Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign DT/DE Arthur Jones

HarassedOffTheSite

Sources predict Arthur Jones will sign with the Indianapolis Colts as soon as today. Expected between $6 million and $7 million per year

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)

March 11, 2014

Obvious fit. Pagano coached him for 2 years in Baltimore. 27 years old with 53 tackles and 4 sacks last year. And can fit into 3-4 or 4-3 schemes. Perfect for our hybrid Defense. Word is that the Titans, Redskins, Packers and Giants were all after him too.

And yes...he's the older brother of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones and Patriots (asterisk)* DE Chandler Jones.

Jones' Situational Stats

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Arthur Jones

2012 Grade: +15.7
2012 Snaps: 529

Summary: The last two seasons Arthur Jones has come from nowhere to make a name for himself as a tremendous run defender with adequate pass rushing skills. In Jones’ first two seasons he played a total of 290 snaps. Then in 2012 he started getting more meaningful playing time and didn’t disappoint. From Week 12 through the Super Bowl that season, he amassed a grade of +10.6 while playing in 51% of the snaps. This season he saw a slight bump up to 55% of the possible snaps, but continued the solid play with a run defense grade of +12.9 and a pass rushing grade of +1.9.

Jones is still young at 28 years old and so far he’s only gotten better with every opportunity that has presented itself. He doesn’t get many snaps in obvious passing situations, but it’s impressive that he was at least above average playing mostly run downs where it’s harder to get pressure. At 6-foot-3, 305-pounds he could likely play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. Choosing between him and Linval Joseph seems like a coinflip in my book. Joseph may be younger and more proven, but Jones’ talent and production on a per play basis has outpaced Joseph’s.

How would Colts use Ravens DL Arthur Jones?

"...what I find interesting about this is the fact that Jones' natural position is not the one at which the Colts need immediate help. Indianapolis hasn't shown any urgency to re-sign 2013 starting nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who becomes a free agent on Tuesday when his one-year contract expires.

Interestingly, Jones is considered best as a defensive end in a 3-4 defense. In the Colts' defense, that's a position currently occupied by another former Pagano pupil from Baltimore, Cory Redding. Ricky Jean Francois is considered the defensive tackle.

This might be an overreaction, because Jones can, in fact, play nose tackle. But if the Colts are prepared to spend significant money to land him, it would be mildly surprising if they chose to play him at a position where he might not be most effective.

Right now, we're left to speculate and read between lines..."

as stated in another thread....if this signing is true, then outside of NT, the Colts could have a VERY deep Dline this year (when's the last time we've been able to say that)

Yes, but that D-Line is useless if opposing QB's are able to pass all over us. We maybe able to stop the run, but it's a passing league now and about to a passing division we're in. We need some sort of threat in the secondary as well.

Yes, but that D-Line is useless if opposing QB's are able to pass all over us. We maybe able to stop the run, but it's a passing league now and about to a passing division we're in. We need some sort of threat in the secondary as well.

That's what a pass rush is for. A pass rush makes everyone in the secondary's job easier

5. Arthur Jones

2012 Grade: +15.7

2012 Snaps: 529

Summary: The last two seasons Arthur Jones has come from nowhere to make a name for himself as a tremendous run defender with adequate pass rushing skills. In Jones’ first two seasons he played a total of 290 snaps. Then in 2012 he started getting more meaningful playing time and didn’t disappoint. From Week 12 through the Super Bowl that season, he amassed a grade of +10.6 while playing in 51% of the snaps. This season he saw a slight bump up to 55% of the possible snaps, but continued the solid play with a run defense grade of +12.9 and a pass rushing grade of +1.9.

Jones is still young at 28 years old and so far he’s only gotten better with every opportunity that has presented itself. He doesn’t get many snaps in obvious passing situations, but it’s impressive that he was at least above average playing mostly run downs where it’s harder to get pressure. At 6-foot-3, 305-pounds he could likely play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. Choosing between him and Linval Joseph seems like a coinflip in my book. Joseph may be younger and more proven, but Jones’ talent and production on a per play basis has outpaced Joseph’s.

seems money well spent..not a pass rusher but solid

If he stays healthy...there doenst seem to be a downside here

That's what a pass rush is for. A pass rush makes everyone in the secondary's job easier

this is why I'd rather invest more in the Dline and backers than the secondary........if you have a very good Dline and backers, then the secondary doesn't have to be world beaters...they still need to be solid, but you won't need a Revis type

this is why I'd rather invest more in the Dline and backers than the secondary........if you have a very good Dline and backers, then the secondary doesn't have to be world beaters...they still need to be solid, but you won't need a Revis type

Don't even have to be solid.

Prime example: Rams vs Cardinals when Janoris Jenkins strapped Larry Fitzgerald. Never in your life have you ever heard of a rookie strapping Larry. Thus lead to a member of this forum (can't remember who) made a thread saying Jenkins was balling when in reality it was Long & Quick who made that entire secondary look good as they dismantled the cardinals QB

Don't even have to be solid.

Prime example: Rams vs Cardinals when Janoris Jenkins strapped Larry Fitzgerald. Never in your life have you ever heard of a rookie strapping Larry. Thus lead to a member of this forum (can't remember who) made a thread saying Jenkins was balling when in reality it was Long & Quick who made that entire secondary look good as they dismantled the cardinals QB

very true....also Rams have a pretty nasty pass rush too

I agree completely. That's what I've been saying this whole time and in all the Davis threads. Rather spend Davis $$ on the line and get a good cb not great. If anything I'd rather have a better fs who can roam the back half while our line crushes the front

Sources predict Arthur Jones will sign with the Indianapolis Colts as soon as today. Expected between $6 million and $7 million per year

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)

March 11, 2014

Obvious fit. Pagano coached him for 2 years in Baltimore. 27 years old with 53 tackles and 4 sacks last year. And can fit into 3-4 or 4-3 schemes. Perfect for our hybrid Defense. Word is that the Titans, Redskins, Packers and Giants were all after him too.

And yes...he's the older brother of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones and Patriots (asterisk)* DE Chandler Jones.

Jones' Situational Stats

An entire family of badasses!!! I love it! 

Sounds awesome, thanks for the confirmation Brian! Will be very excited to have him on the team. This is the first step towards fixing the defense!

coudn't view at work, who's the confirmation from?

Not positive I'd swear on a Bible that it is done. Purple Reign is a decent source but I think they (like seemingly all other tweeters this morning) are going off of the original tweet by Aaron Wilson. He covers the Ravens for the Baltimore Sun though...so I'm willing to roll with his sourcing. ;)

Sounds awesome, thanks for the confirmation Brian! Will be very excited to have him on the team. This is the first step towards fixing the defense!

Improving the line improves our pass rush. Not because they may be pass rushers but more so they free up Mathis, walden, Werner and our olbers to roam, blitz and pass rush. It ALL starts up front.

I meant if we sign Jones and fix the D-Line, we'll be able to stop the run, but even with Davis, we weren't able to stop Alex Smith from Passing all over us, and that's scary.

Arthur Jones pass rush numbers are much better than any other DE we have. There is a reason we are going after him. Its a long season and aging vets like Cory Redding are bound to get tired and we need a deep rotation, Arthur Jones gives us that and that will have a ripple effect on the efficiency of the other DL.

Besides, I felt it was our LBs and safeties that were more responsible for our run D woes than our DL. The role of our DL was to play stalemate so that our 4 LBs and/or safeties can finish the job. We got enough stalemates at the line of scrimmage but our LBs and safeties either took wrong angles or gaps or gave up yards after contact more often than we wanted them to, at least that is what I felt.

If we want tackles for losses more often, it will still mostly come from an LB or safety shooting the gap in our 2-gap system. Or play a 1-gap every now and then with your DTs, like Broncos did with Pot Roast which led to some tackles for loss vs the same Blount we had trouble with.

I like this signing! I don't have a huge problem with his contract but it's a bit too much. Bolster that D Line!

of course it is  :bored:

So as of now our starting D-line will probably be Francois, Redding, and Jones, unless we upgrade at NT as well.  

I'd expect Jones to take over starting at DE with Redding playing more of a rotational role.  I also don't think we need an upgrade at NT but rather someone for depth to rotate with Chapman.

I'd expect Jones to take over starting at DE with Redding playing more of a rotational role.  I also don't think we need an upgrade at NT but rather someone for depth to rotate with Chapman.

Yep. I agree. I sure wouldn't have a problem with re-signing Franklin if for anything depth alone. Unless of course Grigson already has someone in his sites.

He's not really known as a pass rusher though, more of a run stuffer. So he's right in saying we need to bring in 2 impact secondary players if Davis and Bethea aren't brought back.

Arthur Jones pass rush numbers are much better than any other DE we have. There is a reason we are going after him. Its a long season and aging vets like Cory Redding are bound to get tired and we need a deep rotation, Arthur Jones gives us that and that will have a ripple effect on the efficiency of the other DL.

Besides, I felt it was our LBs and safeties that were more responsible for our run D woes than our DL. The role of our DL was to play stalemate so that our 4 LBs and/or safeties can finish the job. We got enough stalemates at the line of scrimmage but our LBs and safeties either took wrong angles or gaps or gave up yards after contact more often than we wanted them to, at least that is what I felt.

If we want tackles for losses more often, it will still mostly come from an LB or safety shooting the gap in our 2-gap system. Or play a 1-gap every now and then with your DTs, like Broncos did with Pot Roast which led to some tackles for loss vs the same Blount we had trouble with.

Great post.

He's not really known as a pass rusher though, more of a run stuffer. So he's right in saying we need to bring in 2 impact secondary players if Davis and Bethea aren't brought back.

Ehhhh yes & no. What he is 'known' for is a relative term. But it seems like most NFL sources consider him to be able to do both in either a 4/3 or 3/4.

No he's more of a run stuffer who can rush the passer. Might point was he will take up blockers and cause havoc forcing the qb to throw faster and taking up blocks on run downs. Our money is better spent on the front 7