Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell On Hot Seat (Merge)

jwilli69

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't know if Tressel would be a good professional coach or not, but the idea of him being the Colts coach isn't a whole lot more exciting to me than Caldwell is. Some guys just aren't cut out to coach full grown men even though they may be great at the collegiate level. Oh well, Im willing to give him a shot if they go ahead and get rid of Caldwell.

Im in complete agreement with this notion, but i wouldnt be surprised if Caldwell is let go for Tressel. Caldwell simply doesnt make adjustments needed to win games.

alsoi see at end 2nd article

Yes its the bleacher report a so take it for what its worth

In 2009, Jim Caldwell was extremely lucky to take over for former head coach Tony Dungy. The team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, and fielded arguably the most potent offense in the NFL.

And Caldwell was lucky in that he didn't even really have to coach the offense, as mastermind QB Peyton Manning took care of that himself in the uptempo, hurry-up offense.

The Colts lost in Super Bowl XLIV that year, and it's all been downhill from there as Caldwell has been exposed for what he's always been: a fill-in coach that was more of a "friend" to his players than a head coach.

Since then, the Colts built their team and payroll around three core players, and they are really paying for it now.

Caldwell was lucky to have Manning bail him out late in games in '09 and '10.

His in-game adjustments and clock management have always been terrible; and recent personnel moves even worse.

The team has lost its identity and has failed to win a game this season. However, they were in a position to win the last two games, yet failed to make plays when the game counted in the fourth quarter.

A former quarterbacks coach, Caldwell may never get the opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL again. He will suffer the same fate as (former quarterbacks coach) Jim Zorn, who was in a similar position as head coach of the Redskins. And he got the ax.

Caldwell will be fired at the conclusion of the 2011 season, if not sooner.

Hot seat score (9): sizzling

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/901123-nfl-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-week-7-edition#/articles/901123-nfl-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-week-7-edition/page/5

Adam Schein of FOX Sports and SIRIUS NFL radio has covered the Colts for a while. He's a New York guy and, for me, I think his analysis and observations of the franchise have been fair and knowledgeable. Thus, for me, when Schein startsopenly chirping that a coach like Jim Caldwell should be fired, then that coach probably should be.

I’ll just go ahead and write it: Jim Caldwell should be the ex-coach of the Colts when the season is over.

I take no pleasure in writing that. Caldwell is one of the most decent people you will ever meet. And it isn’t his fault the organization was ill-prepared for 2011 and Peyton Manning’s health. But Caldwell is a bad head coach.

Schien elaborates on this:

What are his skills? Why should he stay on in Indy? If you disagree with my take, enlighten me on his strengths. His in-game management has always been suspect, starting with his disastrous and goofy clock management at the end of the playoff loss to the
last year that had Manning shaking his head from the sidelines.

He is supposed to be an offensive coach and a quarterback guru. Have we seen that? His winless team has appeared flat and uninterested.

Of Course Stampede Blue adds

If this franchise is to truly have a 'fresh voice,' as Schein correctly says it needs, then that is impossible as long as the Polians are in charge. They rule with an iron fist, and should they fire Caldwell (and they will, write it down) they'll replace him with another coach that does nothing but nod. Regime change is needed if this organization is to get back to being one of the best in football.

Edited by bayone

I am in the camp that Caldwell cannot get a pass while blaming just his coaches if the team goes 0-16 or 1-15 or 2-14. Unless we pull out 5 or 6 wins in the next 10 games (which is a fair extrapolation for the absence of Manning), there would be no justification for Caldwell, Coyer and Rychleski to be retained, IMO.

If Peyton does not come back this season, I am sure the Colts withhold the facts on Peyton's health thus maintaining an edge on draft day. The question is, by hiring a new set of coaches, will that move make up for silence on Peyton's health (forcing season ticket holders/applicants to choose based on benefit of doubt)??? I have always believed that bringing in Kerry Collins was more of a PR move since the fans' reputation of Painter was not a good one and in order to keep Colts fans coming to the game and not giving up their tickets on stubhub or other means, Collins was brought in 2 weeks prior to the start of the season. The knee jerk reaction was clearly not the most sound football move (as Reggie questioned), so IMO, it had to be more of a PR move than football move hoping it works out on the field as well (which it did not).

The same thing will apply in the offseason if we go 2-14 or worse, hiring a new set of football coaches will serve as both a football and PR move, I so can definitely see it happening. Just my two cents on it.

Edited by chad72

And yet, his defenses were consistently top 10 in the FBS.

One thing about Jim Tressel was he was a good in-game coach in making adjustments. But he couldn't do much when his teams were outmatched by the SEC players' speed. If the other team is much better, there is only so much you can do.

Edited by chad72

One thing about Jim Tressel was he was a good in-game coach in making adjustments. But he couldn't do much when his teams were outmatched by the SEC players' speed. If the other team is much better, there is only so much you can do.

That goes back to the old saying of the x's and o's can't do much against superior Johnny's and Joe's.

From Bleacher Report

Caldwell

Word:
Disinterested
verb, (disinterest)
A lack of interest

Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, is far from the most energetic guy on the sidelines. In fact it's tough to get much emotion from him at all.

While that is fine while the team wins, the loss of quarterback
means that the team needs some fiery leadership, and unfortunately Caldwell isn't the guy to do that.

Then again it's not always easy to get fired up about watching the play of backup quarterback Curtis Painter.