Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can anyone explain why the D is so Jekle & Hyde?

sb2001

It really is single mistakes by individual players......and a lot of that is newness of players replacing others, or vets covering mistakes by newer players, or players playing injured.

This isn't like the past where teams just pushed us backwards and ran wild.

The first big play by Bowe was a whiff by Landry. One bad play by one player. Josh Jordy allowed a TD (and we had a corner playing safety on that play) after just coming into the game and so on. Again, I am not making excuses, but I remember our defenses where players where where they should be, but just couldn't get it done. We just need to be more consistent and healthy.

In rewatching the game, they weren't as bad as I first thought.  The Chiefs got 17 points off turnovers and short fields.  Other than that, it basically came down to two big plays.  I don't remember if Toler was the culprit on both, but they have to get that buttoned up.  So, if you add it up, the majority of their points came from just a handful of bad plays on offense and defense.  . 

Well those turn overs on on offense didn't help the D out much either!!

I risk sounding like a homer, but there were several blatant holds and picks that went uncalled, and just abut every big KC O play in the first happened in conjunction with those missed calls.

Well those turn overs on on offense didn't help the D out much either!!

Seeing as how we were down by 21 before Luck threw an int I would say the d didn't help themselves at all.  Richardson fumbled and caused one of the tds but the defense still stopped NOTHING the first half.  They played the same way for six games after the Denver win and really only started playing quality defense the last 3 games of the season.  And the Colts didn't turn the ball over much during the season.  No excuses.

Its the playoffs the defense better man up for three more games or let someone in that can play (Toler).

Sometimes, the D seems "dazed and confused". This is probably coaching too much.

In pro football, a player doesn't really have time to think while the play is in progress. All thinking is done before the snap of the ball. After that, it's read and react. Hopefully the right people with the right skills are in the right place, and they make the play.

Sometimes, the D seems "dazed and confused". This is probably coaching too much.

In pro football, a player doesn't really have time to think while the play is in progress. All thinking is done before the snap of the ball. After that, it's read and react. Hopefully the right people with the right skills are in the right place, and they make the play.

true

Injuries played a major role with our Defensive inconsistencies.  Toler not being healthy for a majority of the year.  Injuries along our defensive line in specific. Thus this carousel of inconsistent play.  You can always thrown in play calling as a reason as well.  Overall imo the defensive play calling has been good.  

Well wasn't the Jekle and Hyde story a literary hat tip to Dr. Freud (Mr.  ID, Ego and Super Ego). So if that's the case I suspect you need a Psychiatrist to answer your question and I would suggest a modern one that knows more about football than Dr. Freud. And you're going to need a really big couch…...

We have a habit for not getting things straighten out before after half time as far as the Defense goes. Is that because DC Manusky can't adjust on the fly? Or maybe Pagano is the man to really see and correct those things but he doesn't have the time to do that before half time? Honest question! :dunno:

Well wasn't the Jekle and Hyde story a literary hat tip to Dr. Freud (Mr.  ID, Ego and Super Ego). So if that's the case I suspect you need a Psychiatrist to answer your question and I would suggest a modern one that knows more about football than Dr. Freud. And you're going to need a really big couch…...

Considering Dr. Jekyll and Mr. hyde was writting in 1886 and Freud did not publish anything about the Id, ego and superego until the 1920s, I doubt it.  But Freud did believe that writers and poets knew about the unconcious mind and it was because of books like DJMH that lead him to study the Unconcious mind.

Considering Dr. Jekyll and Mr. hyde was writting in 1886 and Freud did not publish anything about the Id, ego and superego until the 1920s, I doubt it.  But Freud did believe that writers and poets knew about the unconcious mind and it was because of books like DJMH that lead him to study the Unconcious mind.

Thanks for the correction Coffee. It does seem that the story line of DJMH suggests that Dr Jekyll's super ego went on vacation when he drank the potion.

Thanks for the correction Coffee. It does seem that the story line of DJMH suggests that Dr Jekyll's super ego went on vacation when he drank the potion.

Oh you are correct, the who story line of DJMH was what would happen if you were to strip away the guilt associated with deviating from parental and societal norms. It just wasnt't until later that Freud labeled the process the ID, Ego and SuperEgo.  When you look at it the story through that concept, what Dr. Jekyll did was to bring his ID forward and totally surpress the superego.  The real horror of the novel was Dr. Jekyll (the ego if you will) liked the lifestyle of the ID better and made the decision to supress the superego without the elixir.

It's an apt comparison and shows that Robert Louis Stevenson was ahead of his time on many of his writings.  His study and depth of understanding of the human mind was years ahead of people like Freud, Jung and others.

In rewatching the game, they weren't as bad as I first thought.  The Chiefs got 17 points off turnovers and short fields.  Other than that, it basically came down to two big plays.  I don't remember if Toler was the culprit on both, but they have to get that buttoned up.  So, if you add it up, the majority of their points came from just a handful of bad plays on offense and defense.  . 

I felt the same way after rewatching it last night, even said so on the replay thread that was posted here.

And yes, Toler was a big part in 10 of those points. He flat out got toasted by Avery on the long TD, and he got beat  easily by Bowe on the slant and then also missed the tackle, along with Landry.

I felt the same way after rewatching it last night, even said so on the replay thread that was posted here.

And yes, Toler was a big part in 10 of those points. He flat out got toasted by Avery on the long TD, and he got beat  easily by Bowe on the slant and then also missed the tackle, along with Landry.

toler was playing hurt, he is better than that, and even hurt he forced bowe out of bounds to finish them off

The reason why the defense is so inconsistent is because of the d-line, the game is won in the trenches. Redding is the only D-lineman on the team that is starter material. RJF and Franklin Imo are the biggest reasons were so bad especially vs the run. Both of those guys are small compared to other 3-4 DE's and NT's. All season those two have been pushed back off the line of scrimmage for the most part. 

Look at a team like the Chargers with Luiget, Reyes, and Cam Thomas. All of them are huge, strong, and can take on double teams which makes it easier on the LB's. Once we get a DE like Arthur Jones in a true NT possibly in the draft, then the defense will look like what Pagano invisioned.

One minute the D looks like they never played pro football and the next they look like the greatest D ever, why?

I don't see how you can say the D.  Its the whole team.  Offense and defense.  Not just the D

Sane is true of the offense....Has been for 2 years..

I don't have any answers

I think Coffeedrinker may have hit the nail on the head (look below)

Because Manusky (the Colts' coaching staff in general) is terrible at developing a game plan but they are good at making adjustments.

I think this is the best explanation right here.