browns don't match that...

Sorry in advance, this suspense and drama is getting to me lol

I get it was a joke, but still wanted to point out that that is technically illegal under the NFL constitution.