Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

I bet the Colts and Alex Mack are waiting for the Browns to spend more money. No other reason.

And as I've explained, that strategy won't work. Even after signing Tate today, they still have about $40mil.

And why do you assume Mack is waiting at all? He has had zero visits. Perhaps he's not getting serious overtures.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and No. Cleveland didn't want a long term deal with him as he doesn't want one with Cleveland. This way Cleveland would only keep him for 10 mil if no one matched it and hed be free agent next year. Cleveland by keeping at 10 mil this year would be hopeful he would change his mind about wanting to be there and try to sign him long term. NOT gonna happen whether hes stays or not. he wants out of cleveland

I hear what you are saying, but Mack isn't saying it.  This article paints a different picture altogether.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20140306/cleveland-browns-alex-mack-set-to-test-free-agency

So, who really knows where the line is drawn...

Question: Is he the best center in the league? I was wondering who was after reading an article about Mack potentially being the highest paid... and I thought, if he is the best center in the league then being the highest paid center makes perfect sense.

In my opinion he is the best Center in the league yes, He has a great blend of strength and mobility, He is not the strongest Center in the league by far but he has good strength and great mobility, And plays with consistently great technique

I bet the Colts and Alex Mack are waiting for the Browns to spend more money. No other reason.

It's possible, but then again, I guess that could be a really long time.  Browns have a ton of draft picks and need to keep all kinds of cap cash ready for those signing, and they have to keep Mack's 10 million on the side unless another team makes an offer they refuse to match.  The Browns will have cap money to spare for a good while.  Us waiting them out could hamper us getting any other upgrade to that position in the interim. Risky business, this is.

Unless Grigs is 100% certain he can get a starting center in round 2 of the draft, he's got to be banking on landing Alex Mack.  He's not even entertaining bringing in other free agent centers for a look. And please, no way Costa is the starting center when we take the field opening day!  We all know that presently center is the most dire need for this team and Grigs is out signing WR Nicks(which is a bit of a luxury) and not even sniffing in other center FAs.

I suspect Mack has already told Grigson he wants to be a Colt.  I also suspect, given the lack of movement from Colts brass, they think they can make the Mack signing happen.

Unless Grigs is 100% certain he can get a starting center in round 2 of the draft, he's got to be banking on landing Alex Mack. He's not even entertaining bringing in other free agent centers for a look. And please, no way Costa is the starting center when we take the field opening day! We all know that presently center is the most dire need for this team and Grigs is out signing WR Nicks(which is a bit of a luxury) and not even sniffing in other center FAs.

I have a slight feeling you may be right. Just waiting the market out basically. Then go in a grab him.

I suspect Mack has already told Grigson he wants to be a Colt. I also suspect, given the lack of movement from Colts brass, they think they can make the Mack signing happen.

Come on people.. How does anyone on this board "know" what Grigson is up to.

Do you really think that they don't operate according to a plan and just figure stuff out along the way?

How do you "know" that there has been no contact with other possible Centers or their agents?

Keep it together. Not everything has to happen on day 1 or 2 in FA. There's plenty of time left in FA to get things done, with Mack or another target.

They have. He hasn't signed it yet.

No consequence for the Browns, whether he is a restricted or unrestricted FA.  IE:

Q. What if a player does not sign an offer during the free agency period?

A. If an restricted free agent does not sign an offer sheet by May 2, the only club allowed to negotiate with him is his current team.

The answer for unrestricted free agency is more complex. If a player's current team has made a one-year offer involving a raise of at least 10 percent by June 1, that team will retain exclusive negotiating rights after the free agency period ends on July 22. In that case, the team will have until the Tuesday following the 10th week of the season to sign him or he will be forced to miss the whole season.

So, there's no way he can just skip through the cracks and get out of Dodge unscathed by not signing his transition tag tender.

Come on people.. How does anyone on this board "know" what Grigson is up to.

Do you really think that they don't operate according to a plan and just figure stuff out along the way?

How do you "know" that there has been no contact with other possible Centers or their agents?

Keep it together. Not everything has to happen on day 1 or 2 in FA. There's plenty of time left in FA to get things done, with Mack or another target.

It's a fan forum.  It's what we do.  We speculate. We obsess!

Evidently you enjoy it.  You're reading page 20 of this thread.  Don't act like you're holier than thou now!

would you guys be willing to pay 10 million a year for Mack, or around there?

I believe that is 25% higher than the highest paid center right now!  All O lineman salaries will jump.  Elite LT's will command 13-14 (near QB money) million per year. I don't see any GM making that move and the turmoil caused by it's wake.  We shall see...

Um, yeah in this case I would. Normally, I'd say no, but Luck won't survive much longer behind a make shift line... Sorry, longevity of the franchise QB takes priority over anything else, if that means paying 10+ mil for a starting center, so be it.

Unless Grigs is 100% certain he can get a starting center in round 2 of the draft, he's got to be banking on landing Alex Mack. He's not even entertaining bringing in other free agent centers for a look. And please, no way Costa is the starting center when we take the field opening day! We all know that presently center is the most dire need for this team and Grigs is out signing WR Nicks(which is a bit of a luxury) and not even sniffing in other center FAs.

I have a slight feeling you may be right. Just waiting the market out basically. Then go in a grab him.

I suspect Mack has already told Grigson he wants to be a Colt. I also suspect, given the lack of movement from Colts brass, they think they can make the Mack signing happen.

Simple answer?  Yes!!  It makes the line so much better!  The center is responsible for all the line calls and when you have a center who can't see it or make the proper calls, AKA Sampson Satele, you have what's happened the last two years and have Luck running for his life.  You sign a guy who knows what he's doing and the whole line gets better.  Luck has more time to pick apart the defense and the running game automatically improves.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because Cleveland has the space doesn't mean they would be willing to use it all to keep Mack. They could've franchised him for 11ish mil, and the chose the 10 mil Transition tag. If they were willing to pay Mack more than 10 million they would've franchised him. Offer him $12 and they probably won't match. They have 8,000 draft picks they can get another center.