Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst Playoff path EVER

Narcosys

So im thinking we end up going 10-6.  We get 4th seed.  Heres the most probably route to the SB.

vs. Chiefs

@ Denver

@ NE (Can switch these two if the Bengals lose first round)

Talk about stomach churning.

Even with we go 11-5 or amazing 12-4 were still 3rd seed

vs. Steelers (Dolphins Ravens)

@ NE

@ Denver (Maybe get lucky and be vs Chiefs)

Still horrible.

Then for the SB youre looking at most likely NO or Seattle, thats no fun either.  I mean we have beaten the Seahawks, but it was at home, and with Reggie.  Plus i think we would match up very poorly against New Orleans offense. 

I think the first path is the most likely and that does not give me happy thoughts.  Anyone elses thoughts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The second we got all the offensive injuries and the defence was revealed to still suck to an extent, I thought it was extremely unlikely that we'd be superbowl contenders. No matter who we got put up against. 

I'd be happy with getting to the divisional round, just so long as we don't get knocked out in the wild card again. Think a playoff win is exactly what Luck needs at this stage in his career. SB wins will probably come 2-5 years down the line.

The win today did little to ease my frustration...I don't honestly feel we would beat any of the other division winners and would more than likely get taken out by a surging 5 or 6 seed...This offense of the Colts is critically bad in my opinion. Our record is little indication of how we match up talent wise with the rest of the NFL. We have shown incredible heart and resilience at times, but the fact remains we don't have enough receiving weapons and the line is very, very inconsistent and often flat out bad. The lack of production we have been getting out of this offense has not been acceptable. The way this team is playing, we cannot compete in the playoffs. We will most likely face a surging team and be playing from behind right from the gate...If this was one game or even two, I wouldn't have this opinion. But, we have seen over half a season now of poor play by the offensive line and one of the poorest running games in football. And by the way, I think Donald Brown played very well today. He clearly knows every yard is going to be a terrible fight and you can see it in his aggressive style. The final drive was good, I admit that. But I have little faith that will carry into next week or the week after. One of the few positives to come out of the afternoon was the defense. I would say B+ all around as a unit, but honestly, the Titans were far from playing their best offensively and missing their best, most productive weapon in Walker for most of the game. It is going to be very difficult for this team to win a playoff game. We need to establish at least some kind of offensive rhythm...I would take a much poorer overall record and have a sound team that is finding their rhythm. It really feels we have been on the ropes for most of the season...

The playoffs rarely go as planned

No, but thats the path. We will get the Chiefs now almost assuredly.  So if we win, we go to NE or Denver (depending on How Cinci does).  If we win that, we go to NE or Denver or Cinci (But i dont see them beating the patriots)

If we are third seed, we go to NE, if we win there, we go to Denver or we get Cinci/Chiefs. 

ALL cruddy scenarios.

But atleast we get a playoff game preview.  We face both the Bengals and the Chiefs.  So we will have a good idea of how to play the Chiefs come playoff time.

Outside of Fleener, I don't think Luck is really finding his comfort zone in the passing game. Running the ball is crucial, but what little success we have had has been our passing attack and Luck's occasional scrambling. It would have been great to get Da'Rick Rogers more involved today. I'm just done with DHB. The guy has had enough of a window for us to see what he brings- occasional depth in the passing game and not a reliable target.

Based on how we are playing recently, most likely we would be 1&done in the PO. We can't do much with a receiver who can't catch anything but cold. We'd need better wideout corps, better O-line and more pass-rush (however McNary did great yesterday beside Mathis).

Unfortunately we aren't in the SB consideration yet, significant season-ending injuries on the O-line at the beginning of the season are putting us out of that. 

We won yesterday, but if we are looking beyond that...

There is no easy road in the playoffs. If you are a legitimate contender , which you are , you can beat KC and the Bengals in the regular season . You haven't played well lately, but that doesn't mean you can't go on a roll. The injuries are tough, but everyone has them. If you get a home playoff game, be happy, because we're all in the same conference with NE, who gets *s in their division nearly every year, assuring home field advantage most years. I'm not sold at all on KC and the Bengals. We know Denver and Manning are vulnerable in cold weather , and NE can be beaten at home, as the Ravens have proved in two of their last three playoff meetings.

The Ravens can be dangerous if they get in, but both they, and the Colts have horrible offensive line issues. Both these lines are getting Flacco and Luck killed. I think this year is as wide open as it gets.

Last year we thought we had the easiest playoff opponent because the Ravens looked bad all year.

This year, I'm sure some teams fans are going to be happy they're playing us.

And so it goes...

As I've said , if the Ravens come to Indy for the first round as a 6th seed, I'm ecstatic. I would give us a punchers chance the way Flacco and the Ravens have success in the playoffs. The 1-5 regular season road record would concern me , but they usually play well on the road in the playoffs.

This year we've looked bad again, so I'm sure all opposing fan bases would welcome seeing us. Just remember though , Flacco had won at least one playoff game for the last five years. We will see what happens, but just getting to Indy after this horrible up and down season, would be an accomplishment.

As I've said , if the Ravens come to Indy for the first round as a 6th seed, I'm ecstatic. I would give us a punchers chance the way Flacco and the Ravens have success in the playoffs. The 1-5 regular season road record would concern me , but they usually play well on the road in the playoffs.

This year we've looked bad again, so I'm sure all opposing fan bases would welcome seeing us. Just remember though , Flacco had won at least one playoff game for the last five years. We will see what happens, but just getting to Indy after this horrible up and down season, would be an accomplishment.

There were times yesterday that I thought we wouldn't win another game this year.  First order is to make the playoffs.  One more win or a Titans loss and we're in.

After that, it's a matter of getting hot.  Giants, Cardinals, and Ravens fans know that better than anyone.

I have no preference on who we play, as long as we're in.  We've shown we can beat the best and get beat by the least.  Everyone expects a Broncos Patriots rematch for the AFC championship.  I won't be surprised in the least if that doesn't happen.

There were times yesterday that I thought we wouldn't win another game this year. First order is to make the playoffs. One more win or a Titans loss and we're in.

After that, it's a matter of getting hot. Giants, Cardinals, and Ravens fans know that better than anyone.

I have no preference on who we play, as long as we're in. We've shown we can beat the best and get beat by the least. Everyone expects a Broncos Patriots rematch for the AFC championship. I won't be surprised in the least if that doesn't happen.

The other component is getting as many injured players back for the playoffs. That happened with the Ravens last year when we rested everyone for the last Bengals game , when we had already wrapped up the division. I'm not sure who will be back for the Colts for the playoffs , but the Ravens have a 10 day rest now to get players back, and Pitta is set to return against the Vikings. Obviously, Wayne is out, but hopefully for the Colts, they get some players back for the playoffs.

Guys. Regardless of how we do in the play offs, let not forget this is still a very young team with s lot of stop gap players. Heck I'll be thrilled we are where we are at.

Besides crappy o line play, our biggest problem is predictability. Even the radio announcers were predicting the plays pep would call. Sadly, I think pep is holding this team back.

Playoffs rarely go as planned.

I honestly thought we would run the table in 2005, out in the first round.

I didn't think we would make it out of Baltimore in 2006, won the SB.

Also ask the 2007 Giants about how their playoffs were supposed to go.

And I would have thought the Ravens would have won in 2006, and never had a chance last year. You never know.

Winning a superbowl is NEVER easy. its a single elimination tournament with the top 12 teams in the league.

Whoever we wind up playing keep in mind its a 1 game playoff not a best of 7

Anything and Everything can happen in a single game so you flip the coin and the game goes from there

Goal 1 achieved: Win your Division

Goal 2                 Host a playoff game

Goal 3                 Next Game

So im thinking we end up going 10-6.  We get 4th seed.  Heres the most probably route to the SB.

vs. Chiefs

@ Denver

@ NE (Can switch these two if the Bengals lose first round)

Talk about stomach churning.

Even with we go 11-5 or amazing 12-4 were still 3rd seed

vs. Steelers (Dolphins Ravens)

@ NE

@ Denver (Maybe get lucky and be vs Chiefs)

Still horrible.

Then for the SB youre looking at most likely NO or Seattle, thats no fun either.  I mean we have beaten the Seahawks, but it was at home, and with Reggie.  Plus i think we would match up very poorly against New Orleans offense. 

I think the first path is the most likely and that does not give me happy thoughts.  Anyone elses thoughts?

It sure looks like the Colts (unless we win at Cincy this Sunday) will be the 4th seed..

...and KC is almost certainly the No. 5 seed...

..That would send us to Denver..which almost certainly now will be the No.1 seed..and, if we pull the upset,  then NE

You are right....Narco.....and that's a hard. dusty road

Ravens lost, what, 3 out of their last 5 games before they went on their run. colts, lost 3 out of their last 4 before we won our SB.

Heck, Tebow lost his last 3 and much to the chagrin of a lot of folks here, won the playoff game vs Steelers at home.

Get in, then roll with it by stepping up.

The other component is getting as many injured players back for the playoffs. That happened with the Ravens last year when we rested everyone for the last Bengals game , when we had already wrapped up the division. I'm not sure who will be back for the Colts for the playoffs , but the Ravens have a 10 day rest now to get players back, and Pitta is set to return against the Vikings. Obviously, Wayne is out, but hopefully for the Colts, they get some players back for the playoffs.

but aren't all of our injured players on the IR not eligable to return?.

We have zero reliable pass catchers, and the interior o-line is terrible. The Colts are not SB contenders, they are sloppy and don't excell at much of anything, in the same breath don't let them hang around in a close game, they do know how to win in the 4th.

our best asset is that we are unpredictable

We've definitely got a hard road to the playoffs, but this team is for dang sure not Super Bowl ready. The o-line, the inconsistency in the offense, and the defense is just killer.

bad o-line, bad play calling on offense, no pass rush, angerer needs replaced, cant get off blocks and just stands around, too many dropped passes, hard too win in the playoffs unless we fix some of these.

The only difference maker the Colts hope to get back is Toler.  He's not an elite CB, but he's decent. And you can never have enough depth in the D backfield.

There's always a chance that some players step up, like Rogers or Werner. 

That all being said, the people here who are writing us off as one and done don't get it.  But that's okay, it's their choice.

I'm always an optimist.  We know it can happen, it has in the past.