Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL shuffling has led to good results for several teams

chad72

Last year, what put the Ravens over the top was their OL shuffling.

They put Michael Oher from LT to RT, and Bryant McKinnie at LT and moving Oher allowed Osemele to go to OG, and boom, their pockets are solid and their offense takes off in the playoffs.

This year, we put McGlynn at Center from OG, and solidify our RT with Cherilus in free agency, put Thornton at LG and we have our best game of the season.

Broncos - that Ramirez guy, he was a below average OG, who is looking good at Center, sounds like someone I know (cough McGlynn, cough :)).

Once you get a good combination, it is best to leave it alone. I hope the OL continuity and chemistry keeps improving and extends to both run blocking and pass protection.

Thoughts???

I assumed the big change the Colts would make would be to bench McGlynn, not move him over to center. He had a pretty good game, but the Niners nose tackle was out. And the Jags don't have a very good defensive front. I'm hoping our line continues to grow together, no matter who is on the field. More and more reps, more situations, and the run game will start to really click. I'm eagerly awaiting an outburst at some point this season.

Pagano has already stated that if Satele is healthy he will start

That's what I have a problem with.  Satele might be the best individual C on the roster, but the line as a group performs better when someone else is in there.  Personally, I would love to see Holmes getting snaps at C so he can form strong chemistry with Luck, similar to what Peyton had with Saturday

I assumed the big change the Colts would make would be to bench McGlynn, not move him over to center. He had a pretty good game, but the Niners nose tackle was out. And the Jags don't have a very good defensive front. I'm hoping our line continues to grow together, no matter who is on the field. More and more reps, more situations, and the run game will start to really click. I'm eagerly awaiting an outburst at some point this season.

they had Glenn Dorsey at NT prob better than Ian Williams was

they had Glenn Dorsey at NT prob better than Ian Williams was

Not at all. Dorsey isn't really a nose tackle, though he might be able to fit in. Williams had played much better in previous games than Dorsey did on Sunday. McGlynn still did well, but he got a lot of help (which the center is supposed to).

I never understood the complaint about not shuffling the O Line to find the best 5, They all practice together in different spots in practice in case someone goes down, some are just better suited for positions then others then there is the flip side, if you got O Linemen that stink no matter where you put them then it dont matter what shuffling you do

Last year, what put the Ravens over the top was their OL shuffling.

They put Michael Oher from LT to RT, and Bryant McKinnie at LT and moving Oher allowed Osemele to go to OG, and boom, their pockets are solid and their offense takes off in the playoffs.

This year, we put McGlynn at Center from OG, and solidify our RT with Cherilus in free agency, put Thornton at LG and we have our best game of the season.

Broncos - that Ramirez guy, he was a below average OG, who is looking good at Center, sounds like someone I know (cough McGlynn, cough :)).

Once you get a good combination, it is best to leave it alone. I hope the OL continuity and chemistry keeps improving and extends to both run blocking and pass protection.

Thoughts???

I'm sure Pagano will do the stupid thing and play Satele if he is ready...doing the good thing by the player and the bad thing for the team.

The group that played Sunday did well but I also feel that you shouldn't lose your spot because you were injured

If you get your butt handed to you when you play your starter, then mix it up some and  you smack the 49ers in the mouth. Why wouldn't you lose your job? Satelle has no business playing C for the Colts. And McGlynn has no business playing guard for the Colts, but looked great at C.  Satelles butt should be catching splinters on the bench of another team.   :ticked:

Guest TeamLoloJones

If you get your butt handed to you when you play your starter, then mix it up some and  you smack the 49ers in the mouth. Why wouldn't you lose your job? Satelle has no business playing C for the Colts. And McGlynn has no business playing guard for the Colts, but looked great at C.  Satelles butt should be catching splinters on the bench of another team.   :ticked:

Barring a miracle Satele will be gone after this season. He has a $5 million cap hit next year with only $1 million in dead money.  Unless he takes a huge pay cut...he's cut

nope, Indy is just paying him a nice digit.       AQ beat him out last season.    And MCG looked real good last week.    SS looks REAL BAD EVERY week.

Satele must have compromising photos of someone in the front office - perhaps of interns tweeting under Irsay's account...

And as far as "losing your starting spot due to injury" ..   IF you are good enough to BEGIN with, YOU will be good enough to GET IT BACK.   

The NFL is a BUSINESS.      Nice guys finish last .      And deserves "got nothing to do with it" ...

Name the movie quote..                                                                                      ^

THIS...   it's sad but SS's "bond" to this franchise is monetarily.   And that is just sad.      AQ should be our C.

And now McG should be our C, but ...         

Barring a miracle Satele will be gone after this season. He has a $5 million cap hit next year with only $1 million in dead money.  Unless he takes a huge pay cut...he's cut

nope, Indy is just paying him a nice digit.       AQ beat him out last season.    And MCG looked real good last week.    SS looks REAL BAD EVERY week.

And as far as "losing your starting spot due to injury" ..   IF you are good enough to BEGIN with, YOU will be good enough to GET IT BACK.   

The NFL is a BUSINESS.      Nice guys finish last .      And deserves "got nothing to do with it" ...

Name the movie quote..                                                                                      ^

I once read a book on handwriting analysis and yours is eerily similar to the Uni-bombers.

I think the reason our o-line is doing better than expected is because of the highly competitive enivronment Grigson and Pagano created in training camp and in practices. I feel they pushed each other and are all better because of it. People talk of players talent like it is at a static level. I believe the o-line has gotten better all around and we have depth we didn't expect. The current competition to see who starts with keep pushing them to be even better.

Unforgiven Clint Eastwood to Gene Hackman. 

I think McGlynn had a decent day, but there were a few plays where his lack of strength was evident as he was one one one shoved back into Luck.  HOWEVER, I don't recall him losing his balance and falling on his butt or being completely spun around as he whiffed on a block, which Satele was good for at least 5-6 occurances per game!