Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell On Hot Seat (Merge)

jwilli69

Sounds like Jim Tressell is on the analysts radar as a possible replacement as well for Caldwell. I have said, he isn't in the booth for a replay assistant, he is there as an interim at the end of the season to see what he can do IF they decide to cut bait with Caldwell.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't know if Tressel would be a good professional coach or not, but the idea of him being the Colts coach isn't a whole lot more exciting to me than Caldwell is. Some guys just aren't cut out to coach full grown men even though they may be great at the collegiate level. Oh well, Im willing to give him a shot if they go ahead and get rid of Caldwell.

that seat better be on fire...Tressal makes me nervous... I'm not going to lie I don't watch a lot of college.. at least not enough to feel like i have an informed opinion... he is just unproven.. so someone who knows what there talking about.. what should I expect with Tressal? is he a Def guy? an Off guy? can he... no... no he couldn't... make our special teams not completely suck??

Is trying out a college coach really a better idea then hiring a proven coach? there so so many out there :unsure:

that seat better be on fire...Tressal makes me nervous... I'm not going to lie I don't watch a lot of college.. at least not enough to feel like i have an informed opinion... he is just unproven.. so someone who knows what there talking about.. what should I expect with Tressal? is he a Def guy? an Off guy? can he... no... no he couldn't... make our special teams not completely suck??

Is trying out a college coach really a better idea then hiring a proven coach? there so so many out there :unsure:

He is more of an offensive guy. His "specialty" is quarterbacks and receivers.

Tressel is an offensive guy. There is no way to know if he would be a successful pro coach and im not sure why they would even want to hire another offensive guy to begin with. Tressel had a lot of success in college, but that means nothing in the pro's. At this point though, I would rather have just about anybody other than Caldwell. This team needs an attitude change.

they can't just hire Tressel. there is the "Rooney Rule" as well. Must go through an extensive interview process. Caldwell is an awful tactician IMO and so if you're Chris Polian sitting up in the owners box or GM's box and watching these horrific endings, something must be clicking up in his head.

Edited by chrisfarley

they can't just hire Tressel. there is the "Rooney Rule" as well. Must go through an extensive interview process. Caldwell is an awful tactician IMO and so if you're Chris Polian sitting up in the owners box or GM's box and watching these horrific endings, something must be clicking up in his head.

Right, but the Rooney rule can't force the Colts to actually consider anyone but Tressel...it simply forces them to go through the formality of interviewing multiple candidates. ;)

Sounds like Jim Tressell is on the analysts radar as a possible replacement as well for Caldwell. I have said, he isn't in the booth for a replay assistant, he is there as an interim at the end of the season to see what he can do IF they decide to cut bait with Caldwell.

If we actually hire Tressel as the next HC of the Colts, you can expect to see him on the "top 10 list" of college football coaches to bust in the nfl. Success in one doesn't equate to success in the other. See Saban, Spurrier, & Lou Holtz as further evidence. However, I think any goon with Manning behind center can win 10 games a season. Coaches help win championships and make key decisive calls with a favorable result.

Tressel would be an upgrade to Caldwell, but I'm not sure I'd have him in my top 5.

NCAA records has no bearing on the NFL, it is all about who they are coaching. If Spurrier or Saban had took over the Colts, then they both would have been successful. Neither had a professional QB on their respective rosters. Caldwell was horrible at Wake, he's horrible here but he has a winning record at this point. Tressel would have a winning record if Manning returns and plays 5 years.

18 is at a certain level, and the team is at a certain level with 18. We need a coach that pushes both of those up, instead of down like the current staff. We need a coach that can make a difference and move the team forward instead of stunting the growth of the franchise.

I think if they fired Caldwell in season they could name Tressel as an interim for the rest of the season.

I think if they fired Caldwell in season they could name Tressel as an interim for the rest of the season.

Can they if he's not actually on the existing coaching staff? Is he actually considered part of the coaching staff or is he an "advisor"? I honestly don't know but hopefully someone does.

Can they if he's not actually on the existing coaching staff? Is he actually considered part of the coaching staff or is he an "advisor"? I honestly don't know but hopefully someone does.

Well they say he is a gameday consultant, whether or not thats an actual part of the coaching staff, I have no idea so thats a good question.

I had to flip these around.

That is a good question. I'm not sure if a person has to be on staff to be named an interim coach or not.

If they can name him as an interim coach, I'm still fairly certain that he we would still have to go through the Rooney Rule process, which should actually be called the Al Davis rule since he was the first Owner to hire a coach of any color. Flores & Shell.

Watching NFL countdown Chris mort says Caldwell is on the hotseat and he thinks Jim tressal is in the mix to replace him. What do you guys think about this.

I said this the day they signed Tressel. He's an excellent college coach with a proven record. That doesn't mean he will be successful in the NFL, but he'll get his chance on day.

I hope the replacement head coach IS NOT Tressel. He didn't impress me at all at Ohio State and he is just as bland as Caldwell - in other words, he is not a threat to suiddenly become independent from the Polians stranglehold on power and visibility and "face of" the Colts.

Also what in the heck is Polian's unhealthy obsession with all things Big 10? Polian has proven his players drafted/acquired from the Big Ten are spotty at best.

Lord help our Colts (we could start by getting rid of the Polians then Caldwell).

If we actually hire Tressel as the next HC of the Colts, you can expect to see him on the "top 10 list" of college football coaches to bust in the nfl. Success in one doesn't equate to success in the other. See Saban, Spurrier, & Lou Holtz as further evidence. However, I think any goon with Manning behind center can win 10 games a season. Coaches help win championships and make key decisive calls with a favorable result.

I didn't say he would be a success or failure or even chosen as the head coach but I feel they have a plan or at least a back up plan that allows the team to either replace the offensive coord or the head coaching or both during the season if they continue at the epic failure rate. One thing we know, Tressell won't have to use boosters to maximize his talent pool.

I see the same thing as a possibility. Of course he could be here to boost the QB play from his upper booth spot and mentor Painter through this year. He could also be here to replace the innefective OC as well, we just have no idea and won't until it happens I guess.

I had to flip these around.

That is a good question. I'm not sure if a person has to be on staff to be named an interim coach or not.

Well they say he is a gameday consultant, whether or not thats an actual part of the coaching staff, I have no idea so thats a good question.

Somebody tell Jim to call up his "sources"...we need answers. lol

I hope is not just replacing one Jim with another. I would like to see them go after gruden or maybe Ryan in Dallas.

Gruden has repeatedly stated that he is happy where he is.

What makes us think Ryan will just up and leave his home in Dallas? Would you leave the talent you have there to come to a defense that's a mess?

We all want the celebrity names, but it's about finding the right fit. Provide us with a detailed analysis as to why those guys would make this franchise better both with Manning, and without. Oh, and it has to happen before next season. Rebuilding just isn't an option with how little time Manning has left.

I see the same thing as a possibility. Of course he could be here to boost the QB play from his upper booth spot and mentor Painter through this year. He could also be here to replace the innefective OC as well, we just have no idea and won't until it happens I guess.

Hey, just curious, where did you find that quote from my user name? I didn't type that and its not my quote. Something weird is happening, I read that a couple of times to make sure I wasn't going crazy and well, Im not, Thats not my quote!

Like many others, I'm not a fan of hiring Tressel as head coach. Why should we replace one guy with little NFL experience with another guy with little NFL experience?

Because Tressel has proven himself at the college level, yes, with some questionable ethics issue's, but nonetheless he was successful. Caldwell wasn't even successful at the college level and was terminated from that position, I believe.

Hey, just curious, where did you find that quote from my user name? I didn't type that and its not my quote. Something weird is happening, I read that a couple of times to make sure I wasn't going crazy and well, Im not, Thats not my quote! at least the 1st part isn't.

And why do people want Rob Ryan so bad? Rob Ryan runs the 3-4 defense and we don't have the personnel for it here.

He's primarily run a 3-4, but he's had experience with a 4-3(Oakland) and multifaceted defenses that run both(New England who many say is more of a 3-4 team, but runs as much 4-3 as they do 3-4. He's also well versed in the 46. Translation... he knows defense and there is no doubt that if he came here, he could put a better defense on the field than what we have.

And why do people want Rob Ryan so bad? Rob Ryan runs the 3-4 defense and we don't have the personnel for it here.

I can see why, but as you said we don't have the personnel for it. If we had the DEs/NTs for it then yes I can see why people would want a 3-4 DC running the D. The thought of Freeney rushing from standing up (a good % of the time) just seems odd.

I hope the replacement head coach IS NOT Tressel. He didn't impress me at all at Ohio State and he is just as bland as Caldwell - in other words, he is not a threat to suiddenly become independent from the Polians stranglehold on power and visibility and "face of" the Colts.

Also what in the heck is Polian's unhealthy obsession with all things Big 10? Polian has proven his players drafted/acquired from the Big Ten are spotty at best.

Lord help our Colts (we could start by getting rid of the Polians then Caldwell).

LOL,yeah all those consecutive big ten titles,bcs games,10 win seasons,anybody could have done that,lol.Caldwellwas 30-80 or something wasn't he?You are a tough grader

Right, but the Rooney rule can't force the Colts to actually consider anyone but Tressel...it simply forces them to go through the formality of interviewing multiple candidates. ;)

Tressel would be an upgrade to Caldwell, but I'm not sure I'd have him in my top 5.

NCAA records has no bearing on the NFL, it is all about who they are coaching. If Spurrier or Saban had took over the Colts, then they both would have been successful. Neither had a professional QB on their respective rosters. Caldwell was horrible at Wake, he's horrible here but he has a winning record at this point. Tressel would have a winning record if Manning returns and plays 5 years.

18 is at a certain level, and the team is at a certain level with 18. We need a coach that pushes both of those up, instead of down like the current staff. We need a coach that can make a difference and move the team forward instead of stunting the growth of the franchise.

Spurrier doesn't know how to run a pro offense,so no way on thatone.Saban had a pretty good team in Miami and didn't do squat,he couldn't wait to get out of the NFL.So I disagree with this any successful college coach could do it business