Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go a step farther, I'd say bottom half of the conference. Make it that much harder on the browns.

I was playing the Bengals/Ravens/Steelers >>>>>>> Texans/Titans/Jaguars angle. Not sure if it could skirt poison pill territory, and still comes with risk if we get unlucky. But even if we're decimated by injuries, hard to see us finishing worse then second.

Is this poison pill?

Colts and Mack agree on lets say 7 mil. per year, 50 % guaranteed, for five or six years. If team doesn't earn playoff spot in first year, contract is 100% guaranteed.

The problem with that is that it encourages a player to perform badly. Imagine this scenario: End of the season, must-win game, Luck in the shotgun. Win the game and you're in the playoffs. Lose the game and Mack's contract is fully guaranteed. Is that something you want your Center thinking about before he snaps the ball?

We don't have to give the Browns a draft pick to get him and Mack's agent said he can structure the contract in a way that the Browns couldn't match.

Mack's agent is trying to create a market and drive up the price. There is literally nothing Indy could offer that the Browns couldn't match under the current rules.

Meh they need:

1.Safety

2.Another WR

3.QB

4.RB

5.Guard

We need(immediate needs):

1.Center

2.Safety

Other then that we need alot of depth (Plenty of upgrades in other words)

And they have 10 draft picks to address these needs, 7 in the first 4 rounds.

Read up on that a little more and you're right. Seems like a jerk thing to do by the original team to a player wanting to play elsewhere though.

Like when the Colts tagged Manning twice?

All they would need to do is agree with Mack ahead of time that he would restructure after the 1st yr. of the contract. Put a clause in the contract that he wouldn't agree to a re-structure for any other team than Indy. I think they might be able to get by with that and cleveland wouldn't have a choice but to let him go.

The contract cannot include anything whatsoever that would make the conditions different for the original team than the new team trying to sign him.

The contract cannot include anything whatsoever that would make the conditions different for the original team than the new team trying to sign him.

Yeah, but as I explained later in the thread, the language could be re-worded in a way that it said pretty much the same thing without naming specific teams. There is no way from keeping a team and a player/agent from making "handshake" agreements under the table and keeping it secret. I imagine it's done all the time in contract negotiations. 

There is no way from keeping a team and a player/agent from making "handshake" agreements under the table and keeping it secret. I imagine it's done all the time in contract negotiations. 

And there's no way for a team to prevent the player from breaking said "handshake" deals. If it's not in the contract, it's not binding.

And there's no way for a team to prevent the player from breaking said "handshake" deals. If it's not in the contract, it's not binding.

Except that it would be a simple restructure, which would literally cost him nothing and would provide the team the ability to put better players around him.

The only reason he WOULDN'T do it is spite.

Must upgrade RG thorton sucks.

Are you basing that on the amount of nearly ZERO minutes he played at RG last season?

RG is his natural position and considering he was playing out of it, as a rookie, I think he did fairly well. Can't wait to see what last season's experience and getting back to the RG position will do for him.

Cleveland Browns' Alex Mack's agent: "He's in no hurry to sign the transition'' http://t.co/lm8BPCADUX

— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot)

March 13, 2014

That actually puts pressure on Cleveland. All anyone else has to do is monitor how much cap space the Browns are spending to get a hold of that magic number that they can't beat. By holding out, this forces the Browns to slow way down on their spending and perhaps miss out on some folks they have targeted.

And I think it's safe to say, that there are more than enough signs now to know that Mack does not want to be in Cleveland anymore, in spite of the kind words he's said about it so far.