Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell On Hot Seat (Merge)

jwilli69

Spurrier doesn't know how to run a pro offense,so no way on thatone.Saban had a pretty good team in Miami and didn't do squat,he couldn't wait to get out of the NFL.So I disagree with this any successful college coach could do it business

Spurrier didn't have a pro qb in Washington He had Florida qb's in Washington. Saban had a decent defense, but he didn't have an offense or qb.

I didn't say any successful college coach could do anything. I said that those two college coaches that failed at Wash & Miami respectively would have had success here with Manning.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, just curious, where did you find that quote from my user name? I didn't type that and its not my quote. Something weird is happening, I read that a couple of times to make sure I wasn't going crazy and well, Im not, Thats not my quote!

I think the top part (that you didn't say) is their response to the first quote and it just got mixed into the quote box for your post. :)

The first time Tressel fails will be the first.He was arguably the best coach at Youngstown St. and OSU.Youngstown and OSU are not likely to be as good as when he was there any time soon.I don't care about the NCAA and their stupid rules either,irrelevant.I would almost certainly thnk he has better clock management skills than Caldwell and a track record of success unlike Caldwell.With PM at QB,NFL experience is overrated.A good coach is a good coach,look at Harbaugh.

Edited by mahagga73

I think if tressell is the head coach he will want a run game which means a power run game meaning addai would be used as a passing back but in the draft we will be getting a power back like AP, CJ, ray rice, etc. and that i think would be great then he will use alot of picks to get the D to where he wants it which would be a good thing.

Unless we go 0-16 Caldwell is not going anywhere. This is the handpicked guy to replace Dungy and Polian and Irsay both to sign off of him. It would take a lot of guts to say we were completely wrong. I just see Polian being to stubborn to get rid of Caldwell. Now I fully expect Coyer and Rychleski to be gone.

Now if we go 0-16 I think the whole staff should be gone. There is no excuse for this team to go 0-16. Not even missing Manning is a good enough excuse.

I think if tressell is the head coach he will want a run game which means a power run game meaning addai would be used as a passing back but in the draft we will be getting a power back like AP, CJ, ray rice, etc. and that i think would be great then he will use alot of picks to get the D to where he wants it which would be a good thing.

Tressell would not be stupid enough to change Peyton's offence.

He would hopefully focus on the defence, make better personnel decisions and better game management and adjustments which is Caldwell's biggest weakness.

I would not make a move of any kind until after the season..

It would all depend on what direction the Colts want to go in if they do fire Caldwell and it also depends on the rules on the matter. What I mean by the rules is that I'm not sure if they'd be allowed to go outside the organization to hire a new coach until after the season is over. Does anyone know anything about this? If they can go outside the organization, then it would depend on if they want to go after one of the highly touted coaching free agents like Billick, Gruden, Cowher or Fisher...or if they'd also like to consider any current coordinators or position coaches that are currently employed by another team. If they want to go after one of the FA coaches then fire Caldwell now, name Christiansen interim coach and then start interviewing and hire the guy as soon as you make the decision. That way the new coach can come in and start working with the team and coaches now and get a head start on the next season, like others have mentioned. If they want to interview coordinators too then clearly they have to wait until the season is over and in that case it really wouldn't serve any purpose to fire Caldwell now, unless they just want to make a statement.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't know if Tressel would be a good professional coach or not, but the idea of him being the Colts coach isn't a whole lot more exciting to me than Caldwell is. Some guys just aren't cut out to coach full grown men even though they may be great at the collegiate level. Oh well, Im willing to give him a shot if they go ahead and get rid of Caldwell.

please get anyone, start now heck i'd be for lee corso.man i hope mort is right. Edited by LUVTHESHOE

what is the fascination with jim tressel??

he got caught cheating at youngstown state and ohio state!

i don't believe there is any way the colts would hire a college coach.

Who cares about the NCAA and their stupid rules,irrelevant.He's a winner,has won everywhere he has been.Can he be any more clueless than Caldwell?

I have my wish list divided into two sections. Those with and those without NFL head coaching experience.

Rob Ryan tops the list without HC experience.

Jeff Fisher tops the list with HC experience.

Some will argue Rob Ryan is tied to the 3-4. This isn't exactly true. I'm sure it's his preference and if he were hired, it would be installed over time, but the guy know defense. The whole family knows defense and there is no doubt in my mind he would make our 11 far more productive and better than they currently are. He has experience in the 4-3 with Oakland and New England. New England during his time there ran far more 4-3 than many will want to admit, and Belichick has even gone on record stating the same this year. He's also well versed in the 46.

I wanted his brother to take over the Colts when Dungy retired but we ended up with Caldwell.

We need a difference maker at head coach and we certainly do not have one presently.

Edited by FIreJimmy

I would not make a move of any kind until after the season..

...the present team is crippled..

..and then it would be a proven pro coach..

Not Jim Tressel...

..I dont see a lack of effort..although I'd like the defensive philosphy to change

Hey! We do agree on some things. Pretty much all this.

I don't necessarily think a "proven" NFL coach is the answer either. How did these guys become "proven" - someone gave them a shot at a head coaching job. And we have seen in enough situations that when coaches move from one team to another the results aren't quite what you want. I wish we could have gotten Harbaugh as a coach. I guess I would be more inclined to look for a young motivated guy that has shown some success while moving up the coaching ranks.

If you guys think Caldwell's style is too conservative and not gusty enough, you will HATE watching a Tressel-coached team. I'd like to see the Colts take their time and really bring in some guys and evaluate where they want to go with the team. My short list would be Cowher, Rob Ryan, Gruden. If none of those guys want it, then you start looking at guys at the next tier.

It's going to be Tressel as head coach and Jack Del Rio as defensive coordinator. Jack won't get a head coaching job.

I"m curious to see what kind of responses come from that, but personally I would be very excited for him to be our DC. I'd rather Brian Billick be the head coach though and he and Del Rio have history because Del Rio was on the coaching staff of the 2000 Ravens. Then Tressel, if he's going to be a coach, could be OC. I'm really not sure I'd be a fan of giving a college coach his first coaching gig as HC during the last years of Manning and the other Vets.

:)

Edited by Jason

First, rumor monger Mort is not a source I would hang my hat on. It would be like betting your 20,000 Canadian on the rumor from Jim about all of the adjustments we were making that would guarantee a win in Cincinnati. There is no way they fire Caldwell in the season or after it. When Manning comes back next year, if we don't make the playoffs, then they might after the 2012 season, but not before.

Just think of the story lines with Fisher as HC in Super Bowl...the wearing of PM jersey and wanting to "feel like a winner" then being 1 yard short of winning a SB. I remember Fisher saying of that 1 yard he has never watched the reply of game, or was 10 years after that he could. Fisher would get a ton of support from all the fans to win a SB.

Edited by Coltsagent

I think you have to consider it if we fall to 0-9 which is entirely possible. I don't care what team you play for or the loyality lines that exist. 0-9 is inexcusable. Peyton is good but geez this team can't win a stinking game without him thus far. Something has gotta changed.